What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got into a hit & run fender bender last week (2 Viewers)

How so?  Either your insurance will get the money for the estimated repairs or they wont.  If they will then let them do it.  I wouldn't trust anything the guy said, I wouldn't want to go through the extra hassles to make sure his check won't bounce or there won't be some other kind of excuse.
Theres still a ton to this story I don't think we are getting.  

How so?  Either your insurance will get the money for the estimated repairs or they wont.  If they will then let them do it.  I wouldn't trust anything the guy said, I wouldn't want to go through the extra hassles to make sure his check won't bounce or there won't be some other kind of excuse.
I guess I have to call the insurance back and see what the deal is. They tracked him down and called him directly, I assume to see if he would cop to the accident and how it happened, which he did. I think the only reason she called me was because the guy asked if we could work something out, otherwise she would have just told me where to get the damage appraised and I could expect a check from insurance in short order. Or she called because I don't have collision insurance through them and I would have to deal with it in some other way myself.

Guess you could do what a guy did to my ex. Take his money then turn it over to your insurance.  Long story short, let insurance handle it.

10 grand in cash we forget the whole thing.  Otherwise insurance.  I’d want to make it very worth my while to help a guy who was willing to leave me holding the  bag for  a situation not my doing

I left a message with the claims woman. Reading that if you get into a hit and run and have their plates, the insurance company will try to track the guy down, call them and try to get them to admit guilt. That's exactly what happened.

I'd go through insurance due to the hit and run nature.

I had a neighbor hit my mirror on my car about a year ago that wanted to handle on the side, and we agreed (neighbor so tried being amicable, and appreciated them not just doing a hit and run). Got our money, but they ended up asking questions on the estimate, etc. that made me wish I started with insurance from the start.

I left a message with the claims woman. Reading that if you get into a hit and run and have their plates, the insurance company will try to track the guy down, call them and try to get them to admit guilt. That's exactly what happened.
I had a guy rear end me on the highway.  We exchanged info and when I told my insurance, they came back a week later and said they tried to contact him to confirm he hit me, but since he never answered the phone, they just were going to call it no one's fault.  Luckily I took a picture of the guy holding his license.  I hate insurance companies.

If you’re planning to keep the money regardless, go get a couple repair estimates, give him the highest one, and see if he’ll cut you a check. Keeps you from committing insurance fraud.

If you’re planning to keep the money regardless, go get a couple repair estimates, give him the highest one, and see if he’ll cut you a check. Keeps you from committing insurance fraud.
If insurance isn't involved how would I be committing insurance fraud?

I had a guy rear end me on the highway.  We exchanged info and when I told my insurance, they came back a week later and said they tried to contact him to confirm he hit me, but since he never answered the phone, they just were going to call it no one's fault.  Luckily I took a picture of the guy holding his license.  I hate insurance companies.
File a complaint with your state’s department of insurance.  And then after your car is repaired, cancel your insurance and find a new carrier.

If someone rear ends another car in my state, it is automatically the fault of the person who rear ended the car in front.  

Buzz off.
If you want your car fixed, go through insurance.

If you don’t want your car fixed, don’t scam the guy out of a bunch of money even if he fled the scene.

This thread should have been over after four or five posts.  But you aren’t making any sense and this reply confirms exactly what I wrote.

If you want your car fixed, go through insurance.

If you don’t want your car fixed, don’t scam the guy out of a bunch of money even if he fled the scene.

This thread should have been over after four or five posts.  But you aren’t making any sense and this reply confirms exactly what I wrote.
You bet bro.

Report it to the police and your insurance company.  The police report will pretty much guarantee he or his insurance pays.

His driving history will now show a hit and run, but he wants to settle this outside of the insurance company. :lmao:  

:fishing:

Just got off the phone with insurance. The whole issue is I don't have collision coverage, only liability. There's really nothing my insurance company can do for me other than try to track the guy down and get his info. The agent is telling me most other agents wouldn't have gone this far. When she spoke to him this morning she asked for his insurance information and he refused, instead asking to work some thing out. She is going to call him now and try again. If she does get his insurance information all she can do if file a claim on my behalf and then I'm on my own. I would have to deal directly with his insurance company and/or him. They would inspect my car and pay me the damage, or they could even fight the claim.

I don't know. He hit me at a very low speed. Would be tough think someone would be injured. Plus there was a witness who saw I was not and couldn't have been injured. Not looking go down that road. That said if the guy wants to pay above and beyond to avoid insurance I'd be open to that. I agree though, feel like a check or even a paypal would leave me exposed if the guy stopped payment in a few weeks. Can't imagine he would though seeing I gave the police his plates and had a witness.
Don't get greedy. The insurance company will probably cut you a check regardless, so why continue interacting with the criminal d-bag? You said it was minor damage on an older car, so how much additional cash are you expecting anyway?

Rather than trying to squeeze a few bucks out of the guy, I'd want him to be charged with hit and run. Will the cops do this regardless?

I would insist on insurance handling it ONLY because he said he didn't want to handle it through insurance.  Also, I'd follow up with the police and press any charges I could.
Exactly. This guy needs to know there are consequences for his actions, and can't buy his way out of trouble.

OK, big update. Just got off the phone with insurance and they got his insurance information and filed a claim on my behalf. Now I have to deal with his claims adjuster. Guy begged her to call me and try to work something out but once she got his info she filed a claim. Told him the reason he "left so quick" was because his dog had died. She said he sounded shady.

I'd go through insurance due to the hit and run nature.

I had a neighbor hit my mirror on my car about a year ago that wanted to handle on the side, and we agreed (neighbor so tried being amicable, and appreciated them not just doing a hit and run). Got our money, but they ended up asking questions on the estimate, etc. that made me wish I started with insurance from the start.
I had a similar experience when someone sideswiped my car. Amazing how people don't value your time when trying to settle things outside insurance. In my case, I got fed up with questions regarding the estimates and just filed with insurance. She ended up paying more, as my insurance adjuster determined a much higher number than I had obtained, possibly because they included a replacement rental while my car was being repaired.

Just got off the phone with insurance. The whole issue is I don't have collision coverage, only liability. There's really nothing my insurance company can do for me other than try to track the guy down and get his info. The agent is telling me most other agents wouldn't have gone this far. When she spoke to him this morning she asked for his insurance information and he refused, instead asking to work some thing out. She is going to call him now and try again. If she does get his insurance information all she can do if file a claim on my behalf and then I'm on my own. I would have to deal directly with his insurance company and/or him. They would inspect my car and pay me the damage, or they could even fight the claim.
I just had liability, was hit by someone who was 100% at fault, and THEIR insurance paid for the repairs. I think that is SOP.

I just had liability, was hit by someone who was 100% at fault, and THEIR insurance paid for the repairs. I think that is SOP.
I didn't have his insurance info until 15 minutes ago. I thought my insurance had it this morning when they called but all they had was his name and number. My insurance lady called him back this afternoon, bluffed him and got him to give it up.

After you filed a report with the police, what did they do? If he fled the scene of an accident, that's a misdemeanor, right? The police should be doing more, I would think. 

As for your insurance, this is what you are paying them for. Your agent isn't doing something special for you or going above and beyond. I'd consider changing companies after this gets resolved.

After you filed a report with the police, what did they do? If he fled the scene of an accident, that's a misdemeanor, right? The police should be doing more, I would think. 

As for your insurance, this is what you are paying them for. Your agent isn't doing something special for you or going above and beyond. I'd consider changing companies after this gets resolved.
The police did nothing. I went to the station, guy entered the info into the computer and that was it.

My agent did go above and beyond because I don't have collision. I'm only paying them for liability insurance.

The police did nothing. I went to the station, guy entered the info into the computer and that was it.

My agent did go above and beyond because I don't have collision. I'm only paying them for liability insurance.
When I was in high school I saw some girl trying to back out of a spot.  She was horrible so I stopped and paid attention.  She dented the back of my friends truck.  I wrote down her plate number and gave it to my friend.

The police did nothing.  They said the car was registered a couple cities over so the plate number must have been wrong, since it was a student at the school and all.

So stupid. 

Around here, police will not come out to the scene of an accident unless there is serious bodily injury or traffic is obstructed.

Weird that you would even question whether or not to go through insurance.  
First call was to my insurance company. Gave them the plate number. Went to police station. Filed collision report. Insurance called me back today saying guy wanted take care of it without getting his insurance company involved. I do not have collision insurance and they did not have his insurance information at that point.

Around here, police will not come out to the scene of an accident unless there is serious bodily injury or traffic is obstructed.
Tried to file report over the phone but they said I had to go in (or they would come to me) because I had his plate number.

He told my insurance he thought I took off so he left. We were blocking traffic so I did move my car and parked it about 4 spots away from the collision. I searched for my insurance info in glove box. Came out with it and saw the back of his car for a split second as he drove up the exit ramp. Would say time from accident to him bolting was less than 30 seconds.

I didn't have his insurance info until 15 minutes ago. I thought my insurance had it this morning when they called but all they had was his name and number. My insurance lady called him back this afternoon, bluffed him and got him to give it up.
Bluffed him? What does that mean?

And you not having collision insurance is immaterial. The other guy just needs liability, as he was at fault. Or you need uninsured motorist coverage in the event he is uninsured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluffed him? What does that mean?

And you not having collision insurance is immaterial. The other guy just needs liability, as he was at fault. Or you need uninsured motorist coverage in the event he is uninsured.
She basically told him she could find out his info anyway and he just told her. Without knowing his insurance information there was no way for me to file a claim.

Go through insurance. This is not a guy you ever want to see or talk to again. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread