What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2020 Democrat Primary/Caucus Thread*** Biden Is Your Demoractic Nominee (3 Viewers)

I haven't seen a SOTU in years, and besides, the Lightning have a game tonight, which is far more important than the pack of lies Trump will surely put forth.
I'm going to see D.L. Roth and Kiss. Worth the price of admission just to be away from a television tonight. 

This is unbelievable. They know all the results because every precint kept paper hard copies for record (just like in the old days when they had precint captains call results in by phone to the county/state). So bizarre and is made for order for every conspiracy.  
Hey...There is only 2 more hours of daylight left and those horses in the Pony Express are doing the best they can

This means Trump's calculations were successful. He muddied the waters enough and made people associate 'Biden' with 'investigation' so much that it hurt the efforts of the person he considered his biggest threat.  He was impeached for it, but he still gets to stay in office and run again in 2020. Win for Donald. 
I was actually coming into say this debacle can't be blamed on Trump this time. How naive of me to think 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a lot of risk right now as the checks and balances are clearly broken in the Senate.
The Senate balances the House. The check on the Senate are the voters. The Senate checks the President.

No checks and balances were broken. An awful result in bad faith? Yes. But the structure and function remained intact.

Was modified to say they are releasing 50% of the results at 5 ET and the rest will dribble out during the night. My guess is the initial release will show better results for Biden than the final talley.  
Biden did claim to have had a good night. 

‘We had a good night last night in Iowa,’ said the Democratic presidential hopeful @JoeBiden despite the delay in results from the #IowaCaucuses due to technical problems

Reuters (@Reuters) · Twitter

JFC :lmao:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/04/my-chaotic-infuriating-night-running-an-iowa-caucus/#click=https://t.co/FgypOuhR2Q

After 9 p.m., disorder really descended. The app for reporting results wasn’t working. When I’d downloaded it on Jan. 31, the installation instructions had been convoluted: You had to fill out a survey, which then got you a link, and then you had to download a different app, and enter in a code from your email, and then you would get the real app. This was meant to keep everything secure. But we have caucus chairs who need their grandkids to program their DVRs, and the training for the caucus chairs hadn’t included any guidance. The party didn’t really roll out the app so much as drop it on the doorstep. On Monday, I fielded calls all day from chairs trying to download the app and getting blocked. When I tried to sign in myself, I was told that my PIN wasn’t valid. In our county, only two of the 22 caucus leaders were able to use the app successfully.

Been busy most of the day and just catching up. So if I understand correctly, in about 90 minutes they will reveal about half of the results? And we don’t know which half? And we don’t know when the rest of the results will be revealed? 

I am 100% confident that any of the tech guys in this forum could have taken over this situation when it fell apart last night and delivered to us all of the results long since. This is just pathetic. 

New: Biden campaign stopped using the app responsible for the confusion surrounding Iowa's results due to concerns about product's security, reliability. "Our IT team expressed security concerns about it, and it ultimately did not pass our cybersecurity checklist..”
tweet

"The Biden IT team" sounds like a good pickleball team name for a retirement community. 

I think I saw that the Iowa Democratic Party paid something like $65K for the app that failed?  That seems shockingly low to me, given the importance of what it's being used for, and the time sensitivity of it needing to work, at large scale, on one specific night shortly after launch.  Getting the impressions that "Shadow, Inc." may not have had any experience with large scale software rollouts and may have been grossly unqualified for this project.

In a waiting room, MSNBC is on, and as they went to the break:

Iowa Delegates, 0% Precincts:

Biden - 0

Warren - 0

Sanders - 0

Buttigieg - 0

Queue the outrage on why Joe is listed first & Mayor Pete last...

I'm never in this forum, and I'm not following the primaries, but, I just don't get this so I gotta ask... it's a caucus, so there aren't even any votes to even count, right? From what I remember, a bunch of people get together in like a gym or something, and each candidate is assigned a corner and if you like a candidate you go stand in his corner, and then the other corners all yell at you and beg you to switch. Like a schoolyard game, until the timer goes off, then they count who's where. But there aren't secret ballots, everyone is openly standing out there to be counted for their guy. And they can't even do that right? No one can go around with a clipboard and count heads? I don't get why this is hard. I don't get why there's this much incompetence.
Are you not familiar with the DNC?

I'm never in this forum, and I'm not following the primaries, but, I just don't get this so I gotta ask... it's a caucus, so there aren't even any votes to even count, right? From what I remember, a bunch of people get together in like a gym or something, and each candidate is assigned a corner and if you like a candidate you go stand in his corner, and then the other corners all yell at you and beg you to switch. Like a schoolyard game, until the timer goes off, then they count who's where. But there aren't secret ballots, everyone is openly standing out there to be counted for their guy. And they can't even do that right? No one can go around with a clipboard and count heads? I don't get why this is hard. I don't get why there's this much incompetence.
There are worksheets that include counts of each candidate's group that the volunteer precinct captains filled out as things were happening last night. The work last night/today is to look over those paper sheets and compare them against the numbers reported via the app or via the phone. 

Whoever doesn’t come in first is going to feel like they were cheated.  Bring out the Bernie Bro’s!   What a mess. 

I think I saw that the Iowa Democratic Party paid something like $65K for the app that failed?  That seems shockingly low to me, given the importance of what it's being used for, and the time sensitivity of it needing to work, at large scale, on one specific night shortly after launch.  Getting the impressions that "Shadow, Inc." may not have had any experience with large scale software rollouts and may have been grossly unqualified for this project.
That’s low, but if the plan was to only use it once they probably did not want to invest much.  

In a waiting room, MSNBC is on, and as they went to the break:

Iowa Delegates, 0% Precincts:

Biden - 0

Warren - 0

Sanders - 0

Buttigieg - 0

Queue the outrage on why Joe is listed first & Mayor Pete last...
Oldest to youngest?  Height? Gemini sign?

Keeps getting better and better for Shadow inc.: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/4/21122737/iowa-democractic-caucus-voting-app-android-testfairy-screenshots-app-store

It looks like they tried to use a testing platform to distribute the app publicly, a strange choice, and they only used the free version of said platform. Meaning the app was relatively insecure and the total number of users was capped at 200. :lmao:  

Testing platforms are common for mobile apps, and are one of many ways in which independent app developers and large software makers can deploy test software without going through the sometimes rigorous App Store and Play Store review processes. This is primarily to let developers squash bugs and ensure the app can run on a variety of different devices, some of which may be using outdated operating systems and powered by older, less powerful components that may render the app sluggish or just plain inoperable.

In this case, however, it looks like Shadow used a test platform for the app’s public distribution, at least for Android users. (TestFairy provides an iOS installer platform, but it is not clear if Shadow used TestFairy for the iOS version of the Iowa Recorder App.)

Installing software through a test platform or sideloading onto your device manually both come with security risks, as app store review processes are designed to discover whether a piece of software is hiding malware or does something behind the scenes it’s not supposed to. In the event you do sideload an app or try installing an unofficial version, your smartphone typically warns you of the risks and asks if you want to proceed. It’s also a less stable model for deploying software at scale, which might explain the difficulty precinct chiefs had in downloading the program.

The screenshot from Motherboard also shows that the app was distributed using the platform’s free tier and not its enterprise one. That means Shadow didn’t even pony up for the TestFairy plan that comes with single sign-on authentication, unlimited data retention, and end-to-end encryption. Instead, it looks like the company used the version of TestFairy anyone can try for free, which deletes any app data after 30 days and limits the number of test users that can access the app to 200.

Been busy most of the day and just catching up. So if I understand correctly, in about 90 minutes they will reveal about half of the results? And we don’t know which half? And we don’t know when the rest of the results will be revealed? 

I am 100% confident that any of the tech guys in this forum could have taken over this situation when it fell apart last night and delivered to us all of the results long since. This is just pathetic. 
Iowa Dem Party announcement/presser in just a few  minutes at 4:45 ET.

Keeps getting better and better for Shadow inc.: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/4/21122737/iowa-democractic-caucus-voting-app-android-testfairy-screenshots-app-store

It looks like they tried to use a testing platform to distribute the app publicly, a strange choice, and they only used the free version of said platform. Meaning the app was relatively insecure and the total number of users was capped at 200. :lmao:  
Gross incompetence, approved and hired by Tom Perez.

Users who are viewing this thread