What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If my choices are between Trump doing literally nothing and Trump telling his supporters it's no big deal, telling his supporters masks don't help, and firing all the competent people, I'll go with nothing.
Sadly this is probably right...
First rule in trying to put out the a fire is to stop throwing gas on it.  His silence has been the most responsible thing he's done in his dealing with the pandemic.

That’s nice.  Will not do anything to reduce the spread.  It’s not just Trump voters that don’t wear masks or wear them correctly.   People don’t listen or won’t listen.  You can wear your mask properly but cloth masks are not protecting you.   It takes everyone wearing the mask properly and keeping their distance when possible.  
I'm hearing a 4-6 week national shutdown from Joe's people.  We can look forward to the economic devastation and riots this will cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing a 4-6 week national shutdown from Joe's people.  We can look forward to the economic devastation and riots this will cause.
You're hearing this from Joe's people?  Got a link?  Or are you hearing it from Fox News saying it's what Joe's people are saying?  Huge difference.  Fox News also said Joe would implement a nationwide policy to mandate masks 24x7 when you're outside your own house, which literally no one has ever advocated.

You're hearing this from Joe's people?  Got a link?  Or are you hearing it from Fox News saying it's what Joe's people are saying?  Huge difference.  Fox News also said Joe would implement a nationwide policy to mandate masks 24x7 when you're outside your own house, which literally no one has ever advocated.
Nor can anyone enforce.  this has been discussed to the point of absurdity.   Joe can't order a shutdown anymore than he cannot order masks to be used.   Just aint happening.

Nor can anyone enforce.  this has been discussed to the point of absurdity.   Joe can't order a shutdown anymore than he cannot order masks to be used.   Just aint happening.
I agree.  I don't think it's legal to implement a nationwide mask mandate.  It's especially irresponsible of Fox News to suggest that Biden would implement a nationwide requirement that all people wear masks all the time outside their own home.

I agree.  I don't think it's legal to implement a nationwide mask mandate.  It's especially irresponsible of Fox News to suggest that Biden would implement a nationwide requirement that all people wear masks all the time outside their own home.
It's not at all irresponsible of Fox since it has been discussed.  I believe Biden would absolutely do it if he was legally capable. Heck Biden has comeout and said he would like to mandate masks nationally--but acknowledged he can't.   So I can't  buy the "Fox news bad" on this one.

It's not at all irresponsible of Fox since it has been discussed.  I believe Biden would absolutely do it if he was legally capable. Heck Biden has comeout and said he would like to mandate masks nationally--but acknowledged he can't.   So I can't  buy the "Fox news bad" on this one.
Can you show me one link showing anyone in Biden's camp suggesting a "wear masks 24x7 outside one's own home" mandate?  Literally no one has proposed that, ever.

Is CNBC a valid source for you?

It's a good source, but what's in that link is a lot more nuanced than what you wrote at first.  He's specifically saying that such a policy would help to get the spread under control, which is absolutely true.  He's also specifically saying that such a policy would require the appropriate payments to individuals and businesses be part of it.

“We could pay for a package right now to cover all of the wages, lost wages for individual workers, for losses to small companies, to medium-sized companies or city, state, county governments. We could do all of that,” he said. “If we did that, then we could lock down for four to six weeks.

Can you show me one link showing anyone in Biden's camp suggesting a "wear masks 24x7 outside one's own home" mandate?  Literally no one has proposed that, ever.
I didn't say that.   I said Biden would propose a nationwide mask mandate if he was legally capable to do so.  This isn't new news to anyone.   You can translate that to whatever you want.   Did he specifically lay out 24 7?  I don't know and that's just splitting hairs.  I could see he never defined it to that level since he knows he can't enforce it anyway.

I mean if you trust the USA today and not the evil Fox News...You can read this. I take "in public' as 24/7 outside.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/26/coronavirus-joe-biden-says-he-would-require-face-masks-slams-trump/3262581001/ 

What he is saying isn't wrong. If the whole country completely shut down for 4-6 weeks and the government covered all lost wages, it would contain the virus and it would also keep the economy stable. It's kind of common sense - if everyone holed up for 6 weeks, no one would be catching or spreading the virus.

However it is not practical or legal and honestly I can't even imagine how it could be done. It would probably be similar to what we had here in PA in March/April which wasn't a total lockdown. You can't close EVERYTHING. People need food. People need to go to the hospital. And even for all the Home Depot jokes, there are home emergencies that require supplies to fix.  

And this is also one doctor on a panel of 12 that is advising the Biden campaign.

I don't find this funny, at all, so please show respect and don't respond that way. I came across this as an example of too many people that think this is a hoax or nothing to worry about.  :(

ETA

Deleting link. It was another one of the hundreds of examples of people on social media claiming Covid is nothing to worry about who then lost their life. 

And then there is this

1 in 5 COVID-19 patients were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders within 90 days, study finds

I didn't say that.   I said Biden would propose a nationwide mask mandate if he was legally capable to do so.  This isn't new news to anyone.   You can translate that to whatever you want.   Did he specifically lay out 24 7?  I don't know and that's just splitting hairs.  I could see he never defined it to that level since he knows he can't enforce it anyway.

I mean if you trust the USA today and not the evil Fox News...You can read this. I take "in public' as 24/7 outside.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/06/26/coronavirus-joe-biden-says-he-would-require-face-masks-slams-trump/3262581001/ 
"In public" is a hell of a lot different than what Fox News wrote several days ago.  They had quotes from people saying things like "I shouldn't have to wear a mask on my own front porch!"  It was wildly irresponsible journalism and absolutely intended to sow fear.

"In public" is a hell of a lot different than what Fox News wrote several days ago.  They had quotes from people saying things like "I shouldn't have to wear a mask on my own front porch!"  It was wildly irresponsible journalism and absolutely intended to sow fear.
You asked for proof that anyone from Biden's camp mandated masks 24/7, you were given proof of that happening, and then turned it into a "Fox news is terrible" posting.

I mean why didn't you just come right out with that instead of making this whole dance? 

Thank goodness. I was hoping that we could get a "new member" that joined a football message board on November 4th to get here and explain the government response to Covid.

What kept you so long? Were you happy with the government response before November 4th?

This didn't take long :lmao:  

Here's reality...Biden can't/won't have a federal mask mandate.  End of story.  State lack of action is going to drive a "shutdown" before anything else.  If you want to get pissy about "shutdowns" take it up with your governors.  I DO think a national plan and messaging would be beneficial giving states political cover from the loons who think mask mandates are an infringement on their rights but ultimately, it's on the states to act.  If the President can get everyone rowing in the same direction, we can make progress.  Same as it's always been.  

I don't find this funny, at all, so please show respect and don't respond that way. I came across this as an example of too many people that think this is a hoax or nothing to worry about.  :(

ETA

Deleting link. It was another one of the hundreds of examples of people on social media claiming Covid is nothing to worry about who then lost their life. 

And then there is this

1 in 5 COVID-19 patients were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders within 90 days, study finds
I literally put zero stock in this report.  to me, this is entirely worthless and nothing more than a scare tactic.

They list anxiety as one of the conditions.     I mean come on.  Don't we all suffer some sort of anxiety over this?  What a stupid report

This didn't take long :lmao:  

Here's reality...Biden can't/won't have a federal mask mandate.  End of story.  State lack of action is going to drive a "shutdown" before anything else.  If you want to get pissy about "shutdowns" take it up with your governors.  I DO think a national plan and messaging would be beneficial giving states political cover from the loons who think mask mandates are an infringement on their rights but ultimately, it's on the states to act.  If the President can get everyone rowing in the same direction, we can make progress.  Same as it's always been.  
I think this is very important point.  

A lot of what CAN be done comes down to the state level.  If Biden DOES implement a mask mandate--who enforces it?  You're only as good as the states are willing to work with you.  Are we going to tell local cops you need to give citations to everyone without a mask?  They're out patrolling and called to Target because we got a non-masker here on aisle 3.  C'mon.  

It has been and should be largely a state response.  Nebraska is different than New York.  And that's just reality.  

Trump did a bad job because he sent the wrong message.  He didn't listen to the scientists.  And in doing so often undermined the efforts of state government.  But most of this should have been managed by governors.  And by and large it has been.  A lot of people act like it's a Federal government issue.  If Trump did a good job this would have been better.  And maybe it would have...because a lot of the governors have done a pretty good job.  But it's much more of a State level issue than people discuss. 

I don't anticipate Biden is going to come in and shut down businesses in Nebrasksa.  But if Nebraska's situation is bad enough, the governor should be taking action to correct it.

I wish we had a national mask mandate.  Not going to happen as he Biden doesn't have authority but it makes no sense why anyone would oppose it.  I wear a mask whenever I am outside.  

A lot of what CAN be done comes down to the state level.  If Biden DOES implement a mask mandate--who enforces it?  You're only as good as the states are willing to work with you.  Are we going to tell local cops you need to give citations to everyone without a mask?  They're out patrolling and called to Target because we got a non-masker here on aisle 3.  C'mon.  

It has been and should be largely a state response.  Nebraska is different than New York.  And that's just reality.  

Trump did a bad job because he sent the wrong message.  He didn't listen to the scientists.  And in doing so often undermined the efforts of state government.  But most of this should have been managed by governors.  And by and large it has been.  A lot of people act like it's a Federal government issue.  If Trump did a good job this would have been better.  And maybe it would have...because a lot of the governors have done a pretty good job.  But it's much more of a State level issue than people discuss. 

I don't anticipate Biden is going to come in and shut down businesses in Nebrasksa.  But if Nebraska's situation is bad enough, the governor should be taking action to correct it.
You should know better than to think it could effectively be handled by states individually.  Because, the big problem is that we have free and open travel between all states.  So one state's decision on how to deal with Covid doesn't just affect that state.  So, in the instance of a pandemic like this, we need a coordinated NATIONAL plan and response.  Ultimately how it is enforced should be at the state level, but I think this is one of those few instances where federal oversight is needed for the good of the country. 

I don't presume to know how to go about that, but leaving it up to the states right now isn't working and I don't find that at all surprising. 

I wish we had a national mask mandate.  Not going to happen as he Biden doesn't have authority but it makes no sense why anyone would oppose it.  I wear a mask whenever I am outside.  
Biden plus Congress do have the authority in a roundabout way.  They can pass legislation making certain funding contingent on a mask mandate.  Obviously, McConnell would never go along with that, so such legislation would require D control of the Senate.  Regardless, no one has or will propose that masks be required 24x7 outside one's own home.

I don't think anyone is implying that a mask mandate is somehow enforceable. As I think I have said before in here in different words, it's a lot easier for folks to process than trying to figure out when crossing political boundaries what the policy is. I hope it would encourage folks to do the right thing, but at the very least clear up any confusion. 

The biggest thing Trump did, in my view, was provide an out for governors who didn't want to do the right thing. Its been an amazing thing to watch and its allowed the governors to punt responsibility to local municipalities. Holding the states responsible is key IMO. Everyone understands the states in the press. It also forces bordering states to talk to each other

Biden plus Congress do have the authority in a roundabout way.  They can pass legislation making certain funding contingent on a mask mandate.  Obviously, McConnell would never go along with that, so such legislation would require D control of the Senate.  Regardless, no one has or will propose that masks be required 24x7 outside one's own home.
Agree with you but Biden alone can't go and do it so people saying he is going to put a mandate out are wrong.  Think he is going to announce a recomendation that everyone wear masks but that is it.

Real problem is all these virus measures have become political issues which is really on Trump and his failure to lead us. 

The biggest thing Trump did, in my view, was provide an out for governors who didn't want to do the right thing. Its been an amazing thing to watch and its allowed the governors to punt responsibility to local municipalities. Holding the states responsible is key IMO. Everyone understands the states in the press. It also forces bordering states to talk to each other
Multiple states have stopped city orders for masks or shutdowns. 

Multiple states have stopped city orders for masks or shutdowns. 
Exactly.  Florida is a good example.  They've basically said, "yeah, you can have the ordinance but you can't punish people for not abiding by it"...it's cowardly and effectively punts the decision down to the individual business who has to choose between making a living and pissing off irrational anti-mask people..  There is a direct correlation (IMO) between the size of the irrational anti-mask group and the terrible messaging coming out of our leaders.  

So, as I said above, everyone understands the states.  Everyone understands "State X is ground zero right now...don't go anywhere near that area" as a message.  Public pressure is the only way this is going to get people to act correctly, though I'd suggest even public pressure isn't enough in some cases (Hi Florida).  Some areas simply don't give a ####.  

Exactly.  Florida is a good example.  They've basically said, "yeah, you can have the ordinance but you can't punish people for not abiding by it"...it's cowardly and effectively punts the decision down to the individual business who has to choose between making a living and pissing off irrational anti-mask people..  There is a direct correlation (IMO) between the size of the irrational anti-mask group and the terrible messaging coming out of our leaders.  

So, as I said above, everyone understands the states.  Everyone understands "State X is ground zero right now...don't go anywhere near that area" as a message.  Public pressure is the only way this is going to get people to act correctly, though I'd suggest even public pressure isn't enough in some cases (Hi Florida).  Some areas simply don't give a ####.  
DeSantis has essentially done everything but come out and say he's punting for herd immunity here. Nothing will change in the state as cases/deaths continue to compound.

Well I don't wear mine whenever I am outside.   However when I am in a situation where there are people around I do.  I don't, for instance, wear mine in my car when I am driving alone.  And if I leave a grocery store for example, I usually take it off while I am walking to my car.

I also don't wear one on my back or front porch.

Man, it sounds like public health during a pandemic is tough and requires coordinated activity at the national level.

Man, it sounds like public health during a pandemic is tough and requires coordinated activity at the national level.
I think the messaging is important at a national level.  I generally think the states should be smart enough figure it out from there.  All that should be needed is a list of agreed upon goals as a nation.  Leave it to the states to figure out how to accomplish it.  Report on progress at a national level based on the goals and let the people see for themselves who's doing what they're supposed to and who isn't.  At some point the Governors will run across the motivator that gets them to act correctly.  That will take time in states like mine though.  Our Governor still can't figure out why all these companies/parks/restaurants aren't fully opened back up since he gave the green light two months ago.  So, for some, it's going to take longer than for others.

Federal government should be funding and orchestrating test/trace/quarantine, along with various monetary relief packages. If you want to "open up" again without a vaccine, this is what you'll need to do (if you want to avoid greater spread).

Stay at home order in Chicago starting Monday

Mayor Lori Lightfoot

@chicagosmayor

A Stay-at-Home Advisory for Chicago will go into effect on Monday, November 16th at 6:00am. This advisory calls on all Chicagoans to do the following:

- Stay home unless for essential reasons

- Stop having guests over—including family members you do not live with

- Avoid non-essential travel

- Cancel traditional Thanksgiving plans

I'm expecting something like this here too.  Just got back from the DMV as my plates are about to expire.  I normally do it online but I learned from renewing my passport, which I submitted in February and received it in September, that I can't afford to take a chance of another shut down.

My goto resource, switched from a raw daily count of Covid19 deaths to a 7 day rolling average. Not sure I like it. The say it's a better indication of how things are going:

daily data does not necessarily refer to deaths on that day – but to the deaths reported on that day.

Since reporting can vary very significantly from day to day – irrespectively of any actual variation of deaths – it is helpful to view the seven-day rolling average of the daily figures. Below the chart you find the link to the rolling seven-day average view.
One thing I had noticed is that there are predictable dips in reports over the weekend. I suppose this different approach kind of smooths that out.

Anyway, the average moved from 1008 yesterday to 1153 today. The trend there looks pretty bad still.

Thank goodness. I was hoping that we could get a "new member" that joined a football message board on November 4th to get here and explain the government response to Covid.

What kept you so long? Were you happy with the government response before November 4th?
It all depends.  Some things have been horrid, some pretty good.  The travel ban was a great start and then the wheels fell off.  The CDC and WHO have disgraced themselves beyond redemption. The whole mask thing has been beaten to death in here.  Some states have handled things relatively well.  Others have crushed their populace's livelihoods and still top the charts in deaths and infections.

My comments on the societal impact just refers back to history repeating itself.  We had plenty of riots and economic devastation this summer.  I'm not eager to see that replay itself again.

It all depends.  Some things have been horrid, some pretty good.  The travel ban was a great start and then the wheels fell off.  The CDC and WHO have disgraced themselves beyond redemption. The whole mask thing has been beaten to death in here.  Some states have handled things relatively well.  Others have crushed their populace's livelihoods and still top the charts in deaths and infections.

My comments on the societal impact just refers back to history repeating itself.  We had plenty of riots and economic devastation this summer.  I'm not eager to see that replay itself again.
The riots weren't about Covid19 response. Though perhaps they should have been.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot

@chicagosmayor

A Stay-at-Home Advisory for Chicago will go into effect on Monday, November 16th at 6:00am. This advisory calls on all Chicagoans to do the following:

- Stay home unless for essential reasons

- Stop having guests over—including family members you do not live with

- Avoid non-essential travel

- Cancel traditional Thanksgiving plans
The bolded one is the biggy.  Will they be fining people that violate this order?

I may be alone in this, but IMO the lockdowns and stress associated with this pandemic greatly exacerbated the societal unrest we saw.  Tinder for the flame.
The stress is tremendous and the full story on its effects is still untold. The effect on kids, families, elderly, people who live alone - really all different situations have their own set of stress and difficulty caused by this terrible situation.  That said, I always cringe when people use the term "lockdown" - that's a loaded word that doesn't apply to what we've seen in the US.  Most people across the country have continued to live their lives pretty much normally, expect perhaps with fewer opportunities for large group gatherings, large entertainment events such as concerts and maybe somewhat less dining out, parties, etc.  In many places, even those large events have been business as usual.  We've not had a lockdown anywhere in this country yet, really nothing close to the real lockdowns they had in Italy, China and elsewhere, and almost certainly never will have one.

DeSantis has essentially done everything but come out and say he's punting for herd immunity here. Nothing will change in the state as cases/deaths continue to compound.
Another reason why I regret voting for him and will not be repeating that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread