What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Watching games in empty stadiums and arenas (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
I am watching a Champions League game in an empty stadium right now and it is very odd.

I also just read that the entire NCAA B-Ball tournament will be played to severely limited fans (staff and families).

This is going to be a weird few months watching sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to be weird to see the NCAA champ to celebrate and cut down the net to a rousing chorus of crickets. 

I imagine the Stanley Cup playoffs will be following suit. Imagine skating around with the Cup to the sound of Carl the janitor whooping it up.

I hope the FCC lightens up a bit and we get full audio of these games.  It will be weird for sure but also a fascinating way to see how the players, coaches,refs etc communicate with each other
That was my thought - they should mic the floor.  I watched a televised soccer game from an empty stadium a couple years ago (stadium ban was a UEFA sanction I believe) and it was kind of cool in a way - hearing the players yell to each other constantly was something new and interesting.

That was my thought - they should mic the floor.  I watched a televised soccer game from an empty stadium a couple years ago (stadium ban was a UEFA sanction I believe) and it was kind of cool in a way - hearing the players yell to each other constantly was something new and interesting.
I think I watched the same one, hell it might have even been a barca game, and I remember it being a lot of whistles and hey's.

So dumb 
While its wierd...I do think for now this is a good way to handle some events.

We're in uncharted territory and while soccer has played in empty stadiums many times for other reasons, this does give us something to do. Sports has always been a distraction for people. If were asking people to be quarantined and stay home etc...being able to watch something at home helps.

Maybe in 2 days or 2 weeks they say it's too risky to play at all but I think everyone is making decisions as best they can 

I’ll already resigned to having some of my season tickets being worthless - I’m just hoping they give me a discount on next year.

This virus has been an awakening of sorts.  Showing how irrelevant sports really are in our day to day lives and health concerns.

While its wierd...I do think for now this is a good way to handle some events.

We're in uncharted territory and while soccer has played in empty stadiums many times for other reasons, this does give us something to do. Sports has always been a distraction for people. If were asking people to be quarantined and stay home etc...being able to watch something at home helps.

Maybe in 2 days or 2 weeks they say it's too risky to play at all but I think everyone is making decisions as best they can 
I get what they're doing. I just think it's a massive overreaction.  

I get what they're doing. I just think it's a massive overreaction.  
Been feeling that way too but starting to come around. Lots of countries have been doing this already so not like it's just US doing this. Maybe it's best to not have millions of people traveling and hovering around one another for hours/days

The EPL crowds are way too tame these days.

If you want real atmosphere, there are significantly better choices.  The Bundesliga being one of them.
I've been traveling to portugoal to watch soccer games the last few years. The next steps should be england or spain but man...those bundesliga matches seem like a great atmosphere 

There have been many college football bowl games that I thought were played in front of about 500 people.  It does lose some of the excitement.

I disagree.  It's actually showing how integral sports are to our economy and day-to-day lives.
Yep

I'm gonna be real grouchy in 2 weeks when all I have to gamble on is New Zealand sailing?

if you have a lean, shoot me a PM

There have been many college football bowl games that I thought were played in front of about 500 people.  It does lose some of the excitement.
Yes, I too have witnessed this having entered college bowl pools and watching the games on TV.

I think it will be semi awesome. We'll be able to hear everything. Coaching going rip####s and whatnot. Will be cool for the players too to be able to hear Kevin Harlan call their every move as it happens.

NYSAHA (New York State Amateur Hockey Association) Youth State Tournament (Tier I, II, and III 14U/16U/18U) in Amherst NY this weekend will be played with no spectators in the building(s).  

My son's team is playing and the families can only watch online, but we still have to pay for hotel, food, etc.  We are all disappointed, but I know the boys would be more disappointed if they canclled it outright and they didn't get a chance to compete. 

My daughter's team plays at States the following weekend, so I'm sure it will have the same restriction.  

Going to be weird for the kids to play with no one watching, but I'm sure ot will be like heaven for the referees with no insane parents screaming at them during the games. 

Also strange in that I'm sure all the people they are trying to keep away from each other will all be packed into local restaurants and hotels together so not sure there's going to be an effective benefit here, but it is what it is. 

The people that are upset about watching games without fans being there are just the worst.  

Boo hoo sorry your sporting event isnt as exciting.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa😥

30 people dead in a country of over 300 million and they're canceling college and major sporting events. Dumbest thing I've ever seen 

Users who are viewing this thread