What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

I am struggling with this age 25 stuff.  I went through 3 major changes from age 20 to 25 - with the middle years dominated by punk.  Dayton, OH had a pretty decent punk scene in the late 70s and early 80s (Toxic Reasons and Dementia Precox were big) and we ran pretty hard with it.  Moved from pot and hallucinogens to speed and liquor ...though we kept the hallucinogens.  Back in my old hometown, my new "old" friends were very big into punk and harder edge new wave.  I changed directions.  

The Sex Pistols "Never Mind the Bullocks" album would be the album for me for that period.  Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" or would be second.  The US wasn't in nearly as bad in shape as the UK but things didn't look good for younger people.  I was in college and the job market sucked.  When I graduated in '81 it looked like I wasn't going to get any kind of job with a future - NO FUTURE ...NO FUTURE FOR YOU!!!  WHADAYA GONNA DO??  I even tested to get into the Air Force as a navigator (eyes were'nt good enough to be a pilot), I was just two weeks from getting on a bus to head to Texas for flight school when I got a job at a small telephone company.  

Was a big Stranglers fan as well.  

But while at 20 I was hitting discos and listening to Yes, et al, and my 21 - 24 age days were a lot more hitting punk bars and chasing girls in punk bars.  But by 25, I had almost a couple of years working 6 days a week at the phone company, doing PR work, public speaking and running the small business office and gift/phone store - and had moved from that company to a much larger company in Hudson, OH, about 3 hours away.  

I was no longer an angry, frustrated college student with no future ...I was a part of the system.  And just another white collar grunt, struggling to get ahead.  I liked my job, I liked the people I worked with and I liked what I saw as a place to make a career.  I was happy.  I was busy paying bills, working, playing sports, and trying to get ahead.  I went back to my record selection pre-punk and the MTV stuff.  And of course, keeping up with Todd's solo and Utopia work.  🙂

I would imagine plenty of others here are struggling with these important blocks of music that are getting left behind because we change so much within 5 year spans in your younger days.   

Still trying to decide.  
Mighty fine spotlighting.

Well you didn't wake up this morning 'cause you didn't go to bed
You were watching the whites of your eyes turn red
The calendar on your wall was ticking the days off
You've been reading some old letters
You smile and think how much you've changed
All the money in the world couldn't buy back those days

Well you didn't wake up this morning 'cause you didn't go to bed
You were watching the whites of your eyes turn red
The calendar on your wall was ticking the days off
You've been reading some old letters
You smile and think how much you've changed
All the money in the world couldn't buy back those days
Italics 

𝔚𝔢𝔩𝔩 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔡𝔦𝔡𝔫'𝔱 𝔴𝔞𝔨𝔢 𝔲𝔭 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔰 𝔪𝔬𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 '𝔠𝔞𝔲𝔰𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔡𝔦𝔡𝔫'𝔱 𝔤𝔬 𝔱𝔬 𝔟𝔢𝔡
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔴𝔞𝔱𝔠𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔴𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢𝔰 𝔬𝔣 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔫 𝔯𝔢𝔡
𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔞𝔩𝔢𝔫𝔡𝔞𝔯 𝔬𝔫 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔴𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔴𝔞𝔰 𝔱𝔦𝔠𝔨𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔡𝔞𝔶𝔰 𝔬𝔣𝔣
𝔜𝔬𝔲'𝔳𝔢 𝔟𝔢𝔢𝔫 𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔰𝔬𝔪𝔢 𝔬𝔩𝔡 𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔱𝔢𝔯𝔰
𝔜𝔬𝔲 𝔰𝔪𝔦𝔩𝔢 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔫𝔨 𝔥𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲'𝔳𝔢 𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔡
𝔄𝔩𝔩 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔢𝔶 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡 𝔠𝔬𝔲𝔩𝔡𝔫'𝔱 𝔟𝔲𝔶 𝔟𝔞𝔠𝔨 𝔱𝔥𝔬𝔰𝔢 𝔡𝔞𝔶𝔰

𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖐𝖙𝖚𝖗

Last edited by a moderator:
In 1987, I wasn't buying many current albums - mainly because I wasn't listening to much current radio, but also because I was spending a #### load of money converting my album collection to CDs. The radio stations I was listening to were either classic rock or oldies. I didn't have cable, so the video channels weren't a thing for me. I mean, some stuff got through my barriers just through sheer ubiquity - Bad, Welcome To The Jungle, Joshua Tree, etc..... - but I wasn't actively seeking out anything new.

Sometime that year, I was in a dive bar near Baltimore with friends shooting pool. They had the TVs turned to a channel playing country music videos. And I hear this voice. I look at the TV and it's one of the weirdest-looking dudes I've ever seen - tall, gaunt to the point he looked like he was starving, and hair sticking up about a foot above the top of his head. I started laughing because I thought it was some kind of parody. But that voice....... He was the most soulful new singer I had heard in years.

They said his name was Lyle Lovett and the name of the song was "She's No Lady". I immediately bought the CD and loved it. For years, I bought each new album he released sound-unheard. They're all great. 

Age 25 Album: Pontiac - Lyle Lovett

25 yrs. old album 

Broken (EP) - Nine Inch Nails

WISH

life went waaayyyyyyyy the #### off the rails - Terri threw me out into the street after i instigated a drunken brawl with her entire family - got nicked for drunk and disorderly and assault. while i was sitting the weekend in lockup, she got a moving company toot sweet, and hauled all my #### to storage. ripped up our lease, returned the keys to the realtor. she moved back in with her sister.  i was history.

a court ordered rehab stint in Pennsyltucky was the final outcome, after her family showed a bit of mercy by dropping their charges against me. 

was getting piss tested on the reg, and had to bit the sober bullet, much to my chagrin. 

mom basically disowned me, refused to a) bail me out b) gimme shelter after the fact c) allow any contact with her at all. 

FAMILY, EH?

i found a way.  did what i had to do ... called on some favors owed me - i wasn't gonna stay down for long, i assure you. 

the 90s sucked musically, imo - what a wasted ####in' decade - plenty of that stems from the fact that i was completely rudderless for years, and just didn't give a ####. 

but this Trent Reznor cat was angry.

i had zero interest in some quasi industrial goth #### (i had my fill with Suicide and really didn't think anyone could've carried it further than their '77 groundbreaking foray).

boy, was i wrong ... "Wish" was the wall punching, glass breaking, coke snortin', face ripping elixir i desperately needed, 'cuz i had to sit for months like a good lil' boy - and couldn't do any of that "FUN!!" #### myself.

Trent was angry and vicious enough for us both, if not everyone under the sun. i vicariously kicked a hole through the entire planet thanks to him and that disc - i'd call it catharric ... or therapeutic - but it was really just restrained insanity.  i'd have my day soon enough. 

47. This is the songs we listened to at that age, not when the songs came out, right?  If not, then I've been very wrong on many occasions. 
I've been taking songs and albums that come out the year I turned 5, 10, 15, etc. to make it easier to choose.

Age 25 album:

When I left off, I was wallowing in the wreckage of my failed long-distance relationship. This is also where marching to the beat of my own drum was starting to more sharply define my life, as my friends were all getting married and/or moving on to post-college life, while I was still working part-time, and given the 'lifestyle' I was in, I was one of the older part-time employees and starting to feel like I was reaching some kind of dead-end.  I thought of the path my brother had taken--he was working on the maintenance crew at the University of Maryland golf course when he went in the Marines the day he turned 17 and when his 4-year hitch was over, he went right back to the maintenance crew, which made me wonder what was the point of him going into the Marines in the first place.  Having locked myself into my major in Spanish Language and Literature, my goal at that point was just slogging through the remaining courses, getting that degree; I wouldn't think about any career paths that degree could lead to, I was just locked in to getting it over with. The narrow focus did help me at least discipline myself a little more when it came to reaching the goal, but it also made me feel like I was going to end up in a similar dead-end that my brother faced.  I was feeling like I didn't fit in anywhere; I didn't have any friends still in school, my co-workers were also in different places in life than me, and my friends had moved on to other phases of their lives, leaving me feeling pretty isolated.  Fortunately, the Smithereens are a sort of comfort food for people in that kind of spot, and by my 25th year, their album titled 11 had been out for a couple of years, and I liked all 10 tracks.  The one song I latched onto more than the rest on that album is yet another that appears on my funeral wake list, Room Without a View.  I"m not sure if there's an actual cause for my social anxiety, but it's always been there as far back as I can remember and I don't think there are any better lyrics to describe it for me:

In a room without a view
Lots of time, nothing to do
I sit, watch the days go by
I don't need to wonder why

In a room without a view
In a room without a view, without you

This room is the perfect size
And it never tells me lies
Many pleasant memories
All repeating worthlessly

In a room without a view

here I find security, no problems here for me
This is where I want to be
And whether I like it or not, a room without a view is what
I've got

Here I find security, so please don't bother me
This is where I ought to be
And whether I like it or not
A room without a view is what I've got

In a room without a view
I sit, watch the years go by
I don't need to wonder why

In a room without a view

Age 25 album - 1991. At a time when grunge and alternative country were taking off, I listened to this '91 album the most. 

Achtung Baby - U2 - Song sample - The Fly
Love Love Love this album.  I was 22 when in came out and remember wearing the cd out in my dorm.  The cd case wasn't plastic so it it didn't fit "right" in my collection (it was double album style).  To this day Zoo Station may be my favorite U2 song.

I'm a bit behind, so here's my 20 year old album pick:

Bermuda Triangle  -  Bermuda Triangle.

The summer between my junior and senior years I spent in New York.  We went to Empiricon in NYC.  They played a concert for us.  I really couldn't afford it, but I bought the album anyway.  Still beautiful and still takes me there.  At the time, Roger Wendy, and Sam were the band.  Sam is a mystery.  Where she went off to, I have no idea.

Wind

Dream On

Nights In White Satin

Free Ride
weird. the timing & connections - early 70s, acoustic hippies, Boston, Woodstock (Bearsville Studios there was my home away from home), Village - are almost exactly mine and these people do not register in my memory whatsoever. weird - 

still gave your entry the love button, though, in memory of the concept of living in Manhattan but not being able to afford an album. not too many of us left........

20yo me was an explorer. I used to travel to Sydney every second weekend, 3 hours away by train. Most of the time to hit the record shops, see concerts and watch some indie movies. Occasionally to see the seedier sites lol. Most of the time by myself, but occasionally with company. 

Sydney had two major import record shops. Metropolis, which was mainly importing from the UK and Red Eye Records which imported from the USA. There were others, but these were the big ones. Ed at Metropolis would have stuff for me all the time. Id give him a list of artists id want the newest releases from and he would get em. One day when strolling into Red Eye i heard this amazing sound. The intro to Love and Rockets song It Could be Sunshine blasted into the opening riff and i thought what the #### is this? I stayed and listened to the whole album mesmerized. Bought a vinyl version on import straight away. Express was a dazzling album that i wouldnt stop playing. When i heard a new one was coming i got pretty revved up. Got it as soon as i could get my hands on a copy. Shared it with all liked minded people who to a person loved this band. Of course they didnt chart in Australia until So Alive in the next year or 2. 

At the time this album was fantastic.

I still play Express all the time as it holds up well. This one not so much. I gave it a spin in the last day or two and was heavily disappointed,  but at age 20 it was the best

20yo Album - Love and Rockets - Earth, Sun, Moon

Mirror People

No New Tale to Tell

The Light

Everybody wants to go to Heaven
Next to Husker Du & Bauhaus, these were my Mary's guys

In 1987, I wasn't buying many current albums - mainly because I wasn't listening to much current radio, but also because I was spending a #### load of money converting my album collection to CDs. The radio stations I was listening to were either classic rock or oldies. I didn't have cable, so the video channels weren't a thing for me. I mean, some stuff got through my barriers just through sheer ubiquity - Bad, Welcome To The Jungle, Joshua Tree, etc..... - but I wasn't actively seeking out anything new.

Sometime that year, I was in a dive bar near Baltimore with friends shooting pool. They had the TVs turned to a channel playing country music videos. And I hear this voice. I look at the TV and it's one of the weirdest-looking dudes I've ever seen - tall, gaunt to the point he looked like he was starving, and hair sticking up about a foot above the top of his head. I started laughing because I thought it was some kind of parody. But that voice....... He was the most soulful new singer I had heard in years.

They said his name was Lyle Lovett and the name of the song was "She's No Lady". I immediately bought the CD and loved it. For years, I bought each new album he released sound-unheard. They're all great. 

Age 25 Album: Pontiac - Lyle Lovett
i bought Pontiac specifically to learn "She's No Lady" for a wedding. It hasn't left my grab shelf since. music dont get better than the kind that makes you take life seriously and not take life so seriously at the same time.

I"m not sure if there's an actual cause for my social anxiety, but it's always been there as far back as I can remember
being a human being is a pretty good reason. having an inner monkey & computer fighting over your primacy as you make your way thru a world which can do entirely without you but is peopled by beings who seem to believe EVERYTHING is about them might do it

Age 25 album- Indigo Girls 

My wife and friends tell me that 25 is the year I became a lesbian. 

But that’s simply not accurate. I fell in love with Indigo Girls because they carried on the whole Joni Mitchell folky  tradition that I already loved: acoustic based melody driven pretty music with smart lyrics. From “Prince of Darkness” to “Land of Canaan” to “Love’s Recovery” to their big hit song “Closer to Fine” this album is full of folky goodness. One caveat though- I never particularly liked the Michael Stipe collaboration “Kid Fears” which a lot of people love. 

As good as this record is, Indigo Girls got better through their first 5 albums (this one is actually their 2nd; the first, Strange Fire, was an indie release with little fanfare.) After that the album quality tapers off a bit IMO though each one has 1-2 outstanding songs, and that continues to the present day. 

25yo Album Gratitude, Earth, Wind & Fire

So there i was - 25yo, retired from showbiz, more or less (once in, never entirely out, like the Mob), more $$ than God (i was a thousandaire!) a year in the commune had been plenty, paradisewise, time to begin a normal-type life.

I had brought my tape down to the biggest radio station in Albq and they pretty much offered me a gig str8away. Cool - how much (my agent was still negotiating w RKO General to go nationwide with my old Zero Hour radio show and that - scripted comedy - was 9K a show)? Midday slot, $190/wk, cash money (about a grand in today's $$s). Hmmmm. And my production budget? No production budget - you want voice actors for your skits, get college kids. I literally laughed. Bridge burnt.

Found a job working at county detox. $160/wk, cash money. Hey, you got this real-life thang down great, kid. A party pal talked me into moving into his house, a college roommate sitch, but with the master (w french doors out to a deck) nobody wanted to pay extra for. Made two lifetime friends in that place - Ramaswami Srinivasan, an Indian brahmin studying mathematics who would stand outside my room and chuckle as i watched Hogan's Heroes & Mary Tyler Moore at 5:00, shrugging me off for weeks when i'd invite him to sit; and the sweetest person i've ever known, Jenny, a round-eyed descendant of the poet Robbie Burns who was clearly thunderstruck by my presence. She made it clear from the start that she wanted to crawl under my covers, but i'd never been an actual roommate before and wanted to abide by the general rules, #1 of which was no romance tilting the balance. "But if you ever move out..." i joked. She moved out 4 days later. Hadda chase that.

Few weeks later, we set up the first housekeeping i ever had, in a pretty mud cottage on Albq's picturesque Silver Ave (a block away from where Jesse Pinkman lived w Jane, for you BB fans). I'd had the ghetto hovel i moved into after high school and the 13room sea captain's house in Salem after i made it, and the commune in Tesuque - never been in a 'just us' thang. There was nothing great about Jenny but her heart & her ways & the goodness i knew i didnt deserve. But i loved her. And we made our sunny way together for a while, and this wonderful EW&F live & studio record was the soundtrack to it. She left me to study in France, we wrote&wrote&wrote, then she called me during a trip w other students to Barca and the Cote d'Azur and said she'd found a cottage just like our old one where the Pyrenees met the sea and she could buy it for $5000 and it was the kind of place where i could write the great American novel. I said, "wouldnt it be the great Spanish novel then and hasnt that already been done?". Cant remember why i was glib & a little mean but it was the end of us (and an idyllic Euro retreatment w the daughter of a rich Dow exec). Oh, well -

I wandered, she wandered, kept in loose touch because of this Scottish tradition called Burns Night.  You were supposed to recite a Robert Burns poem or one of your own composition to the girl you loved on the poet's birthday. She had beamed over the two i had written to her the Burns nights we were an item, so i wrote her one every Burns Night that i knew her address, for love's sake. We both ended up back in Albq in the 90s. She was a chiropractor, and poker dealers cant function without regular adjustments, so i made an appointment with her. She was in a lifelong relationship by then, but her partner had no interest in artsyfartsy stuff, so i was her Albq culture (contradiction?) beard for the next 15 years. She saved my life several times during my health problems and is still the first person i ask for medical advice.  And i still email Jenny a love ode every Jan 25th - she has like 40 of my Burns night poems now, says her daughter loves em as much as she does and will publish them when we're gone. And that's my tale of Gratitude.

25.alb  Love - The Cult

In 1985 I lived in the infamous "Seven Rooms of Doom, an enormous flat (by local standards) on 22nd Street in the Mission District.  A Guatemalan extended family of twelve lived in the second floor apartment below us but our identically-sized unit was just me and my roommate David.  The future Mrs. Eephus was there a lot as were David's partners including Floppo's friend, the fabulous Cintra Wilson.  We had a dedicated music room in the front of the house so when we wanted to listen in back, we cranked it up and sound boomed through the entire place.  The neighbors downstairs probably didn't appreciate it but never said anything. 

David spent a month in London in the summer of 1985.  He brought back the single of "She Sells Sanctuary" and a giant Killing Joke poster.  We played that single to death so we were all primed for the album when it came out late in the year.  Love didn't disappoint; it had a huge sound that combined elements of 60s, 70s and 80s music.  It was the album of the year in our house.  The band toured the US and played the Fillmore in December.  I was sick so I gave Dave my ticket to accompany the future Mrs. Eephus.  When she got back after the show, she was all excited because she had chatted with some guy who said he was with The Cult's management.  When she told me, I said "cool" but I really meant "suuure" but lo and behold, a month or so later she received a box full of Cult swag.

David and I remained close for another 15 years or so but we drifted apart mainly due to his lifelong heroin addiction.  Other than a brief chance meeting on the street, the last time we spent time together was during the 2008 NBA Finals.  I hope he's doing well

25yo.album Cake - Fashion Nugget

Going back to the CDs I listened to most in '97, there are a few good choices but these two really resonate for me.. unique.. vital.. it was hard for me to choose, and I think these guys just toured together?  Cake gets the edge for "Frank Sinatra" and an all time 🐐 cover song

Ben Folds Five - Whatever And Ever Amen

another obvi choice - OK Computer.. IIRC my first copied CD (thanks computer)

Something.xx - 25 Year-Old Record - You've Come A Long Way, Baby - Fatboy Slim

I mentioned I thought I was cool, but did I mention I was also into Big Beat, House, and Early Dub at age twenty-five? Okay, I sorta was, frankly. At least I was into Norman Cook's Big Beat multi uber-platinum stylings of the underground London dance music. Fatboy Slim made it cool to like Big Beat, and songs like "Right Here, Right Now," "Praise You," "The Rockafeller Skank," and others were the soundtrack to an, um, ecstatic revival of dance music and commercial product in the late urban century. None -- I mean virtually none -- of my friends shared in the party, but there I was, all alone, ready to dance. And consume. They mock the body, love's not real, said he, and all us listeners begged to differ. "Praise You" might have counted as the song of the half-decade for me, its hook lifted from an old seventies soul song and then put through a warp speed wringer. I think Norman Cook made everybody want to be a deejay; immediately after turntables showed up all over campus ready to do the bidding of the beats. In a bit of a crossover to complete consumer culture I can remember rocking this as the University Of Connecticut and Khalid El-Amin  and Ricky Moore and Rip Hamilton won their first ever NCAA hoops title (a thing that actually meant something to me at the time) to this as its backbeat in my tiny apartment in Silver Spring, MD. You go, Huskies! 

Praise You

25.alb  Love - The Cult

In 1985 I lived in the infamous "Seven Rooms of Doom, an enormous flat (by local standards) on 22nd Street in the Mission District.  A Guatemalan extended family of twelve lived in the second floor apartment below us but our identically-sized unit was just me and my roommate David.  The future Mrs. Eephus was there a lot as were David's partners including Floppo's friend, the fabulous Cintra Wilson.  We had a dedicated music room in the front of the house so when we wanted to listen in back, we cranked it up and sound boomed through the entire place.  The neighbors downstairs probably didn't appreciate it but never said anything. 

David spent a month in London in the summer of 1985.  He brought back the single of "She Sells Sanctuary" and a giant Killing Joke poster.  We played that single to death so we were all primed for the album when it came out late in the year.  Love didn't disappoint; it had a huge sound that combined elements of 60s, 70s and 80s music.  It was the album of the year in our house.  The band toured the US and played the Fillmore in December.  I was sick so I gave Dave my ticket to accompany the future Mrs. Eephus.  When she got back after the show, she was all excited because she had chatted with some guy who said he was with The Cult's management.  When she told me, I said "cool" but I really meant "suuure" but lo and behold, a month or so later she received a box full of Cult swag.

David and I remained close for another 15 years or so but we drifted apart mainly due to his lifelong heroin addiction.  Other than a brief chance meeting on the street, the last time we spent time together was during the 2008 NBA Finals.  I hope he's doing well
Floppy used to say my stories about my Mary put him in mind of Cintra. Her coloration & razor cheekbones evoked my own comparison and a clip he'd sent of her book tour made me see what he was talking about.

I just realized one of the benefits of being a bit younger than most (all?) of the drafters here is I can't get sniped

Into the light of a bridge that burns
As I drive from the city with the money that I earned
Into the black of a starless sky
I'm staring into nothing, and I'm asking you why

Age 25 album Neon Bible by Arcade Fire 

One of the only albums I can really remember being sooooo fn excited for,  buying it as soon as it came out, listening and analyzing everything about it. It will always be compared with Funeral which is almost unfair but nothing else captures the Iraq War, Bubble Bursting Recession Years like Neon Bible. 

At 25 (1992) I was in med school in Seattle.  I was still listening to my college music previously drafted and was surrounded by the grunge scene, of course. Lots of great shows to see.  It was awesome.

My younger brother-in-law, who I'd met for the first time in Reno during my 20-year-old album story, had recently moved to Seattle too.  I had given him a mix tape of my favorite artists during that visit.  Apparently he enjoyed it and started to listen to some new artists too.

He gave me an album by a band that I'd never heard of.  He said I should listen to it. 

Sebadoh - III

He was right.  Lead me down some new paths to other bands that I still love.  Thanks Ethan.

Age 30 Song: "Constant Craving" - KD Lang

Another voice - like Lyle Lovett's - that blew me away first time I heard it. IIRC, Lang was marketed as Country in the beginning. That didn't last long. It also goes to show how narrow-minded the music business can be and how stupid genre labels are.

Whatever aisle in the record store you want to put her in, that woman can flat out sing. This record reminds me of Dusty Springfield, in all of the best ways. 

30 yrs. old song 

How 'Bout Us - Champaign

ran into my ex Francesca that fall ... we hadn't seen each other in over a decade, but i always thought of her fondly enough through those years - a sweet kid when we were "dating", and that classic Italian jettttttt black hair, with the biggest, most soulful brown eyes ever - i'd get into more descriptive terms, but, we don't do that any more 'round here, amirite? (let's just say Sir-Mix-a-Lot woulda loved her)  :wub:

we were our respective "firsts", kinda hard to shake that nuance of the tale, so, TMI be damned, there's your BACKstory ...

chance meeting at a Jersey diner - i had my own biz at this time (same as current), and was hustling clients up and down rt. 46 - stopped in for a quick nosh at the Tick-Tock, and knew the woman with her young daughter looked way too familiar. 

she noticed me, as well.  i could see it in her eyes - i had shades on, so she had no idea that i was spying her for a solid 15 or so minutes after i sat at a small booth. 

she was just about done when i first noticed her, and saw the check get dropped on her table, so she was hangin' back for a reason. 

i watched her leave, she jumped into a Subura wagon, was settling the kid into the car seat- i had to move. 

i got up and flung the door open, the ever present chimes rang out - she looked up, i said "Frannie", and she smiled. 

we chatted for a few minutes, told me she was living in Cedar Knolls, and was married to her brother's bf Johnny C - i never saw that one coming. 

she had 3 brothers, and by this time they had all passed on - two ODs, one suicide - she worshipped them back in the days we spent together ... i knew of their passing, but never knew how to contact her - she was mysteriously outta my reach. 

i was drifting from woman to woman at this time - dedicating most of my time to getting my biz in order and profitable ... i became the hustle man for sales and contacts, and it suited me well.  was doing pretty damn good, and parked myself into a sweet joint in Hoboken.  had enough to take care of mom and my younger brother when/if they needed - so life was back on track, and i had straightened out a great deal of the wrinkles i forced on myself.  no complaints. 

i did miss having a steady gf in my life, but i was certainly not hurting for company - i made the most of my chances, but still wanted someone i really clicked with ... i was never the greatest boyfriend, but i did have a few long(er) term unions previously - when i click with someone, i stick around for as long as my self destructive nature allows. 

we exchanged numbers before she drove off ... i said "hi" to her daughter (2 yrs old), and tried the gobbledy#### baby talk schtick, but the kid cried like i snatched her favorite binky.  ehhh, what can ya do?

she called me right prior to Thanksgiving, and asked if i'd be up for a lunch date ... "Sure!", and we agreed to meet in my (then) hometown. 

she spent most of that afternoon bawling her eyes out about her brothers, she was a deeply wounded person.  i could only imagine - i had plenty of loss in my own life, but her's was lightning fast - they all died within 10 days of each other (the youngest brother couldn't go on after the two oldest died so suddenly).

tough girl.  always was. 

i changed the subject to how great she was in track and basketball and cheerleading and tumbling, etc ... but it seemed to only make her sadder.   when talk of our time together came up it really cracked her.  i let her down so much back when we were younger.  i never knew how hard it hit her.  

the afternoon wore on, and she had to call home to check in ... her older sister was there watching the kid, Johnny was nowhere to be found - she asked to go to my place.  ok. 

she couldn't shake her grief long enough to do anything but sit there trembling ... she asked if i remembered "our song" (she always referred to this one because we broke up and got back and broke up and got back and broke up, etc. countless times). she had good taste, and she'd have me slow dance this one with her at least 100 times ... i loved all of it - the song, the smoothness of the arrangement, the connection it afforded us.  yes, please. and now, as we connected for the first time in years, it rang truest of all. 

"yeah, i remember"

she apologized for not having the stomach enough to be "romantic" with me, that she was too distracted about her marriage, her daughter, her past. 

the wine she had earlier was wearing off, and she felt fit enough for the drive home.  we shared what little passion she could muster, and she started with the farewells ... which went on for at least half an hour.  

i broke her heart to pieces, she said ... then the three deaths killed her inside.  she told me she was constantly numb, even during the birth of her daughter.

i was left on my stoop with the knowledge of knowing one of the sweetest and kindest and most beautiful girls i would ever know slipped through, forever. 

it was our song ... and she was living it daily, according to her.  i never knew, and sometimes i wish i never did.  

i hope she found her peace. no one deserves it more. 

ps - i am choosing songs/albums that resonated with me for the given time, not for what was "current" ... i stopped with "new" music in the early aughts.   

Age 25 album - Hollywood Town Hall - The Jayhawks

I mentioned during the 25 year old song write-up how Wilco thrust me into Alt-Country and how they became my favorite "new band". Well if they were 1A, the Jayhawks were 1B as they became an obsession of mine also.  While I can't say they were groundbreaking - their sound was fresh given the landscape of what else was going on in the music scene. The harmonies and jangly guitars owed a lot to the Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers but they also made it sound modern in their own way. I probably liked their second album Tomorrow the Green Grass better but this one put them on the map and is still in my rotation 25 years later.

Settled Down Like Rain

30 yrs. old song 

How 'Bout Us - Champaign

ran into my ex Francesca that fall ... we hadn't seen each other in over a decade, but i always thought of her fondly enough through those years - a sweet kid when we were "dating", and that classic Italian jettttttt black hair, with the biggest, most soulful brown eyes ever - i'd get into more descriptive terms, but, we don't do that any more 'round here, amirite? (let's just say Sir-Mix-a-Lot woulda loved her)  :wub:

we were our respective "firsts", kinda hard to shake that nuance of the tale, so, TMI be damned, there's your BACKstory ...

chance meeting at a Jersey diner - i had my own biz at this time (same as current), and was hustling clients up and down rt. 46 - stopped in for a quick nosh at the Tick-Tock, and knew the woman with her young daughter looked way too familiar. 

she noticed me, as well.  i could see it in her eyes - i had shades on, so she had no idea that i was spying her for a solid 15 or so minutes after i sat at a small booth. 

she was just about done when i first noticed her, and saw the check get dropped on her table, so she was hangin' back for a reason. 

i watched her leave, she jumped into a Subura wagon, was settling the kid into the car seat- i had to move. 

i got up and flung the door open, the ever present chimes rang out - she looked up, i said "Frannie", and she smiled. 

we chatted for a few minutes, told me she was living in Cedar Knolls, and was married to her brother's bf Johnny C - i never saw that one coming. 

she had 3 brothers, and by this time they had all passed on - two ODs, one suicide - she worshipped them back in the days we spent together ... i knew of their passing, but never knew how to contact her - she was mysteriously outta my reach. 

i was drifting from woman to woman at this time - dedicating most of my time to getting my biz in order and profitable ... i became the hustle man for sales and contacts, and it suited me well.  was doing pretty damn good, and parked myself into a sweet joint in Hoboken.  had enough to take care of mom and my younger brother when/if they needed - so life was back on track, and i had straightened out a great deal of the wrinkles i forced on myself.  no complaints. 

i did miss having a steady gf in my life, but i was certainly not hurting for company - i made the most of my chances, but still wanted someone i really clicked with ... i was never the greatest boyfriend, but i did have a few long(er) term unions previously - when i click with someone, i stick around for as long as my self destructive nature allows. 

we exchanged numbers before she drove off ... i said "hi" to her daughter (2 yrs old), and tried the gobbledy#### baby talk schtick, but the kid cried like i snatched her favorite binky.  ehhh, what can ya do?

she called me right prior to Thanksgiving, and asked if i'd be up for a lunch date ... "Sure!", and we agreed to meet in my (then) hometown. 

she spent most of that afternoon bawling her eyes out about her brothers, she was a deeply wounded person.  i could only imagine - i had plenty of loss in my own life, but her's was lightning fast - they all died within 10 days of each other (the youngest brother couldn't go on after the two oldest died so suddenly).

tough girl.  always was. 

i changed the subject to how great she was in track and basketball and cheerleading and tumbling, etc ... but it seemed to only make her sadder.   when talk of our time together came up it really cracked her.  i let her down so much back when we were younger.  i never knew how hard it hit her.  

the afternoon wore on, and she had to call home to check in ... her older sister was there watching the kid, Johnny was nowhere to be found - she asked to go to my place.  ok. 

she couldn't shake her grief long enough to do anything but sit there trembling ... she asked if i remembered "our song" (she always referred to this one because we broke up and got back and broke up and got back and broke up, etc. countless times). she had good taste, and she'd have me slow dance this one with her at least 100 times ... i loved all of it - the song, the smoothness of the arrangement, the connection it afforded us.  yes, please. and now, as we connected for the first time in years, it rang truest of all. 

"yeah, i remember"

she apologized for not having the stomach enough to be "romantic" with me, that she was too distracted about her marriage, her daughter, her past. 

the wine she had earlier was wearing off, and she felt fit enough for the drive home.  we shared what little passion she could muster, and she started with the farewells ... which went on for at least half an hour.  

i broke her heart to pieces, she said ... then the three deaths killed her inside.  she told me she was constantly numb, even during the birth of her daughter.

i was left on my stoop with the knowledge of knowing one of the sweetest and kindest and most beautiful girls i would ever know slipped through, forever. 

it was our song ... and she was living it daily, according to her.  i never knew, and sometimes i wish i never did.  

i hope she found her peace. no one deserves it more. 

ps - i am choosing songs/albums that resonated with me for the given time, not for what was "current" ... i stopped with "new" music in the early aughts.   
song  :heart: :heart: . story  :heart: :heart: 💔💔.

didn't know you were a creature of the 46 - entwined in its ways as I-80 makes sweet Totowa-mantic love to that thoroughfare. My peeps were denizens of Denville for 20 yrs - took the bus out every Thursday night i lived in Manhattan, me Da would drop me @ Hudson Tubes on the way to work in the morning.

30 y/o song:  Let Down - Radiohead (1997)

I very easily could take the album tomorrow but I have another that is even more meaningful for me.  Whenever I've participated in "favorite song" list projects over the past 30 years, this one is almost always #1.  I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it.  The opening moment stopped me in my tracks--still does. I don't think I even knew the lyrics for years until I made it a point to look them up, and I'm a "lyrics" guy.  Just a stunning song all around.

30 y/o song:  Let Down - Radiohead (1997)

I very easily could take the album tomorrow but I have another that is even more meaningful for me.  Whenever I've participated in "favorite song" list projects over the past 30 years, this one is almost always #1.  I remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it.  The opening moment stopped me in my tracks--still does. I don't think I even knew the lyrics for years until I made it a point to look them up, and I'm a "lyrics" guy.  Just a stunning song all around.
This is my favorite of theirs as well. It seems off to do this thing without including Radiohead, but the years just didn't fall right for me. From 97 to 00 they were always on.

This is my favorite of theirs as well. It seems off to do this thing without including Radiohead, but the years just didn't fall right for me. From 97 to 00 they were always on.
Yeah.  I have a couple of albums coming up that should definitely be on my list but the years didn't work out.  I'm trying keep them within 1 year.

30yo Song - White Lines, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five

Hadda be done. Had never been a loadie - serious acidhead @ 15 (none since), weed always put me in either of two heads - gameshow host or serial killer - which made me uncomfortable, downers knocked me out, pain pills made me nauseous, smack was TOO good (always mistrusted paradise, Caribean or pharmaceutical). Lived on a low greenie hum throughout my showbiz career which didnt need evening out. Plus, i was usually the designated designator. Never against getting thwacked, just never relied on it.

Then i discovered poker. My last year in Manhattan i had a lot of down time, was paying for SoHo flat & lifestyle betting the horses so, when a fallen-thru showbiz deal made me finally quit chasing the ring,  i knew there was a high-desert city like Albq from which i could play all the racetracks in the country, so out to Reno i headed. Found a per diem job at a psych hospital so i would have enough financial stability that i wouldnt gamble cravenly (plus it had nurses, our greatest natural resource) and scoped out the Big Board for fun & profit. Doing real nice, developing my own database in a time before computers, the money was easy & sweet.

But the racebook was next to a poker room and there was a game in the back that looked critical & glamorous and i couldnt keep from longing in that direction. I had hustled gin while caddying at a country club as a kid, but didnt know poker much nor holdem at all. The poker mgr was a horse player and i exchanged hot tips for lessons in the basics. Played the baby games but all i wanted was that Biggest Game in Town (regulars were Freddy Deeb, WSOP champ Brad Daugherty, Tuna Lund, Ray Zee) and was over there in a coupla weeks. A light instantly shone upon me like it does when one is conscious of being amidst a major intersection in their life - poker used my natural senses for math & psych and my preternatural desire to make my way non-traditionally. Kismet.

My premature entry into the top levels of the game caused me to be an unimaginative grinder for survival purposes early on. Took my lumps, my baby steps, but knew i needed to find a level of imagination upon which to rely in all situations. Struggled with it til i made a prop bet with one of the players, we became pals (the best male friend i made as an adult, as it turns out) as a result and he offered to bump me up. Returning to the table with a serious case of white mindflash, i made a series of plays which made perfect nonsense and a pile o chips. Instantly, counter-intuition made far more sense to me than my semi-brilliant impulses ever had and i was reborn. Praise Brunson. Praise cura - gimme some mo.

My new pal guided me thru the fastlane of keeping one's chemical edge without letting it tip the cart, i hooked  up w Scary Mary and her prodigious appetites around the same time and, vroomp, a decade of whiteline fever was under way. Fun, baby!

song  :heart: :heart: . story  :heart: :heart: 💔💔.

didn't know you were a creature of the 46 - entwined in its ways as I-80 makes sweet Totowa-mantic love to that thoroughfare. My peeps were denizens of Denville for 20 yrs - took the bus out every Thursday night i lived in Manhattan, me Da would drop me @ Hudson Tubes on the way to work in the morning.
TOTOWA Ice World, ripped my ankle to shreds on their mush! (errrr - i was drunk as all hell that afternoon, too, but ...)

my cuz Ann Marie lives up in Denville, off of rt. 10 - and one of my oldest clients is a stone's throw from her compound. 

the. tubes. 

the HUDSON tubes, at that. 

old school transit cred?  CHECK!

😁

ETA: thanks for sniping my "relapse" song 😒

TOTOWA Ice World, ripped my ankle to shreds on their mush! (errrr - i was drunk as all hell that afternnon, too, but ...)

my cuz Ann Marie lives up in Denville, off of rt. 10 - and one of my oldest clients is a stone's throw from her compound. 

the. tubes. 

the HUDSON tubes, at that. 

old school transit cred?  CHECK!

😁
peeps were just off 53, near Mt Tabor

25 Yr Old Album: Singles-45s & Under - Squeeze

I covered quite a bit about where I was at during this time in a previous post.  The anger and angst were gone and I was focused on starting my career and playing sports.  My music listening was less a part of my daily life than it was during college.  I wasn't buying a lot of new music since money was dedicated to rent, food, beer, car payments and greens fees.

Most of my music was watching MTV and listening to the albums I already had.  And I always had an/old new Todd/Utopia album or two that I would get hot on for a few months at a time and then rotate something different (19 by that point).  So it was Todd and everything else, and had been that way for over ten years by that point). 

One of the exceptions was Squeeze.  I fell in love with them when I heard "Tempted" and then started paying more attention to their other stuff.  Yeah, kinda cheating ...a compilation album, but wow, does this hold up.  I loved it then and I love it now.  It is one of our most regularly played CDs still today.  These guys are brilliant.  Check out youtube, though significantly older and weight challenged, Glenn is still in strong musical form.   

25 Yr Old Song: Church Of The Poison Mind - Culture Club

Let's go ahead and get the song out of the way.  Man, this was so tough ...this could have been any number of 20-30 songs easily.    

How can you not like this song?  Maybe just the fact George gives you homophobic creeps?  It was a different time, almost 40 years ago.  I had a lot of friends that just couldn't take the flamboyant swishing around - and I have to admit, I wasn't totally enthralled with it either.  Hell, I was just getting over David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust look.  But there was no denying the Motown-rock these guys were putting out.  If you don't like this, you don't like Stevie Wonder.  

Users who are viewing this thread