What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quarantine Cooking: Recipes & Techniques to Stretch Your Food Budget (2 Viewers)

Two tablespoons - I never tasted this on its own before and it wasn't all that easy to find at the Asian grocer, but when it mixed up with everything else?  Damn good!  Fish sauce on its own isn't heavenly either, but combined with everything else for the sauce, it is really good.  I could use this sauce on anything, honestly.

Will be more careful with rice noodles going forward.  Very easy to mess those up.  
Your palate has come a long way since eating all the poop

General purpose bean recipe (adjust generously to suit your tastes):

• 1 pound bag o' beans (red, black or pintos, and many other types I'm sure - again, this is just a GP recipe)
  • Bacon - 1 thick slice of Wright's bacon, typically.
  • Garlic, minced - 1 or 2 cloves (let sit for 15 minutes after mincing)
  • Onions, medium chop - about 200 g.  White or purple
  • Tomato - one or two small tomatoes, chopped (Campari cocktail tomatoes from Sam's Club are my choice here)
  • Crushed Dried Peppers - 2 serranos, 2 sweet chiles, as a for instance (more to say about this below)
  • 1 tsp Deep Undertones spice blend (see below)
  • 1 tsp salt
Rinse and soak beans.  6 hours is probably fine, but I typically soak them overnight.  After soaking, rinse again and return to water (cover with water, plus 2").  Bring to roiling boil and let go for about 15 minutes while stirring occasionally, then heat way down (about 4/10)

Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover and simmer for a couple of hours.  Cook until the bean texture is correct, and simmer with lid off if you want to reduce the liquid content.
I did something similar to this with pintos.  Used six slices of bacon instead of 1, 3 cloves garlic, 2 chipotle pods, and coriander.  Tomato and onion.  Threw everything in the crockpot for 8 hours on low.  Beans were still a bit firm so left it on warming mode for another 2.  Too spicy for the family.  Perfect when refried.

Had a few Italian sausage in the fridge.  Half a container of ricotta.  Browned the sausage with chopped onion/garlic.  Mixed with the ricotta.

Made a simple homemade pasta dough (flour, oil, 2 eggs, salt, tbls of water).  Whipped up a couple dozen ravioli in maybe a half hour....which in quarantine is no big deal for a time commitment.  Came out great and used up all leftover stuff.

Had a few Italian sausage in the fridge.  Half a container of ricotta.  Browned the sausage with chopped onion/garlic.  Mixed with the ricotta.

Made a simple homemade pasta dough (flour, oil, 2 eggs, salt, tbls of water).  Whipped up a couple dozen ravioli in maybe a half hour....which in quarantine is no big deal for a time commitment.  Came out great and used up all leftover stuff.
What is the full recipe for the pasta?

Your palate has come a long way since eating all the poop
I dunno.....last night, I thought I was making something the little kids would love.  Went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Three ingredient chicken:  

1.  Chicken, I used breasts and cut them up in strips/tender sized pieces.
2.  Marinated them in homemade honey mustard sauce (not a condiment I had ready, but I had all the underlying ingredients) for about an hour.  Longer would have been good, but I was pressed for time.
3.  Crushed up some pretzels in the Ninja.  Dredged the chicken through the pretzels and baked at 375 for 25 minutes.

I liked it.  Teenager liked it.  Little kids poked at it and didn't care for it at all.  When I crack 300 pounds, it'll be because I loathe food waste and eat the remnants of 3 little kids plates on top of what I'm eating.  Not good.  I can hear my office chair crying out in pain. 

What is the full recipe for the pasta?
2 cups of flour

2 eggs

Tablespoon of olive oil, water and a pinch of salt.  

I mix it in a bowl with a spatula initially til it starts to form, then dump it on the counter with bench flour, kneading and adding flour as needed so it doesn't stick.  At the end, I usually cover it with a little more olive oil in a ball in a bowl and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before working it again.  Really, really easy.  Any youtube clip will help.

I dunno.....last night, I thought I was making something the little kids would love.  Went over like a turd in a punch bowl.

Three ingredient chicken:  

1.  Chicken, I used breasts and cut them up in strips/tender sized pieces.
2.  Marinated them in homemade honey mustard sauce (not a condiment I had ready, but I had all the underlying ingredients) for about an hour.  Longer would have been good, but I was pressed for time.
3.  Crushed up some pretzels in the Ninja.  Dredged the chicken through the pretzels and baked at 375 for 25 minutes.

I liked it.  Teenager liked it.  Little kids poked at it and didn't care for it at all.  When I crack 300 pounds, it'll be because I loathe food waste and eat the remnants of 3 little kids plates on top of what I'm eating.  Not good.  I can hear my office chair crying out in pain. 
I have a weight loss plan for you 

When you make that again send all leftovers to

Bostonfred

Boston, ma 02115

(They'll know) 

Posted this in easter dinner thread but thought useful in here for folks that had ham on easter and have a ton of leftovers like me.  

Simple Ham bone soup:

Create a broth out of Ham bone with some water and a couple of bay leaves (basically cover the ham bone in cold water).  Bring to boil and then lower temp to simmer and cook for like 2 hours.  Then remove the bone and bay leaves then add in some diced carrots (two carrots), diced onion (1 onion), diced potato (2 potatoes), a can of kidney beans, some frozen corn (1 cup) and some diced ham (1 and 1/2 cups).  Then salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until potato and carrots are done.  Very easy and good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a recipe...but weeks ago I had to run into target (CVS there is where we pick up prescriptions for my wife and I)...I went into the grocery section and they had a freezer full of frozen turkey breasts...$1.29/lb.  With so many other places sold out of most meats...interesting to find they had that and at a good price.  So I picked up 2 of them.  When I was checking out an employee there mentioned they still have been getting plenty of those and people weren't buying them.  I may go back as we have made one and I have one thawing now to smoke later this week.  Makes for multiple meals...easy to freeze some of the leftovers and versatile for all sorts of different meals.

First one I just roasted, made some gravy.  Simple leftovers as I chopped up some of the meat to refrigerate in gravy then reheated to put on buns as a sandwich.  The smoked turkey I will use in sandwiches, stuff potatoes, quesadillas.

What I have found at stores is some of the larger cuts are often available.  While its a higher up front cost...they bigger cuts can go a long way for leftovers or different dishes.

Not really a recipe...but weeks ago I had to run into target (CVS there is where we pick up prescriptions for my wife and I)...I went into the grocery section and they had a freezer full of frozen turkey breasts...$1.29/lb.  With so many other places sold out of most meats...interesting to find they had that and at a good price.  So I picked up 2 of them.  When I was checking out an employee there mentioned they still have been getting plenty of those and people weren't buying them.  I may go back as we have made one and I have one thawing now to smoke later this week.  Makes for multiple meals...easy to freeze some of the leftovers and versatile for all sorts of different meals.

First one I just roasted, made some gravy.  Simple leftovers as I chopped up some of the meat to refrigerate in gravy then reheated to put on buns as a sandwich.  The smoked turkey I will use in sandwiches, stuff potatoes, quesadillas.

What I have found at stores is some of the larger cuts are often available.  While its a higher up front cost...they bigger cuts can go a long way for leftovers or different dishes.
Definitely, the case about larger cuts.  I recently bought a turkey breast with similar ideas and buying whole chickens are easy.  Also, found a nice brisket recently, which I will smoke.  On and off if  you can find skinless and boneless chicken breasts or other fully prepped stuff.  So much of this country has no idea how to cook anymore that they are ignoring whole cuts and actual full cuts are cheaper on a per pound basis.  

I feel like a 50's housewife lately w/ all the cooking I've been doing.  

Did a roast chicken yesterday.  Threw all the bones and parts in the crock pot overnight and just put several cups of good broth in the fridge to use for soup later this week.  

Also made an Irish Soda bread yesterday as I can't find yeast.  It was good but man it's heavy.  (google for recipes, mine was just 4 ingredients, flour, baking soda, salt, buttermilk).

Doing a lot of grilling here as well, just because the weather is starting to turn nice.

GM, I started buying bulk about 6 weeks ago

Flour, rice, beans, potatoes, frozen veggies, tortillas, noodles, meat, eggs, milk. Haven't ordered from any restaurant for all this time. 

Meals

Carne adovada

Thai curry

Spaghetti

Lasagna

Enchiladas

Fish tacos

Hamburgers

Pesto pasta

Mac n cheese

Ham and potatoes au gratin

Guac

Recipes

Carne adovada

8-10 dry red New Mexico chili (guadillo if you like mild), remove stems. Add to saucepan w/3-4 cups cold water bring to boil 2-3 mins. Let cool a bit. Cut 3-4 lbs of pork shoulder into stew cubes, dice 1/2 onion. Set aside.

Put chilis and water into food processor or blender, add 1T garlic, 1 T leaf oregano, 2 tsp salt, puree for 2 mins. Strain liquid into bowl, discard seeds/pulp. Brown the pork and onion in Dutch oven with a little garlic and onion powder, add sauce to cover meat, bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for 2.5 hrs. You can do this in a pressure cooker set for 30 mins high pressure also. Serve with Mexican rice and refried beans, shredded cheese, sour cream and warmed corn tortillas. My kids all love this meal

Thai curry-

(Musseman curry paste)

3-4 lbs pork or beef cut into stew pieces, 1/2 onion diced, 4 large potatoes cut into stew chunks. Brown the meat in Dutch oven with the onion, add 1 big T red curry paste, season with salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder.

When meat is browned add 2 15 oz cans coconut milk, 1 T brown sugar, 1T fish sauce (can sub soy). If there's not enough liquid to cover, add chicken broth. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 2 hrs. Add potatoes, continue cooking 30-40 mins till potatoes are done. Check flavor add brown sugar and fish/soy sauce as needed. Should be sweet and savory. Serve with rice in a bowl. Kids also love this. You can also do this in a pressure cooker for 30 mins high but you have to add the potatoes with the coconut milk and they end up really soft unless you use big chunks.

smoked turkey salad - this makes me want that ...a lot

green onions, small diced sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and maybe some smoked paprika

either on a nice sourdough ...maybe a turkey melt

smoked turkey salad - this makes me want that ...a lot

green onions, small diced sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper and maybe some smoked paprika

either on a nice sourdough ...maybe a turkey melt
Yeah...smoked turkey...then some ham making a ridiculously good chef salad later this week. Have some break we didn't quite finish before it was a little stale...will toast it up for some croutons.

GM, I started buying bulk about 6 weeks ago

Flour, rice, beans, potatoes, frozen veggies, tortillas, noodles, meat, eggs, milk. Haven't ordered from any restaurant for all this time. 

Meals

Carne adovada

Thai curry

Spaghetti

Lasagna

Enchiladas

Fish tacos

Hamburgers

Pesto pasta

Mac n cheese

Ham and potatoes au gratin

Guac

Recipes

Carne adovada

8-10 dry red New Mexico chili (guadillo if you like mild), remove stems. Add to saucepan w/3-4 cups cold water bring to boil 2-3 mins. Let cool a bit. Cut 3-4 lbs of pork shoulder into stew cubes, dice 1/2 onion. Set aside.

Put chilis and water into food processor or blender, add 1T garlic, 1 T leaf oregano, 2 tsp salt, puree for 2 mins. Strain liquid into bowl, discard seeds/pulp. Brown the pork and onion in Dutch oven with a little garlic and onion powder, add sauce to cover meat, bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for 2.5 hrs. You can do this in a pressure cooker set for 30 mins high pressure also. Serve with Mexican rice and refried beans, shredded cheese, sour cream and warmed corn tortillas. My kids all love this meal

Thai curry-

(Musseman curry paste)

3-4 lbs pork or beef cut into stew pieces, 1/2 onion diced, 4 large potatoes cut into stew chunks. Brown the meat in Dutch oven with the onion, add 1 big T red curry paste, season with salt/pepper/garlic/onion powder.

When meat is browned add 2 15 oz cans coconut milk, 1 T brown sugar, 1T fish sauce (can sub soy). If there's not enough liquid to cover, add chicken broth. Bring to boil, cover and simmer 2 hrs. Add potatoes, continue cooking 30-40 mins till potatoes are done. Check flavor add brown sugar and fish/soy sauce as needed. Should be sweet and savory. Serve with rice in a bowl. Kids also love this. You can also do this in a pressure cooker for 30 mins high but you have to add the potatoes with the coconut milk and they end up really soft unless you use big chunks.
Nice!  Like you, haven't had one meal that was prepared by me or my wife since this started.  In fact, I think my last restaurant meal was wings at BWW the day they shut down.  Three day weekend went like this:

Friday - Burgers/dogs on the grill.  
Saturday - Build your own personal pizza (wife makes the dough from scratch) then I grill them up.  Added fresh pineapple and banana peppers to mine.  Perfection.  
Sunday - Blackened salmon (wild sockeye $7.99/Lb at Freddy's!) with peppers, onions and pineapple in the grill basket.  
Tonight - Steaks on the grill using my flat cast iron to sear in the crust.  Potatoes grilled up too.  

This weather is perfect!  I was outside in my backyard reading and listening to tunes most of the weekend.  It was glorious.  I could get used to this quarantine life.

Made a stock from my leftover ham (wasn’t as flavorful as I would have liked)

then I made a kind of Moroccan spice mix and made a soup using the stock, mirepoix , spice mix, leftover ham, potato, corn and chick peas 

pretty good

Started a sour dough starter to make fresh bread given haven't been able to find yeast at stores.  Hope it turns out well and will let folks know.  
I got my kids into sourdough recently and just started a starter myself on 4/9.  I guess I'm supposed to keep feeding for a couple of weeks so seems like the perfect time to give it a shot.  Let us know how it goes.

I've been doing the whole roasted chickens, which make a nice dinner for the family alongside roasted potatoes and/or veggies.  I've then been taking the carcass and making stock for ramen.  I re-hydrate dried mushrooms, and filter the soaking liquid into the broth, and add either miso or fresh ginger, soy and mirin to the broth.  Add noodles, the rehydrated mushrooms, some chopped green onions, a soft-boiled sous vide egg, and I reserve a chicken breast to slice up into each bowl.  I have a soy/mirin mixture in a container that I can marinate my eggs in and also add to the broth.  Picture of one of my efforts  This one happened to be with a Costco rotisserie chicken.

Another staple item in our household is pressure cooker refried beans. They're super easy and fast, and taste way better than canned beans.  I bought a 25lb bag at Costco for $15 and it will probably make the equivalent of 100 cans of beans.

7C water 

2C dried beans (washed and checked for rocks and rotten beans)

1 onion roughly chopped

1tsp salt

Set on manual for 45 minutes and let the pressure release naturally, so maybe 1 hour for it to come to pressure, cook and release

I always add cumin, oregano and garlic powder to my beans.  Sometimes I add bay leaves and/or chili powder.  If you really want to make them taste good, saute the onion with lard before adding everything else to the pot, but I usually skip this step.  Once complete, take the beans out, but reserve the cooking liquid.  Using a potato masher or a stick blender, mash/blend to desired consistency and add some cooking liquid if needed.  Add more salt to taste at the end if needed.

We've been doing our best to make sure absolutely no food gets wasted, but the most challenging part by far is maintaining a supply of fresh produce while limiting trips to the grocery store.  Will post more of the recipes we're doing later

I got my kids into sourdough recently and just started a starter myself on 4/9.  I guess I'm supposed to keep feeding for a couple of weeks so seems like the perfect time to give it a shot.  Let us know how it goes.
Take a half cup of the starter and add 1/2tsp of baking powder. Makes a great batter. Dunk some apple/banana slices in the batter, deep fry, and coat in cinnamon/sugar. My family loves this for breakfast and better than throwing it away. :thumbup:

Now that we're getting warmer weather I'm going to throw some quesadillas on the grill.  Grill my chicken and peppers and onions first, i use lite soy sauce on both to keep them moist and give some umami. Then drip a little oil on one side of a tortilla and rub another one on it so they both get a light cover.  Put my shredded cheese, tear off bits of chicken with two forks, and peppers on top of the open face until it just starts to melt, fold in half, flip it once and cut it up.

The outside gets dry this way, so if you're not into that, you can melt the cheese on top of the chicken before you throw it into the tortilla. 

What i like about it is that it's an easy way to stretch one or two chicken breasts into a whole family meal, which is a big deal when it's hard to find chicken at the store. 

Going to try and make bread tomorrow and will try and get it to rise overnight.  Will let you know how it comes out.  My starter rose a fair amount last night after I feed it so hopeful it can work.  We shall see.  

I've been doing the whole roasted chickens, which make a nice dinner for the family alongside roasted potatoes and/or veggies.  I've then been taking the carcass and making stock for ramen.  I re-hydrate dried mushrooms, and filter the soaking liquid into the broth, and add either miso or fresh ginger, soy and mirin to the broth.  Add noodles, the rehydrated mushrooms, some chopped green onions, a soft-boiled sous vide egg, and I reserve a chicken breast to slice up into each bowl.  I have a soy/mirin mixture in a container that I can marinate my eggs in and also add to the broth.  Picture of one of my efforts  This one happened to be with a Costco rotisserie chicken.
+ 1 on the roasted chicken for Ramen.  My daughter has taken to loving ramen...of course being 12 she is satisfied with the 15 cent package :yucky:   But she loves when I take the time to make my own broth.  She doesn't want all the sides...just broth poured over the noodles and a few pieces of chicken.

Wife and I have it with mushrooms, green onions...some fresh spinach that wilts in the hot broth.

Now that we're getting warmer weather I'm going to throw some quesadillas on the grill.  Grill my chicken and peppers and onions first, i use lite soy sauce on both to keep them moist and give some umami. Then drip a little oil on one side of a tortilla and rub another one on it so they both get a light cover.  Put my shredded cheese, tear off bits of chicken with two forks, and peppers on top of the open face until it just starts to melt, fold in half, flip it once and cut it up.

The outside gets dry this way, so if you're not into that, you can melt the cheese on top of the chicken before you throw it into the tortilla. 

What i like about it is that it's an easy way to stretch one or two chicken breasts into a whole family meal, which is a big deal when it's hard to find chicken at the store. 
Quesadillas are a favorite around here.  Start doing them during lent as a veggie option on fridays sometimes.  Black bean and spinach or spinach and mushroom for my wife and I.

With a couple turkey breasts in the freezer...the smoked turkey quesadillas will be happening again soon too.

I typically don't grill them though...do them in a pan on the stove in a little butter...keep them good and buttery and soft.

Quesadillas are a favorite around here.  Start doing them during lent as a veggie option on fridays sometimes.  Black bean and spinach or spinach and mushroom for my wife and I.

With a couple turkey breasts in the freezer...the smoked turkey quesadillas will be happening again soon too.

I typically don't grill them though...do them in a pan on the stove in a little butter...keep them good and buttery and soft.
I was looking forward to grilling them but now i kind of want to do that. 

Also i think you inspired a new name for Team @Otis in our challenge vs the 10k nerds. Need @fred_1_15301 and @The Flying Turtle and @krista4 and @DA RAIDERS and co but i think Good and Buttery and Soft captures the joie de vivre of our team

Had a spiral ham for Easter.

Soaked 2 cups of pinto beans overnight.

Took the bone with probably a half to three quarters pound of meat attached, put it in the crock pot with two chopped cloves of garlic and a chopped and a lightly browned onion. 1.5 containers of chicken broth. Carrots. Chopped potatoes. Salt. Rosemary from the garden. 2 cups of water. The beans.

5 hours on high. Separated the meat with a spoon. 

One of the best things I’ve eaten in awhile. Man it’s a hearty broth. Deep and satisfying. 
I :wub:  cooking with a leftover ham bone.  

Borrowing my buddy's panini maker tonight.  Putting the little kids to bed early and then having paninis with the wife and older boys.  Never used one of these before.  Strange how excited I am about this.  :bag:

Thinking the best bread would be a dense Ciabatta or something similar.  Was going to buy some pastrami, saliami, turkey at the deli counter (gloved and masked) along with some provolone.  My wife doesn't eat meat, so was thinking gruyere and roasted peppers for her.

Any panini suggestions for a first timer?

Borrowing my buddy's panini maker tonight.  Putting the little kids to bed early and then having paninis with the wife and older boys.  Never used one of these before.  Strange how excited I am about this.  :bag:

Thinking the best bread would be a dense Ciabatta or something similar.  Was going to buy some pastrami, saliami, turkey at the deli counter (gloved and masked) along with some provolone.  My wife doesn't eat meat, so was thinking gruyere and roasted peppers for her.

for her: tomato, basil, fresh mozzarella...drizzle all of that with olive oil and balsamic glaze, S&P

for you: add prosciutto to the above 

Having the ham for Easter and getting 3 solid days of meals from it spread over the week makes me think we should probably order four ten poundish turkeys every month and rotate them out of freezers. A turkey and subsequent leftovers would be healthier and service as protein 8-10 meals for a family of 4 over the course of a week.

Could do similar with the carcass and stock and make a nice stew, which can be frozen as well.

Economical, healthy, and pretty easy,

Just a thought. 
Also, loving the Ham leftovers. I have a turkey breast we are going to roast on Sunday but haven't gone full turkey route.  Imagine we get a bunch of meals out of it.  Also, have a couple of chickens and a brisket.  Enjoying using these large cuts as you get a ton of food out of them per dollar and they are easy to find. People in this country don't know how to cook with these type of things and are intimidated.   

Having the ham for Easter and getting 3 solid days of meals from it spread over the week makes me think we should probably order four ten poundish turkeys every month and rotate them out of freezers. A turkey and subsequent leftovers would be healthier and service as protein 8-10 meals for a family of 4 over the course of a week. Would probably service 40% of overall food need without much fuss.

Been baking a fresh sourdough every 2-3 days, which is ideal for sandwiches.

Could do similar with the carcass and stock and make a nice stew, which can be frozen as well.

Also among a stew with veggies alleviates any concerns of produce contamination.

Just a thought. 
You ever consider the sourdough soup bread bowl for your delicious leftover soups?

Also, loving the Ham leftovers. I have a turkey breast we are going to roast on Sunday but haven't gone full turkey route.  Imagine we get a bunch of meals out of it.  Also, have a couple of chickens and a brisket.  Enjoying using these large cuts as you get a ton of food out of them per dollar and they are easy to find. People in this country don't know how to cook with these type of things and are intimidated.   
Was a little miffed at my coworker who had ham on easter and just threw his hamebone away.  :kicksrock:

Guacamole Ingredients

• 2 Medium Avocados, peeled and mashed
  • 2 Small Tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 Small Green onions, minced
  • 2 Serrano Peppers, seeded and minced
  • 2 T of Chopped Cilantro Leaves
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • Black Pepper to taste
Stir it all together and refridgerate for about an hour.  That's it.

Deviations committed by me:

• I never seed my peppers
  • I'll add dried crushed chiles
  • I'm not sure what the definition of a green onion is - the whole thing; just the bulb, or just fresh green part?  I use both ends,  and I probably use 2 or less.
This looks good, but adding lime juice and a little bit of garlic powder would improve it. I promise.

you may want to give ham balls a try.  My son requested them so I made them for Easter - but they are perfect for leftover baked ham (just combine with some uncooked ground pork).

there are a bunch of variations - we like using graham crackers instead of bread crumbs and more of a mustard-based sauce than ketchup.  

Ham Balls

Pesto spread

Having the ham for Easter and getting 3 solid days of meals from it spread over the week makes me think we should probably order four ten poundish turkeys every month and rotate them out of freezers. A turkey and subsequent leftovers would be healthier and service as protein 8-10 meals for a family of 4 over the course of a week. Would probably service 40% of overall food need without much fuss.

Been baking a fresh sourdough every 2-3 days, which is ideal for sandwiches.

Also among a stew with veggies alleviates any concerns of produce contamination.

Just a thought. 
what's your sourdough recipe?

My daughter makes this at her house all the time so we decided to give a shot and man, not sure I can eat corn again any other way. Simple to make

Mexican Street Corn

You can use whatever spice rub (we use blackened seasoning from Zatarains) but what I've found is the cotija cheese is a must. You can do a poor mans version with Parmesan but it's not nearly the same. I could eat this stuff every meal.

It took a bit longer then I hoped but was able to produce bread yesterday using the starter.  It definitely rose but less than using instant yeast so was a bit heavy.  It did taste great and was a great addition to our dinner, which was pasta carbonara using leftover ham in replace of bacon.  Also, the whole process has been fun with kids though the wife thinks I am crazy.

Pic of bread - https://imgur.com/a/SrlAVZi

Bread recipe, which I was happy with - https://food52.com/recipes/82145-no-knead-sourdough-bread-recipe

Good thread

I made pea soup with the left over ham bone from Easter. Pretty cheap to make and I will eat it for 5-7 days. 

I just googled pea soup crock pot and got a basic recipe. I tweaked it depending on what I had and what I didn't. Healthy as well.

Some things that we make at home that are really quick and easy.  If you have the basic ingredients, they can be made in no time.

1.  Fried rice -- We eat a good bit of rice with our meals.  Whenever we have a lot leftover after a day or two, it's perfect for fried rice.  Usually cut up a few pieces of bacon and cook, take out, then using the oil remaining from the rendered fat, toss in some chopped garlic, onions, green onions.  After that cooks for a couple minutes, cook 3-4 eggs (scrambled/omelet style), add the bacon, mix all this together and put in the rice.  Soy sauce to taste and keep mixing all together.  Takes 10 minutes tops to make a decent amount.  Can add any other leftover protein you might have (chicken, beef, shrimp, whatever....)

2.  Pork or chicken cutlets -- We have an Aldi close by that sells thin sliced boneless pork chops.  It's like 9 pieces for $5.  In a bowl, mix some egg, milk, salt, pepper, oregano.  Pork chops in that mixture, then coat with bread crumbs (we use Italian style).  Fry in 1/4" - 1/2" worth of oil in a frying pan.  Again, takes 10 minutes to make.

3.  Shrimp scampi -- Lots of different recipes for this, but I've found simplest is best.  We usually keep a couple bags of frozen shrimp and buy more while out when running low.  While pasta is cooking, I do prep and then start cooking with about 3-4 minutes remaining.  Saute' shrimp (between 1 - 1.5 lbs of shrimp) in olive oil after seasoning with salt and pepper.  Cook ~1 min on each side.  THEN toss in chopped garlic (5-6 pieces), 3/4ths - 1 stick of butter, red pepper flakes.  After about 30-60 seconds when the butter fully melts, a little grated cheese to thicken up just a touch and toss pasta directly in.  Ridiculously easy and tasty. 

Not sure where the best place to post this but figured a thread on food during these times might be as good a place as any.  Consider making a monetary donation to your local food bank or soup kitchen.  A high school friend runs a soup kitchen and he says the demand has basically doubled at the same time many of their volunteers are unable to help since many are seniors .  Also, here is an article from CNN on food banks generally and the overwhelming need with some very powerful photos to show the trying times.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/us/gallery/food-banks-coronavirus/index.html

.  Shrimp scampi -- Lots of different recipes for this, but I've found simplest is best.  We usually keep a couple bags of frozen shrimp and buy more while out when running low.  While pasta is cooking, I do prep and then start cooking with about 3-4 minutes remaining.  Saute' shrimp (between 1 - 1.5 lbs of shrimp) in olive oil after seasoning with salt and pepper.  Cook ~1 min on each side.  THEN toss in chopped garlic (5-6 pieces), 3/4ths - 1 stick of butter, red pepper flakes.  After about 30-60 seconds when the butter fully melts, a little grated cheese to thicken up just a touch and toss pasta directly in.  Ridiculously easy and tasty. 
You may already know this tip, but just in case:

a. leave the pasta a little undercooked

b. save off some of the pasta water before you drain it

c. add some pasta water to the sauce, and finish cooking the pasta there.  The starchy water will thicken the sauce and the pasta will absorb some flavor as it finishes cooking.

2.  Pork or chicken cutlets -- We have an Aldi close by that sells thin sliced boneless pork chops.  It's like 9 pieces for $5.  In a bowl, mix some egg, milk, salt, pepper, oregano.  Pork chops in that mixture, then coat with bread crumbs (we use Italian style).  Fry in 1/4" - 1/2" worth of oil in a frying pan.  Again, takes 10 minutes to make.
I've been making a big batch of chicken cutlets once a week, easy for the kids to use for self-service lunches/sandwiches throughout the week.

Users who are viewing this thread