What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sardine and Tinned Fish Thread. (2 Viewers)

On long backcountry mountain bike rides tinned fish is awesome once you get down how to make sure the empty tine doesn't spill juice in your pack.

Ordered some Bela's (EVOO), and they are fantastic. Probably even a little better than Oscar.

I think I need to find other sources besides Amazon for my 'dines though. Since Amazon has farmed out so many deliveries to gig workers, everything that comes is beat to hell.

I've been eating a tin a day for the last few months. I tried a few different brands before settling on this one from Trader Joe's. That reddit review puts them in the middle of the road and they seem to be sardine conniseurs on that subreddit, but I'm happy with those sardines. The taste is mild and the nutritional value seems solid. Converting for serving size, it looks similar to your Bela's. I took a peek at the high end website and saw sardines with much less protein/gram.

The only downside to these power packed fish is the BPA from the cans. I’m not sure if having a can a day bibs anything to worry about or not? I know wild planet brand used to claim to be BPA free but they have since got rid of that since they said some of their testing revealed it did have trace amounts.

My wife brought up an interesting idea. Use the sardines like canned salmon. i.e. mix them up with mayo (or whatever you usually use) and then put them on bread for a sandwich.
Anybody tried them like this before?

Love sardines and know they are loaded with protein. I assume they are pretty high in sodium though? That's my concern.

This thread is motivating me to dig into a can. Is there a consensus brand/flavor?
If I had to guess, I'd say King Oscar in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Great sardine, available almost everywhere.

But I would think (and has been my experience), anything in the $2-4 can range is going to be really good. Frankly, all the $1 cans I've had are pretty good too.

This thread is really about sardines??? I assumed it was some secret code to hide from the mods in plain sight.

I'm Shuked.

Sardines are awesome, especially the ones in olive oil. Never understood why Biggie hated on them. One of the best "poorer" foods around.

Love sardines and know they are loaded with protein. I assume they are pretty high in sodium though? That's my concern.
King Oscar EVOO is 15% of the DV of sodium. Deenz in water w/ no salt added will cut that in about half. Though I've never tried sardines in water, but I'm down to give it a go.

I'm no nutritionist, but while certainly high in sodium, it doesn't seem too crazy high compared to all the positives.

I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal for somebody that doesn't also eat a lot of processed or restaurant food.

King Oscar EVOO is 15% of the DV of sodium. Deenz in water w/ no salt added will cut that in about half. Though I've never tried sardines in water, but I'm down to give it a go.

I'm no nutritionist, but while certainly high in sodium, it doesn't seem too crazy high compared to all the positives.

I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal for somebody that doesn't also eat a lot of processed or restaurant food.
Thanks, that's not too bad. I eat almost totally fresh food and don't eat meat so my sodium is probably pretty low but blood pressure is one health thing I need to keep an eye on so the sodium has been a little worry. I am sure I will love sardines if I incorporate them into my regular diet. I am curious how the sardines in water are. I think I am going to give this a go.

There is a fish market in Ann Arbor that I believe has fresh, I am going to take a shot at that too.

Thanks, that's not too bad. I eat almost totally fresh food and don't eat meat so my sodium is probably pretty low but blood pressure is one health thing I need to keep an eye on so the sodium has been a little worry. I am sure I will love sardines if I incorporate them into my regular diet. I am curious how the sardines in water are. I think I am going to give this a go.

There is a fish market in Ann Arbor that I believe has fresh, I am going to take a shot at that too.
We don't have a fish market here, but we do have a fish purveyor. It's been a while since I've been there, but that would be my best shot of finding the fresh sardines around here. @massraider has me inspired to get ahold of the fresh stuff.

Our little way inland VA city probably isn't a hotbed for great seafood, but in dealing with this guy, he's a go-getter that cares about his craft. He seems to be grinding it out with success after about 12 years or so. He could probably find some fresh sardines.

My wife brought up an interesting idea. Use the sardines like canned salmon. i.e. mix them up with mayo (or whatever you usually use) and then put them on bread for a sandwich.
Anybody tried them like this before?
I’ve never made a mix, but have put sardines on toast and drizzled on mayonnaise. It’s a nice sandwich.

I like them but enjoy in moderation. They are not good for the gouts. Very high in the “bad” protein. Purine

I like them but enjoy in moderation. They are not good for the gouts. Very high in the “bad” protein. Purine
I've got a random ankle pain that started popping up about a month ago. No incident that I know of where I twisted it or anything.

About a month ago was also when I started eating sardines like a madman, and I noticed the pain is really bad if I go on a sardine bender the night before.

Gout seems to be a reasonable hypothesis. Got to lay off the beloved deenz for a bit.

I've got a random ankle pain that started popping up about a month ago. No incident that I know of where I twisted it or anything.

About a month ago was also when I started eating sardines like a madman, and I noticed the pain is really bad if I go on a sardine bender the night before.

Gout seems to be a reasonable hypothesis. Got to lay off the beloved deenz for a bit.
Outer front portion of the joint?

Yeah. That's where it started and where the main pain is. And a little swelling there.

The inside hurts sometimes too, but that only started after a few weeks of having to walk oddly, which I think was putting pressure on that part of the ankle.

Yeah. That's where it started and where the main pain is. And a little swelling there.

The inside hurts sometimes too, but that only started after a few weeks of having to walk oddly, which I think was putting pressure on that part of the ankle.
Sounds like The Gouts. Tread with caution.

Sounds like The Gouts. Tread with caution.
Taking a break from the deenz for a bit (and apparently mackerel and yellowfin too, dang, we can't have anything nice).

Hopefully, moderation will do. I've really been on a sardine bender the last month. At least one can a day, sometimes more for a late night snack.

Taking the plunge with a giant can of Goya sardines in tomato sauce.
Still making my way to Goya deenz, but I promise you'll enjoy checking out Canned Fish File's episode on Goya as you do.

I watched a couple of this guys vids. Can't get all the way through them but the funny thing is I now eat my sardines with chopsticks following his example. Its strange I know, but makes perfect sense to me - much better than a fork for picking through the delicate meats.

Gout be damned, I held out as long as i could.
It had been since Monday that I had my last Deenz. Had to have some tonight.

I'm off tomorrow, so it's only a 10 hour work day.

I have a pantry full of a solid variety, but when I had to choose what was going to be the Deen that lit me up tomorrow, Bela was the easy choice.
If I'm going to hurt all day tomorrow, I'm fine doing that for the Bela's.

Got a case of Nuri's in (Spiced in Olive Oil). Oh man, they are incredible.

Similar to Bela's, but a little firmer, and the spiced oil is delicious.
About $5 a can, but worth every penny.

I've only had a few types, so far my favorite is the Mina s&b in extra virgin.
Just picked up some Mina's today. Got some unexpected time off, and decided to do some proper local deen hunting (Kroger type places around here just have K.O., and maybe some Season).

The Fresh Market seems to be the local tinned fish honey hole. Mina, Matiz, Porthos, Wild Planet, Patagonia, Bar Harbor, Cole's. This place is about to cost me a lot money.

Tried some WIld Planet (EVOO).
Decent, but not in the same ball park as Bela and Nuri.
A big step below King Oscar, too, IMO.

Really, unless comparing them to some Chicken of the Sea or something, I'm not sure I see the point. Big fellas, but pretty much mushy and tasteless. Wild Planet has done some nice marketing, but I'd need a good reason to try any of the Pacific one's again, if WP is a good example of them.

Not to be negative. I've loved all canned sardines I've ever had. Chicken of the Sea, Beach Cliff, all that. Just that Wild Planet doesn't seem to belong in the upper tier, imo.

Last edited:
Tried some WIld Planet (EVOO).
Decent, but not in the same ball park as Bela and Nuri.
A big step below King Oscar, too, IMO.

Really, unless comparing them to some Chicken of the Sea or something, I'm not sure I see the point. Big fellas, but pretty much mushy and tasteless. Wild Planet has done some nice marketing, but I'd need a good reason to try any of the Pacific one's again, if WP is a good example of them.

Not to be negative. I've loved all canned sardines I've ever had. Chicken of the Sea, Beach Cliff, all that. Just that Wild Planet doesn't seem to belong in the upper tier, imo.
I think their claim to fame was the BPA free cans, not to mention I can get a 6 pack for 7 to 10 bucks at Costco.

The addiction keeps growing. I'm starting to branch out into other types of tinned fish. Roasted eel and oysters are awesome. Looking for some mussels and scallops.

The go-to online shop for tinned fish nerds is a pretty interesting business story. Oddly enough, it's a mom and pop tomato farm outside of Philly.
Rainbow Tomatoes Garden

Little tomato farm needs something to sell year-round. Tries stuff (that goes with tomatoes) like olive oil, salt, etc. But he's a tinned fish nerd and in 2019 started selling tinned fish at his tomato farm.
Between Covid and having a relationship with a couple tinned fish YouTubers right when they started exploding (Matthew Carlsen, Slow Jabroni), business just took off.
Now they have somebody else doing the tomato farming while they sling tinned fish.

I'm pretty fascinated to see how they do in the online retail landscape.
Right now, in addition to the online/social presence, what helps them is that the owner works like a dog sourcing the tins. 700+ different products is pretty impressive.

It's a classic Mom and Pop competing in an Amazon world now.

I made my first RTG order last night, along with an order from Amazon.
Amazon order will be here Monday of course.
I'll be shocked if I even know the total cost of the RTG order by then. They have an odd system. You place the order online. Then they pack it, calculate the exact shipping, and let you know.

Anyway, I'm fascinated to see how the business does long-term. They seem to have found their niche.

Also the tinned fish boom reminds me a lot of the whiskey boom

Both are affordable luxuries, and shelf stable. Like distillers, you've got canneries all over the world that have been producing great tinned fish for centuries, and the US market is/was largely untapped.

Both are products that used to just be associated with old drunks.

Now you get people with money, hipsters, and such chasing down hard to find expensive bottles/tins.

And the old drunks get mad when they see the products they've been enjoying for decades shoot up in price.

From RTG, I get an email from the owner at 7:00 on a Saturday morning explaining their shipping process and asking about my personal tinned fish journey and how I found them.

With the shipping they have a commitment to not make or lose a penny on it, which is why it takes a bit to find out the total cost.

Definitely seems like an intriguing business.

Finally got around to some Patagonia mussels. Wow. Absolutely delicious.

The Patagonia tinned fish products are the same as the clothing company. No idea how the sourcing works but the tinned fish seems to be generally well respected.

If the rest of their stuff is as good as the mussels, I get it.

Finally got around to some Patagonia mussels. Wow. Absolutely delicious.

The Patagonia tinned fish products are the same as the clothing company. No idea how the sourcing works but the tinned fish seems to be generally well respected.

If the rest of their stuff is as good as the mussels, I get it.
love the commitment. :lmao:
I wonder if they ever thought of including a free tin of something inside the pocket of their jackets.

Users who are viewing this thread