What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sardine and Tinned Fish Thread. (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Saying it here because nobody else in my life seems to get it.
For the first 44 years of my life, I mostly ignored sardines. Picked up a couple cans a few weeks ago, and oh man, they are so good. I can't believe I missed out on all these years.

For a very convenient, sustainable protein snack, sardines are super hard to beat.
Also been throwing them into stir-fries/curries or any situation where I might use meat in cooking. Pop a can of these babies and boom.

Looking for some rec's from any experienced tinnedfishguys out here. Only been buying what I can find in the local grocery stores, which isn't huge selection.

King Oscar products have lived up to their billing, and the best I've had so far.
Other, cheaper stuff is really good too. Beach Cliff is solid, though it's herring labeled as sardines. Brunswick Herring one's good too.

Didn't totally love Chicken of the Sea, but I only tried the mustard one. The fish seemed okay, but I didn't care for the mustard sauce. I'll try some others.

Also, I can't recommend the Canned Fish Files youtube channel highly enough. This dude's entire channel is about eating, you guessed it......... canned fish. It's insane how good he is at this weird sounding channel.

Absolutely love sardines. Get the 6 pack from costco. They go on sale every few months and I buy a bunch then. Saute up the can with some red onion and throw on some rice or nuked potatoes. Easy, delicious, nutritious and cheap.

When I was a kid, I could eat those King Oscars with no problem. I just can't do it now, it's not the taste, tastes fine. Those little fish in a can though, its all too unsettling to eat.

I get the Season brand boneless/skinless at Costco and keep them at my office for nights when I get stuck working late with no good food options. Great with Triscuits and/or some hot sauce but I typically just eat them straight out of the can. The one thing that I think goes without saying is if eating these at the office, you have to take care of the waste. I usually walk the empty can directly out back to our garbage bins and make sure everything is well-cleaned up.

I'm pretty new to the sardine world.
King Oscar and Polar are the only ones I've ever seen labeled "brisling". Love Oscar, and plan on ordering some Polar.

Do you know of any other brands labeled brisling?

Absolutely love sardines. Get the 6 pack from costco. They go on sale every few months and I buy a bunch then. Saute up the can with some red onion and throw on some rice or nuked potatoes. Easy, delicious, nutritious and cheap.
Rice and sardines is now at the top of my list of what to make for a wonderful dinner when I have very little time or energy. Both last forever and don't require refrigeration.

And perfect to throw in whatever vegetables need to get used up before they go bad.

Like them a lot, don’t eat them a ton though. Ate them a lot as a kid too either on saltines or just plain

Never had them hot, will have to give a shot

Also I remember as a kid they always came with that little key and you rolled the lid off. Don’t think I see that anymore

I’m fine with King Oscar or whatever, I’m sure there’s some high end tinned fish but i never really get into that (nobody else in the house eats it other than Starkist)

Talked to my sister today. She distinctly remembers her and I eating sardine sandwiches when we were kids.

I have no recollection of it.

For the first 44 years of my life, I mostly ignored sardines. Picked up a couple cans a few weeks ago, and oh man, they are so good. I can't believe I missed out on all these years.

For a very convenient, sustainable protein snack, sardines are super hard to beat.
Also been throwing them into stir-fries/curries or any situation where I might use meat in cooking. Pop a can of these babies and boom.

Looking for some rec's from any experienced tinnedfishguys out here. Only been buying what I can find in the local grocery stores, which isn't huge selection.

King Oscar products have lived up to their billing, and the best I've had so far.
Other, cheaper stuff is really good too. Beach Cliff is solid, though it's herring labeled as sardines. Brunswick Herring one's good too.

Didn't totally love Chicken of the Sea, but I only tried the mustard one. The fish seemed okay, but I didn't care for the mustard sauce. I'll try some others.

Also, I can't recommend the Canned Fish Files youtube channel highly enough. This dude's entire channel is about eating, you guessed it......... canned fish. It's insane how good he is at this weird sounding channel.
I’m a big fan of the wild planet brand in evoo.

The discussion is sardines, focus on sardines.

With that said I love the sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce.

If you really love Sardines, go to Lisbon on June 12th for St. Anthony Festival....Every one in town is out barbecuing and partying on the streets, with Sardines being the main fare. One of the best festivals in Europe. These are a bigger version than the ones in the can, but very delicious.

If you really love Sardines, go to Lisbon on June 12th for St. Anthony Festival....Every one in town is out barbecuing and partying on the streets, with Sardines being the main fare. One of the best festivals in Europe. These are a bigger version than the ones in the can, but very delicious.
Damn, I'm busy that day.

God my first can

In mustard sauce

Waiting for just the right moment
Congratulations.
Any moment is a good moment for some 'dines, but I think breakfast might be my favorite time for them.

Start the day with a delicious treat packed with protein and omega-3's.

God my first can

In mustard sauce

Congratulations.
Any moment is a good moment for some 'dines, but I think breakfast might be my favorite time for them.

@ room temperature the best option, you think?
However the mood strikes is great. Tinned fish is a limitless journey.

But all you need is a fork.
And the fork is optional.

God my first can

In mustard sauce

Congratulations.

@ room temperature the best option, you think?
However the mood strikes is great. Tinned fish is a limitless journey.

But all you need is a fork.
And the fork is optional.
Toothpicks are the shark move.

Had my first smoked Latvian sprats. Apparently, Latvia is to the sardine world what the Islay region is to the Scotch world. They just love them super smoky.

Didn't love them personally, though it was an entry-level Polar 'dine. Fish was great, but it was pretty intense smokiness.. Had them last night, and kept experiencing it all day with every breathe today like you do after a night by the campfire.

Got some higher end smoked Latvians in the pantry, so I'll see how they compare.

Today is the day

King Oscar sardines in olive oil.

Happening right now

Really good and easy...

I think i'll like the other varieties even more....
I'm still in the early stages of exploring, but it seems like Oscar EVOO is pretty much the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale of the sardine world. Absolutely outstanding, and you can find it most anywhere. Available and approachable standard-bearer for the the North Atlantic/Baltic Sea brisling style.

Canned fish does seem pretty similar to beer, imo. We grow up thinking that canned fish means cheap tuna or that beer means a macro-adjunct lager.

Nothing wrong with either of those, imo, but there's just so much more.
My first time trying Oscar EVOO was very similar to SNPA. It's like "oh man, the other stuff is fine, but whoever put this is in this can really gives a ####"

Starting 6/21, $3 off wild pacific sardines at costco. Looks like these have the skin on. I usually buy the season brand, but I'm on my last 6 pack so might give these a shot. Can't vouch for these so don't shoot the messenger if they don't meet your expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread