What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comfortably Numb's Top 50 Tool songs #2 Jambi...and #1 H (1 Viewer)

:bag:

I don't know what I did.
I have my list on google sheets on my phone and have been moving songs up and down.
When i went to add the next song i noticed i was 1 off. after about 45m at work trying to figure it out I noticed I left reflection off and now I can't figure out if when I was moving songs up/down i deleted one or what. So i skipped 13 thinking no one was paying attention.

If anything is missing it would have been in the last few or the next several. I don't notice a big song missing.
When we get to #1...i may have a Steve Harvey moment and realize my #9 song didn't make the list and I have to amend.
:lmao:  I'm sure one of us will let you know what that "missing" song is if there is one.

comfortably numb said:
#12 Opiate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpdHuo7YwBU

You are broken now,
But faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.

This is pretty much right where I have this song as well.  Super catchy, but they have so much great stuff in their later catalogue that it's easy to slide it down out of the Top 10.  I listened to this all of the time while attending Catholic high school, which made me feel a little guilty at first.  Although, as I got older I realized that regardless of your personal beliefs, organized religion definitely has a lot of charlatans and phonies, so I think even solidly religious folks can rock out to songs like Opiate and Eulogy and not feel like they're necessarily spitting on their particular beliefs.

#11 Sober

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nspxAG12Cpc

I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well
I will find a center in you
I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down

This will be higher in most peoples list I presume. This song gets the...."i may not always go looking for it but when it's on I sing along like a nut" award.
Overall a great song and might be my 1st exposure to Tool on MTv? Maybe not. either way a good song that cracked the door open and began to introduce Tool and their style to me.

#11 Sober

I am just an imbecile

This will be higher in most peoples list I presume. This song gets the...."i may not always go looking for it but when it's on I sing along like a nut" award.
Overall a great song and might be my 1st exposure to Tool on MTv? Maybe not. either way a good song that cracked the door open and began to introduce Tool and their style to me.

So glad to finally see this song.  This is in the 30's maybe even 40's for me.  I think this is by far Tool's most overrated song.  I was in college when this came out but was more into STP, Soundgarden, AIC etc.  The amount of play this got on MTV and the fact I didn't really care of it turned me off to Tool just thought they were meh at the time.  Aenima was the 1st tool CD I bought and when I realized how fantastic it was I finally got Undertow and Opiate and only then realized how awesome Tool was.  I understand this is one of their iconic songs but I'll never understand the love for it.  I know others love it though.

So glad to finally see this song.  This is in the 30's maybe even 40's for me.  I think this is by far Tool's most overrated song.  I was in college when this came out but was more into STP, Soundgarden, AIC etc.  The amount of play this got on MTV and the fact I didn't really care of it turned me off to Tool just thought they were meh at the time.  Aenima was the 1st tool CD I bought and when I realized how fantastic it was I finally got Undertow and Opiate and only then realized how awesome Tool was.  I understand this is one of their iconic songs but I'll never understand the love for it.  I know others love it though.
I can understand that.
What puts it up for me also is repeatably. I can listen to this and sing a long every time. I haven't tired of it.

30's or 40's?!?!

I can understand that.
What puts it up for me also is repeatably. I can listen to this and sing a long every time. I haven't tired of it.

30's or 40's?!?!

Yep right now I'd swap spots with Rosetta Stoned which puts it at 37.  I could maybe bump it up a few spots.  It's not like I hate it I just like so much of Tools other stuff better.  I get it most fans love it just some reason this song really doesn't click with me like most of their other material.

#11 Sober

I am just an imbecile

Yep, this is the song that made me a Tool fan.  

#10 Lateralus

https://youtu.be/Y7JG63IuaWs

Reaching out to embrace the random
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come

overthinking, over analyzing....separates the body from the mind

And beckons me.... to look through to these...infinite possibilities

_

That opening....come on. How don't you love that? Great beginning,  middle and ending. Hearing that opening at a concert is a crow pleaser. 

I would say another rare song from Tool that jumps at you and doesn't require much to grow on you.  

Lateralus was the follow up to Aenima and did they knock it out of the park with this album. Some call it a masterpiece, their best album.  Regardless,  the song is well done and well putt together. 

Spiral out

While I don’t agree with a lot of the rankings on the list—I absolutely appreciate it.   Being a major Tool fan (and general fan of Maynard)—I’d have a hard time creating a ranked list of songs as I find my favorites tend to revolve.  Sometimes I just love the super hard early stuff where Maynard screams his head off, and sometimes I just want to listen to the musicianship and technical brilliance of the newer stuff like Tempest.   I honestly think that if I ranked Tool songs 6 times in a year—each of those 6 lists would have songs ranked differently.   I’m not sure if that makes sense. 

Not sure where I’d put it, probably somewhere between 5-15.  Musically it’s really amazing though what they did with it with the whole Fibonacci thing

Dan Lambskin said:
Not sure where I’d put it, probably somewhere between 5-15.  Musically it’s really amazing though what they did with it with the whole Fibonacci thing
Agreed I think I'd have this a couple of spots higher...maybe splitting hairs here.  It's a great song no doubt.  

Great list so far. 46&2 is probably a top 10 for me. I'm just waiting to see where Ænema ends up. Personally, I'd put it in top 3.

#9 Eulogy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vc9Mz2tfHM

He had a lot to say
He had a lot of nothing to say
We'll miss him
We'll miss him
Someone prepared to lead the way, with
Someone who would die for me
Will you? will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you ####in' lie
Don't you step out of line!!!.......Don't you ####in' lie

You've claimed all this time that you would die for me.
Why then are you so surprised when hear your own eulogy?
He had a lot to say.
He had a lot to say.
Goodbye!

So, this is a song that just kept growing and growing and growing on me. The initial sound of the bullhorn was odd and not catchy at 1st for me. Then the lyrics were pretty......confrontational. Given I was at the infancy of my cult days this was an odd set of lyrics for me to enjoy...yet read/pray and rejoice over 2 hours later. 
"I praise and thank you Lord for sacrificing yourself for my sins that I may have enteral life" and then....To ascend you must die You must be crucified...For our sins and our lies..Goodbye!.
I was able to separate church and music easily, so not like a internal struggle or anything but I did have a few non cult members friends/family who would criticize my music selection, despite my beliefs in the Lord...and they didn't even realize the actual lyrics.

Anyway...very good song overall. I don't think many would have this too much lower if at all. Love that stop and when MJK breaks into Yoou've...claimed all...this...time....that...you...would..die....for... me 
That was the part that sunk it's teeth into me over and over....and then to end it with a powerful GOODBYE!
Man...what a finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
#9 Eulogy 

He had a lot to say
We'll miss him
We'll miss him
Will you? will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you ####in' lie

He had a lot to say.
He had a lot to say.
Goodbye!

So, this is a song that just kept growing and growing and growing on me. The initial sound of the bullhorn was odd and not catchy at 1st for me. Then the lyrics were pretty......confrontational. Given I was at the infancy of my cult days this was an odd set of lyrics for me to enjoy...yet read/pray and rejoice over 2 hours later. 
"I praise and thank you Lord for sacrificing yourself for my sins that I may have enteral life" and then....To ascend you must die You must be crucified...For our sins and our lies..Goodbye!.
I was able to separate church and music easily, so not like a internal struggle or anything but I did have a few non cult members friends/family who would criticize my music selection, despite my beliefs in the Lord...and they didn't even realize the actual lyrics.

Anyway...very good song overall. I don't think many would have this too much lower if at all. Love that stop and when MJK breaks into Yoou've...claimed all...this...time....that...you...would..die....for... me 
That was the part that sunk it's teeth into me over and over....and then to end it with a powerful GOODBYE!
Man...what a finish.

Definite top 10 for me

#9 Eulogy 

He had a lot to say
We'll miss him
We'll miss him
Will you? will you now?
Would you die for me?
Don't you ####in' lie

He had a lot to say.
He had a lot to say.
Goodbye!

Man...what a finish.

#3 for me.  Absolutely love this song. 

Hurray, I can post again. I agree completely that Sober is by far the most overrated Tool song. I made a top 30 list to see where I am with songs to share once the OP is done, and Sober did not make it. It is the second worst real song to me from the Opiate/Undertow/Aenima trilogy (beating out 4o which is just completely unmemorable). I could not figure out why it was getting so much play and it probably delayed me listening to Tool by 3 years. To be fair, it is probably not actually out of my top 30 if I could treat it objectively, it might be #30, but due to being a single with all the air play I mentally dislike it more.

Also I recall playing Opiate with my mom around at some point and she was asking why I was listening to Jesus music.

#8 Prison Sex

https://youtu.be/cUPV4OfNlt0

But I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive

I.....have.... found.... some kind of temporary sanity in this 
#### blood and cum on my hands

You look so precious

I wanna say this was the1st song(video) that introduced me to Tool....officially. Seeing the clay figures on TV from this band was very different from all the videos from other bands. The riffs from Adam were eerie and something very new to my ears. Eventually seeing other videos from Tool and how they were not in the videos, not knowing what the band looked like just added to the...mystique?

The song itself stuck out to me. Yea, sounds like abuse but you're breathing so I guess you're still alive rings into so many other parts of life for me.

Contemplated putting this higher a bit also bringing it down a bit. Ultimately I appreciate the rawness of this sound and the infancy of where the band came from.

#8 Prison Sex

You look so precious

I wanna say this was the1st song(video) that introduced me to Tool....officially. Seeing the clay figures on TV from this band was very different from all the videos from other bands. The riffs from Adam were eerie and something very new to my ears. Eventually seeing other videos from Tool and how they were not in the videos, not knowing what the band looked like just added to the...mystique?

The song itself stuck out to me. Yea, sounds like abuse but you're breathing so I guess you're still alive rings into so many other parts of life for me.

Contemplated putting this higher a bit also bringing it down a bit. Ultimately I appreciate the rawness of this sound and the infancy of where the band came from.
Great song. Borderline top 5 for me glad you placed it highly.  The best song from Undertow.

#7 Invincible 

https://youtu.be/dU2S6qIrB7E

Weapon out and belly in....

Once invincible
Now the armor's wearing thin...

Cry aloud
Bold and proud
Of where I've been
But here I am
Where I end

Tears...in my eyes....

Bearing down 

Last minute decision to drop this down 1...or move up the next song 1 spot up...however you wanna shake it.

I guess you can say this is my favorite song from FI? IDK...that album is really digging its  claws into me and I like it so much, where next week i may feel different about what I like "best"....much like most of Tool's catalog moat would say. 

So far this song just sticks out more than others. It has such great build up. I think I can say this is their song with the most build up moments for me? When Adam breaks in at 3:45...that 8:00 mark...jesus...I mean you could probably play this song on loop during all of Braveheart and it would make anyone feel they can hop on a horse and charge into battle. 

I missed the encore in Newark as my 10 y/o son was realllllly tired (fell asleep at 1 point) as he pulled an all nighter the night before at a friend's sleepover...and I had to be a responsible adult. I was bummed I missed Invincible...but then Jesus rewarded me with Invincible in Atlantic City shortly afterwards.

So I have 6 or 7 songs on my top 30 list that you have not chosen (depending on whether I move forward with a two way tie at #30), and you have 6 songs left. You better make them count. You have already grabbed my 3-10, so all we have left that can overlap is #1 and #2. 

So I have 6 or 7 songs on my top 30 list that you have not chosen (depending on whether I move forward with a two way tie at #30), and you have 6 songs left. You better make them count. You have already grabbed my 3-10, so all we have left that can overlap is #1 and #2. 
Can you PM me those songs..doesnhave to be in order

I had a snafu on my list earlier and tried to look but don't notice that I am missing 1 but don't want to complete the list and then see a missed a song 

#7 Invincible 

https://youtu.be/dU2S6qIrB7E

Weapon out and belly in....

Once invincible
Now the armor's wearing thin...

Cry aloud
Bold and proud
Of where I've been
But here I am
Where I end

Tears...in my eyes....

Bearing down 

Last minute decision to drop this down 1...or move up the next song 1 spot up...however you wanna shake it.

I guess you can say this is my favorite song from FI? IDK...that album is really digging its  claws into me and I like it so much, where next week i may feel different about what I like "best"....much like most of Tool's catalog moat would say. 

So far this song just sticks out more than others. It has such great build up. I think I can say this is their song with the most build up moments for me? When Adam breaks in at 3:45...that 8:00 mark...jesus...I mean you could probably play this song on loop during all of Braveheart and it would make anyone feel they can hop on a horse and charge into battle. 

I missed the encore in Newark as my 10 y/o son was realllllly tired (fell asleep at 1 point) as he pulled an all nighter the night before at a friend's sleepover...and I had to be a responsible adult. I was bummed I missed Invincible...but then Jesus rewarded me with Invincible in Atlantic City shortly afterwards.
Agreed it’s the best song on the album.  Have probably played this at a 10:1 ratio over any of the others on the album.  

dkp993 said:
Agreed it’s the best song on the album.  Have probably played this at a 10:1 ratio over any of the others on the album.  
Same.  An aging FBG contingent can definitely relate to the lyrics.  

As we get to the last song before we approach the top 5 i would like to take this time and plug MJKs other projects. 

Specifically A perfect Circle and Puscifer

While I gave APC a chance it never really stuck. I had the 1st album and gave it some play I don't think I bought another. The sound/feel just never had the staying power for me. Eventually I never bothered with another albums.  This week I happened to stumble upon a cover they do of People are People from Depeche Mode (who i also love)....yea it kinda sucks.

Anyhow...I never even gave Puscifer a chance. Messed around last week and....we may have something here. The sound and feel gives me a slight tingly feel. I'm gonna have to check this out a bit more.

As we get to the last song before we approach the top 5 i would like to take this time and plug MJKs other projects. 

While I gave APC a chance it never really stuck. I had the 1st album and gave it some play I don't think I bought another. The sound/feel just never had the staying power for me. Eventually I never bothered with another albums.  This week I happened to stumble upon a cover they do of People are People from Depeche Mode (who i also love)....yea it kinda sucks.

Anyhow...I never even gave Puscifer a chance. Messed around last week and....we may have something here. The sound and feel gives me a slight tingly feel. I'm gonna have to check this out a bit more.
Yeah perfect circle is just ok for me, nothing I really seek out  all that much.  I don’t dislike them, kinda feels the same as you do

they do a really nice cover of Imagine though

Counting Bodies of Sheep...is another one I really like to

never really checked out Puscifier either

Yeah perfect circle is just ok for me, nothing I really seek out  all that much.  I don’t dislike them, kinda feels the same as you do

they do a really nice cover of Imagine though

Counting Bodies of Sheep...is another one I really like to

never really checked out Puscifier either
Oh....yeah 1000%

Don't hear it much but when I hear MJK hit Imagine. It is so..........haunting.

Really well done.

Let me check on sheep. 

Within 20min of puscifer listen i already feel it will have more of a lasting effect than APC

Puscifer I could never find my groove with but APC has quite a few songs I dig.  Off the new album Disillusioned and TalkTalk are in strong rotation on my Spotify right now.  APC certainly is no Tool but I do like them

I made a list of top Puscifer songs and where I would intercalculate them among Tool songs in rankings as well. My top Puscifer song is probably Polar Bear. I never really got that into APC, but it feels like they have more ok songs than Puscifer, but a lower ceiling. 

I made a list of top Puscifer songs and where I would intercalculate them among Tool songs in rankings as well. My top Puscifer song is probably Polar Bear. I never really got that into APC, but it feels like they have more ok songs than Puscifer, but a lower ceiling. 
Nice

Will give it a try. The Humbling River so far seems right up my alley. 

Puscifer is well worth the deep listen. Most songs are more simplistic than Tool from the musical side, but offer tons of lyrical depth.

ETA: Carina Round is dreamy.

#6 The Grudge

Wear the grudge like a crown ..of negativity...Calculate what we will or will not tolerate
Desperate to control all and everything
Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen

Saturn ascends....

Wear the grudge like a crown
Desperate to control
Unable to forgive and sinking deeper

Saturn comes back around

Choose to let this go

Let go...let go.....LET GO!!!!

https://youtu.be/IsGI0FsMLYU

Dropped this 1 slot....more like moved another song up another spot....same song that bumped Invincible down one.

What a way to open up Lateralus. This song pulls you in instantly. I think I downloaded the bootleg live version on Napster. Well worth the 3 hour download time. 

Seeing it live made me appreciate the song so much more...seeing Danny beat the drums at 1:15 synchronized with the background lights was amazing. ....and sinking deeper....at 3:45....dammmm

Almost feel like when singing along to this song you are gritting your teeth during most of the vocals.

When I started to see a lot more of their bootleg live shows and seeing MjK off in the background almost as a shadow, i started to get the.... its about the music not the musicians (specifically lead singer) angle that the personified. 

At this point I had been following them for like 6 years and I wasn't sure what they really looked like. Granted, I wasn't really LOOKING but didn't see any interviews, award show appearances,  they weren't on TRL live...the fee interviews i read or heard about....they sure seemed out there or pretentious (or protective?) about their music.

I guess point being, when the spotlight was out for them, they don't seem to care to go stand in it to see and be seen. I know its a business and they as a bad are a company but it does seem like they have really let the music/art they create be more important than the business they're selling.

#8 Prison Sex

Just missed my top 10, but still a great song.  Does anyone else feel like this is a little less Toolish than a lot of their other songs?  It always has had more of a bouncy, happy vibe to me (which is of course in conflict with the lyrics).  This was one of the few Tool songs we would chance putting on in the car with my mom because the profanity was a little more hidden than some of the other tracks.  She actually kind of liked it, but I remember her complaining that there should be one more drum beat at the end  :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread