What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hair cuts at home for yourself, your kids (1 Viewer)

I have a Wahl all in one lithium ion trimmer.  It's a slightly smaller version of the one my barber uses and doesn't have separate guards for each length but it does have an adjustable guard that's pretty good. Used it to trim the sides and back for myself which bought me some time but the top is getting too long.  Did my son's whole haircut with it (trimmed the sides short, chipped into the front so it wouldn't look like a bowl cut, trimmed the sideburns and then finger length on top with zero guard). Looks good enough. 

Tried cutting my son's hair this past weekend.  I figured, I've seen my haircut hundreds of times, how hard can it be?

Holy crap it sucked.

I've been cutting my hair for 20 years and have been the only one to ever cut my boys hair.  You can learn to fade by watching a few videos on Youtube.

If you're going to cut it just to get by right now, then get a cheap set with the plastic guards and forget it. 

If you're looking to do this long term, I'd get Oster Classic and some of the metal blades.  Those cheap plastic blades move and flex too much to give you a consistent cut.

I've been cutting my hair for 20 years and have been the only one to ever cut my boys hair.  You can learn to fade by watching a few videos on Youtube.

If you're going to cut it just to get by right now, then get a cheap set with the plastic guards and forget it. 

If you're looking to do this long term, I'd get Oster Classic and some of the metal blades.  Those cheap plastic blades move and flex too much to give you a consistent cut.
This x100.  Used to deal with scheduling the hair cut, wasting an hour plus to go there and get it cut, plus the $30 or whatever it cost.  Now?  Pop down in the basement, throw down the cloth, mirror on each side, and cut hair.  Setup, cut, and cleanup in less than 15 minutes.  The Oster Classic (76?) has been running strong every 2-3 weeks for 15 years.  Never once calculated, but quick math says an easy $7K saved.  

Only downside is no pretty lady to wash your hair...

i'll be Cousin It before i let some rank amateur within a mile of my coif ... i'm stocked to the gills with Brylcreem and Suavecito - get those "5th grade school pic" clippers out my cotdamn face. 

ymmv 

:coffee:

My son has cut his own hair for several years.  Looks great.  Not sure how he does it.

I'm very close to having to buzz my own.  I can wear a hat to work if I need to.

I’ve been using an Oster Fast Feed with a #1 guard for the past few years. Usually have the Mrs. cut it every 2 weeks, but it’s easy enough to do myself.

I am going full hippie and forgoing haircuts during coronathon.  I have, however, been cutting my son's hair with my beard trimmer and my wife's good hair scissors. I just take a #1 clip around the sides and back, remove the guard for the edges, then wet the top, brush it to one side, and trim it straight with scissors.  Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. 

P.S. he really wants a buzz cut, but mommy will not allow it. 

I am going full hippie and forgoing haircuts during coronathon.  I have, however, been cutting my son's hair with my beard trimmer and my wife's good hair scissors. I just take a #1 clip around the sides and back, remove the guard for the edges, then wet the top, brush it to one side, and trim it straight with scissors.  Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. 

P.S. he really wants a buzz cut, but mommy will not allow it. 
Scissors is the hardest part to learn.  

Only downside is no pretty lady to wash your hair...
80% of the reason I go to get haircuts.  I was currently due when the shutdown happened, so mine is getting pretty long.  Going to grow it out and get a medium/long haircut when it is over to see how that looks.

I have a Wahl all in one lithium ion trimmer.  It's a slightly smaller version of the one my barber uses and doesn't have separate guards for each length but it does have an adjustable guard that's pretty good. Used it to trim the sides and back for myself which bought me some time but the top is getting too long.  Did my son's whole haircut with it (trimmed the sides short, chipped into the front so it wouldn't look like a bowl cut, trimmed the sideburns and then finger length on top with zero guard). Looks good enough. 
So it appears we can add Wahl clippers to the list right behind toilet paper.

Sold out everywhere.  :lmao:

We've got an old corded Wahl set that I use on my beard every few weeks.  Haven't gone topside with it yet, but I've been considering shaving my dome for a while as the hairline has receded the past few years.

Broke down and ordered an Oster Model 10 today. I normally am a 000 or 1 on the back and sides. Will need something longer for the top. The blades are stainless but a bit pricey.

Tried cutting my son's hair this past weekend.  I figured, I've seen my haircut hundreds of times, how hard can it be?

Holy crap it sucked.
Wife and I attempted the same with our toddler with the same results. Ended up shaving the whole thing. Good enough. 

My next door neighbors wife owns a hair salon.   She usually cuts my hair in her home but this time we sat in their garage, we both wore masks and gloves.

What a bunch of conformists.  I have a head full of luxurious hippy hair, and I look fantastic. :hairflip: 

What a bunch of conformists.  I have a head full of luxurious hippy hair, and I look fantastic. :hairflip: 
Hah.  Only reason I thought about it was the Zoom meetings/interviews I have next week.

Just gonna have to go with the 80's feathered hair look.

Wahl dog clippers.  No joke.  Longer chord and twice the power.  And cheaper.  One I have now has lasted 10+ years.  

Still using the same Wahl clippers I bought in college 20+ years ago. Every few weeks give myself a trim.  Only time in those years that I paid for a haircut was before my wedding.  With all daughters I have threatened to use the clippers on their hair if they don't brush it.

Users who are viewing this thread