What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (9 Viewers)

Yeah Melissa has certainly earned it- she’s amazing. Great group of chefs. As for the Detroit style pizza, yes that’s become a huge thing now. We never called it Detroit style here but everything has grown off of 2 places: Shields and Buddy’s. Those two pizza places were the top local spots and the whole country is starting to catch on in the last couple years. 
I never heard it called Detroit style until like 7-8 years ago. Before that it was just round or square. You are half correct- it started at Buddy's then Cloverleaf, then Sheilds and then Louie's and Green Lantern.

Have other parts of the country not had square pizza until Detroit style became a thing?

I never heard it called Detroit style until like 7-8 years ago. Before that it was just round or square. You are half correct- it started at Buddy's then Cloverleaf, then Sheilds and then Louie's and Green Lantern.

Have other parts of the country not had square pizza until Detroit style became a thing?
We have (and had all my life) Sicilian pizza, which is square and thicker than a normal pie.

Still on Team Melissa here.  She's absolutely dominated this season, but I hope winning the last three challenges in a row won't lead to a let-down.  I like all three finalists as people, though, so not rooting against anyone!  As an aside, I love Bryan's laugh; it's so dorky and sincere.  All three are very likable.

There is a new pizza place here that opened a couple of weeks ago, and since pizza is my comfort food, I got one of each type they had tonight for a taste test.  Basically didn't touch the Sicilian (which was fabulous) because the "Detroit style" was so amazing.  Not sure I'd ever had that before, but I guess you know what I'm talking about!  Turned out the owner/pizzamaker learned from, and was part of the team that won world championship with, Tony of Tony's Napoletana in San Francisco, which until tonight was probably the best pizza I'd ever had, including all over Italy.  But now Tony has a rival in his old apprentice...  Anyway, that's a long way of saying I'll be celebrating with reheated pizza, I think.
I'm gonna have to stay clear of the thread for a few days.. I've been watching Top Chef since S1, and now I enjoy with my wife and daughters, but won't be able to catch this until Saturday or Sunday as this weekend...  been a fun season...

We have (and had all my life) Sicilian pizza, which is square and thicker than a normal pie.
Right, rectangular (or square) has always been everywhere.  Detroit style is thinner than Sicilian, though still thick, and it has brick cheese combined with the mozzarella.  The one I had also was twice baked and had the cheese go all the way over the sides, so it was super-super carmelized.

So @krista4 - I was listening to XTC at work today, and while it's not a straight 1:1 comparison, I was picking up vibes here and there in the songs, and it got me thinking about your comment earlier in the draft:  What is it about The Talking Heads that doesn't click with you?

So you or anybody else - what are 5 jazz albums you would start a beginner off with? 

I honestly don't know what albums I have listened to fully.  I think a couple Miles albums, a Dave Brubeck album (evidently enough to recognize it when it came up on a playlist shuffle), I think a Buddy Rich album?, and the Whiplash soundtrack (LOL).  

Again, I don't dislike it when I hear it, I think it's a combo of:

1.  not being in the right headspace

2.  despite saying I am not a lyrics guy, I am for sure usually not an instrumental guy (which probably leads to #1 a bit)

3.  I constantly post about drums in my metal bands and gravitating to bands that have great ones.   Now, when I hear jazz I hear a distinct jazz drumming beat, but nothing that makes my pants tight, and then the rest of the instrumentation is the draw.  

I will add some jazz and classical music as extra credit to my islands as I go if people have similar classical suggestions ( I am SLIGHTLY more versed there). 
well, it starts with Charlie Parker - he's the one who really started turning big band jazz inside out, playing chords as melody & such. he and Dizzy Gillespie. you could waste your time with a lot of records in that regard but, if you get Rhino Records' 3-disc Yardbird Suite, a lot of which are collaborations w Diz, you'll have heard the basis of everything else.

1. Yardbird Suite

2. Ellington at Newport

3. Kind of Blue

4. Thelonious Monk w John Coltrane

5. Moanin;, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

ETA: did i horn in on a lov80s thang? sry -

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, rectangular (or square) has always been everywhere.  Detroit style is thinner than Sicilian, though still thick, and it has brick cheese combined with the mozzarella.  The one I had also was twice baked and had the cheese go all the way over the sides, so it was super-super carmelized.
Yep, all about the caramelization

ok,back to music. I'm ashamed to admit this but have never listened to the Maggott Brain album by Funkadelic :bag:   Not sure who drafted it but decided to give it a spin as Ive seen it metioned in just about all of your drafts. HOLY CRAP have I been missing out!!-- I love this album(10/10) and have listened twice this morning and now plan to move on to the rest of their catalog.

I'm glad I followed and then joined this draft as Ive  listened to a ton of different things I never would have tried on my own. Yes, alot of it I hated but also found alot to like and add to my rotation. 

ok,back to music. I'm ashamed to admit this but have never listened to the Maggott Brain album by Funkadelic :bag:   Not sure who drafted it but decided to give it a spin as Ive seen it metioned in just about all of your drafts. HOLY CRAP have I been missing out!!-- I love this album(10/10) and have listened twice this morning and now plan to move on to the rest of their catalog.

I'm glad I followed and then joined this draft as Ive  listened to a ton of different things I never would have tried on my own. Yes, alot of it I hated but also found alot to like and add to my rotation. 
:headbang:

So @krista4 - I was listening to XTC at work today, and while it's not a straight 1:1 comparison, I was picking up vibes here and there in the songs, and it got me thinking about your comment earlier in the draft:  What is it about The Talking Heads that doesn't click with you?
Interesting.  I’m not sure how to describe something that doesn’t click, which is harder than identifying what does.  There’s nothing I hate about Talking Heads - that would be easier to describe, too.  So I’d have to think about it and listen to them more.

Yeah they're similar to me too. I was going to say the big difference between then might be Talking Heads love of strange song structures but XTC do that too. 

I was surprised Drums n Wires wasn't drafted. 

whoa, i remember bill callahan being drafted, but didn't listen to it.  i just got Diamond Dancer in a random radio type thing that Spotify went into.

Great song.  Need to listen more.

Surprised he finds the time to write all these songs while coaching in the NFL.
I drafted him.  Take a listen!

My favorite Bill Callahan or Smog sing is “The Well,” which is not on the album I drafted.  Check that one out, too.

I've heard two Missing Persons songs on Sirius in the past week and loved both. Any fans here?
this is a great record:

Missing Persons ‎– Spring Session M

Genre: Electronic, Rock;  Style: New Wave, Synth-pop;  Year: 1982

• Tracklist
  • Noticeable One3:22
  • Windows4:59
  • It Ain't None Of Your Business2:55
  • Destination Unknown3:34
  • Walking In L.A.3:59
  • U.S. Drag3:36
  • Tears4:22
  • Here And Now3:26
  • Words4:25
  • Bad Streets3:41
  • Rock And Roll Suspension2:34
  • No Way Out2:45

well, it starts with Charlie Parker - he's the one who really started turning big band jazz inside out, playing chords as melody & such. he and Dizzy Gillespie. you could waste your time with a lot of records in that regard but, if you get Rhino Records' 3-disc Yardbird Suite, a lot of which are collaborations w Diz, you'll have heard the basis of everything else.

1. Yardbird Suite

2. Ellington at Newport

3. Kind of Blue

4. Thelonious Monk w John Coltrane

5. Moanin;, Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

ETA: did i horn in on a lov80s thang? sry -
Not at all. Did you add that edit because of my sad emoji? That was a mis-click. 

Not at all. Did you add that edit because of my sad emoji? That was a mis-click. 
yeah - i changed Sonny Rollins's Saxophone Colossus to Jazz Messengers because there's about 40 albums tied for 5th and Jazz Messengers is the only one where a drummer is the bandleader and i thought KP would like that best but, seeing your emoji, i added the ETA as well

yeah - i changed Sonny Rollins's Saxophone Colossus to Jazz Messengers because there's about 40 albums tied for 5th and Jazz Messengers is the only one where a drummer is the bandleader and i thought KP would like that best but, seeing your emoji, i added the ETA as well
Yeah that’s a really good call. Not too often a drummer gets top billing. Gene Krupa is the one guy I can think of who consistently headlined from behind the kit. 

Yeah that’s a really good call. Not too often a drummer gets top billing. Gene Krupa is the one guy I can think of who consistently headlined from behind the kit. 
yeah, the big-band guys are more show drummers than forces in music and, with the Messengers breaking so many major cats into the limelight...

It’s a high end cooking competition on Bravo. The season finale of an all star season airs tomorrow. 
I am glad this subject came up, so if my wife doesn't stay up long enough to watch tonight I am sure not to click on this thread until after we watch the finale sometime tomorrow.

I am glad this subject came up, so if my wife doesn't stay up long enough to watch tonight I am sure not to click on this thread until after we watch the finale sometime tomorrow.
Yeah my wife and I almost never watch it live- usually during lunch or dinner someday over the weekend. I’m going to try to convince her to watch it live tonight tho. 

yeah, the big-band guys are more show drummers than forces in music and, with the Messengers breaking so many major cats into the limelight...
I wouldn’t discount Krupa’s work on Sing, Sing, Sing and it being one of the earliest cases of highlighting the drums potential as a solo instrument in a jazz band His play on that is still hot as hell today. 

Ilov80s said:
I wouldn’t discount Krupa’s work on Sing, Sing, Sing and it being one of the earliest cases of highlighting the drums potential as a solo instrument in a jazz band His play on that is still hot as hell today. 
i underestimate it no more than your need to have the last word

same here - where do we go to find season 17?  
I'm watching 17 now.  I watched the first episode the other night, and then forgot to watch more. I skipped six episodes, and I'm watching episode 8 now. It comes on at 10 est here regularly. I'm watching the past episodes on entertainment on demand. This show makes me hungry.

I'm watching 17 now.  I watched the first episode the other night, and then forgot to watch more. I skipped six episodes, and I'm watching episode 8 now. It comes on at 10 est here regularly. I'm watching the past episodes on entertainment on demand. This show makes me hungry.
sorry - I meant where on hulu do we look ...since MAC said it was on there

MAC_32 said:
We've been pretty good about Top Chef spoilers during this draft.

I guess we're Team Melissa here since she's the home team.  But Stephanie has been a compelling underdog story and I've eaten at Volt.

I don’t think I’ve watched any Top Chef episodes live this season but am going to try to do so tonight.  We could keep any discussion in spoilers if you guys wish.

Ilov80s said:
Big band drummers are usually buried deep in the mix on 30s and 40s recordings.  You can hear Sonny Greer's cymbals on the old Ellington band records but the toms and bass are almost inaudible.

I suspect that's just a limitation of microphone technology.  Drums were presumably just as loud then as they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread