What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick a Pair/Half Decade Album Draft - Bonus Rounds Thu & Fri - Pick three if you want (2 Viewers)

I just counted and saw there were 25 people in this draft, so getting 25 in the next might be a stretch.  Nonetheless, I'll tag those who were in this one and didn't check in yet on the new draft.  No pressure!  20 in the next one would be fab.

@HellToupee
@higgins
@Sinn Fein
@KarmaPolice
@El Floppo
@Ilov80s
@Northern Voice
@Dr. Octopus
@Doug B
@PIK95
@zamboni
@rcam
Thanks but I need to sit that one out. I’m sure I’ll follow along but I just don’t have the time/energy.

I still need to pick my 12th rounders here - which I’ll do tomorrow.

The newer stuff that most of us old fogies don't think belongs on a greatest-of-all-time list seems to be heavily concentrated at the top and at the bottom. The middle tiers are almost all the usual stuff from the '60s, '70s and '80s. They clearly wanted to grab the attention of the youth, who would either read the top first or the bottom first. 

I was given a great gift this AM. Had plans to do all kinds of yard work and moving of heavy stuff for the in-laws but they cancelled because it’s raining all day. 

I’ve got my Saturday back!
I hate living in the desert for the most part but part of spring and part of fall is just unbelievable weather. Not yet 8am and I've got almost two hours in on the front yard. The sunrise was epic. Just taking a break now. Shaped a fence row of over-grown oleanders. Trying to decide if I want to just haul the mess to the dump or root a bunch of cuttings first. My mexican mow and blow crew will be disappointed I didn't let them do this, but it is so beautiful here this morning...

I hate living in the desert for the most part but part of spring and part of fall is just unbelievable weather. Not yet 8am and I've got almost two hours in on the front yard. The sunrise was epic. Just taking a break now. Shaped a fence row of over-grown oleanders. Trying to decide if I want to just haul the mess to the dump or root a bunch of cuttings first. My mexican mow and blow crew will be disappointed I didn't let them do this, but it is so beautiful here this morning...
Sounds nice. It’s a drizzly cool fall day here in Michigan and it’s beautiful. Windows open, cool breeze flowing through the house, smells of fresh coffee, sausage and a lovely scented candle of clove complimented beautifully with cinnamon and citrus peel. The music of Van Morrison drifting through the house, soon to be replaced by the sounds of college football. 

A little housekeeping & finish up my draft....

Housekeeping -- I had already made picks for round 8/9 but they don't show up in the googlesheet (no worries about that from me, btw)....

Round 8/9 picks

Round 10 -- Sting, for @rockaction

Bring on the Night (r86)

Soul Cages (91)

Round 11 -- John McLaughlin

Live at the Royal Festival Hall (r'89),

Tokyo Live (r'93)

The Heart of Things: Live in Paris (r'98)

Round 12 -- Rush

Signals (82)

Time Machine: Live in Cleveland 2011 (r'11)

R40 Live (r'15)

Chaos Commish said:
Krista is partitioning Rolling Stones' top 500 songs into blocks of 25 in the order they are ranked. We are going to each take one song from each block of 25. So there's strategery in examining blocks. We'll do 20 song blocks if we get 25 drafters. 
Oh, that was my idea :lol: . Cool. Still definitely in. 

Late night and early morning have seen some nice activity in this thread. Still down for the Rolling Stone draft, but haven't looked at songs yet because I don't want to get hopes up or hopes dashed.

My nephew decided to play rec league soccer his seventeenth year on this earth, the last one he is eligible for, so my parents, relatives, and brother all go to his games. As the uncle, I -- ahem -- have to keep at remove, so I don't necessarily make it, but there's usually some sort of food afterwards. His favorite -- and I'd be lying like Nitty from the Untouchables said if I didn't say so, too -- is Denny's in the "bad" section of our soccer/strip mall suburban town. I'm awaiting further instructions from relatives whether today is a Denny's day or not, whereupon I will be drinking 1,100 calorie cake batter shakes and plowing through some hash browns on my way to Moons Over My Hammy if this is the case. 

Yes, this has been brought to you by the fine folks at Denny's™, your greasy spoon chain store for family feedings. ROWL!

This is some really good work. I love When The Pawn... and Extraordinary Machine. MoCS would love this pick. He really loved her as an artist. 
For some reason I thought Tidal was in the 90-94 range which would have allowed to hit every year grouping but I prefer Extraordinary Machine anyway. Also didn’t know MoCS was a fan, that’s an extra nice touch. Have you listened to Fetch the Bolt Cutters? It’s right on par with her best work. She never really misses. The Idler Wheel wasn’t quite my thing but she truly is one of the most consistent artists of the generation. Every 5-8 years she drops a flawless album that’s both different yet unmistakably Fiona Apple. 

For some reason I thought Tidal was in the 90-94 range which would have allowed to hit every year grouping but I prefer Extraordinary Machine anyway. Also didn’t know MoCS was a fan, that’s an extra nice touch. Have you listened to Fetch the Bolt Cutters? It’s right on par with her best work. She never really misses. The Idler Wheel wasn’t quite my thing but she truly is one of the most consistent artists of the generation. Every 5-8 years she drops a flawless album that’s both different yet unmistakably Fiona Apple. 
I remember Tidal as '96, for some reason. I think it came out when I was a senior in college (I would go on to do an illustrious fifth year). Maybe '95 or so. But I could see '94. Too bad. You could have hit them all. 

And how do I say this? Um, I think we disagree just a bit. Fetch The Bolt Cutters reminded me of someone who was a little off-kilter. Let's put it that way. I wasn't a huge fan. It seems like her artistic control led her a bit astray on that. I know critics loved it, but I thought it was the swooning and utterances of a crazy person. That's just me, though. Anyway, MoCS did indeed dig her and talked about it at times, maybe in private to me, actually. 

But cool picks. I love the artist. 

I remember Tidal as '96, for some reason. I think it came out when I was a senior in college (I would go on to do an illustrious fifth year). Maybe '95 or so. But I could see '94. Too bad. You could have hit them all. 

And how do I say this? Um, I think we disagree just a bit. Fetch The Bolt Cutters reminded me of someone who was a little off-kilter. Let's put it that way. I wasn't a huge fan. It seems like her artistic control led her a bit astray on that. I know critics loved it, but I thought it was the swooning and utterances of a crazy person. That's just me, though. Anyway, MoCS did indeed dig her and talked about it at times, maybe in private to me, actually. 

But cool picks. I love the artist. 
I won’t argue about that, she’s always come off as a little crazy. It’s something I enjoy about her honestly. 

Hopefully I’ll jump into your playlist later today after the Michigan game. 

I'll always remember it as '96 because that was the year I got married for the first time. My first wife listened to that about as often as I listened to Fantastic Planet. 

I'll always remember it as '96 because that was the year I got married for the first time. My first wife listened to that about as often as I listened to Fantastic Planet. 
I knew it was somewhere in my middle school to early high school range, thought maybe 94. I definitely remember the girls that were way I to her. Criminal was massive.

Oh, that was my idea :lol: . Cool. Still definitely in. 

In fairness, you mentioned something about a draft, but I refined it to make the partitions, so that we wouldn't just be picking all the top songs first and would in some segments be forced to branch out of our comfort zones. 

That said, if you'd like to run the draft, PLEASE do.  You or Eephus would be much better at it than I would - I don't know how to do spreadsheets or roll dice or do really much of anything.  You wanna take over?  Did I mention PLEASE?  Eephus already did a nice Google doc of all the songs, but I think a spreadsheet will be necessary to show who has taken which segments and what is left in each segment.  Right now we're at 16 people - if we don't have a number that divides cleanly into 500, we can come up with a way to handle.

• krista4
  • rockaction
  • the moops
  • timschochet
  • landrys hat
  • Raging weasel
  • Pip’s Invitation
  • simey
  • Mrs. Rannous
  • Steve Tasker
  • Chaos Commish
  • Eephus
  • Yo Mama
  • Uruk-Hai
  • Ilov80s
  • Northern Voice

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness, you mentioned something about a draft, but I refined it to make the partitions, so that we wouldn't just be picking all the top songs first and would in some segments be forced to branch out of our comfort zones. 

That said, if you'd like to run the draft, PLEASE do.  You or Eephus would be much better at it than I would - I don't know how to do spreadsheets or roll dice or do really much of anything.  You wanna take over?  Did I mention PLEASE?  Eephus already did a nice Google doc of all the songs, but I think a spreadsheet will be necessary to show who has taken which segments and what is left in each segment.  Right now we're at 16 people - if we don't have a number that divides cleanly into 500, we can come up with a way to handle.

• krista4
  • rockaction
  • the moops
  • timschochet
  • landrys hat
  • Raging weasel
  • Pip’s Invitation
  • simey
  • Mrs. Rannous
  • Steve Tasker
  • Chaos Commish
  • Eephus
  • Yo Mama
  • Uruk-Hai
  • Ilov80s
  • Northern Voice
Oh no, krista4. This one's yours. You came up with the logistics for the idea and concretized it into workable form. You put the call out. Yours, bud. That's part of the reason I was so sure I want to participate, honestly. Due respect to my GBs NV and Eephus, but we would welcome a different hand steering it. Any logistics or grunt work you need, I'm on it. 

Oh no, krista4. This one's yours. You came up with the logistics for the idea and concretized it into workable form. You put the call out. Yours, bud. That's part of the reason I was so sure I want to participate, honestly. Due respect to my GBs NV and Eephus, but we would welcome a different hand steering it. Any logistics or grunt work you need, I'm on it. 
This. 

..and not only because I think your way makes it a lot more work to run ☺️

I plotted out an initial strategy while listening to some lectures on lipidology for work. Of course it was based on 20 people and will have to change if we get a different number of people participating. 

OK, OK, I'll do it.  :lol:

I think I could use the spreadsheet Eephus already put together, and I'll put blank rows between each section so it will be easy to follow if we have a weird number.  As people choose, I could strike through the song on the list and put the drafter's name in column E.  The only thing it wouldn't show, though, is a grouping of each drafter's segments taken so far.  We could have a separate spreadsheet for that?  Or we could re-jigger this one to show that?  As I said, I know nearly nothing of spreadsheets, except how to mess them up.

Would you guys like to start next week, or have a cooling off period between drafts?

The only thing it wouldn't show, though, is a grouping of each drafter's segments taken so far.  We could have a separate spreadsheet for that?  Or we could re-jigger this one to show that? 
You could probably put that on a separate tab in the same spreadsheet. How to do that without messing things up, I dunno. 

You could probably put that on a separate tab in the same spreadsheet. How to do that without messing things up, I dunno. 
Maybe some kind person who doesn't mess up spreadsheets could put that tab in there.  I'm fine to do all the updating once someone else sets up the sheet.  :)  

Maybe some kind person who doesn't mess up spreadsheets could put that tab in there.  I'm fine to do all the updating once someone else sets up the sheet.  :)  
I said I was your Huckleberry, but I do not know how to manipulate sheets. Sorry for that. Eephus or NV would know better than I. If somebody teaches a man to fish, however, eating for a lifetime is something to think about. I'll gladly be a student if someone wants to tutor. 

And anytime you want to start, I'm in. There need be no cooling off period for me. It's all about the playlists for this one, as far as I'm concerned. 

OK, OK, I'll do it.  :lol:

I think I could use the spreadsheet Eephus already put together, and I'll put blank rows between each section so it will be easy to follow if we have a weird number.  As people choose, I could strike through the song on the list and put the drafter's name in column E.  The only thing it wouldn't show, though, is a grouping of each drafter's segments taken so far.  We could have a separate spreadsheet for that?  Or we could re-jigger this one to show that?  As I said, I know nearly nothing of spreadsheets, except how to mess them up.

Would you guys like to start next week, or have a cooling off period between drafts?
I feel like some spreadsheet magic can make this pretty easy. I'll take a look in a bit. 

I said I was your Huckleberry, but I do not know how to manipulate sheets. Sorry for that. Eephus or NV would know better than I. If somebody teaches a man to fish, however, eating for a lifetime is something to think about. I'll gladly be a student if someone wants to tutor. 
I have never really been taught either but I have solid enough base knowledge that with enough trial and error I can usually get it to where I want it. 

Users who are viewing this thread