What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Middle Aged Dummies!! Artists #1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

Listening to the Modest Mouse playlist. The cumulative effect is:

They tried to replicate the White Light/White Heat album but got REALLY stoned.

I did a lot of pondering about prog and what works and what doesn't for me last night thanks to @Yo Mama 's Genesis playlist. I mean, I did have 4 1/2 hours to think. ;)

As I said when Rush was being talked about, I joke about bands and prog but it comes from a place of love. It's also a genre I have a love/hate relationship with. As for the love, just look at my metal leans - Tool, Opeth, and as we will see soon - Mastodon. What I came up with is that it's a VERY delicate balance of: voice, length of songs, style of music, and amount of "noodling around". Of course that last one is solely in my head, but it's probably by far the most important along with voice. I like structure to my songs and I can't do higher pitched vocals. That explains my strong dislike for Dream Theater (voice) and most jam bands (lack of structure). As the bands push the time threshold noodling around is when I check out. 90% of the time there is a 3-4min segment of a song I love, but the rest I really don't and it's not worth the 15min+ journey to get that 3 mins of music.

Anyway, Genesis finally. :lol: Mostly, I loved the playlist. The above ramble was to set the backdrop for that. Genesis doesn't get overly windy for the genre, or at least your playlist didn't. When I was thinking, I came up with 10mins for my prog cutoff. If you are going beyond that, I better be fully on board with everything up to that point. Genesis hits that 6-8min sweet spot most of the time. I joked about it, but I did play the list as you put it in by album. I found my love for the playlist grew as I listened. I liked the later stuff a bit more, and have Abacab and Genesis added to my album homework. I listened to Invisible Touch this morning as I typed this, and that was a great blast from the past. Of the early stuff, Watcher of the Skies was the favorite of mine from the albums not mentioned. I ended up listening to that one a few times. I also really loved Squonk and The Cinema Show.

In another of the bigger surprises of the playlist, I loved a lot more Simon & Garfunkel than expected when I read the roster of artists and what @zamboni landed on. I'm probably just mad at them for making April Come She Will less than 2mins. Seriously, WTF? Such a gorgeous song that is too short. I guess that goes for most of the songs on this 90 min to the point playlist. Great morning coffee on the back deck playlist. Again, broken record, but what surprised me was the variety of sounds. Not sure why I never put them with Homeward Bound. I loved all of the top 4. Another early stand out was Baby Driver. I also loved the back to back combo of Kathy's Song and Patterns. Patters and Baby Driver my favorite knew to mes of the playlist. Somewhere They Can't Find Me and You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies were two more stand outs for me. I don't tend to like psychedelic or folk music that I would associate with hippies dancing in a field of flowers, so thank you for breaking that mental association for me that Simon and Garfunkel were largely that. Great musical start to the day.

In another of the bigger surprises of the playlist, I loved a lot more Simon & Garfunkel than expected when I read the roster of artists and what @zamboni landed on. I'm probably just mad at them for making April Come She Will less than 2mins. Seriously, WTF? Such a gorgeous song that is too short. I guess that goes for most of the songs on this 90 min to the point playlist. Great morning coffee on the back deck playlist. Again, broken record, but what surprised me was the variety of sounds. Not sure why I never put them with Homeward Bound. I loved all of the top 4. Another early stand out was Baby Driver. I also loved the back to back combo of Kathy's Song and Patterns. Patters and Baby Driver my favorite knew to mes of the playlist. Somewhere They Can't Find Me and You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies were two more stand outs for me. I don't tend to like psychedelic or folk music that I would associate with hippies dancing in a field of flowers, so thank you for breaking that mental association for me that Simon and Garfunkel were largely that. Great musical start to the day.
Glad you liked the list, KP. I also learned a lot about their versatility when I was exploring (or re-exploring) their deeper cuts. I agree that some of their tunes leave you longing for a bit more, but they weren't into meandering - rather straight and to the point. I guess better to leave listeners hanging than bore them.

I did a lot of pondering about prog and what works and what doesn't for me last night thanks to @Yo Mama 's Genesis playlist. I mean, I did have 4 1/2 hours to think. ;)

As I said when Rush was being talked about, I joke about bands and prog but it comes from a place of love. It's also a genre I have a love/hate relationship with. As for the love, just look at my metal leans - Tool, Opeth, and as we will see soon - Mastodon. What I came up with is that it's a VERY delicate balance of: voice, length of songs, style of music, and amount of "noodling around". Of course that last one is solely in my head, but it's probably by far the most important along with voice. I like structure to my songs and I can't do higher pitched vocals. That explains my strong dislike for Dream Theater (voice) and most jam bands (lack of structure). As the bands push the time threshold noodling around is when I check out. 90% of the time there is a 3-4min segment of a song I love, but the rest I really don't and it's not worth the 15min+ journey to get that 3 mins of music.

Anyway, Genesis finally. :lol: Mostly, I loved the playlist. The above ramble was to set the backdrop for that. Genesis doesn't get overly windy for the genre, or at least your playlist didn't. When I was thinking, I came up with 10mins for my prog cutoff. If you are going beyond that, I better be fully on board with everything up to that point. Genesis hits that 6-8min sweet spot most of the time. I joked about it, but I did play the list as you put it in by album. I found my love for the playlist grew as I listened. I liked the later stuff a bit more, and have Abacab and Genesis added to my album homework. I listened to Invisible Touch this morning as I typed this, and that was a great blast from the past. Of the early stuff, Watcher of the Skies was the favorite of mine from the albums not mentioned. I ended up listening to that one a few times. I also really loved Squonk and The Cinema Show.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. I’ve listened to the albums so many times it’s hard for me to hear to the songs by themselves. That’s why I put my playlist in album order so I get that flow I’m used to.

In another of the bigger surprises of the playlist, I loved a lot more Simon & Garfunkel than expected when I read the roster of artists and what @zamboni landed on. I'm probably just mad at them for making April Come She Will less than 2mins. Seriously, WTF? Such a gorgeous song that is too short. I guess that goes for most of the songs on this 90 min to the point playlist.
We're lucky to get as much of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as we got. Art insisted on it needing that last verse. Best thing he ever did.

Dove into Spoon playlist today. This is a band I’ve always like what I heard, and explored a little (rotated two albums into my listening) - but never dove in the way I should.
This playlist is so good - they just may be the best rock band working today.

I listened to the Phish playlist the other day while riding my bike. I didn't make it through the whole thing but heard enough for Spotify to recommend more Phish-adjacent artists to listen to.

I appreciated the variety and musicianship; the rhythm section is very tight. The songs on the other hand are a little looser than I generally prefer. I'll usually just opt for Jazz if I want a jam but that's me. Nevertheless, It was good to get out of my comfort zone a little. Thanks @shuke for putting the playlist together.

I woke up to that awful pun sitting unposted at the bottom of the thread, clearly I was thinking better of it, what the hell is wrong with me?

How about Sporks, is that a thing?

I’ve been gone most of the day, we’ve been at the swim club.

1. Soundgarden
2. Screaming Trees
3. Love Battery
4. Nirvana
5. Truly (not on Spotify 😥)
I think we've talked about them before but I'm also a big Truly fan. Fast Stories.....from Kid Coma is an underrated gem of an album. Very unfortunate it's not on Spotify. I have a copy of the CD from a ways back.

I went to high school with Robert Roth. He was an interesting kid.
I think Fast Stories is one of the best albums of the '90s, regardless of genre. It's the perfect fusion of grunge, prog and stoner rock.

I can't say I'm surprised that Roth was "interesting".
Truly’s Fast Stories…From Kid Coma is now on Spotify.

I dont have much in terms of writeups for Sia songs until probably number 1 which I did reserve for my personal favorite despite this being a chronological list. We're about to begin her album "This is Acting" which are all songs she wrote for other artists that ended up not being recorded. This includes songs that were written with Katy Perry, Alicia Keys, and Adele in mind.

Doing a chronological list for Sia made a ton of sense due to how she transitions throughout her career, but I definitely miss the building excitement of the writeups when you get to the top 10 and they are all your personal favorite songs.

I dont have much in terms of writeups for Sia songs until probably number 1 which I did reserve for my personal favorite despite this being a chronological list. We're about to begin her album "This is Acting" which are all songs she wrote for other artists that ended up not being recorded. This includes songs that were written with Katy Perry, Alicia Keys, and Adele in mind.

Doing a chronological list for Sia made a ton of sense due to how she transitions throughout her career, but I definitely miss the building excitement of the writeups when you get to the top 10 and they are all your personal favorite songs.

You're not too far off, but I think you're in the wrong thread. Though you do mention #1s, so who knows?

You're not too far off, but I think you're in the wrong thread. Though you do mention #1s, so who knows?

Dammit, thanks. Posting before coffee = this.

I'm sure the Spotify year-end wraps are being discussed in the current thread, but my 2023 results seemed more fitting for this thread:

1. The Tragically Hip
2. Jorge Ben Jor
3. ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
4. Bauhaus
5. Chicago

:lmao:
Bauhaus was #3 on mine. I had no idea I listened to them that much during this thread, but I did find them oddly fascinating, and my curiosity of their "uniqueness" led me to seek out other stuff by them. My most listened to artist/band was my main man Ray Charles, and my most listened to song was his version of "A Song For You." I listened to it 202 times this year. It was my morning kickoff song for a good while, and I would have sing-a-thons with it on road trips where I'd go back and listen to it again...and again...and again. My most recent morning kickoff song is "One Tree Hill," which started on November 14th.

New year, another new album for Ryan Adams.

1985 is another one of his Punk projects with 29 songs racing by in just under 35 minutes. Some of them are barely ideas much less songs. At their best, they sound like the first half of a Husker Du tune; at their worst, they make you think about how long 45 seconds can seem.

I spoke too soon. Adams actually has FIVE new albums out today.

The second I listened to is called Sword & Stone and is pretty good. it's structured more traditionally with twelve songs over 35 minutes. It mostly electric with a sound that's reminiscent of albums like Love Is Hell. "Manhattan in the Rain" is the best new song I've heard this year lol.

Album #3 is called Prisoners (Live).

This one is a live solo acoustic remake of his 2017 album Prisoner. His catalog kind of runs together but I recall Prisoner as being one of his stronger recent releases although none of the songs made @Dr. Octopus list.

I'm going to come back to this one and listen to the two remaining albums with new material. Adams is pulling out to an early lead in my 2024 Spotify Unwrapped.

The Umlauts

Well-played.

I wasn't trying to correct or one-up you, by the way. I generally use the umlauts because I know the keyboard shortcut, so why not? I was making fun of Hüsker.

My favorite song name over the past ten years might be "Wrestle Yü to Hüsker Dü" by the Dirty Nil, which is a pretty damn good song.

I spoke too soon. Adams actually has FIVE new albums out today.

The second I listened to is called Sword & Stone and is pretty good. it's structured more traditionally with twelve songs over 35 minutes. It mostly electric with a sound that's reminiscent of albums like Love Is Hell. "Manhattan in the Rain" is the best new song I've heard this year lol.

I listened to this one and liked it. It’s tough to keep up with him.

Bauhaus was #3 on mine

Where, O where is otb_lifer?
Dunno. I think you said about a month ago that he was still making transactions and setting his lineup during Summerpalooza, so there is evidence of life. Maybe he will appear near Derby time in his annual horsey thread. 🏇
He still hasn’t posted since September 14, so he’s staying away from the board, whether by his choice of that of Joe/FBG Moderator.

New year, another new album for Ryan Adams.

1985 is another one of his Punk projects with 29 songs racing by in just under 35 minutes. Some of them are barely ideas much less songs. At their best, they sound like the first half of a Husker Du tune; at their worst, they make you think about how long 45 seconds can seem.

Some albums you listen to once, and never again. This is one of those albums.

Listened to this one today, as well. It has potential, but I think Ryan needs to learn that “too much” is a real concept.

Bauhaus was #3 on mine

Dunno. I think you said about a month ago that he was still making transactions and setting his lineup during Summerpalooza, so there is evidence of life. Maybe he will appear near Derby time in his annual horsey thread. 🏇
He still hasn’t posted since September 14, so he’s staying away from the board, whether by his choice of that of Joe/FBG Moderator.

Last I knew, he was stepping away for a bit by choice. Hope he'll be back.

Bauhaus was #3 on mine

Last I knew, he was stepping away for a bit by choice. Hope he'll be back.
That's too bad - otb is good people. And just when I finally figured out how to understand his posts.

Listened to this one today, as well. It has potential, but I think Ryan needs to learn that “too much” is a real concept.

On first listen, I liked Star Sign better than the other two. This album seemed more fully fleshed out, at least in terms of instrumentation with more keyboards than most of Adams' records. I also like that it's structured as an album rather than a frontloaded exercise in gaming the algorithm. I thought the three songs that closed the album were very strong with "I Lost My Place" as the best of his many recent apology songs.

On first listen, I liked Star Sign better than the other two. This album seemed more fully fleshed out, at least in terms of instrumentation with more keyboards than most of Adams' records. I also like that it's structured as an album rather than a frontloaded exercise in gaming the algorithm. I thought the three songs that closed the album were very strong with "I Lost My Place" as the best of his many recent apology songs.
This and Sword and Stone were good on first listen. 85 and Heatwave were a little rough.

Haven’t listened to the live one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread