What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (4 Viewers)

If you draft a song, you get exclusive rights to its original B-side. 
I like the rules except this one, which I assume might not be serious anyway but I'll treat it as such for this post.  :)    Way too hard to monitor and track who has what.  There are some bands that had double-As or A-Bs where people would want the other side.  I cant tell you I'm not going to check what the B-side is of every song anyone drafts to make sure I'm not doubling up.  Hell, I wouldn't even bother to do that for my own picks.

Lastly, I accidentally drugged my cat, Cole, a couple days ago. He had a hot spot on him, so I was going to give him half a zyrtec to help with the itching. I had a half of one on a shelf, but there was also half of a xanax up there too. I wasn't wearing my glasses and accidentally gave him the xanax. I realized what I had done when I noticed he was walking wobbly about an hour 1/2 later. It seemed like he was coming off anesthesia. I went to the shelf to see if the xanax was there, and it wasn't, but the half a zyrtec was. 😮. He seemed to enjoy the trip, but I still felt bad about it. I figured he would be ok since I had a cat in the past that was prescribed valium once after a surgery. 
A doped up cat is way more coordinated than me on my best day.

I like the rules except this one, which I assume might not be serious anyway but I'll treat it as such for this post.  :)    Way too hard to monitor and track who has what.  There are some bands that had double-As or A-Bs where people would want the other side.  I cant tell you I'm not going to check what the B-side is of every song anyone drafts to make sure I'm not doubling up.  Hell, I wouldn't even bother to do that for my own picks.
You have to declare the B-side when you make the pick and both songs go off the board.  I don't think it'll have a huge impact but it'll be fun to highlight some of the great double hit singles of the past.

More Beatles for you, just saying.

You have to declare the B-side when you make the pick and both songs go off the board.  I don't think it'll have a huge impact but it'll be fun to highlight some of the great double hit singles of the past.

More Beatles for you, just saying.
Bleh, don't like this at all.  But you're in charge!  

50 songs

One song per year from the beginning of recorded music to the current year.  If you don't know 21st Century music, you can opt for 1950-1999.   Date ranges do not have to be contiguous.

No doubling up on years EXCEPT we'll roll dice at round 25 to allow between three and seven tokens which may be used to draft a second song from any year.

Themes optional.  Your jukebox can be located in a bar or your basement.  You can create as much backstory for your venue as you like.

No restrictions on artists or songs drafted previously

No song over six minutes in length since the jukebox plays 7 inch singles.  I know Hey Jude was over seven minutes but a 45 rpm record loses fidelity when you go over six minutes.

This sounds awesome

B sides means our jukeboxes are 45s (7 inch singles). If we draft a 45, nobody else should have any dibs on the b-side, because that 45 is taken.

B sides means our jukeboxes are 45s (7 inch singles). If we draft a 45, nobody else should have any dibs on the b-side, because that 45 is taken.
I'm assuming they don't have to have been singles?  I would be taking a lot of stuff that was never a single.  And before whatever year, that wouldn't even be possible anyway.

I'm assuming they don't have to have been singles?  I would be taking a lot of stuff that was never a single.  And before whatever year, that wouldn't even be possible anyway.
You can pick hits, deep cuts, personal favorites, whatever you like.

I can only carry this jukebox so far.

The  b-side thing is what made me think of the singles. Last time we just drafted songs to put on our jukebox that consisted of one song per year over a 50 year span.

The  b-side thing is what made me think of the singles. Last time we just drafted songs to put on our jukebox that consisted of one song per year over a 50 year span.
I'm curious to see how many B-sides would get drafted.  I don't plan on hunting for them but a good B-side would definitely sway me if I was stuck between a couple of songs.

50 songs

One song per year from the beginning of recorded music to the current year.  If you don't know 21st Century music, you can opt for 1950-1999.   Date ranges do not have to be contiguous.

No doubling up on years EXCEPT we'll roll dice at round 25 to allow between three and seven tokens which may be used to draft a second song from any year.

Themes optional.  Your jukebox can be located in a bar or your basement.  You can create as much backstory for your venue as you like.

No song over six minutes in length since the jukebox plays 7 inch singles.  I know Hey Jude was over seven minutes but a 45 rpm record loses fidelity when you go over six minutes.

sign me up

Howdy. Been released from the virtual gulag.

Not sure how long I will stick around. I think after 15 years or so I am gonna call it quits for good. 

But I have so many friends here, both virtual and IRL, that it's hard to do.
That was me after yoga pants.  I only check in for baseball or music drafts now mostly. 

Not sure how long I will stick around. I think after 15 years or so I am gonna call it quits for good. 

What exactly did you say/do?

I've got half a foot out the door as well. 

Eephus said:
50 songs

I'm in. Just text/pm me when we are starting.

you can throw my name in the hat as well, I did this exercise with a 3cd mix for my 50th a few years ago so I have the bones of a starter pack

I'm in.  Did something similar with two of my buddies when the last of us turned 50.  Started in the year of our births (1969) and texted a song a day for the 50 days previous the last person's birthday. 

Was fun.

Thanks Pik for bumping the original jukebox thread. 

I skimmed a few pages to see if the two picks at a time rule was a good thing or not.  It kept things moving but looked like it sucked when people fell behind.  I have nowhere to go so it'll only be one pick a round this time.

Is this a thing everywhere?  The other site I have frequented for twenty years is starting to shed people who are fed up with the numbnuts who litter the place.  A bunch decamped to something called Discord.

Is this a thing everywhere?  The other site I have frequented for twenty years is starting to shed people who are fed up with the numbnuts who litter the place.  A bunch decamped to something called Discord.
Visting the PSF took on a "please suspend me" vibe about the time the pinned thread of "YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE SUSPENDED" was the catch-all phrase there and was started by a moderator and approved by Joe. With that in mind, what else does one expect when one goes there with that as the tagline? I love my brothers, but surprised about suspension? No, not at all. Not my own, especially. 

Really, what the PSF is, and Joe has tacitly admitted this, is a way to keep toxic politics out of the other forums. The FFA was the way to do it with the Shark Pool, which is heavily moderated for any non-football talk, and once the FFA had toxic politics enter it daily, the PSF was a way of siphoning it off. When the owner of the place hates a forum, one would be advised against going there to visit or comment. 

That's an observation and not a judgment. Poor NV broke a rule that they'd settled on a year ago deep in the threads and understanding of the place. I know because I've read it. You can't just visit there anymore and comment and not expect to be suspended for what seems like innocuous stuff. Again, GB NV, and what he did was so tame, but that is a serious rule there and they thought he was tripping on it. In reality, he had no clue that was a steadfast rule. So it sucks.

Long story short: Stick around the FFA fellas, forget the politics. You're never convincing certain people of the righteousness of your position and you'll be missed where it's important, to those to whom you're important. You're fighting with almost bots over there, and that goes to BOF SIDEZ.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you clue me in, please?  I have no idea what this could be.  I wouldn't want to unintentionally offend a valued member.
He said this: The answer is no but people think so little of Trump/expectations and standards for him and his supporters are so low, it doesn't matter. 

It had been determined about a year ago that you couldn't lump all of Trump supporters in with each other, nor could you ascribe a supporter his failings.

I'm not defending the rule, but that's the rule that cuts for both parties' sides.

Ridiculous? You're free to judge. I'm a political guy who almost never visits the PSF anymore due to its tone, tenor, and contributors, so there's probably something to be said for evidence of thinking so on my end.  

Also, considering that I consider NV simpatico and also an iFriend, this has a huge don't shoot the messenger caveat to it.

He was also fairly spot-on about my politics and delivery in here, too, and I appreciated that greatly while on suspension.

I live on Discord these days.  It's everything we could want.  Chat, memes, and organization.  I'm a mod (I think) in a Disco Biscuits one and also in a Dead/Jamband one.  It's great to chat with friends as we watch live shows.  We did periscopes back in 2015 and it morphed into Discord.

Could you clue me in, please?  I have no idea what this could be.  I wouldn't want to unintentionally offend a valued member.
He said this: The answer is no but people think so little of Trump/expectations and standards for him and his supporters are so low, it doesn't matter. 
It was in response to a question about whether there would ever be apologies for using terms like "kung flu", "bad hombres', all the other slurs/bigoted comments. Supporting people/a person who says that stuff is fine. Saying the expectations of people who continue to support the use of those terms are low is a :lmao: 6 week :lmao:  ban.

--

Anyway, back to the music draft.

After the 50/50 gin experiment, the wife and I are moving on to tequila cocktails this evening.  

:banned:

So do I need to start doing research for a draft, or what??

Users who are viewing this thread