What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What happens if Pence or Trump get COVID-19? (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
At this point it’s a very distinct possibility one or both have been exposed.

Would we even be told?

What would the ramifications be?

ETA: I should’ve added the news some may not have seen that makes this more relevant than ever:

Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, wife of Stephen Miller tested positive.

11 Secret Service Agents tested positive 

Ivanka’s personal assistant tested positive

Last edited by a moderator:
C. Why in the hell were they not wearing masks during all those briefings?
Because that would be sending a message that this needs to be taken seriously.

Think anyone in the admin will start wearing masks now?

I doubt it. My guess is they’ve been told they are not allowed.

I highly doubt we’d be told unless he got a bad case and ended up in the hospital.

It’s pretty astonishing how no one in this administration seems to care enough to wear a mask. There’s even an image going around showing Miller talking to the press the day before she tested positive. In the image she’s literally the only one not wearing a mask. They’re putting people at higher risk and they don’t give a damn because they’re afraid it’ll scare people away from their open up the economy plan.

The ironic thing is that there are people like myself who are fine with opening up things again but think masks should be required. They’re just making it impossible to side with them because they don’t have a plan to reopen other than recommending that people social distance and wear masks which isn’t enough as we’ve clearly seen already.

Wow, awesome thread.  :ph34r:
Considering recent news, I thought it was pretty relevant. I've certainly never experienced a President of VP going through something like this. I don't think anyone else has either.

You of course are free not to read it if it offends you for some reason.

Seems to me like it would be a much bigger deal for Trump than Pence, at least statistically.  Pence is 13 years younger and is considerably healthier.  Nothing is for sure obviously, but I’d expect Pence would be OK eventually if he got it.  Trump might not fare as well.

I've been hearing a lot of people asking this question outside of this forum... is there a reason why people think they're going to get it?  Just not wearing masks enough?

I've been hearing a lot of people asking this question outside of this forum... is there a reason why people think they're going to get it?  Just not wearing masks enough?
They’re older people who are more susceptible to getting it, not wearing masks and multiple people with ties to the administration have tested positive over the past couple of days.

If either of them get infected, they'll get round-the-clock care from the best doctors in the nation, and they'll recover without issue.

Ahhh, I probably should’ve mentioned the news. I’ll edit after this.

Pence’s press secretary tested positive.

Ivankas personal assistant tested positive

Woodrow Wilson had a stroke and his Vice President wasn’t told. Instead for about 4 months Wilson’s wife became the effective President. 

Pelosi would be in charge.
Not if they just get it...but yeah if incapacitated to the point they both cede power (and they won’t).

As for the overall question...Id guess the markets would dip and people will freak out.  They have pretty darn good doctors so of his health is what he claims Trump should be fine.  His age and weight would be a concern.  
Pence seems in pretty good shape though and not aware of any conditions he would have to complicate him recovering.

But if they got very ill that would be extremely bad.  I dont like them much at all and disagree  politically with just about everything they stand for...but don't wish that on them or anyone.

It's really quite strange to see so many users make assumptions about the OP's intent. Sad that their first thought is negative.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: if Trump becomes ill to the point where he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, then he can temporarily transfer power to Pence as per the 25th Amendment to the Constitution. link

There's no verbiage in the Constitution which deals with an incapacitated VP.

Trump Met With GOP Lawmakers For An Hour. Nobody Wore A Mask Or Stayed Apart.

Granted, the article says that everyone was tested before they were allowed in, but why can’t they practice such basic health measures like social distancing and wearing masks? I mean someone in the administration just tested positive yesterday and in the early stages of COVID, it’s possible that it wouldn’t show up positive on a test.
Is this true?  Asking from a position of ignorance. 

Is this true?  Asking from a position of ignorance. 
Yes, it’s mentioned in the article and cited by the CDC. Here’s the exact wording from the CDC below: 

”If you test negative for COVID-19, you probably were not infected at the time your sample was collected. However, that does not mean you will not get sick. It is possible that you were very early in your infection when your sample was collected and that you could test positive later.”

Trump Met With GOP Lawmakers For An Hour. Nobody Wore A Mask Or Stayed Apart.

Granted, the article says that everyone was tested before they were allowed in, but why can’t they practice such basic health measures like social distancing and wearing masks? I mean someone in the administration just tested positive yesterday and in the early stages of COVID, it’s possible that it wouldn’t show up positive on a test.
I’ve read a couple articles on this over the past few days. Apparently the White House staff is tested daily with the rapid response tests, as are any WH visitors or people who interact with Trump or Pence when they venture out (like Trump going to the Honeywell plant in AZ). I don’t know which tests they’re using — I would assume they have access to the best ones available — but I have heard that the rapid-response tests have high rates of false negatives. 

Woodrow Wilson had a stroke and his Vice President wasn’t told. Instead for about 4 months Wilson’s wife became the effective President. 
I heard about this. Wasn't he sequestered away in his bedroom and his wife wouldn't allow anyone to talk to him. Instead she relayed decisions from an incapacitated Wilson. 

I don't wish illness on anyone.  But, Pelosi getting into 1600 because of this might be the best thing that ever happened to the internet.  

UK went through this last month when Boris Johnson tested positive and then went to the ICU. I seem to recall there was a day or two when it wasn’t clear who was running the government. 

A. I doubt we would be told

B. If it did leak I think the economy tanks even more

C. Why in the hell were they not wearing masks during all those briefings?
IIRC When masks were becoming a point to debate (which is weird) Trump said he didn’t think he should wear one because he didn’t like the way it looked to the country. 

Anyway, to answer the OP's question: if Trump becomes ill to the point where he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, then he can temporarily transfer power to Pence as per the 25th Amendment to the Constitution. link

There's no verbiage in the Constitution which deals with an incapacitated VP.
So...if Trump gets COVID and then temporarily transfers power to Pence...but then Pence gets COVID...and they both go on a ventilator........who would be in charge?

I am more worried about Biden getting COVID at 78 as it will probably kill him and we are screwed.
Why?  Has he been possibly exposed to as many people as Trump?  Is he high risk besides age (Trump in that same risk because of age and more with weight?).

Ramifications of a candidate vs POTUS and VPOTUS.

Yeah, I’m worried  more about the actual administration 

So...if Trump gets COVID and then temporarily transfers power to Pence...but then Pence gets COVID...and they both go on a ventilator........who would be in charge?
Just FYI, best practices have shifted pretty dramatically at hospitals over the past month or so and patients are only going on ventilators as a last resort. My 79 y.o. father was admitted to the hospital on April 7 and ultimately discharged after 10 days in the ICU. He never went on a ventilator, but his pulmonologist told us if he had come in a week earlier he probably would have been. 

Point being, the odds of both Trump and Pence not only testing positive but experiencing such severe symptoms that they both become incapacitated at the same time are vanishingly slim 

I am more worried about Biden getting COVID at 78 as it will probably kill him and we are screwed.
7?...8?... what I mean is that the fact of the matter is 87 is the um, where is lunch?  

Not sure even the covid could save him from his dismantling of the metoo movement while not being able to comprehend what is happening to himself. 

At this point it’s a very distinct possibility one or both have been exposed.

Would we even be told?

What would the ramifications be?

ETA: I should’ve added the news some may not have seen that makes this more relevant than ever:

Pence’s press secretary Katie Miller, wife of Stephen Miller tested positive.

Ivanka’s personal assistant tested positive
80%+ of normal healthy people experience mild or no symptoms. You're betting against the come. And you forgot "oh please, pretty please"    

Users who are viewing this thread