What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tucker Carlson Has Highest-Rated Program In Cable News History (3 Viewers)

You may want to watch the whole thing instead of an 11 second clip.
I did. What part of it adds the needed context to understand him saying we shouldn't be surprised that 17 year olds with rifles feel the need to take control of our streets? 

I did. What part of it adds the needed context to understand him saying we shouldn't be surprised that 17 year olds with rifles feel the need to take control of our streets? 
The part where he says our leaders have basically let our streets turn into a Mad Max movie and because of that the idiocy/disgusting behavior of last night was bound to happen.  That part.

The part where he says our leaders have basically let our streets turn into a Mad Max movie and because of that the idiocy/disgusting behavior of last night was bound to happen.  That part.
Oh yeah, when I see protests and riots and rebellions, I always think, "uh-oh here come the teens with rifles to set things straight". 

Oh yeah, when I see protests and riots and rebellions, I always think, "uh-oh here come the teens with rifles to set things straight". 
No...you see anarchy...and whether it is lawyers throwing molotov cocktails or 17 year olds with a rifle idiocy is going to happen...pretty simple formula...riots without legal ramifications + no police presence + idiots= incidents that are horrific...I do not know how we can be surprised by any type of behavior in these situations...our leaders are allowing anarchy and we should not be surprised when anarchy happens. 

Why, does he get more racist than that? Because I didn't think that was possible.
Please point out the racism.
It's the Lee Atwater School Of Racial Division.

Up until the early 1950s, you could get away with open racism, including the N-word.

But by the late '60s, you could no longer be overt with your racism, because you'd lose more voters (or more viewers, in Carlson's case) than you'd gain. So you cloak the racism with code words and phrases, such as "states rights" or "forced busing" or "subsidized housing". Or "maintain order".

By the 1980s, those phrases were well-known dog whistles, to the point where most savvy Republicans had stopped using them. So, the new catch phrases were more abstract things like "tax cuts" or "school vouchers" -- ideas which had widespread appeal, but also had the added effect of hurting African Americans more than it hurt white people.

Carlson is using phrases straight out of the White Grievance Playbook, just as Trump did when he told suburban housewives that a black man would lead an invasion into their neighborhoods if he wasn't re-elected.

To put it another way: how many times has Tucker Carlson used the phrase "decided that they had to maintain order" when talking about black-on-white murder?

No...you see anarchy...and whether it is lawyers throwing molotov cocktails or 17 year olds with a rifle idiocy is going to happen...pretty simple formula...riots without legal ramifications + no police presence + idiots= incidents that are horrific...I do not know how we can be surprised by any type of behavior in these situations...our leaders are allowing anarchy and we should not be surprised when anarchy happens. 
I am still shocked. I expected clashes between police and protesters, I didn't expect teenagers to organize a militia.

Does Carlson take the same POV with the protests. Has he said anything like,  "when cops are killing more than 1 citizen a day and shooting 12 year old boys in parks and men in the back 7 times we can't be surprised that their is violent outrage in our communities?" 

I am still shocked. I expected clashes between police and protesters, I didn't expect teenagers to organize a militia.

Does Carlson take the same POV with the protests. Has he said anything like,  "when cops are killing more than 1 citizen a day and shooting 12 year old boys in parks and men in the back 7 times we can't be surprised that their is violent outrage in our communities?" 
I would prefer we stay on topic...If you watch this 32 minute clip about the guy getting kicked in the head in Portland you should not be surprised by anything...it is beyond creepy that this took place in one of our cities...it is anarchy in our streets and our leaders have allowed idiots who could care less about police brutality or equality to run rampant with zero ramifications...this **** has nothing to do with George Floyd or any legit cause anymore...I don't know how anyone can be surprised by what happened last night, disgusted/horrified, definitely...but not surprised.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-attack-witness-police-videos

If you watch this 32 minute clip about the guy getting kicked in the head in Portland you should not be surprised by anything.
Do you think it would be fair to say that the person doing the kicking felt like he had to maintain order?

Do you think it would be fair to say that the person doing the kicking felt like he had to maintain order?
No, just like Carlson said that is what you get when leaders allow anarchy...mobs attacking individuals and delusional 17 year olds taking matters into their own hands. 

No, just like Carlson said that is what you get when leaders allow anarchy...mobs attacking individuals and delusional 17 year olds taking matters into their own hands. 
Leaders aren't so much allowing anarchy... THE Leader is stoking it. 

And Carlson is doing it right alongside him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, is the Portland kicking suspect part of the "mob attacking individuals" category, or part of the "delusional who takes matters into their own hands" category?

Wait, is the Portland kicking suspect part of the "mob attacking individuals" category, or part of the "delusional who takes matters into their own hands" category?
The answer is C...all of the above...due to this he has made the first team All-Anarchy team...he's a very talented young man. 

You said: “He’s dangerous needs to be taken off the air.” 

I said: “An interesting take in a thread titled,  Tucker Carlson Has Highest-Rated Program In Cable News History“.

In a free country, how could you possibly believe that someone with the highest rated program in cable news history should be taken off the air?  

Up until the early 1950s, you could get away with open racism, including the N-word.

But by the late '60s, you could no longer be overt with your racism, because you'd lose more voters (or more viewers, in Carlson's case) than you'd gain. So you cloak the racism with code words and phrases, such as "states rights" or "forced busing" or "subsidized housing". Or "maintain order".

By the 1980s, those phrases were well-known dog whistles, to the point where most savvy Republicans had stopped using them. So, the new catch phrases were more abstract things like "tax cuts" or "school vouchers" -- ideas which had widespread appeal, but also had the added effect of hurting African Americans more than it hurt white people.

Carlson is using phrases straight out of the White Grievance Playbook, just as Trump did when he told suburban housewives that a black man would lead an invasion into their neighborhoods if he wasn't re-elected.

To put it another way: how many times has Tucker Carlson used the phrase "decided that they had to maintain order" when talking about black-on-white murder?
"tax cuts" is a racist dog whistle?  🤣

"tax cuts" is a racist dog whistle?  🤣
No. By the 1980s, it was no longer feasible to use racist dog whistle language to court racist voters (or racist viewers). So, the language had to get more abstract. You can use phrases like "tax cuts" to appeal to racists and non-racists alike, as racist people will see it as something that that hurts blacks more than it hurts whites.

Are you going to justify Bill Cosby next?
Is that your go-to line anytime your original point  is proven weak?
It's probably the first time I've ever said that line. :shrug:

You are the one who questioned whether an entertainer with high ratings should be pulled from the air. My instinctive counterpoint to that was Bill Cosby, but feel free to insert any other deplorable human being with high ratings who should have been pulled from the air.

You said: “He’s dangerous needs to be taken off the air.” 

I said: “An interesting take in a thread titled,  Tucker Carlson Has Highest-Rated Program In Cable News History“.

In a free country, how could you possibly believe that someone with the highest rated program in cable news history should be taken off the air?  
Huh?

No. By the 1980s, it was no longer feasible to use racist dog whistle language to court racist voters (or racist viewers). So, the language had to get more abstract. You can use phrases like "tax cuts" to appeal to racists and non-racists alike, as racist people will see it as something that that hurts blacks more than it hurts whites.
lol, I think you are giving racists wayyy too much credit or they sure as hell are a lot more devious that i ever imagined.  I guess that's also my way of saying you are full of ####.

lol, I think you are giving racists wayyy too much credit or they sure as hell are a lot more devious that i ever imagined.  I guess that's also my way of saying you are full of ####.
This isn't my theory. It's Republican party strategy.

You are the one who questioned whether an entertainer with high ratings should be pulled from the air. My instinctive counterpoint to that was Bill Cosby, but feel free to insert any other deplorable human being with high ratings who should have been pulled from the air.
Nice try. I never once questioned whether anyone should be taken off the air. In fact, in response to someone else who suggested Tucker Carlson should be “taken off the air” I suggested simply changing the channel.

You’re likening Bill Cosby, a convicted serial rapist, to Tucker Carlson, a guy exercising his freedom of speech. Does that sound rational to you?

Prediction for what he says on tomorrow's show: "Look at the libs with their heads exploding because they misunderstood what I meant!"

(followed by a boilerplate rant about liberals, the media, and the liberal media......followed by more dog whistling. Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Whoof that’s awful. I’m pro-liberty. I’m also in favor of responsibility in public broadcasting. There’s lots of stuff not on network, basic or even PPV cable for a reason.
So Carlson's op-ed program should be subject to government sanction because the airwaves are somehow public. My opinion is a) they shouldn't be public and b) we ought to be really careful about what we determine is past the line in terms of opinion

If you want to give the right credence by censoring shows at the federal level, then you're following a much more dangerous path in curtailing liberty than the current President even dreams of. C'mon. That's ridiculous to suggest taking him off the air as part of gov't sanction.

Carlson may have high ratings but his advertising revenue is dismal, which is how the score is kept. MyPillow, gold coin brokers, Hurrycane, and ads for other FOX shows make up the vast majority of his commercial breaks.

Carlson has higher ratings than O'Reilly did, but he makes about a third of what O'Reilly earned. 

Carlson may have high ratings but his advertising revenue is dismal, which is how the score is kept. MyPillow, gold coin brokers, Hurrycane, and ads for other FOX shows make up the vast majority of his commercial breaks.

Carlson has higher ratings than O'Reilly did, but he makes about a third of what O'Reilly earned. 
It's possible that you are underestimating the number of people in this country who sold their gold and bought a Hurrycane and several MyPillows.

So Carlson's op-ed program should be subject to government sanction because the airwaves are somehow public. My opinion is a) they shouldn't be public and b) we ought to be really careful about what we determine is past the line in terms of opinion
Sure be careful but there still has to be  a line drawn 

Good point. So let’s think about why a show with record setting ratings, and a massive viewing audience, would have poor advertising revenue. Seems like a show to which advertisers would be drawn. Unfortunately, it’s an opportunity they’re compelled to miss in fear of their brand being cancelled by the ever powerful, and increasingly intolerant, liberal social media mob.

What other reason could there be? Unless, of course, you honestly  believe that despite Carlson’s massive audience, most advertisers just happen to be politically and morally opposed to his views, and feel so strongly about it that they’ll forego such a prime advertising opportunity. Though, if that’s the case, how can we explain those same advertisers happily being part of O’Reilly’s show, which shared the most of the same views as Carlson’s show?

Whoof that’s awful. I’m pro-liberty. I’m also in favor of responsibility in public broadcasting. There’s lots of stuff not on network, basic or even PPV cable for a reason.
What’s awful is supporting selective censorship of those with whom you personally disagree.

I can’t stand Don Lemon, and I believe some of the things he says incite hate and divisiveness, but I’d never suggest he be taken off the air. I simply change the channel.

What’s awful is supporting selective censorship of those with whom you personally disagree.

I can’t stand Don Lemon, and I believe some of the things he says incite hate and divisiveness, but I’d never suggest he be taken off the air. I simply change the channel.
Show me a quote from Don Lemon that is similar. 

Users who are viewing this thread