What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colleges and COVID-19 (1 Viewer)

Thx - 

Ive heard some colleges are starting earlier than usual and ending by Thxgiving - anyone else have that?  
Yes - The Ohio State is doing that. 

I should add that OSU still hasn't made in known what exactly is the plan with classes, but they are letting anyone opt of living in the dorm that wants to - at least for sophomores. They have also said, if you live within 30 miles of campus, you will become a commuter and not live in the dorm. Also, as a sophomore, they won't guarantee housing. So, my son opted out and We signed an apartment lease yesterday as we are stuck. If there are in person classes, (which is kind of a big if), you need a place to live, BUT there is a chance that there will not  be in person classes s he could have stayed home for a semester and saved on living expenses. Meanwhile, the university doesn't have any good information about when to expect to know what classes or online or not. Pretty frustrating all the way around. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive talked to my son about staying the course online this year and entering a 5 yr masters program with some of the $ saved from housing - that way he'll hopefully get a full 4 yrs on campus and another degree
This has definitely been rattling around in the back of my head as a way to give my son four years on campus.

I have a question you may be able to educate me on, Ivan- What is the push I keep seeing for Thanksgiving to be a cutoff date for classes, for the most part? Is there a magic bullet to that timing or is it simply they don't want all the traveling and then bringing it back, etc? I can kind of see a few scenarios panning out but thought i would ask.  thanks. 
I think it is 100% about outside contact and coming back. It’s smart IMHO to limit the students and employees for that matter. Come on campus after testing and then try to keep it in a bubble. Deal with hopefully limited cases and then kids are home for a stretch. If there is any case, hopefully there’s enough time to get over it and test negative before spring semester and then do the same to get to summer. Hopefully, there’s nothing to worry about 2021 fall.

Honestly, considering the ages, students should be OK. Faculty and employees may just have to be smarter about their activities. Is the death % chance any greater for 18-22 years than normal stuff, especially if you do continue testing and setup at least some smart social distancing, masks and sanitizer? I’d have to think that the risks older people are taking going to their jobs is much more than college students, especially if things like bars are closed.

I really can’t wait until this is behind us.

Ive talked to my son about staying the course online this year and entering a 5 yr masters program with some of the $ saved from housing - that way he'll hopefully get a full 4 yrs on campus and another degree
That sounds better than just plain deferring. It sucks, but I know my son couldn’t handle sitting around at home for a year. He’s absolutely going to do as much of the college experience as he can even if he’s working from his apartment. Luckily, it’s a decent sized complex (separate small houses) on a lake so he actually won a raffle to cover half of his rent so I’m paying less than I would. It’s a year lease so you lose a little of the savings but he’s got a place next summer as well if he wants to stay.

I think it is 100% about outside contact and coming back. It’s smart IMHO to limit the students and employees for that matter. Come on campus after testing and then try to keep it in a bubble. Deal with hopefully limited cases and then kids are home for a stretch. If there is any case, hopefully there’s enough time to get over it and test negative before spring semester and then do the same to get to summer. Hopefully, there’s nothing to worry about 2021 fall.

Honestly, considering the ages, students should be OK. Faculty and employees may just have to be smarter about their activities. Is the death % chance any greater for 18-22 years than normal stuff, especially if you do continue testing and setup at least some smart social distancing, masks and sanitizer? I’d have to think that the risks older people are taking going to their jobs is much more than college students, especially if things like bars are closed.

I really can’t wait until this is behind us.
Thank you for the reply.  I have a family member I just asked of their schedule and interesting enough they are doing the 8 week blocks but are still keeping some aspects after Thanksgiving (labs and clinical).  Probably not perfect but helps I suppose. 

When I think of this I don't necessarily think about the students getting sick, I think more of them bringing the virus back from the holiday, infecting older staff that are more at risk, their communities at large, etc.

Thank you for the reply.  I have a family member I just asked of their schedule and interesting enough they are doing the 8 week blocks but are still keeping some aspects after Thanksgiving (labs and clinical).  Probably not perfect but helps I suppose. 

When I think of this I don't necessarily think about the students getting sick, I think more of them bringing the virus back from the holiday, infecting older staff that are more at risk, their communities at large, etc.
Agreed, but maybe this could help herd immunity with all the young folks together in one place away from their parents. It should be easy to keep staff at risk safe. Really easy. Older professor, do class online. Most staff wouldn’t need to interact, just faculty.

Just thinking about it, but a young kids petri dish pretty secluded seems like it could be better than having them go out to bars and hang out with friends locally around their families in much closer contact than college staff.

Shutout said:
I have a question you may be able to educate me on, Ivan- What is the push I keep seeing for Thanksgiving to be a cutoff date for classes, for the most part? Is there a magic bullet to that timing or is it simply they don't want all the traveling and then bringing it back, etc? 
It's both.  A guess that covid will get worse as we head into flu season in late November, and also a way to avoid having everyone go home and come back en mass.

Angry Beavers said:
Yes - The Ohio State is doing that. 

I should add that OSU still hasn't made in known what exactly is the plan with classes, but they are letting anyone opt of living in the dorm that wants to - at least for sophomores. They have also said, if you live within 30 miles of campus, you will become a commuter and not live in the dorm. Also, as a sophomore, they won't guarantee housing. So, my son opted out and We signed an apartment lease yesterday as we are stuck. If there are in person classes, (which is kind of a big if), you need a place to live, BUT there is a chance that there will not  be in person classes s he could have stayed home for a semester and saved on living expenses. Meanwhile, the university doesn't have any good information about when to expect to know what classes or online or not. Pretty frustrating all the way around. 
I get the frustration, but I also get why a school isn't making such a plan available. They may already have a plan - they may not. But even if they do circumstances beyond their control between now and the start of school could change that plan in a moment's notice. Gov't orders will influence what a given school can do and those orders are not necessarily known right now. So the school not releasing this information yet may be as simple as chaos management. There will be chaos regardless between now and then, and beyond. Only so much a school can manage and effectively communicate though. I'd be surprised if there's not an internal deadline when to distribute that particular plan, but the school is hoping gov't orders clarify whether their plan will work before that time.  

Macro speaking, patience and flexibility from all parties will be crucial to manage this school year.

Found out today officially that all of my son’s classes will be on-line. If by some chance he is offered a spot in campus housing it will simply be a really expensive place for him to take online classes from his room. 

I get the frustration, but I also get why a school isn't making such a plan available. They may already have a plan - they may not. But even if they do circumstances beyond their control between now and the start of school could change that plan in a moment's notice. Gov't orders will influence what a given school can do and those orders are not necessarily known right now. So the school not releasing this information yet may be as simple as chaos management. There will be chaos regardless between now and then, and beyond. Only so much a school can manage and effectively communicate though. I'd be surprised if there's not an internal deadline when to distribute that particular plan, but the school is hoping gov't orders clarify whether their plan will work before that time.  

Macro speaking, patience and flexibility from all parties will be crucial to manage this school year.
I get that - I guess I would be in favor of something along the lines of " Here is what we want to do and assuming that things are "OK" what we plan on doing. Obviously, we can not predict the future and all of this is subject to change at a moment's notice. "  At least that way students could make some somewhat informed decisions as opposed to just guessing as to what the school is thinking and hoping for the best. 

Found out today officially that all of my son’s classes will officially be on-line. If by some chance he is offered a spot in campus housing it will simply be a really expensive place for him to take online classes from his room. 
Where is this? I am hopeful that an off campus apartment doesn't turn into a place to hang out with buddies and take classes online but I am growing more pessimistic by the day. 

NM - saw USC from your earlier post. 

I get that - I guess I would be in favor of something along the lines of " Here is what we want to do and assuming that things are "OK" what we plan on doing. Obviously, we can not predict the future and all of this is subject to change at a moment's notice. "  At least that way students could make some somewhat informed decisions as opposed to just guessing as to what the school is thinking and hoping for the best. 
Totally understand. And that's what we're doing, but we're also MUCH smaller than OSU. Communications are substantially different when you're dealing with an enrollment of 2,000 vs. 60some thousand. I'd guess the longer the wait the more likely the school is trying for as much in-person as possible, but it's still just that - a guess. 

stbugs said:
I'd have a real hard time deferring. The situation sucks and my oldest is going to live there regardless (he’s got an apartment with friends). He’ll be a sophomore and hopefully he’ll at least have his lab courses on campus.

If someone defers what are they going to do for a year? It’s not like there’s great jobs for young kids and they’ll just be a year behind getting a full time job, etc. If there was a good alternative for the year, sure, but hanging out at home for a year sounds worse.
If you weren't already going somewhere, you could probably knock some classes out more cheaply. Just seems hard to stomach paying full tuition for a virtual experience. As BB noted though, maybe they are preventing that.

Meh, I wouldn't want my university's endowment put toward fringe sports teams, and neither would most donors.  

Edit: Obviously, if there is a donor out there who really wants to underwrite men's volleyball, then hey go nuts.
And now that they've been cut those donors can come to the rescue and save a particular program - that's what happened with my alma mater's baseball program earlier this year.

And now that they've been cut those donors can come to the rescue and save a particular program - that's what happened with my alma mater's baseball program earlier this year.
To me baseball is a "core" sport that shouldn't go but if your team sucks, so be it. Men's & women's lightweight rowing? GTFO

Through rugby some cash before that nonsense.

My son got an email from UF today. They're going ahead with in person classes, hybrid classes and online classes combo.  Two of his 3 classes he needs to graduate (Sports Journalism) got switched to online and the third is hybrid.

My older daughter is in law school at USC and so far they're planning for in person classes.  I'll be surprised if that stands, though.  

My younger daughter is due to start her junior year at a very small school in the middle-of-nowhere Minnesota so we're hopeful they will be able to be in person but they have yet to make a formal announcement.
Not that it matters, but just how small is 'very small' and where is 'middle of nowhere'. We talking like Crown College small, Carleton College middle of nowhere, or like UMN Morris small and middle of nowhere? 

Not that it matters, but just how small is 'very small' and where is 'middle of nowhere'. We talking like Crown College small, Carleton College middle of nowhere, or like UMN Morris small and middle of nowhere? 
She's at Carleton College.  I think the student body is 1700-ish.

She just got the word today that they will be back on campus with many of the same provisions that have been mentioned in this thread.  She was very happy to get that news.

She's at Carleton College.  I think the student body is 1700-ish.

She just got the word today that they will be back on campus with many of the same provisions that have been mentioned in this thread.  She was very happy to get that news.
Nice. Lots of good memories visiting friends at Carleton and St Olaf down in Northfield. Generally pretty small class sizes, so hopefully they can do the social distancing and such and she can still have a great year. 

Interesting twist here in SC, Columbia and Charleston are seeing surges just as schools are getting ready to open in August. Seems like a swell idea to send thousands of students into a hotspot from all over the country all at once no?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/south-carolinas-coronavirus-outbreak-is-worse-than-most-countries
Part of me is relieved that my son's college decided to go remote.....yes he'll lose at least a semester and likely a full yr of being on campus but I just dont see how opening colleges wont lead to massive infections.....

thousands of kids....packed in like sardines in dorms....sharing rooms/bathrooms/common areas....going to parties...getting loaded....sounds like a disaster in making.....really hope im wrong....

Part of me is relieved that my son's college decided to go remote.....yes he'll lose at least a semester and likely a full yr of being on campus but I just dont see how opening colleges wont lead to massive infections.....

thousands of kids....packed in like sardines in dorms....sharing rooms/bathrooms/common areas....going to parties...getting loaded....sounds like a disaster in making.....really hope im wrong....
No you're right and that's where I'm at. I just don't see how you responsibly do this given the environment right now. Makes no sense and I don't care how prepared you are, you won't stop it or even keep it contained. You'll be there a week, maybe two tops before you have to shut it all down again.

No you're right and that's where I'm at. I just don't see how you responsibly do this given the environment right now. Makes no sense and I don't care how prepared you are, you won't stop it or even keep it contained. You'll be there a week, maybe two tops before you have to shut it all down again.
I’m actually thinking the opposite in some ways. I know Clemson has already said that kids will have to be tested in the 5 days before so maybe it’ll be less of a petri dish and more of a secluded from parents/family. That age group should handle symptoms way better and with all the medical facilities at most major universities, maybe they can keep quarantines better.

I could be wrong but I feel like having my son on campus with hopefully no outside contact could work.

Also, my son is going back regardless. He’s got an apartment/house with friends and most non-incoming freshmen had to setup their off campus housing leases already. It’s not like there won’t already be a large portion of students already there even if remote.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I do actually think they could make it work and if some kids do get infected that it could better be contained by having them not being at home with more at risk people around them. If your kids are at risk them you keep them home.

Don't understand how anyone that cares about their child throws them on campus this semester. Even if colleges are greedy enough to do so.
That’s a pretty silly statement. Are your kids in a bubble at home? If you have college age kids and they aren’t working this summer or around their friends (almost all have driver’s licenses), then they are exposed. Are you having drinks with friends or have you not gone out at all?

I’m not concerned about my son getting infected as he should weather it fine. I’m actually more concerned that he could give it to me because I’m in a much more at risk age group. Being selfish, it would be better for me if he did get it while away from school than at home.

I cringe when I see statements like this trying to shame people like they are trying to get their kids killed or something. How often do you drive your kids around? You really should always leave them at home or you aren’t a good parent who cares about them.

That’s a pretty silly statement. Are your kids in a bubble at home? If you have college age kids and they aren’t working this summer or around their friends (almost all have driver’s licenses), then they are exposed. Are you having drinks with friends or have you not gone out at all?

I’m not concerned about my son getting infected as he should weather it fine. I’m actually more concerned that he could give it to me because I’m in a much more at risk age group. Being selfish, it would be better for me if he did get it while away from school than at home.

I cringe when I see statements like this trying to shame people like they are trying to get their kids killed or something. How often do you drive your kids around? You really should always leave them at home or you aren’t a good parent who cares about them.
i agree with not shaming parents for sending their kids - it's a tough decision and most in my town are sending their kids......I am relieved I didnt have to make the decision and I certainly dont judge anyone that sends their kids - I may have sent  if it was an option......Im just nervous looking at how it could go with the small dorms/parties/dining, etc....

Not trying to shame you. 

I'm telling you you are a irresponsible parent throwing them on campus at this time.

It's silly people are actually thinking it'll work.

I’m actually thinking the opposite in some ways. I know Clemson has already said that kids will have to be tested in the 5 days before so maybe it’ll be less of a petri dish and more of a secluded from parents/family. That age group should handle symptoms way better and with all the medical facilities at most major universities, maybe they can keep quarantines better.

I could be wrong but I feel like having my son on campus with hopefully no outside contact could work.

Also, my son is going back regardless. He’s got an apartment/house with friends and most non-incoming freshmen had to setup their off campus housing leases already. It’s not like there won’t already be a large portion of students already there even if remote.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I do actually think they could make it work and if some kids do get infected that it could better be contained by having them not being at home with more at risk people around them. If your kids are at risk them you keep them home.
If you're talking about Clemson, they have a shot. The whole town is pretty much the college. USC is smack in the middle of Columbia which is already turning into a hotspot.

Edit to add, mine has already signed a lease for off campus as well. All but one of her classes went to online and I expect that one will at some point soon. If so, I'm hoping she can get out of the lease and just live here. Knowing leases a bit I think that's a pipe dream and she desperately wants to get back on campus so she'll probably just have a high priced room to go online from for the next semester.

If you're talking about Clemson, they have a shot. The whole town is pretty much the college. USC is smack in the middle of Columbia which is already turning into a hotspot.
Absolutely true. Seclusion at Clemson is a plus. Cancel parents weekend and all visitors and if you test well, it should actually be straightforward on how to contain it. Cancel any breaks so that kids are home at Thanksgiving. Heck, I’d even say that sports (aka football) can only be played in front of students already on campus or employees who are again already on campus. Any professors who are at risk are remote learning. Any big full lectures are remote learning. Small and medium sized classes use the next size up to try and keep distancing. Wear masks in any building. Close campus bars. Continue testing and use the Clemson apps for contact tracing.

Not trying to shame you. 

I'm telling you you are a irresponsible parent throwing them on campus at this time.

It's silly people are actually thinking it'll work.
And I think you could easily be wrong. Did you answer any of my questions on the current risks you are taking now? A college campus that’s not in the middle of a city has a really good chance of being secluded enough that if everyone is tested before coming on campus then it may actually be safer than your home are where everyone is not tested.

If you aren’t taking every single precaution and you have interacted or you’re letting your kids interact with people who you don’t know if they are CV free then you are being very hypocritical.

Experiment will be a complete shlt show. 

i agree with not shaming parents for sending their kids - it's a tough decision and most in my town are sending their kids......I am relieved I didnt have to make the decision and I certainly dont judge anyone that sends their kids - I may have sent  if it was an option......Im just nervous looking at how it could go with the small dorms/parties/dining, etc....
I’m nervous as well and my son has been very responsible. He’s still gone over to friend’s houses and we’ve let him have friends over here. No one leaves without a 100% sober ride if they drink at all (most times they don’t) just in case I get called out on that.

That said, most college age kids aren’t as responsible as him so it’s highly unlikely that they’d hang out any safer at home. Again, it makes me feel better to a degree that he’d be hanging out with kids who at least got tested the week before going on campus. If the safeguards are in place, it could actually be safer than here. Clemson does have a seclusion advantage if you keep visiting to 0.

Just read a story this morning of a summer school  teacher passing from COVID recently. Really just sad on so many levels.

https://people.com/health/arizona-teacher-dies-of-coronavirus-warning-against-school-reopenings/
What does this have to do with school re-openings? It’s sad, but it’s one person and from the article her entire family had it. From the article it seems as many as 10 people in her family have it 

She then gave it to other teachers but the school officials try to state that they all wore gloves, masks and sanitizer. Sounds like a CYA to me.

It also says her lungs were already compromised so she’d be the last person who should be in any environment with other people.

If her situation, clearly in contact with a lot of people and clearly her family wasn’t being safe, is the poster child loft not going back to school then it’s a really bad example. Her family was clearly not being safe or worried about her situation and then she was still working in close quarters with students and other teachers? Sorry, but she’d be on my remote learning or no teaching list immediately.

This is a very complicated situation and there are no good decisions here, so I would refrain from making any categorical statements regarding whatever decisions parents and their college age kids are making. For one thing, these kids are adults and definitely should have some say in the decision making process. For our son, his school is smack in the middle of LA County, which is a major hotspot at the moment. All of our son’s classes are on line, and his school is strongly encouraging kids to stay home in the fall. The three potential options on the table are as follows:

A) Living in the Dorms - His school has reduced density by making every room single occupancy. They are giving priority to upper classmen and those in particular groups (international students, athletes, named scholarship recipients), which means there is almost no chance our son will be offered housing (but there’s still a chance - we’ll find out for sure July 20.). The rules that are being put into place for students in campus dorms (outlined above in this thread) are brutal, but at least stand a chance at keeping the kids safe. On the other hand, the rules set these kids up for an extremely isolated existence, particularly for freshmen who don’t already have a college social circle.

B) Living Off Campus - There are numerous apartments near campus that have openings as numerous students are trying to get out of their leases since they’re staying at home. However, hundreds of students staying in off campus apartments with virtually no rules is not the least bit appealing from a safety standpoint. For the most part, you have to expect that kids will be kids, and without any university supervision things like mask wearing and social distancing will be occasional at best for most of this population, which will no doubt be partying it up as best as they can. Also, those who are living off campus and taking classes remotely will have extremely limited access to campus.  So it’s not like he’ll be able to use the facilities or anything. We’d basically be paying a ton of money just for him to be adjacent to campus.

C) Living at Home - This is clearly the cheapest option, and also the safest option in terms of limiting his exposure to hundreds of other kids. This option also sucks balls.

After much discussion, we haven’t yet reached a definitive decision, other than Option B is definitely off the table. Since it is unlikely that he will be offered space in the form, Option C is the likely result. In order to help make a crappy situation slightly less crappy, we have agreed to redesign his bedroom so it’s more like a college apartment. That’s brightened things a bit. 

What does this have to do with school re-openings?
Teacher safety is certainly one of the factors that schools (from pre-school to university) should be taking into account as they plan their school reopening strategies. But I agree that anecdotal situations should not necessarily drive decision making (assuming that was your point).  But I know a lot of teachers are legitimately concerned by what may be happening in the fall (particularly in classrooms where you have younger children who simply can’t be expected to wear masks). I do think colleges have more ability to enforce safety rules, but they may not have adequate classroom space. 

Just read a story this morning of a summer school  teacher passing from COVID recently. Really just sad on so many levels.

https://people.com/health/arizona-teacher-dies-of-coronavirus-warning-against-school-reopenings/
:cry:

No students were in the classroom either. They were using the classroom to remotely teach young children. It's the reality of the situation of many schools and colleges (teachers/aides having to share classrooms over the course of a day)

Colleges may not care about the well being of your child/teachers/community but it's sad grown adults/parents care so little. "Oh they're young, they'll be fine".  Saddens me one would even say something like that. But I guess that's the selfish society we live in.

Teacher safety is certainly one of the factors that schools (from pre-school to university) should be taking into account as they plan their school reopening strategies. But I agree that anecdotal situations should not necessarily drive decision making (assuming that was your point).  But I know a lot of teachers are legitimately concerned by what may be happening in the fall (particularly in classrooms where you have younger children who simply can’t be expected to wear masks). I do think colleges have more ability to enforce safety rules, but they may not have adequate classroom space. 
Agree completely and faculty at risk, which was clearly the case here is a candidate for online classes. I do think that some have to be online. Clearly there also was a lack of testing and social distancing in this case when basically the whole family has it and didn’t do what it needed to do to protect an at risk family member. This teacher wasn’t asymptomatic since she passed so she may have felt the need to go into work and infect two more teachers.

I just think it’s too bad that going back to school in a smart way is now another political issue. The header of this article mentions Trump’s education secretary wanting to go back to school so the whole slant of the article is to use this example as a why we shouldn’t. They might as well have ended it “think about the children” when they don’t appear to have been involved at all.

:cry:

No students were in the classroom either. They were using the classroom to remotely teach young children. It's the reality of the situation of many schools and colleges (teachers/aides having to share classrooms over the course of a day)

Colleges may not care about the well being of your child/teachers/community but it's sad grown adults/parents care so little. "Oh they're young, they'll be fine".  Saddens me one would even say something like that. But I guess that's the selfish society we live in.
So basically this was a work situation and no different than if they worked at a restaurant. We might as well shut down every business and hope people know how to farm. I’ve been safe so far and feel uncomfortable in some situations but I also don’t want my sons to not go to school because of a case like this where the teacher was clearly infected and probably symptomatic since her entire family had it.

Amazing that you can just blanket people who want their kids to go back to school safely as people who might as well by marching them into a lion’s cage. Sad when people can’t even discuss opinions or try to come up with solutions. This world is completed on or off, no dimmers allowed even if it could work.

This is a very complicated situation and there are no good decisions here, so I would refrain from making any categorical statements regarding whatever decisions parents and their college age kids are making. For one thing, these kids are adults and definitely should have some say in the decision making process. For our son, his school is smack in the middle of LA County, which is a major hotspot at the moment. All of our son’s classes are on line, and his school is strongly encouraging kids to stay home in the fall. The three potential options on the table are as follows:

A) Living in the Dorms - His school has reduced density by making every room single occupancy. They are giving priority to upper classmen and those in particular groups (international students, athletes, named scholarship recipients), which means there is almost no chance our son will be offered housing (but there’s still a chance - we’ll find out for sure July 20.). The rules that are being put into place for students in campus dorms (outlined above in this thread) are brutal, but at least stand a chance at keeping the kids safe. On the other hand, the rules set these kids up for an extremely isolated existence, particularly for freshmen who don’t already have a college social circle.

B) Living Off Campus - There are numerous apartments near campus that have openings as numerous students are trying to get out of their leases since they’re staying at home. However, hundreds of students staying in off campus apartments with virtually no rules is not the least bit appealing from a safety standpoint. For the most part, you have to expect that kids will be kids, and without any university supervision things like mask wearing and social distancing will be occasional at best for most of this population, which will no doubt be partying it up as best as they can. Also, those who are living off campus and taking classes remotely will have extremely limited access to campus.  So it’s not like he’ll be able to use the facilities or anything. We’d basically be paying a ton of money just for him to be adjacent to campus.

C) Living at Home - This is clearly the cheapest option, and also the safest option in terms of limiting his exposure to hundreds of other kids. This option also sucks balls.

After much discussion, we haven’t yet reached a definitive decision, other than Option B is definitely off the table. Since it is unlikely that he will be offered space in the form, Option C is the likely result. In order to help make a crappy situation slightly less crappy, we have agreed to redesign his bedroom so it’s more like a college apartment. That’s brightened things a bit. 
USC is tough because as you mentioned it’s right in the middle of Los Angeles. How do you keep it a closed environment? You can’t.

College aged kids can drive, already hang out with friends and probably about half already have leases for off campus housing. There’s going to already be a lot there to start. 

My daughter, also in a La County school, has chosen option B, but she and 3 friends are finding a house far from campus. They’re looking for a 4 bedroom house somewhere warm where they can live and do online school together. It’s definitely not a college campus experience, but it beats living at home. Since school is online, they can live anywhere, so they are looking for a large house with amenities (swimming pool, barbecue, etc.), but in a location that’s a lot cheaper than LA County  

My daughter, also in a La County school, has chosen option B, but she and 3 friends are finding a house far from campus. They’re looking for a 4 bedroom house somewhere warm where they can live and do online school together. It’s definitely not a college campus experience, but it beats living at home. Since school is online, they can live anywhere, so they are looking for a large house with amenities (swimming pool, barbecue, etc.), but in a location that’s a lot cheaper than LA County  
I'm guessing your daughter isn't a freshman?  I would think doing something like this would be a lot easier to coordinate if you already had a group of friends from school that you were planning to live with.  Also, from a cost standpoint, I'm not sure how I would feel paying all that money for my kid to take classes online and not even have access to the campus, when he could accomplish the same thing from home for free.  But who am I kidding, if it were a viable option and my son really wanted to do it, I'd probably get talked into it.

Users who are viewing this thread