What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Subscriber Contest is LIVE (5 Viewers)

Never seriously considering Ridley (instead of AJ Brown) and not keeping Akins (even though Eifert hasn't been a disaster) are my two big regrets.  Woulda freed up another $4 and I coulda done another cheap receiver or maybe uprgraded a mid-level RB.

-QG
The guy I most regret at the moment is Tarik Cohen.  12 rushes and 3 targets in the first 2 games?  Those numbers are supposed to be reversed!

Based on how well the NY O-Line blocked for Barkley this year, I wouldn't get too excited to be a Freeman owner there.
Considering he went from a grocery bagger to an NFL RB overnight, I'd say any playing time is something to get excited about.

Considering he went from a grocery bagger to an NFL RB overnight, I'd say any playing time is something to get excited about.
always funny when there is a guy (usually a kick who gets dropped and then resurrected a couple times).

Or the luck of the draw with the trading of a guy and having him get no bye (or on the downside two byes)

-QG

Just having fun, coming up with a cheap team that would've advanced.  Cutoff was 124.95

QB - Ryan Fitzpatrick - $4 = 29.60
RB1 - Dion Lewis - $3 = 13.60
RB2 - Frank Gore - $3 = 6.30
WR1 - TreQuan Smith - $3 = 13.60
WR2 - Zach Pascal - $3 = 10.90
TE - Jordan Reed - $3 = 27.50
Flex1 - Jordan Akins - $3 = 16.00
Flex2 - Kendrick Bourne - $3 = 10.70
K - Stephen Gostkowski - $2 = 13.00
D - NYG - $2 = 8.00

Managed to score 148.9 using $29
I have 6 of those guys! 

Even had Lewis/Reed on a few early versions based on upside if the guy in front of them went down but they didn't make my final roster.

.... but Rivers is a major disappointment ...
Really? For an $8 player I am pretty happy with his 19+ppg from my QB#3. 

With the Mack injury I think there's definitely a non-zero chance he blows up fantasy wise at least. If Taylor gets nicked up at all that team will pass a ton.

BoltBacker said:

With the Mack injury I think there's definitely a non-zero chance he blows up fantasy wise at least. If Taylor gets nicked up at all that team will pass a ton.
Well, he was a "bargain value" at $8 as my QB3, but I guess I was looking at how I could have spent his $8 on other assets.  

BoltBacker said:

I hate to say it, but under 20 points from a QB in this contest is sucky.  Here are the only other QB's that have played both games and scored less:

$12 - Mayfield
$8 - Cousins
$7 - Darnold
$5 - Haskins
$4 - Fitzpatrick

Rivers scoring 16 points this week was like Frank Gore scoring 6.3 points.  Sure, they both scored twice as much as they cost, but if you had to use their scores, you probably weren't atop the leader board.

I hate to say it, but under 20 points from a QB in this contest is sucky.  Here are the only other QB's that have played both games and scored less:

$12 - Mayfield
$8 - Cousins
$7 - Darnold
$5 - Haskins
$4 - Fitzpatrick

Rivers scoring 16 points this week was like Frank Gore scoring 6.3 points.  Sure, they both scored twice as much as they cost, but if you had to use their scores, you probably weren't atop the leader board.
Hey!  Don't go slandering my "Gase is a moron so I should rooster this guy" selection of Gore ;)

-QG

$12 - Mayfield
$8 - Cousins
$7 - Darnold
$5 - Haskins
$4 - Fitzpatrick

True, but in this game you aren't trying to be atop the leader board until the very end of the contest. You are trying to avoid being close to the bottom for most of the contest. My goal is to have all my byes well covered even after what I assumed would be more injuries than usual this season. I had considered a few of those guys along with Garoppolo, Lock, Tyrod Taylor and feel like those were some bullets dodged along with the guys you listed there. Fitz is actually my QB#4.

Truthfully, Rivers hasn't scored in my lineup yet but with the frequency guy are going down it wouldn't really surprise me if he did contribute at least a handful of weeks. I guess 19ppg doesn't sound like a lot to most people but I've definitely been eliminated by much less than that over the years when I had untimely injuries or bye weeks.

To each their own.

Hey!  Don't go slandering my "Gase is a moron so I should rooster this guy" selection of Gore ;)

-QG
Completely on board with that as well. Not only didn't I trust Gase but I also don't trust Bell. Bell didn't look much better than Gore last season. I just hope Gase hangs onto that job as long as possible. 

Gore hasn't counted in my lineup either but I'm glad I have him for $3.

True, but in this game you aren't trying to be atop the leader board until the very end of the contest. You are trying to avoid being close to the bottom for most of the contest. My goal is to have all my byes well covered even after what I assumed would be more injuries than usual this season. I had considered a few of those guys along with Garoppolo, Lock, Tyrod Taylor and feel like those were some bullets dodged along with the guys you listed there. Fitz is actually my QB#4.

Truthfully, Rivers hasn't scored in my lineup yet but with the frequency guy are going down it wouldn't really surprise me if he did contribute at least a handful of weeks. I guess 19ppg doesn't sound like a lot to most people but I've definitely been eliminated by much less than that over the years when I had untimely injuries or bye weeks.

To each their own.
Totally understand.  Perhaps instead of me saying you likely weren't atop the leader board, I should've said you were likely near or below the cut line.  The goal is to survive each week, and it doesn't matter if it's by 1 point or 100.  But I can tell you this - you will NOT find any entry that made it to the final 250 that scored an average of 19 at QB.  19 is a great score at all other positions, but it is not good for QB's.  To put it into perspective, the QB last year with the closest per game average to Rivers so far was Mitch Trubisky, who finished as QB25.

BTW, I own Cousins for the same $8 as Rivers.  And no, I am not happy he is averaging 15 a game.  I also own Gore, but would be ecstatic if he were averaging 15.

Speaking of QB's. I think I spent more on QB than in previous years. It looks like I'm the only team with this combo of QB's.

Lamar Jackson         $26     36.25    21.60                                                          
Cam Newton              $11     27.25    41.55                                                                       
Teddy Bridgewater      $9     22.10    16.35

Totally understand.  Perhaps instead of me saying you likely weren't atop the leader board, I should've said you were likely near or below the cut line.  The goal is to survive each week, and it doesn't matter if it's by 1 point or 100.  But I can tell you this - you will NOT find any entry that made it to the final 250 that scored an average of 19 at QB.  19 is a great score at all other positions, but it is not good for QB's.  To put it into perspective, the QB last year with the closest per game average to Rivers so far was Mitch Trubisky, who finished as QB25.

BTW, I own Cousins for the same $8 as Rivers.  And no, I am not happy he is averaging 15 a game.  I also own Gore, but would be ecstatic if he were averaging 15.
I'm not a Rivers fan (I went with a combo of Fitz and Tua for $9 as my #3 QB), but to be fair, nobody expects to win the contest with the average score of their #3 QB (or of their #4 RB). The sole purpose of depth guys is to avoid a 0 (or near 0) that would be fatal. I'm not going to win if I have to use Thompson or Moss every week, but either might keep me from being eliminated if Jacobs has a bad week.

Exactly.  Rivers is 0 insurance and that's it.  Reasonable at $8 (though I didn't go that way) as he has one of the lowest chances of being replaced.

-QG

I threw a team together quickly this year, then kind of let the time get away from me and never went back to it.

Still alive but I need to survive Michael Thomas's absence for a couple of weeks.  And the fact that I rostered 3 kickers, but 2 of them got cut and I didn't get them replaced. So GO DUSTIN HOPKINS!

Had one of my best weeks ever in a number of years in this contest: 231.25

• Cam
  • Big Ben
  • Cousins (oops)
  • Rivers (he was cheap)
  • Mixon
  • CEH
  • Aaron Jones
  • Gibson
  • Snell (just waiting in the wings for the "inevitable" injury)
  • JuJu
  • Ridley (I was able to get him on all of my regular FFB teams, too)
  • Chark
  • Deebo (hopefully coming back in a week or two)
  • MVS
  • Gesicki
  • Jonnu Smith
  • Lutz
  • Zuerlein
  • Pittsburgh
  • Buffalo

Don’t know if we’ve seen so many high profile injuries this early in the contest.  Should tone down the cut line considering the % of cuts has gone up.  Regardless, Turk will be eating goood Tuesday morning. 

i also chose cousins as my week 7 qb. i felt like this was one of the more fascinating choices in the contest (in addition to week 8 wrs which i talked about when i listed my team). the reason is there were 3 or 4 legit choices with the same bye week at a pretty tasty price point. i feel like most teams should have one of these guys. minshew vs tannehill vs cousins vs rivers. personally i never considered rivers bc i just felt like his ceiling was clearly the lowest of the group. cousins has looked by far the worst of the group on the field based on the eye test but maybe he was the correct choice. obv too early to tell.

also, saying that cousins is "averaging 15 a game" is kinda burying the lede. he is ofc, but he has a 27 and a 3. if he did that for the entire season youd be thrilled to have him in your stable of qbs, especially if you took 4 of them like a dip####. 😕 it does present kind of another problem though, will he be benched if he has another horrific game or two like he did on sunday.

Had one of my best weeks ever in a number of years in this contest: 231.25

• Cam
  • Big Ben
  • Cousins (oops)
  • Rivers (he was cheap)
  • Mixon
  • CEH
  • Aaron Jones
  • Gibson
  • Snell (just waiting in the wings for the "inevitable" injury)
  • JuJu
  • Ridley (I was able to get him on all of my regular FFB teams, too)
  • Chark
  • Deebo (hopefully coming back in a week or two)
  • MVS
  • Gesicki
  • Jonnu Smith
  • Lutz
  • Zuerlein
  • Pittsburgh
  • Buffalo
this team build certainly isnt my style but i like this team a lot and feel like this is definitely a legit way to win this constest. load up on the studs you believe in and hope you picked the correct guys and they dont get hurt. this team definitely shouldnt have 4 qbs with 2 on the same bye though. shoulda spent that rivers cash on another wr imo.

Welcome to week 3, where the cuts start to get deep.  Starting the week off with Preston Williams and Mike Gesicki.

I have some good news about Calcomatic.com - I was able to get the MFL data to work!!!!!! :towelwave:    Big props to @Alberta Clipper for doing all the leg work/research/setup on the MFL side of things!

However, some work still needs to be done.  Primarily I need to load all the FBG entries in the contest, still waiting to get that data from FBG.  For now, I have 32 "entries" setup based on the NFL teams - so all the Steeler players are on entry # 27 for example.  Typically I do this during pre-season to ensure I have all the mappings between FBG, calcomatic, and the source for stats (MFL this year) setup correctly.  So we'll use this approach for tonight to make sure MIA and JAX players are setup correctly and then hopefully I'll get all the entries before Sunday so those can be setup.

Since we have a new data source for stats, we'll need to be on the lookout for issues with scoring and the mapping of the stats to the correct player.  Given all the changes on short notice with no preseason, I'm sure there will be some issues.  Regardless - looks like Calcomatic.com will be running this year!

I have some good news about Calcomatic.com - I was able to get the MFL data to work!!!!!! :towelwave:    Big props to @Alberta Clipper for doing all the leg work/research/setup on the MFL side of things!

However, some work still needs to be done.  Primarily I need to load all the FBG entries in the contest, still waiting to get that data from FBG.  For now, I have 32 "entries" setup based on the NFL teams - so all the Steeler players are on entry # 27 for example.  Typically I do this during pre-season to ensure I have all the mappings between FBG, calcomatic, and the source for stats (MFL this year) setup correctly.  So we'll use this approach for tonight to make sure MIA and JAX players are setup correctly and then hopefully I'll get all the entries before Sunday so those can be setup.

Since we have a new data source for stats, we'll need to be on the lookout for issues with scoring and the mapping of the stats to the correct player.  Given all the changes on short notice with no preseason, I'm sure there will be some issues.  Regardless - looks like Calcomatic.com will be running this year!
You guys rule!!

Still here in case you need grunt work...

sooted72 said:
also, saying that cousins is "averaging 15 a game" is kinda burying the lede. he is ofc, but he has a 27 and a 3. if he did that for the entire season youd be thrilled to have him in your stable of qbs, especially if you took 4 of them like a dip####.
I think it depends if Cousins has a 3 on the bye week of your top 2 QB's or if he has the 27 whether you'd be thrilled or not. That's one reason why I have both Rivers as a high floor backup and Fitzpatrick as a high ceiling backup.

Whether 4 QB's make you a "dip####" really hinges on whether you think 2020 is just your average business-as-usual season or if you think it will be and has already been different. I can't remember too many seasons where 3 teams were already forced into starting their #2 QB after just two weeks of play, and that extends to many other positions as well. Brady still hasn't played a game with Godwin. Stafford still hasn't played a game with Golladay. Brees is playing without Thomas. Rodgers may have to play without Adams. Tannehill is already playing with AJ Brown. Julio Jones has already been battling injuries for Ryan. Darnold didn't have much to throw to in the first place but both Crowder/Perriman are already dinged up so his go-to WR this week will likely be Berrios or Malone. Shepard is already hurt for Jones. And those are just the WR injuries. Something tells me the injury to Barkely is going to have a dampening effect on all parts of the NYG offense. And Kittle with SF. And McCaffrey in CAR. 

If the average contest entry only has 21 players I don't feel bad at all spending $35 on 4 QB to insulate myself to injury at QB and their key offensive weapons. In an average year I think the "pick your studs and hope they stay healthy" can make sense(depending on how the prices and bye weeks fall for the players that you considered studs). And maybe this seems like an average year to some people. 2020 feels like anything but an average year to me thus far.

End the night at 40.2 with 24 guys left to play (well really it's gonna be more like 21 or 22).

Fitzmagic gave me a nice QB floor with a 29.8 and appreciate that the win might keep Tua on the bench for a while longer :)

-QG

FWIW @Steeler dunno if you set up the feed yet but nothing from the Dolphins or Jaguars in Calcomatic

-QG
Yep.  Feed is setup but nothing has been updated at the feed yet :(   If t data at MFL isn't updated there is nothing I can do.  This MFL idea may not work after all :(  Ziggy suggested it might not be updated frequently, but I never expected it to take this long.  This is the link for week 3 and no data at all is available.

https://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2020/export?TYPE=playerScores&L=56531&APIKEY=&W=3&YEAR=&PLAYERS=&POSITION=&STATUS=&RULES=&COUNT=&JSON=0

Based on beginning of year totals out of 22,806 kicker slots across the 10,226 roosters there are now 3,024 slots that are taken up by cut/injured/backup kickers.

Bye weeks are going to be interesting at this position.

-QG

End the night at 40.2 with 24 guys left to play (well really it's gonna be more like 21 or 22).

Fitzmagic gave me a nice QB floor with a 29.8 and appreciate that the win might keep Tua on the bench for a while longer :)

-QG
A little frustrating that Fitz can score 29.8 yet none of his receivers have a game worth using (at least I hope I don't need to use them). 

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but when I enter my team into Calcomatic (#103390) it shows as entry #0 and doesn't populate my roster.

So this has all the players in the contest spread out over those 12 teams?  I'll try to make the switch to this URL before Sunday.
yes to the best of my knowledge - there might have been a few FA or inj missing but if anyone reports error/ommissions I can quickly fix

Not sure if I am doing something wrong, but when I enter my team into Calcomatic (#103390) it shows as entry #0 and doesn't populate my roster.
You aren't doing anything wrong.  The FBG entries haven't been loaded yet but I hope to have that done before Sunday.  Without an NFL preseason and needing to change to a new data source for the stats has me behind schedule :)

I think it depends if Cousins has a 3 on the bye week of your top 2 QB's or if he has the 27 whether you'd be thrilled or not. That's one reason why I have both Rivers as a high floor backup and Fitzpatrick as a high ceiling backup.
thats not how best ball teams work but i get the point youre making. *GENERALLY SPEAKING* you prefer high variance, boom/bust types in best ball leagues and contests than the high floor/low ceiling, more consistent types. i mean i suppose if you somehow know that your high floor player will show up the week you need him to keep you from being eliminated, then, yeah, take that guy instead i suppose lol.

Whether 4 QB's make you a "dip####" really hinges on whether you think 2020 is just your average business-as-usual season or if you think it will be and has already been different. I can't remember too many seasons where 3 teams were already forced into starting their #2 QB after just two weeks of play, and that extends to many other positions as well. Brady still hasn't played a game with Godwin. Stafford still hasn't played a game with Golladay. Brees is playing without Thomas. Rodgers may have to play without Adams. Tannehill is already playing with AJ Brown. Julio Jones has already been battling injuries for Ryan. Darnold didn't have much to throw to in the first place but both Crowder/Perriman are already dinged up so his go-to WR this week will likely be Berrios or Malone. Shepard is already hurt for Jones. And those are just the WR injuries. Something tells me the injury to Barkely is going to have a dampening effect on all parts of the NYG offense. And Kittle with SF. And McCaffrey in CAR. 

If the average contest entry only has 21 players I don't feel bad at all spending $35 on 4 QB to insulate myself to injury at QB and their key offensive weapons. In an average year I think the "pick your studs and hope they stay healthy" can make sense(depending on how the prices and bye weeks fall for the players that you considered studs). And maybe this seems like an average year to some people. 2020 feels like anything but an average year to me thus far.
i should clarify about this. i  said i felt like a dip#### for taking 4 qbs a couple pages ago. i am in no way suggesting that somebody who did that is a dip####. i did it exactly for the reasons you mentioned above so im with you here. i was just poking fun at myself thats all.

apalmer said:
I'm not going to win if I have to use Thompson or Moss every week, but either might keep me from being eliminated if Jacobs has a bad week.
not to nitpick bc i basically agree with what youre saying, but there is a legit shot guys like moss (and others like gibson, snell, etc) are rb1s that are reliable every week starters that can help you win this contest by the end of the season. in my mind i think its fair to distinguish them from someone like thompson who will basically never be an rb1 bc of how hes been used his entire career.

thats not how best ball teams work but i get the point youre making. *GENERALLY SPEAKING* you prefer high variance, boom/bust types in best ball leagues and contests than the high floor/low ceiling, more consistent types. i mean i suppose if you somehow know that your high floor player will show up the week you need him to keep you from being eliminated, then, yeah, take that guy instead i suppose lol.

i should clarify about this. i  said i felt like a dip#### for taking 4 qbs a couple pages ago. i am in no way suggesting that somebody who did that is a dip####. i did it exactly for the reasons you mentioned above so im with you here. i was just poking fun at myself thats all.
Ah, no harm no foul. I wasn't taking umbrage. Just explaining my position.

And in that spirit I would make a counter argument to the underlined bit. *GENERALLY SPEAKING* that's not how survivor leagues work. This isn't JUST a best ball league, but a survivor league as well where one bad week can knock you out. The idea of a high floor player is that you aren't HOPING for and unusual performance will keep you from getting eliminated you are kind of expecting him to score a high floor on a fairly consistent weekly basis. The whole reason for taking a high floor player is you don't need to somehow know which week will be his best week and his worst week. Because his variance is smaller there shouldn't be all that much of a difference either way. 

In the past when there were more entrants in the contest and there were(what I'm assuming) fewer injuries I would have expected the cut-off lines to be higher and would have likely played more higher variance players. This season I am just predicting that cut-off lines will be lower and having multiple solid scorers at every position will be more valuable. This is the first season I've only gone with one team defense because of that. Injuries just seem like a really big deal this season even if the covid tests end up being 200,000/200,000 negative.... which I'm still skeptical about. In fact, back no page 2 of this thread I was telling Joe Bryant I was a little disappointed that the maximum roster size wasn't bigger this season because I expected so many injuries shaking things up. The broader range of ways too construct a roster makes for more unique rosters which is a good thing imo.

That's the single best thing about fantasy football, there is a scoreboard at the end to determine who was actually right when devising their strategy/team. Best of luck and we'll see how everything plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread