What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you typically carry cash on your person? (1 Viewer)

If yes, how much do you typically carry?

• NA, I don't typically carry cash on my person

Votes: 57 21.0%
  • $5 or less

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • $5.01 - $10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.01 - $20

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • $20.01 - $40

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • $40.01 - $60

Votes: 35 12.9%
  • $60.01 - $100

Votes: 51 18.8%
  • More than$100

Votes: 65 23.9%

• Total voters
I'm assuming you must use it then, correct?  Meaning - you aren't stashing that $100 away somewhere (hiding money?)

I never use cash, never need cash and if I do I get it ahead of time.  I'm 46 years old and yet to have a cash emergency.
yeah, I usually spend it in that time and go back for more when I have less than $20. If I go to the deli and buy a couple of rolls or a coffee, I'd rather use cash. 

And actually a local pizzeria only takes cash. Just got back from the bank so I can buy a pie later.

Always carry cash - although I am far more likely to use a credit card where both are accepted.

I do think this probably has a lot to do with where you live and what your activities are.  If you are in a more rural area or do activities where cash are needed you are much more likely to carry cash. 

I don't carry cash, but we keep a couple grand in the house in case of emergencies, which I haven't experienced recently. 

I charge everything for some pts but have to have cash on me.

Eta: 40-100 range
Almost exactly the same. 

I never use cash, never need cash and if I do I get it ahead of time.  I'm 46 years old and yet to have a cash emergency.
Pretty much. The only time I use cash is for office collection for gifts, fundraisers, or "organizational days" which aren't happening now anyway.

The last time I went to an ATM was to get cash for a kayak right as the pandemic was hitting the US. the person on FB marketplace didn't want to take a check and said she didn't have PayPal. 

Edit - I "typically" don't carry my wallet around anyway, so I guess that's a no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you have voted "no" if you routinely carry a $100 in your wallet for an emergency situation?  You are always carrying cash and will use that cash if there is an interruption in being able to use your other forms of payment.  You basically answered the opposite of what you are doing?  
I took the pole to be in relation to walking around money

i treat this like it’s not there.  I wouldn’t use it to cover a tip for my dad or anything like that

This would be like if my car breaks down in some rural area and I need to convince someone to give my creepy ### a ride into town or I lose a big hand of GUTS playing poker with my buddies 

Probably 95% of my activity outside of my apartment these days is within a mile of my place. I don't even bring my wallet with me anymore. I throw my main CC in my pocket if I'm going to the store or if there's a good likelihood of buying something. For the rare times I haven't had a card on me, I haven't had a problem getting what I need with Apple Pay. 

Not only do I never have cash in my wallet other than maybe a dollar or two (have $1 in there now), I can't remember the last time I went to an ATM.
I go to the ATM to deposit cash that other people give me. Actually, it's more to deposit cash that people give my kids.

Other than that, I think HS sports (remember that?) was the only thing I used cash for since that's all they take.

I took the pole to be in relation to walking around money

i treat this like it’s not there.  I wouldn’t use it to cover a tip for my dad or anything like that

This would be like if my car breaks down in some rural area and I need to convince someone to give my creepy ### a ride into town or I lose a big hand of GUTS playing poker with my buddies 
Not at all.  The question is about people that literally routinely walk around with no money on them.   I carry cash with me all of the time--but the vast majority of my purchases are done with credit cards to track my spending.  The context of how the thread started was that I made a comment that I personally find the action of people routinely leaving their home with zero cash (like nothing for an emergency or an unexpected occurence) to be an immature and irresponsible action.  The question is not if you use the cash on a day to day basis--its whether you carry any on you at all on a regular basis.  

Just went to go get some pho for dinner, left the apartment sans cash. Get to the place and the guy's credit card reader is broken.  :lol:  

Immediately thought of this thread and walked 5 mins to an ATM.

I'm going to amend my cash opinion and state that it also likely differs based on where you live. Not everyone has a walkable city with retrievable cash nearby all the time.

I try to put everything on a cc. When I do charge, it is on our AMEX, unless someone doesn't accept it. I love how we get a ton of points on everything. I also have as many bills as possible tied to that card. 

As far as cash, I usually get $200 out of the bank from an ATM when needed, and give half to my wife. With 3 teens, in he pre-covid era, there was always a need for cash for something. I can't remember when I went to the ATM to get the cash that I have left in my wallet (~$20)

Not at all.  The question is about people that literally routinely walk around with no money on them.   I carry cash with me all of the time--but the vast majority of my purchases are done with credit cards to track my spending.  The context of how the thread started was that I made a comment that I personally find the action of people routinely leaving their home with zero cash (like nothing for an emergency or an unexpected occurence) to be an immature and unprofessional action.  The question is not if you use the cash on a day to day basis--its whether you carry any on you at all on a regular basis.  
Your choices of adjectives for these situations continue to be strange. How did we get to "unprofessional"?

RUSF18 said:
Your choices of adjectives for these situations continue to be strange. How did we get to "unprofessional"?
You are right. I meant to write "irresponsible" and used the wrong word.  Am multi-tasking and my scattered brain just used "unprofessional" instead. I changed it to irresponsible. Good catch. 

I do not carry cash  and I do not remember any circumstance where I would have wanted cash.

I currently have $142 in my wallet.   Today I needed cash to tip the guy that dried my car and did my wheels/tires at the car wash and gave my daughter some cash for gas and food.   I could have transferred it to her debit card, but her card was at her mom's house so she would have needed to take an extra trip to get it.   I leave $25 or so in my car most of the time as well.  Next time I'm around my bank, I'll probably pull out $300 or so.

I never carry cash, its about the CC points.  I do have access to cash at home if needed.   Now if I were going to Vegas, I would carry some cash.

Judging by the coin shortage, many small businesses appreciate the CC transactions.

I never carry cash unless I know ahead of time that I'll need it.  CC for everything and pay it off monthly.  I can see the reason some people will carry some for emergency purposes etc., but calling people that don't irresponsible and immature is a huge stretch.  

I typically carry a minimal amount like 20-40 dollars just in case there's a problem. In the last few years, I have had credit cards just stop working (damaged), I've had my CC frozen for suspicious activity, and recently I stopped for gas only to find that all the Shell stations' in my area couldn't process card payments (some technical issue in their system). 

So I've had to use cash a few times when I didn't expect to need it.

I used to prefer using cash a fast food drive-thru windows, but since covid I've gone to card-only.

I wouldn't say it's irresponsible, merely lacking in foresight.  Being able to try the new food truck that doesn't accept cards?  Being able to tip somebody that was nice in their job but underpaid?  As the original thread mentioned, being able to cover for an elderly family member who thinks it's the Great Depression when they tip after paying for dinner?  Being able to pick up milk and bread on the way home when there's a power/network outage?  ALL of those have happened to me over the years.

I pay for day to day affairs with plastic 99.9% of the time.  But it doesn't take an Eagle Scout (although I am one) to be prepared for that .1% that's gonna find you sometime.  Being able to cover when necessary is both good planning and good manners.  No, a $20 isn't gonna save you in a collapse of society.  But it will save your time/hunger/dignity at some point, trust me.  

I wouldn't say it's irresponsible, merely lacking in foresight.  Being able to try the new food truck that doesn't accept cards?  Being able to tip somebody that was nice in their job but underpaid?  As the original thread mentioned, being able to cover for an elderly family member who thinks it's the Great Depression when they tip after paying for dinner?  Being able to pick up milk and bread on the way home when there's a power/network outage?  ALL of those have happened to me over the years.

I pay for day to day affairs with plastic 99.9% of the time.  But it doesn't take an Eagle Scout (although I am one) to be prepared for that .1% that's gonna find you sometime.  Being able to cover when necessary is both good planning and good manners.  No, a $20 isn't gonna save you in a collapse of society.  But it will save your time/hunger/dignity at some point, trust me.  
This. Exactly.

I never carry cash unless I know ahead of time that I'll need it.  CC for everything and pay it off monthly.  I can see the reason some people will carry some for emergency purposes etc., but calling people that don't irresponsible and immature is a huge stretch.  
For the 5000th time--I'm not calling the people immature and irresponsible---I'm saying that the action of never carrying cash is an immature and irresponsible action and decision to make.  I mentioned it in the other thread. I maybe drink enough to get drunk 2-3 times a year.  Aside from those 2-3 times a year--I'm a workaholic that rarely drinks otherwise.  Those 2-3 times a year--my actions in regards to drinking are irresponsible and immature.  That doesn't mean that I'm an immature and irresponsible person in general.  Lots of people are trying to impose their own context and meanings to what my point is.  

Still a distinction without a difference.  It's a judgment.
Yes--I'm judging the action--not the person.  That is a difference. I cannot explain it any more clear. According to your logic smart people are incapable of making stupid mistakes.   If somebody calls them out on a stupid mistake--they are not calling the person stupid--they are calling the mistake stupid. 

Yes--I'm judging the action--not the person.  That is a difference. I cannot explain it any more clear. According to your logic smart people are incapable of making stupid mistakes.   If somebody calls them out on a stupid mistake--they are not calling the person stupid--they are calling the mistake stupid. 
Why are we having this discussion in two threads?

As I pointed out, this isn't a stupid mistake you are talking about.  It's an always thing.

Why are we having this discussion in two threads?

As I pointed out, this isn't a stupid mistake you are talking about.  It's an always thing.
I'm judging solely that "always" decision in regards to not carrying cash around. I'm not judging the person. Is that clear enough?  

I'm judging solely that "always" decision in regards to not carrying cash around. I'm not judging the person. Is that clear enough?  
:no:

And we seem to have a couple of potential tropical systems headed right for us.  I think maybe we should pay a visit to the ATM soon.

Yes, usually 100-200.

I tend to buy used items where I can from people (examples being wheel narrow, loft bed for my son, kids clothing off facebook classifieds.....) plus on occasion some places are cash only (yes those do still exist).

I dont understand the people who don't carry cause because they use other forms of payment.  I always pay with a card when I can also.  But, as I said, some things dont take a card, check, or apple pay.

It can also simplify things when splitting cost between people.  

It's a convenience.  

:no:

And we seem to have a couple of potential tropical systems headed right for us.  I think maybe we should pay a visit to the ATM soon.
I don't want to come across as being debatable as I'm genuinely surprised that there seems to be a hard time digesting the notion that judging a decision or an action is not the same as judging a person.  Most everybody has friends or family that they consider to be smart/intelligent that might make questionable decisions in regards to how they run a business, how they drive, maybe political views or beliefs---or whatever else one can think of.   One can be critical and judgemental about those views, decisions and actions without being critical of the person in questions entire character.   We can agree to disagree--but I'm merely explaining my context and the context in which my statements were made.  What I don't like is people injecting their own or morphing the context of something that I said because it caters to their side of the argument.  Keep in mind--I want to make clear that I'm not accusing you of doing this.  

I still don't see why the act of not carrying cash is irresponsible. Inconvenient at times, sure. But irresponsible? I mean there are instances where I can't use a CC (terminals down, cash only, etc) but I've just gone without making a purchase. No big deal. Losing my wallet the second time with quite a bit of money in it was the reason I stopped carrying cash, but not having cash also helped me stop using vending machines. There are lots of good reasons to carry cash, and many good reasons why it's not necessary, but I wouldn't say the act of not having cash is irresponsible. 

Almost never, unless I have an explicit use for it. Just carry my ID and a single credit card.

Recently took the plunge and added a rubber band to act as a wallet, but I’m yearning for the simpler days, when the cards were free to roam my pocket as they pleased.

you guys will love this ...

every two weeks I get a set amount of cash out of the bank and put it in an envelope and date the envelope

that cash is managed throughout the 2 weeks for fast food (we don't eat much), groceries, beer/liquor, household stuff, cleaning supplies, etc. - all of the receipts go in the envelope as well

so I carry that envelope with me when I'm out

any extra at the end of that time gets put away with the envelope in one of those tidy "label" boxes and goes in the closet and gets counted up and goes toward some larger purchase

get off my lawn ...seriously   :D

I still don't see why the act of not carrying cash is irresponsible. Inconvenient at times, sure. But irresponsible? I mean there are instances where I can't use a CC (terminals down, cash only, etc) but I've just gone without making a purchase. No big deal. Losing my wallet the second time with quite a bit of money in it was the reason I stopped carrying cash, but not having cash also helped me stop using vending machines. There are lots of good reasons to carry cash, and many good reasons why it's not necessary, but I wouldn't say the act of not having cash is irresponsible. 
I will elaborate why I feel that it's irresponsible.   Over the course of time--there certainly will be the chance that there will be interruptions and unforeseen circumstances where atm and credit cards are not able to be used.   The credit card holder has no control over these circumstances.  If there is a power outage, a natural disaster, some sort of interruption in banking and merchant services--etc--its not like you as the consumer can somehow "force" access to your credit cards.   Having some cash on you is a very simple and easy solution to this possiblity.  I use credit and debit cards 99% of the time--but I also carry cash with me 100% of the time.   I know that 999/1000 days--I probably won't need to use that cash--but there will be one day when I need it where it will come in handy.   If I have to deal with a power outage for a couple of days--20-40 bucks worth of food, water and batteries could be the difference between 2 days of agony or 2 days of tolerable inconvenience.   The reason why I say it's irresponsible is that not one person in this thread has made an argument to a potential benefit of having no emergency cash on them at all times.   Seriously--not one argument on how having no cash in hand in the case of an emergency or unexpected event is beneficial--when the solution to this problem is literally having one folded piece of currency in your wallet or between your cell phone and cell phone case. It is an action that can only help in a time of need with literally no downside and it's literally one of the easiest things that one can do.  It is all reward with basically no risk or cost.  That's why I think it's an irresponsible action to not carry cash ever. 

Lets not forget that (and I said this in the other thread) that a few months ago--everybody expected that they could go into grocery stores and get food, water, meat, supplies at their leisure. Those were supposed to be guaranteed things--and people took that for granted. The second meat and toilet paper had supply chain interruptions to where they were no longer a guarantee--we went from being a civilized society to devolving into animals that were fighting each other to get these things.  Don't make the same mistake again assuming that everything will always work perfectly at all times.   Assuming that credit cards, atms, and Apple Pay will always work is a false assumption. There will be interruptions at some point.  

You think ATM's work all of the time?  You think if there is a mass disaster or large unexpected event that ATM's will have enough cash in them to supply the masses with cash?   How about a weather even that causes power outages or shuts down credit card terminals and ATM's?   I agree that having no cash works beautifully 999/1000 days--but you should always have a little bit on you for those rare occurrences when you actually need it.   Unexpected events arise all of the time and fully depending on systems that you have no control over to function perfectly is risky. That's just my 2 cents. 
This is getting a bit extreme IMO. 1/1000 isn’t all the time, and I can’t recall an instance in my nearly 50 years where I absolutely, positively needed cash with no alternative available. You can always elect not to make the cash-only purchase. But if I’m spending money, my wife or a friend is almost always available to provide actual currency when needed. I more than make up for that rare, minor inconvenience by helping them out/footing the bill whenever given the chance.

Like others, I haven’t been to an ATM in years; I no longer have an ATM card.

I will elaborate why I feel that it's irresponsible.
I think the problem here is not whether you are right or wrong, or if you have a valid point - you do.  The problem is that by rather strenuously judging a specific action people may take, you're coming across as a judgmental jerk.  People will take offense to somebody judging what they do, even if there's a solid amount of reasoning behind the judgement.  That's why you're getting kickback on what you're trying to say.

Because you aren't home all of the time.   People act like carrying a 20 dollar bill on them in the case of an emergency is like pushing a wheel barrow around.  Just put in between your cell phone and your cell phone case in the rare event that you end up needing it. What harm is there in being prepared?   What is the downside?  I just listed many potential upsides--so do me a favor and tell me how carrying one 20 dollar bill around you in the case of an emergency is so egregious and non-sensical. 
I often don’t carry my cell phone either. But you’re right, there isn’t much downside to carrying $20, other than providing impetus to spend it.

This is getting a bit extreme IMO. 1/1000 isn’t all the time, and I can’t recall an instance in my nearly 50 years where I absolutely, positively needed cash with no alternative available. You can always elect not to make the cash-only purchase. But if I’m spending money, my wife or a friend is almost always available to provide actual currency when needed. I more than make up for that rare, minor inconvenience by helping them out/footing the bill whenever given the chance.

Like others, I haven’t been to an ATM in years; I no longer have an ATM card.
And I can think of dozens of times in the last 10-12 years where having cash on hand with me benefited me greatly.   My guess is that many people would probably say the same.  Maybe you haven't had many or any of those experiences yet--but "yet" is the key word---and if you never have one of those experiences--how hard was it for you to slide a $20 bill in your cell phone case just in case?  Like i said--it's no risk with very high reward. 

I think the problem here is not whether you are right or wrong, or if you have a valid point - you do.  The problem is that by rather strenuously judging a specific action people may take, you're coming across as a judgmental jerk.  People will take offense to somebody judging what they do, even if there's a solid amount of reasoning behind the judgement.  That's why you're getting kickback on what you're trying to say.
And I've many times clearly said that I'm not judging the person--I'm judging the action.  I agree with your premise of why I'm getting kickback--but I'm also calling things as I see them. We all judge actions.  That's just a fact.  Maybe I'm the only one here thats comfortable admitting it openly--but we all do it. 

Users who are viewing this thread