What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you tip the shuttle bus driver? - No assist with luggage (1 Viewer)

Do you tip the free shuttle bus driver? - No assist with luggage

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
I know we talk a lot about the tipping culture in the other thread but this came up recently.

What do you do for tipping the free shuttle bus driver?

This one is if the driver does NOT assist you with your luggage. I asked here what you do if the driver does assist you with your luggage.

Specifics:
  • 10-minute free shuttle bus ride from the airport to a nearby hotel.
  • Bus is reasonably clean and comfortable.
  • Driving is fine.
  • Driver does not touch your luggage or assist in any way.
  • Driver personality is neutral. Not overly good or bad.

Last edited:
Not in that scenario. But I do always tip the drivers that offer to help with luggage, are engaging but not overbearing, or if they take me directly without waiting around forever for others. Mostly rental car shuttle driver for me.

I don't worry much about it either way. If I have $1-2, I'll throw it his way. If I don't have singles, then I'm not sweating it.

In general with tipping in situations like this or others where I'm not sure, I've never regretted being "generous" so I usually err on giving a little something.

Typically yes provided the guy doesn't rub me the wrong way. I'm pretty anti-tipping, but for some reason I give that person one. FTR, only use the shuttle from offsite airport parking to airport.

Typically yes provided the guy doesn't rub me the wrong way. I'm pretty anti-tipping, but for some reason I give that person one.

Interesting. I wonder why that is? Maybe that it's more clear that they actually did something like drive? Compared to a cashier maybe that doesn't seem to have done as much?

I do find it an interesting question in general.

If it was just a drop off shuttle, I’m not sure it would occur to me to tip - and I generally tip well. It seems different than an UBER or Taxi to me for whatever reason. Thinking back I probably haven’t tipped the few times I’ve taken one - mostly because I consider the shuttle as part of my parking fee.

When I have simple options and choose to use a service, I will tip. If I am not given options and/or someone else has arranged the service, not likely to tip. So in the shuttle scenario...
A free shuttle that I chose to use with luggage assist...yes to tip ($4-5)
A free shuttle that I chose to use with no luggage assist...yes to tip but smaller amount ($2)
Free shuttle that someone else dictated I take with or without luggage assist...no tip. For example, when I go to grade AP Exams each summer, the Educational Testing Service, pays for and arranges all transportation to from airport to hotel to grading site. So the shuttle is free to me. I do not tip

Typically yes provided the guy doesn't rub me the wrong way. I'm pretty anti-tipping, but for some reason I give that person one.

Interesting. I wonder why that is? Maybe that it's more clear that they actually did something like drive? Compared to a cashier maybe that doesn't seem to have done as much?

I do find it an interesting question in general.
Maybe more of a vacation mindset where I know I'm gonna be dropping a good chunk of money so what's a few bucks more. Maybe also bc they're providing a service that I don't quite equate to being included in the cost of the parking even though it is. Getting from off-site parking to the terminal is easily 20 round trip.

If I am traveling with anything other than a carry-on, I took a wrong turn somewhere.

But if I had a bunch of bags, and he helped, yeah sure. I would tip.

But I don't think it's expected as it was previously, for several reasons, but mainly, lotta people don't carry cash. At all.

I don't tip for just driving the bus loop.

I've always assumed people get paid to drive the bus during a shift. If that's what they're doing, then they're being paid for the job they're already doing.

The luggage help seems like an above and beyond. And I'm happy to pay extra for someone doing extra.

Users who are viewing this thread