What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you tip the housekeeping staff at a hotel? (1 Viewer)

Do you tip the housekeeping staff at a hotel?

• Yes

Votes: 66 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 56 45.9%

• Total voters
Admittedly used to a lot more pre-COVID, but when regular service stopped during COVID, I kind of stopped tipping. Now I often will if I'm staying more than one night and they service the room each day.

I didn't even know this was a thing...
For American hotels, I didn't either. People do this?

I do tip daily and well at all inclusive resorts (save for a resort that explicitly tells you not to) because I've found that this will result in better booze and snacks, and, if the stars align, things like nice cigars and marijuana.

Resorts yes/Hotel no. DND sign on all the time on normal hotels, don't want them in the room. I clean up after myself perfectly fine.

Probably half the time, voted yes.
I’ve only stayed in a hotel like 5 times in the last 4 years (we rent houses when we vacation). If I stay multiple days I’ll keep the do not disturb sign out most days.

Resorts yes/Hotel no. DND sign on all the time on normal hotels, don't want them in the room. I clean up after myself perfectly fine.
Yeah, I gotta side with this. I do a lot of one-night hotel stays and I usually am just working the whole time and am very good about ensuring the place is tidy with trash thrown away and towels balled up on the bathroom floor. So, frankly, while I know the staff works hard before and after my stay, a tip just seems odd when they are literally doing nothing for me while I'm there.

Now, at a resort where maybe we're asking for extra towels, golf cart rides, etc., absolutely.

Pre COVID, was pretty consistently tipping. Any travel post COVID, I barely am staying anywhere long enough to get service at all.

Once in Seattle, left about $200 worth of edibles that I got cold feet on trying to bring back to Texas, and just left a note that said "Enjoy!!"

Always.

When I was younger, it was "Always make sure the person in control of your toothbrush is happy with you". thing.

But now, I do it even if I'm on "do not disturb" the whole time.

It often seems like these are folks that could use a bit of a lift. And it's not great work.

I usually write a super short note just saying thanks too. If I am there and using housecleaning services, it's not uncommon that they'll write a note back saying thank you.

It's super easy and can make a difference.

Always.

When I was younger, it was "Always make sure the person in control of your toothbrush is happy with you". thing.

It often seems like these are folks that could use a bit of a lift. And it's not great work.
These days they don't clean your room until you leave. I can't remember the last time I had cleaning service during a stay.

Always.

These days they don't clean your room until you leave. I can't remember the last time I had cleaning service during a stay.

I've have several times. But yes, it's not uncommon to not have any housekeeping until you leave.

Same thing though. I tip when I leave.

Only if we have housekeeping clean while we are there, which we rarely do anymore because they offer us points to not use the services.

Why are we tipping for services we aren't using?

This also gets totally into the bigger picture tipping culture area.

Tipping on the last day of your stay where you were on "do not disturb" the whole time really does frame the argument - do you tip for actual work you received benefit from?

At an inn or resort yes. Staying overnight at a Marriot/Hilton etc no

The inn/resort seems more personable to me.

Admittedly used to a lot more pre-COVID, but when regular service stopped during COVID, I kind of stopped tipping. Now I often will if I'm staying more than one night and they service the room each day.
Yup. I travel quite a bit for work but rarely in the same room for more than a night due to what I do. So I voted no. I would leave a few bucks if I'm there 2+ nights and they make up the room.

I didn't even know this was a thing...
For American hotels, I didn't either. People do this?

I do tip daily and well at all inclusive resorts (save for a resort that explicitly tells you not to) because I've found that this will result in better booze and snacks, and, if the stars align, things like nice cigars and marijuana.
How do you not know that this is a thing?
I assume it's because nobody ever told me this and I've never seen anybody else do it. :shrug:

Tipping on the last day of your stay where you were on "do not disturb" the whole time really does frame the argument - do you tip for actual work you received benefit from?

For me, it makes sense to tip for services from check in to check out. If in that time, no one cleans my room, I don't see the need to tip.

Like at a restaurant you tip for the service from when you sit down to eat to when you have paid and stand up to leave.

i figure most of the staff are going some wierd stuff like smelling my socks or whatever when i am out and about and so i figure with how smelly my socks are that is enough of a tip take that to the bank bromigos

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the way tipping is growing especially where there was never a tip before. That's stuff is just stupid.

But when I was a kid a good part of my family did jobs that had tips. It was beat into us to tip well. I get all the arguments that are made for and against it everywhere these days but for me at this point in my life it boils down to, I can afford it and I don't mind tipping people whose job sucks and I would never do. So I tip in all hotels. The extra 5 or 10 bucks is a trip cost to me but could be a really good day for a minimin wage worker who deals with idiots like me in hotels.

This isn't like a waiter. You tip waiters at any level (here anyway).

If one is driving cross country and is broke as a joke staying in Motel 6's the whole way (me, 1993) I doubt the cleaning lady is expecting a greeting card and a box of chocolates. If the tip is like 33% of the price of the ROOM, I don't think it's expected

If I am staying multiple days at a good hotel (has a concierge etc), I'm definitely going to tip, and on the first day. Might want extra towels, or a late night cleanup, Very Bad Things style. I assume the housekeeping staff had a way of letting everyone know who tips and who doesn't.

If you DND the whole time, like I have definitely done? Nah, no need.

i no longer take housekeeping, so i don’t tip. realized that i don’t need strangers entering my room, that i basically sleep in that contains my belongings, for a couple of nights.

I travel a LOT. 160 nights in Marriotts this year so far. That’s not counting Hilton’s and others.
I always tip $5 a day, whether I get service or not. It’s kind of what @Joe Bryant was saying - these are really people that can use some help. I’m glad I’m in a position where I can help them.

I set it to do not disturb during stays but still leave a tip before checkout. These folks don't get paid well and it's an unthankful job. Plus I stay at some of the same hotels frequently and as @massraider mentioned, the staff knows who tips and who doesn't. And I always seem to get the room I want at the next check-in.

Users who are viewing this thread