What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rochester NY - death of Daniel Prude (1 Viewer)

Very sad.  The cops should be charged with murder and sent to prison. This kind of stuff is why people hate the police.   

The Post has a pretty good timeline video up.
https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/the-events-that-led-to-daniel-prudes-homicide-ruled-death/

About 300 people protesting last night, 9 arrests. Rochester has an African-American mayor, an African-American Chief of Police and the state AG (where the incident was referred to more than 5 months ago) is an African-American woman. There was still a terrible cover up.

The comments from the officers on scene are only icing on the terrible cake.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/the-events-that-led-to-daniel-prudes-homicide-ruled-death/

About 300 people protesting last night, 9 arrests. Rochester has an African-American mayor, an African-American Chief of Police and the state AG (where the incident was referred to more than 5 months ago) is an African-American woman. There was still a terrible cover up.

More on this

Someone help me out, Is this about race or a mentally ill naked man on PCP wandering the streets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone help me out, Is this about race or a mentally ill naked man on PCP wandering the streets?
It's about police murdering a citizen
And the subsequent cover-up, but this case just exemplifies how impossibly difficult this whole situation is.   Policing policies and oversight is abysmal.  Systemically things are ####ed up.  We've lost all sense of community now that there's 3 screens for every pair of eyes.  "The Century of the Self" as Adam Curtis puts it (need to rewatch that).  But this guy was mentally unstable and on PCP.   I don't have to rely on hyperbolic stories of how fked up that situation is, I've seen it first hand.   IDK man, but I get just trying to sweep this one under the rug.  Its a situation that's essentially impossible to resolve amicably. 

I've never heard of a "spit bag" has anyone else ??
AKA "Spit Sock." Fairly common, especially in jails and prisons.

But this guy was mentally unstable and on PCP. 
Normally I'm a police defender and support the actions of the police to subdue a suspect, for instance Eric Garner. In this situation, Prude was cuffed and naked. He didn't have a weapon. He was already subdued. He wasn't resisting to antagonize the cops (like Garner), but because he wasn't in his right mind. Mentally unstable / under the influence should require a more delicate touch, especially when the individual is already restrained.

And then the authorities sat on it for almost six months...

It's about police murdering a citizen.

Police defended the justice center, which has shaped up to be the flashpoint. Used pepper balls. Protesters have umbrellas and are pretty peaceful. Looks like a severe response is on tap if the protest turns rowdy.

ETA: stream

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope it had nothing to do with race, but it's terrible either way.
Lousy part of town, the outcome would be very unlikely in a suburb.

Watching feeds, cops have pepper sprayed and fired rubber bullets on protesters up to a dozen times.
Just broke the line to go into the crowd to disperse. It's a manual of what not to do.

Protests still going on. Twice riots were declared. A couple of impressive rubber bullet and pepper ball displays. 

An interesting thing on Sunday, 50 church elders stood between the police and the protesters. Calmest night we had.

Users who are viewing this thread