Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Joe Bryant

NFL and Covid Issues - Keep it 100% NFL

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Middle of Summer in Florida and Texas was no picnic, I didn't know we had this virus pegged to certain seasons of the year as being better or worse... 

That response is a bit sarcastic but I would beg folks not to inject personal opinions into this CV-19 thread, there's an entire thread with more open lanes over in the Free For All. 

I understand where you are coming from, and I know you're not trying to get under anyone's skin but everyone has a differing opinion or belief, much of it comes down to personal comfortability, some folks want to wear a mask by themselves in a outside park with no one around them, I find that to be a little over the top but right now we are not really allowed to question folks for taking precautions, not allowed to question local government closing the beaches, etc...so let's try and stick to Xs and Os please. 

Thanks and Cheers!

 

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think the concern about the Winter is that we will be dealing with influenza as well - not that Covid would necessarily get worse in Winter. That's probably not applicable for the NFL with the amount of testing going on.

There's a reason flu season is in winter. Lower humidity dries out the nasal passages and makes people far more susceptible to catching it. Haven't seen anything to say covid is going to be any different. Politics has nothing to do with it. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotoworld spin like this certainly doesn't help: 

Quote

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the league and NFLPA are looking into "multiple unauthorized workouts involving Titans players since the facility closed amidst a COVID-19 outbreak."

One such workout at a local private high school has already gone viral — truly, no pun intended — but it apparently was not the only one. Per Pelissero, the workouts were "not just involving skill positions." It would be bad enough if these were players going rogue, but it will be a calamity for the Titans organization if the league determines they were conducted with the coaching staff's blessing. The Titans are going to get hammered in the form of fines and likely draft pick losses, but the million dollar question remains what the league is going to do about their Week 5 game and potential forfeits in the face of their still-escalating coronavirus outbreak. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Rotoworld spin like this certainly doesn't help: 

 

Do we have dates on these? The one was Sept 30 correct? If that is the end of it, we should be done with new positive tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Fully with you.

Trying to stay true to the thread title (not easy)... I can't help but think that the majority of Owners this spring thought COVID would be ancient history by now, given the circles they run in and mixed message on a national level.

If only the NFL had some scientists that could help with all this stuff. 
 

What I’m (currently) confused about, is that beyond the apparent lack of planning regarding the schedule, there seems to be no clear guidelines about what happens when a team breaks the rules.

 is this just another example of Goodell just making up punishments as he goes along?
 

 

 

 

 


 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Which is, once again, the only way this season works. No one seems too concerned that every Walmart in America is open but somehow football players playing during Covid is a crime against humanity.

Players will get "sick" one way or another, just like waiters, school kids, stock boys, stock brokers and even presidents will. Separate the infected, let them recover, and the next men up play the game. If that's too scary, just cancel the season then because outside of a bubble it just can't work.

I'm not trying to be callous but with no end game in sight eventually life goes on and we all do what we can to try and stay healthy and keep others healthy but with the contagiousness of this virus getting sick is practically unavoidable without total isolation. At least the death rates keep dropping and dropping so that's encouraging.

 

recovery rate for the general population under 65 is 99.7%

spend some money on available treatments

which is minimal anyways because very few are actually sick

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I speak for 1337 other FBG Contest participants when I say that Gostkowski should be allowed to attempt a field goal on each Titan possession as their only scoring. If he outscores the Bills, so be it. 

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pipes said:

Agreed more people should be directing their anger towards the NFL for their "plan" as opposed to the Titans.  At the time of this violation the Titan's still had a game to prepare for so unrealistic of them to sit around and do nothing all week while the Steelers were practicing and preparing like a normal week.  I get it the Titan's violated the protocols but other teams have too.  Titan's just had worse luck than those teams. 

I think that is being overly generous to Tennessee.  They intentionally circumvented the rules after they already had 10+ positive tests including coaches and staff. No other team has had a situation nearly as severe as the one in Tennessee prior to 9/30 and they still ignored the rules.  Not to mention the reports that they were not wearing masks and contact trackers prior.

Besides, "other teams do it too" is not a good enough reason not to punish any team caught not following protocols.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The Athletic:
"Execs from multiple teams said it's been an open secret that the Titans have not strictly enforced guidelines regarding masks within their facility. The execs said they knew this through conversations with Titans staffers predating the outbreak. If this is true, the NFL will find proof on surveillance videos from inside team headquarters. "

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

From The Athletic:
"Execs from multiple teams said it's been an open secret that the Titans have not strictly enforced guidelines regarding masks within their facility. The execs said they knew this through conversations with Titans staffers predating the outbreak. If this is true, the NFL will find proof on surveillance videos from inside team headquarters. "

Maskgate? Apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Do we have dates on these? The one was Sept 30 correct? If that is the end of it, we should be done with new positive tests.

The post I quoted was from about two hours ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, amnesiac said:

 

 is this just another example of Goodell just making up punishments as he goes along?
 

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

The post I quoted was from about two hours ago.

It doesn't have dates for the additional workouts though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

People can only react to things they know about.

And yet when I react to the NFL plans that are publicly announced you tell me that I'm acting like I know everything that's happening behind closed doors. 

How are we supposed to react to things that we DON'T know about?

Which is it?

The notion that the Titans decision making on their own is what can possibly "bring this season down" is absolutely laughable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL will fine the team $2-4m and maybe take a draft pick if they can prove the team itself was negligent. They will NEVER forfeit the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

This sounds like the kind of thing that gets floated so as to make the official punishment sound like a middle-of-the-road approach.  Just a guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Giving the Titans a loss means giving the Bills a win.  I'm not sure how you can award the Bills a win for not playing a game but make the Steelers play three road games in a row to play a makeup game.  

Punish the Titans all you want but this doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

:ptts:  there’s no crying in football

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Hagen said:

I think that is being overly generous to Tennessee.  They intentionally circumvented the rules after they already had 10+ positive tests including coaches and staff. No other team has had a situation nearly as severe as the one in Tennessee prior to 9/30 and they still ignored the rules.  Not to mention the reports that they were not wearing masks and contact trackers prior.

Besides, "other teams do it too" is not a good enough reason not to punish any team caught not following protocols.

 

Where did I say not to punish them?  Of course they should be punished.  I'm just not on board with forfeits which many have been calling for.  No amount of protocols instituted by the NFL can completely control this virus.  Yes the Titans were incredibly stupid and should be penalized but they were also unlucky as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the Florio story, it is rumored that the league has video with the Titans not wearing masks at all. I don’t know from where or for long, but the optics are terrible. 

And if you want to punish a team, don’t fine them, take the money from the next season’s salary cap (although the NFLPA would probably scream bloody murder).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

To add to the Florio story, it is rumored that the league has video with the Titans not wearing masks at all. I don’t know from where or for long, but the optics are terrible. 

And if you want to punish a team, don’t fine them, take the money from the next season’s salary cap (although the NFLPA would probably scream bloody murder).

This will absolutely not happen exactly because of the reason you put. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

To add to the Florio story, it is rumored that the league has video with the Titans not wearing masks at all. I don’t know from where or for long, but the optics are terrible. 

And if you want to punish a team, don’t fine them, take the money from the next season’s salary cap (although the NFLPA would probably scream bloody murder).

In 2012 the NFL reduced the salary cap for both the Cowboys and Washington as punishment for frontloading contracts during the uncapped year. The reduced amount was then distributed to the rest of the teams in the league as additional cap space. So there is at least precedence for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

Yes, but it is also maybe a bit simplistic and reactionary, even if justified. The Titans appear to legitimately deserve criticism and punishment here, but I will bet my house there are other teams that have broken similar rules, or who would in the same situation. Apparently, the Falcons, Patriots and Chiefs seem to have dealt with it the right way. But do we really know that? Do we know they didn't also hold unauthorized practices and simply got lucky with COVID? I'd still argue in favor of severe punishment for Tennessee if these stories are accurate, but I would caution in thinking they are the only ones. Not directed at you, just jumped in from your bolded.

Does that matter?  If someone drives drunk and kills a 6 year old kid is "a lot of people drive drunk and just get lucky that there weren't any kids near the road at the time" an adequate defense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FreeBaGeL said:

Does that matter?  If someone drives drunk and kills a 6 year old kid is "a lot of people drive drunk and just get lucky that there weren't any kids near the road at the time" an adequate defense?

Nope and that isn't what I was trying to say. I've clarified already that the Titans should be punished. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

In 2012 the NFL reduced the salary cap for both the Cowboys and Washington as punishment for frontloading contracts during the uncapped year. The reduced amount was then distributed to the rest of the teams in the league as additional cap space. So there is at least precedence for it.

The Strunks are billionaires. A $10 million fine is the equivalent of $1000 to most regular people. A multi-million fine is little more than a parking ticket to NFL teams and owners. If the point of a harsh punishment is to hit them hard and make them think about what they did, the money part of it isn’t really a big deterrent, even if it was the largest fine in league history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Pats-Broncos moving to Monday.

And yet they haven’t done a thing about the Titans/Bills yet? Makes no sense unless they think it’s more likely than not it won’t be played this week (or maybe holding out hope for Tuesday).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t move it because of the Bills Thursday game. Unless they move that too and open up that can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

And yet they haven’t done a thing about the Titans/Bills yet? Makes no sense unless they think it’s more likely than not it won’t be played this week (or maybe holding out hope for Tuesday).

Yes they have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Percentage chance the Titans/Bills is played this week? 10? In a bind with Allen/Brady as my QBs in one league <_<

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

And Bills-Titans, Bills-Chiefs moved too.

I can live with a Tuesday game against a short handed opponent with the next game on Sunday.  Not ideal, but ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Percentage chance the Titans/Bills is played this week? 10? In a bind with Allen/Brady as my QBs in one league <_<

Ouch. I think I’d go Brady. The difference between his projection and Allen’s can’t possibly offset the chance the game doesn’t get played.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Percentage chance the Titans/Bills is played this week? 10? In a bind with Allen/Brady as my QBs in one league <_<

I would start Brady, personally.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pipes said:

Agreed more people should be directing their anger towards the NFL for their "plan" as opposed to the Titans.  At the time of this violation the Titan's still had a game to prepare for so unrealistic of them to sit around and do nothing all week while the Steelers were practicing and preparing like a normal week.  I get it the Titan's violated the protocols but other teams have too.  Titan's just had worse luck than those teams. 

 

11 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Giving the Titans a loss means giving the Bills a win.  I'm not sure how you can award the Bills a win for not playing a game but make the Steelers play three road games in a row to play a makeup game.  

Punish the Titans all you want but this doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

 

Life's not fair.

Some teams have to travel across the country for road games while others can drive there in a couple hours on a bus.  Some teams get to play the Broncos with their 3rd string QB and some teams have to play them with their starter.  Last year some teams had to face Patrick Mahomes and some teams got to play against Matt Moore.  Some teams can get into the playoffs at 8-8 and others have to be 11-5.  Some teams get 4 games against NFC East opponents and others have to play 4 games against the NFC West.

It's just circumstance, and it's always been a huge part of the game, for reasons far more trivial than people's health and the ability of the season to continue on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just promo'd the KC/Buf game for Thursday so what is going to happen they sure are not playing that on Thursday now.

Do they switch another game into Thursday ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dez said:

They just promo'd the KC/Buf game for Thursday so what is going to happen they sure are not playing that on Thursday now.

Do they switch another game into Thursday ?

Please say that they will cancel Thursday games forever. Please say they will cancel Thursday games forever. Please please.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to pick Singletary or Duke Johnson. I hope we get some more clarity. I am also still terrified we hear there is a KC outbreak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dez said:

They just promo'd the KC/Buf game for Thursday so what is going to happen they sure are not playing that on Thursday now.

Do they switch another game into Thursday ?

Not sure how they can. What I read said if there are more positives for the Titans they’ll move that Tuesday game sometime else and move the Bills/Chiefs game back to Thursday night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schefty just tweeted.  Titans/Bills officially moved to Tuesday, will play if no more positive tests before then (lol fat chance of that happening).

I would assume this means Bills/Chiefs gets moved back to Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Not sure how they can. What I read said if there are more positives for the Titans they’ll move that Tuesday game sometime else and move the Bills/Chiefs game back to Thursday night.

This game should just be cancelled or forfeited if it can't go on Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This game should just be cancelled or forfeited if it can't go on Tuesday.

Give the Titans a loss but the NFL can’t give the Bills a free win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

This game should just be cancelled or forfeited if it can't go on Tuesday.

I wonder if there is a caveat to the plan of moving the Bills/Chiefs back to Thursday about when the positives occur? What if the Titans all test negative the next few days but then test positive Monday morning? Surely they wouldn’t then move the Bills/Chiefs to Thursday at that point giving the Bills only 2 days to prep, right?

Another thought: what would the NFL do if they reschedule the game to Week 18, the Bills lock up their playoff spot before that, and the Bills players decide to refuse to play the game? Obviously the Bills players wouldn’t get paid, but what could the NFL realistically do to them other than not pay them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pipes said:

Give the Titans a loss but the NFL can’t give the Bills a free win.

If you give the Titans a loss, but do not assign a corresponding win to another team, is that still a forfeit, or does the NFL need to come up with a new term for this?

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pipes said:

Give the Titans a loss but the NFL can’t give the Bills a free win.

That's fine.  I don't particularly want my team to get a forfeit win.  I just don't want them to get boned because of some other team's screw-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

I wonder if there is a caveat to the plan of moving the Bills/Chiefs back to Thursday about when the positives occur?

You would like to think that the league has already made this decision and just isn't making it public.  But this is the NFL so who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennessee keeps getting 2 positives a day.  So if they get another one tomorrow is the game then off ?  Do they create a week 18 and move the playoffs back ?  They will never be able to play it before a week 18 if they don't get it in this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll share what we are doing again this weekend and I actually have a couple players in the TEN/BUF game, AJBrown 

I Start AJBrown however, if the Tuesday game is cancelled we have a new rule for owners of players either affected by CV19 or play for a team where the game they are scheduled to play is cancelled or moved, here is what we do. Tee Higgins is my WR5 let's say, he is my fall back. We are not playing an all out Best Ball and even if Higgins were to have 100 yds and 2 TDs, if I start AJBrown and he plays Tuesday, even if he has 1 catch for 12 yds, that's what I get. 

That should be pretty clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Quoting this to make it 6th hand.

The league and the other teams don't the idea of losing billions of dollars because of a team being so reckless.  The are kinda funny that way.

And this has been such a catastrophe that it throws the whole season in doubt.  Titans could be considered to be getting off light.

-QG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.