What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (3 Viewers)

Deamon said:
What are people's thoughts on being able to use Covid spots for Pitt/Tenn players?  There's a debate going on in my league about it.

- One side is that its an unexpected bye that they didn't have time to prepare for, so let them put all steelers and titans in covid spots and not drop anyone to pick new players up.

- Other side is to treat this as a bye and not give an advantage to those who have pitt/tenn players since they will never have to deal with a bye.

Thoughts?
I decided it's their bye.  And additional postponement for those teams and they would be eligible.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
Bubbles were incredibly expensive for NBA and NHL - like $150m and $90m respectively I believe

-QG
That does sound incredibly expensive... UNTIL you realize the NFL generates anywhere between $15-20 BILLION a season. The average NFL franchise is estimated to be worth $3+ BILLION. The most valuable NFL franchise(Cowboys) is approaching a value of $6 BILLION. That's all under the current broadcast/streaming contracts, so those numbers are set to jump significantly during the new CBA they just signed. 

Money is the reason, I'll agree with you. Same reason they wouldn't alter the schedule and fought so hard not lose pre-season games. And I fully realize they won't make as much this season as they would in a normal year. But in the grand scheme of things.... the NFL could easily afford multiple bubbles AND to change the schedule. It was just cheaper for them not to. Plain and simple. Keep in mind only a few months ago the owners got together and decided to change the rules so Kroenke could borrow $500 Million. 

Oh I agree but NFL 32-team bubble for 4 months would be like what $2B?  The home gate doesn't matter nearly as much to the NFL compared to NBA and especially NHL.  They could afford it but I could never imagine them doing it.

-QG

Anarchy99 said:
Any opinions on whether the COVID situation with Trump might lead to more restrictions / a more conservative approach on how the NFL will handle things moving forward (and therefore potentially lead to more postponements in the coming weeks)? I haven't really thought it through to have much of an opinion just yet.
Not really. Seems like the NFL owners have decided to take the path that costs them the least in this situation. Other than contact tracing bracelets I haven't been surprised by any of the procedures put in place that so many people were "Ooh"ing and "Ah"ing about during "Hard Knocks" this season. It all seemed to have pretty much been social distancing and hand wash stations imo. They have been testing the players, but how could they not? Given that teams are traveling with ~150 guys on planes and smashing into 50 other guys that have been flying with ~150 guys traveling on planes ever week I even question how much use the contact tracing bracelets even are by the time a guy test positive.

culdeus said:
Imo they should have thrown an all bye week in early December or something. Let anyone makeup a game then 
I have been saying since before the new CBA was being negotiated that for the health and longevity of the players AND for the quality of the product for the NFL that players really shouldn't be playing games for more than 4 straight weeks. That was pre-Covid, just based on injuries and CTE. This would have been the perfect season to give the teams more bye weeks so that you could more easily adjust schedules if there were covid related complications. Right now with only a few days to recover and prepare the THU games are pretty wretched to watch and the NFL won't even change that. That's not a covid problem, it's just a greed problem.

Most fans shouted me down and pointed out what a "disaster" it was back when the NFL had two bye weeks for a season. I'm sure plenty of those folks were pushing for this "ostrich plan" of just having the schedule the same as a regular year, because 2020 is obviously a regular year in so many ways, and hope nobody tests positive all season long despite what has already happened in MLB. It would be one thing if they had no idea what to expect, but they already saw what happened in MLB and decided that was the best model to use.

Oh I agree but NFL 32-team bubble for 4 months would be like what $2B?  The home gate doesn't matter nearly as much to the NFL compared to NBA and especially NHL.  They could afford it but I could never imagine them doing it.

-QG
Well, there you get into a situation where they should have changed the schedule to something different like the NBA did. Probably a shorter regular season with an extended playoffs. But that would have "cost" the owners money so they certainly weren't going to do that if they spent nearly a month complaining about missing out on broadcasting pre-season games.

Bottom line, NFL owners could have afforded nearly any option but chose the path of least resistance and what would cost them the least in the short term. IMO the nightmare scenario hasn't even played out where KC gets 2-3 OL with positive tests right before a game and are forced to trot out practice guys to protect Mahomes. Mahomes plays during a primetime game and has a devastating injury during the beating he takes and that takes him a year or more to recover. I'm using Mahomes in this example but would it could be any of the young stars in the league. Lamar Jackson. Any of them really.

Well, there you get into a situation where they should have changed the schedule to something different like the NBA did. Probably a shorter regular season with an extended playoffs. But that would have "cost" the owners money so they certainly weren't going to do that if they spent nearly a month complaining about missing out on broadcasting pre-season games.

Bottom line, NFL owners could have afforded nearly any option but chose the path of least resistance and what would cost them the least in the short term. IMO the nightmare scenario hasn't even played out where KC gets 2-3 OL with positive tests right before a game and are forced to trot out practice guys to protect Mahomes. Mahomes plays during a primetime game and has a devastating injury during the beating he takes and that takes him a year or more to recover. I'm using Mahomes in this example but would it could be any of the young stars in the league. Lamar Jackson. Any of them really.
With that idiot Bobby Hart I worry about Burrow all the time.

-QG

Another Titans player and 2 more staffers tested positive today. Next week’s Titans/Bills game is starting to look very much in question. 

Moving this week’s game was one thing, but now that the Titans have filled in their bye week with this week’s game, there’s really no way to makeup Titans/Bills if they can’t play next week.

Even if they move the game just to Monday or Tuesday, that would create a mess because the Bills are scheduled to play the Chiefs on TNF that week which obviously would have to be moved.

The situation is rapidly deteriorating. This isn’t like baseball where you can makeup games on off days or by having double headers. The NFL chose to stick to one bye week instead of going to 2 this year to provide more flexibility and that’s about to create a very big potential problem.

I'm spitballing here and others might have better info than myself. I saw Humphries has a "Covid" designation on my league site but then others like Corey Davis as an example DOES NOT have that designation because they don't actually have it like Humphries apparently does. 

If Humphries test positive, he works closely or in close contact with the other receivers and skill position players...just saying that I am leery that the Titans can take the field next week and that is when things get real serious for the NFL. 

Super Bowl in May? 

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tennessee (3-0) this week placed starting nose tackle DaQuan Jones, linebacker Kamalei Correa, long-snapper Beau Brinkley, tight end Tommy Hudson (practice squad), receivers Adam Humphries, Cameron Batson (practice squad) and cornerback Kristian Fulton on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, which is dedicated to players who have either contracted the virus or have come in close contact with someone who has tested positive."

-NY Post clip

And if I am Andy Reid I say I'm not feeling well and I've been in constant contact with my QB preparing for this week, we will both have to sit this one out and I turn the head set over to any one of my assistants and personally drive Mahomes out of there in an unmarked black SUV...

It's Saturday and players are still testing positive, like new cases and the Titans are going to play a football game next weekend?

We are less than 8 days from them playing the Buffalo Bills...and what if they continue to trickle a couple new cases every week? 

What if 1-2 Titans test positive on Tue/Wed? 

Another Titans player and 2 more staffers tested positive today. Next week’s Titans/Bills game is starting to look very much in question. 

Moving this week’s game was one thing, but now that the Titans have filled in their bye week with this week’s game, there’s really no way to makeup Titans/Bills if they can’t play next week.

Even if they move the game just to Monday or Tuesday, that would create a mess because the Bills are scheduled to play the Chiefs on TNF that week which obviously would have to be moved.

The situation is rapidly deteriorating. This isn’t like baseball where you can makeup games on off days or by having double headers. The NFL chose to stick to one bye week instead of going to 2 this year to provide more flexibility and that’s about to create a very big potential problem.
That was a bad decision IMO.  I don't have any idea what the league is going to do with Titans-Bills now they've established a precedent of rescheduling games.  That game can't be rescheduled for the reasons you noted.

It's Saturday and players are still testing positive, like new cases and the Titans are going to play a football game next weekend?

We are less than 8 days from them playing the Buffalo Bills...and what if they continue to trickle a couple new cases every week? 

What if 1-2 Titans test positive on Tue/Wed? 
Yeah the slippery slope is scary for sure. I *think* there might be room to say that if the rest of the team is still showing negative that they promote guys to the active roster and keep balling. But that is assuming other teams aren't impacted and this is more or less a one-off. I'd bet against that. 

Waiting for another Minnesota report. That's the one I'm really concerned with right now. 

So the NFL is saying the Patriots will play this weekend and that this is an isolated case...are they serious?

I don't want to get myself in trouble, @Joe Bryant has asked us to stay on point... don't see how they can allow the Patriots to take the field...seems like the moral compass here is pointing at 11:50 instead of 12:00, yes/no?

So the NFL is saying the Patriots will play this weekend and that this is an isolated case...are they serious?

I don't want to get myself in trouble, @Joe Bryant has asked us to stay on point... don't see how they can allow the Patriots to take the field...seems like the moral compass here is pointing at 11:50 instead of 12:00, yes/no?
Patriots were scheduled to leave for KC at about 1 ET; trip now is on standby as they await more test results and guidance from the NFL.

Per  Schefter

Yeah it’s not isolated if he’s been practicing with the team all week.  Over/under how many Patriots test positive next week?  Irresponsible to let them play with a positive test so late in the week

yeah this is falling apart
I'm not sure who the league is kidding. This is a guy who Belichick said is in the building more than anyone else, first in last out. Gotta put these guys health first and do he right thing here. Especially with two of the more at risk head coaches out there. 

Yeah it’s not isolated if he’s been practicing with the team all week.  Over/under how many Patriots test positive next week?  Irresponsible to let them play with a positive test so late in the week
Not saying it's right or wrong, but didn't the Falcons play last week after a positive test on a Friday?

I'm not sure who the league is kidding. This is a guy who Belichick said is in the building more than anyone else, first in last out. Gotta put these guys health first and do he right thing here. Especially with two of the more at risk head coaches out there. 
Don't know who said isolated, but the Patriots statement linked above is clear that this player who tested positive last night was around *several* players and staff this week, so they are being crystal clear that it is not necessarily isolated, even though someone else used the word isolated. Anyway it's snowballing.

With how many Titans players are coming up positive a week out now, no way can they let the Patriots play tomorrow.

That means nothing. The incubation period of the disease is 2-14 days--with 5-7 days being the average.  I wouldn't expect that many positive tests until Monday or Tuesday based on exactly when Cam went from being incubated to being positive.   Problem with a qb testing positive is that he pretty much practices with the full offense.  If I'm the Chiefs (a team with Super Bowl aspirations)--I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable playing a game that could lead to our season being derailed due to an outbreak. The  individual teams should also have some input in regards to their comfort levels. 

Saints News: Saints create bubble-like Training Camp

>>As @peter_king reported in today's #FMIA column, the #Saints are creating a mini-bubble environment at a downtown hotel for training camp. About 150 of the 180 team employees/players will end up in the hotel through the first week of September. The hotel is not open for guests. <<

Some players such as Drew Brees didn't stay in the bubble - I'm guessing he has a nice house and wanted to be with his family.  But they say these mini-bubles weren't feasible or were too expensive. Time to revisit or too late?

Also, contact tracing that wasn't 24/7 was bound to fail.

I realize you hate the Patriots and that's coloring your perception but the Falcons had a player (Terrell) test positive and the team went through this last week.

Rest of team tested negative.

Game played.

No issues. 

So please chill with the moral compass melodrama :lol:  

I realize you hate the Patriots and that's coloring your perception but the Falcons had a player (Terrell) test positive and the team went through this last week.

Game played.

No issues. 

What happened last week has zero bearing to what might happen this week.   Seven days ago--the Titans situation looked completely different than it does now too.   Are you suggesting that it's safe to assume that just because one person on one team didn't spread the disease to teammates--that every time moving forward that will be the case?  If that's not your stance--then bringing up how lucky the NFL was in regards to the Falcons situation means nothing.  

Game played.

No issues. 

That was before what happened with the Titans.  And the fact it’s the starting QB who’s exposed to a lot more people than a CB it’s a slightly different situation.  

I didn’t realize I was in the Cam thread when I posted it but I’ll repost here. The NFL should consider temporarily shutting things down before this gets totally out of control. They won’t of course, but it would probably be smart to do so. They can survive a two week shutdown more so than trying to do what they are currently doing. 

What happened last week has zero bearing to what might happen this week.   Seven days ago--the Titans situation looked completely different than it does now too.   Are you suggesting that it's safe to assume that just because one person on one team didn't spread the disease to teammates--that every time moving forward that will be the case?  If that's not your stance--then bringing up how lucky the NFL was in regards to the Falcons situation means nothing.  
Yes, and it is entirely possible the NFL and all of us will look back on the Falcons game as a mistake as well. 

Game played.

No issues. 

Definitely not meant directly at the Pats, but I stand by my statement. It was aimed at Goodell, the 32 owners and all the Advertisers and people who make money. There is more going on in the NFL than just the Patriots so please chill 😉

Yes, and it is entirely possible the NFL and all of us will look back on the Falcons game as a mistake as well. 
Totally was a mistake. They got lucky and dodged a bullet. Using that stroke of luck as a barometer of what to do moving forward is just asinine in my opinion 

Definitely not meant directly at the Pats, but I stand by my statement. It was aimed at Goodell, the 32 owners and all the Advertisers and people who make money. There is more going on in the NFL than just the Patriots so please chill 😉
Oh my bad... I must have missed your outrage when this exact same thing happened last week to a non patriot.

Please feel free to share the link to that week's moral compass post. :popcorn:

Let's not add gaslighting to your list of offenses here. 

Users who are viewing this thread