What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ίβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ β€‹βš½β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ EURO 2020 βš½β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ ​πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ίβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ People are saying THIS is the new greatest moment in sports history (1 Viewer)

Two kids has left me able to watch way less soccer than in past years, so I'm not going to even attempt to figure out starting XI's, but here are some brief thoughts about the teams in Group A.

Italy-- Roberto Mancini has called up a whopping 80 players since the start of the pandemic.Β  So he's looked at a lot of guys to get his 23.Β  Italy appears to be a fashionable dark horse pick, at least relatively.Β  And it makes sense, as this is a well-balanced team, albeit one lacking real top wattage star power.Β  Donnarumma is one of the top keepers in the competition (it saddens me that my attempt to call him Donna Summer never really caught on).Β  The defense skews a bit old, with Bonucci and Chiellini still on the team.Β  Florenzi also isn't a spring chicken for a full-back.Β  The midfield appears to have young legs to put around the likes of smooth passing maestros Veratti and Jorginho.Β  Ciro Immobile has been a low key consistent goal scorer for club and country (with the exception of a nightmare term at Dortmund) for a long time.Β  The Azurri will be favored to win this group.Β  My guess is that they're in PKs fairly early in the knockout rounds (because they're prone to the goals drying up) and then it's a coin flip how far they go.Β Β 

Switzerland--Β  The Swiss have, with little fanfare, hung around as a top 10/top 15 team in the world for a number of years now.Β  They are notoriously hard to break down and play a disciplined, defensive style.Β  Jann Sommer is an underrated keeper.Β  The Swiss are stocked with Bundesliga players and while they lack stars (Liverpool reserve Xhedran Shaqiri, aka Alpine Messi, is still probably their most notable player), there are still a lot of solid players.Β  Fabian Schar at CB and Ricardo Rodiriquez at LB may have never lived up to some pretty high expectations, but both have carved out solid European club careers.Β  Breel Embolo is a similar story at FWD and he and Harris Seferovic can be a sneaky dangerous strike partnership.Β  Steven Zuber adds a little silk in midfield.Β  Granit Xhaka can be alternately thrilling and infuriating at the 6 spot.Β  Switzerland almost always makes it out of the group stage and never makes much noise afterwards.

Turkey--Β  OK, I'm not going to pretend to know more than a handful of Turkish players.Β  Burak Yilmaz has been around forever at striker, but he's coming off perhaps his best year of club football ever, scoring 16 in 28 and helping lead Lille to a shock Ligue 1 title over PSG in France.Β  Hakan Calhanoglu is primarily known as one of the best free kick takers in the world, but he'll also be pulling the strings in midfield.Β  Premiere League fans might be familiar with Leicester defender Caglar Soyuncu.

Wales -- Maybe it's just me, but I get nervous when my best player is openly contemplating retiring from football and pursuing a professional golf career in advance of a major tournament.Β  Gareth Bale still flashes elite level talent when he can be arsed to do so.Β  But he is the farthest thing from a consistent difference maker at this stage in his career.Β  With that said, he's rarely seemed as disengaged for his country as he often does at club level.Β  And big stars can take teams on big runs in these types of tournaments.Β  Wales is otherwise and well organized, primarily defensive team.Β  Daniel James, who can't quite seem to break through at Man United, is probably their other big offensive talent.Β  Aaron Ramsey is past his born-on date in midfleld, but he does have a knack for popping up late in the box, a la Frank Lampard, to score goals.Β  Wales have a number of defenders who are That Guys in English football.Β  Guys who have made at least a small name in the Prem and/or the Championship.Β Β 

My best guess:

Italy 7 pts

Switzerland 5 pts

Turkey - 2 pts

Wales 1 pt

Already some classic drama going on in the French camp, as if bringing back Benzema afterΒ 5+ years in the sin-bin isn't enough.Β  Giroud scored two late goals in the last friendly against Bulgaria on Tuesday, and then remarked after the game that he would have scored earlier but wasn't getting any service.Β  Of course, Mbappe takes that as a personal insult.Β  They are truly their own worst enemies.

One other great tidbit - Griezman is apparently a Football Manager wonderkid, just won the Champions League with a Newcastle team (@McBokonon) led by Mbappe, whom they acquired for E134mil.
Not to mention Benzema calling himself an F1 car and Giroud a Go Kart....

Not quite Zlatan level smack talk, but still makes for an awkward reunion at camp.

Wales -- Maybe it's just me, but I get nervous when my best player is openly contemplating retiring from football and pursuing a professional golf career in advance of a major tournament.Β  Gareth Bale still flashes elite level talent when he can be arsed to do so.Β  But he is the farthest thing from a consistent difference maker at this stage in his career.Β  With that said, he's rarely seemed as disengaged for his country as he often does at club level.Β  And big stars can take teams on big runs in these types of tournaments.Β  Wales is otherwise and well organized, primarily defensive team.Β  Daniel James, who can't quite seem to break through at Man United, is probably their other big offensive talent.Β  Aaron Ramsey is past his born-on date in midfleld, but he does have a knack for popping up late in the box, a la Frank Lampard, to score goals.Β  Wales have a number of defenders who are That Guys in English football.Β  Guys who have made at least a small name in the Prem and/or the Championship.Β Β 
James seems to do better for Wales then he does at United.Β  His pace does give opponents fits and I don't think teams pack it in vs Wales. He also seems to be more confortable on the left which is where he plays for Wales and on the right for United.

To spice things up a bit in this thread, I'll be wagering on pretty much every game.Β  Have a number of futures bets already placed.

Today:

Turkey/Italy o2 (-140)

Turkey youngest squad in the tourney, have been very helter skelter.Β  To qualify they dominated and only allowed 3 goals. In league of nations play, they allowed something like 18 goals.Β  Italy not very prolific in the attack for sure, but I think they'll get a few here today.Β  Turkey has a number of household names on their team, as most of their starting 11 have played in one of the big 5 leagues in Europe instead of just super league (basically Gala, Fener or Besiktats).Β  Either way, I think this games gets some goals in it but a rebate if lands on 2 sounds worst case scenerio

g'luck if playing.

Group B should be shorter.

Belgium:Β  De Bruyne is missing at least the first game.Β  The backline is collectively past their respective primes (and none of their primes were as high as Vincent Kompany).Β  They don't really play modern fullbacks.Β  Axel Witsel is also dinged and he's been a near constant in their midfield for a decade.Β  I don't trust Roberto Martinez as a big game coach.Β  But they're the number one rated team in the world right now.Β  Lukaku is now widely accepted as one of the very best strikers in the world.Β  I'd argue that with Eden Hazard's disappointing Real MEHdrid spell, the world kind of views this as Lukaku's team now and the pressure will accordingly be on him.Β  Assuming that Hazard, Lukaku and Mertens will finish chances, which seems a fair assumption, I think the most important player for Belgium might be Youri Tielemans.Β  His journey from 15 year old wonderkid, to disappointment, to extremely solid EPL midfielder with Leicester has been compelling.Β  He's somehow underrated considering he was once considered the next big thing.Β  I think other favorites, like France, are more solid, but if De Bruyne gets healthy enough to help, who knows.Β  They certainly have the talent.Β Β 

Denmark: The Danes have a sprinkling of true European talents sprikled throughout a team that otherwise features stars of their domestic league.Β  Simon Kjaer and Andereas Christiansen, from Milan and Chelsea respectively, will anchor central defense.Β  Fred Emil Hjoberg (a guy who hasn't quite been the player I expected) will pull strings from deep in midfield while Christian Erickson (who is still CHRISTIAN ERICKSON for Denmark) will delight those of us who still love a pure #10.Β  I'm hoping for a big tournament for him as he's a big personal favorite of mine over the last decade.Β  Youssef Poulsen, who has been kind of productive for RB Leipzig over the years despite looking like Bambi on Ice, will be the striker.Β  But Kasper Dolberg and that guy you still can't believe is on Barcelona (Martin Braithwaite) might pop up too.Β  This is a feisty squad in the first XI, but I think it's pretty thin and Denmark never quite plays as well as I might expect.Β  They should get through a relatively easy group though.

Finland:Β  They're just so happy to be here!Β  Teemo Pukki is joining the party.Β  That's about the extent of my knowledge of this team.Β  They are very, very short on star power.Β  Truly an eclectic mix of Finnish league, slavic leagues, MLS, and the odd top league player.Β  Not much else to say.Β  I expect they'll get a draw or maybe two for a feel good story, but wouldn't expect more than that.

Russia:Β  They sometimes surprise in big tournaments.Β  They're a team that always is predominately loaded with players from their domestic league.Β  This year is no exception with only Denis Cheryshev (Valencia) and Aleksey Miranchuk (Atalanta) playing in a big European league.Β  Russia's biggest star is Zenit's Artem Dzuyba with Cheryshev probably being Robin to Dzuyba's Batman.Β  I think it's almost impossible to guess how they'll do.Β  They made a run last time despite being in pretty bad form coming into the 2016 tournament.Β  The team is in some senses an extension of Zenit St. Petersburg, who are the current dominant team in that league.Β Β 

Always a tough call when your two favorite (non-America) nations play each other, let alone in the first match of the tournament....but my allegiance with always lie with the Azzurri.

Still think I'm picking France to win this thing. Their A game is just better than everyone else'sΒ  and it seems like they're healthy. (Plus they're adding Benzema back into the mix). Kante is in top form right now, so if Pogba is anything close to where he was at the WC, I think they're the best squad by a fair amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
why did i read the rules? Β i'm more confused now. Β anyone care to cliff note them for me? Β mostly the transfer and the rules regarding picking a team. Β is it every day? Β every round?

why did i read the rules? Β i'm more confused now. Β anyone care to cliff note them for me? Β mostly the transfer and the rules regarding picking a team. Β is it every day? Β every round?
You can be extremely active with this - making changes nearly every gameday - or much more passive, set-it-and-forget-it.Β  I usually start out planning to be very involved and active, and that falls by the wayside after the first week at most.Β  By the quarterfinals, I'm starting guys who were eliminated from the tournament a week earlier.

Good guide in the Athletic:Β https://theathletic.com/2634390/2021/06/06/euro-2020-fantasy-guide-how-to-play-the-limitless-chip-and-should-you-back-belgium-on-certain-days/?article_source=search&search_query=holly shand

Two kids has left me able to watch way less soccer than in past years, so I'm not going to even attempt to figure out starting XI's, but here are some brief thoughts about the teams in Group A.

Italy-- Roberto Mancini has called up a whopping 80 players since the start of the pandemic.Β  So he's looked at a lot of guys to get his 23.Β  Italy appears to be a fashionable dark horse pick, at least relatively.Β  And it makes sense, as this is a well-balanced team, albeit one lacking real top wattage star power.Β  Donnarumma is one of the top keepers in the competition (it saddens me that my attempt to call him Donna Summer never really caught on).Β  The defense skews a bit old, with Bonucci and Chiellini still on the team.Β  Florenzi also isn't a spring chicken for a full-back.Β  The midfield appears to have young legs to put around the likes of smooth passing maestros Veratti and Jorginho.Β  Ciro Immobile has been a low key consistent goal scorer for club and country (with the exception of a nightmare term at Dortmund) for a long time.Β  The Azurri will be favored to win this group.Β  My guess is that they're in PKs fairly early in the knockout rounds (because they're prone to the goals drying up) and then it's a coin flip how far they go.Β Β 

Switzerland--Β  The Swiss have, with little fanfare, hung around as a top 10/top 15 team in the world for a number of years now.Β  They are notoriously hard to break down and play a disciplined, defensive style.Β  Jann Sommer is an underrated keeper.Β  The Swiss are stocked with Bundesliga players and while they lack stars (Liverpool reserve Xhedran Shaqiri, aka Alpine Messi, is still probably their most notable player), there are still a lot of solid players.Β  Fabian Schar at CB and Ricardo Rodiriquez at LB may have never lived up to some pretty high expectations, but both have carved out solid European club careers.Β  Breel Embolo is a similar story at FWD and he and Harris Seferovic can be a sneaky dangerous strike partnership.Β  Steven Zuber adds a little silk in midfield.Β  Granit Xhaka can be alternately thrilling and infuriating at the 6 spot.Β  Switzerland almost always makes it out of the group stage and never makes much noise afterwards.

Turkey--Β  OK, I'm not going to pretend to know more than a handful of Turkish players.Β  Burak Yilmaz has been around forever at striker, but he's coming off perhaps his best year of club football ever, scoring 16 in 28 and helping lead Lille to a shock Ligue 1 title over PSG in France.Β  Hakan Calhanoglu is primarily known as one of the best free kick takers in the world, but he'll also be pulling the strings in midfield.Β  Premiere League fans might be familiar with Leicester defender Caglar Soyuncu.

My best guess:

Italy 7 pts

Switzerland 5 pts

Turkey - 2 pts

Wales 1 pt
BarellaΒ is the key to that Italian midfield...

Forza Italia!

Will post full standings and bracket nobody cares about later.Β  Through my sheer lack of knowledge ended up with Spain over Belgium in the Final.

Portugal over Germany for 3rd place

The 2F path to winning it all looks really fun...

-QG

assuming with the time difference folks are dvring so I will use spoilers if I comment on game action

And yeah caustic it is a fun tournament - basically a World Cup with less massive underdog teams populating the bottom of the groups

-QG

Also, why is Kante's ownership so high?Β  Does this game give points for stuff he does not usually get points for?
Just the irresistible lure of N'Golo I think.Β  I don't see any reason to pick a high value defensive midfielder who is highly unlikely to score or assist.Β Β 

Yay, another soccer thread to follow.

P.S. besides for the knucklehead that captained Jorginho, you all have better teams than me:Β Β https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020fantasyfootball/league-leaderboard/39254202

Also, why is Kante's ownership so high?Β  Does this game give points for stuff he does not usually get points for?
I think it comes down to him being pretty cheap andΒ  likely to play a lot of games (and get points for the team stuff like clean sheets).Β Β 

A few minutes into the first match, and I've already made my first lineup mistake.Β  Forgot to sub in Yazici before kickoff.

Yay, another soccer thread to follow.

P.S. besides for the knucklehead that captained Jorginho, you all have better teams than me:Β Β https://gaming.uefa.com/en/uefaeuro2020fantasyfootball/league-leaderboard/39254202

I'm the knucklehead......based on my half-assed review of the rules (and that Athletic article) , it seemed like you can change your captain each day if you dont like how many points they scored. (you just can't go back once you've un-captained someone)

As I said....I was VERY confused.

Whatever, its free....leave me alone

This will be the talking points coming out of the tournament: "Unnatural position" and "clear and obvious error".

The former is part of the new rule interpretation - so I guess every official will call it differently.
This is when you know the rule is bad.

I'm the knucklehead......based on my half-assed version of the rules, it seemed like you can change your captain each day if you dont like how many points they scored.

As I said....I was VERY confused.

Whatever, its free....leave me alone
I think you can change your captain.

And, for you other knuckleheads, I think you can sub out anyone for a player who has not yet played.

You just have to wait for the points to be totaled each day. Β So, before tomorrow's games, you can change your captain, and make subs (but not transfers).

Users who are viewing this thread