What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (1 Viewer)

From a very young age, basketball players are taught to take away an opponent's dominant hand on the dribble.  Even after Robben's cut-inside has achieved full meme status, opposing defenders are still giving him the left foot.
that was all I could think while watching that.

also- that's the guy CP is supposed to replace?! (according to one rumor putting him BM).

I love the 70 million numbers for CP. I read today that Isco is available for 70 million. I have high hopes for Wonderboy, but he’s no Isco. 
I've always read into that kind of number as being padded with US marketing $$.... but yeah- comparing numbers, or even just looking at who he's supposed to replace in a Hazard or whoever at Liverpool- tough comparison to live up to.

I love the 70 million numbers for CP. I read today that Isco is available for 70 million. I have high hopes for Wonderboy, but he’s no Isco. 
I find the 70 million almost ludicrous for CP.  Even in todays bloated market prices, at his age and potential, he should be in the 35 million range with maybe a sell on percentage.

By the way, I saw a great tweet today showing what is going to be lost because US Soccer does not accept solidarity payments.  The club in Pennsylvania that Pulisic played for would normally receive $675k from a transfer of $70m.  That is an insane amount of money left on the table for a tiny club.

And FIFA seems to never want to make a ruling on the Yedlin case which could have some ripple effect for both Steffen and Pulisic transfers.

Sky Sports News‏Verified account @SkySportsNews

More

BREAKING: Vorskla Poltava say club cannot guarantee they will be able to play against @Arsenal in the @EuropaLeague tomorrow after venue was moved to Kiev. #SSN

The clock has struck midnight on the midfield trio of Milner, Wijnaldum and Henderson.  Had a feeling they'd get rolled in Paris and so they are.  They'll think they can turn it all around vs Napoli at home to advance, but I bet they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, PSG is getting away with tons of grabs and holds, especially away from the ball and stopping runs as a result. And since none are getting called, they rightfully keep doing it.

If I have this right....

A Athletico and Dortmund are thru, Brugge to Europa

B Barca are through.  Tottenham and Inter battling for 2nd.  Tott has Barca, Inter vs PSV

C Napoli, PSG and Liverpool all still in.  Liverpool has to beat Napoli by +3 to guarantee, but a win with a PSG loss to Crvena gets them in too.  Is that correct?

D Porto and Schalke through.  Europa still up for grabs

E Bayern and Ajax through.  Benfica to Europa

F City through.  Lyon and Shahktar still in.  

G Madrid and Roma through, Europa still up for grabs

H Juventus and United through.  Valencia to Europa

A 2-goal win for Liverpool and I think they go through.
you are correct, damn math (must need to pay more attn to my kid's common core). 

Napoli is +3, Liverpool +1.

1-0 makes them both at +2.  2-0 puts liverpool at +3/Napoli +1

If I have this right....

A Athletico and Dortmund are thru, Brugge to Europa

B Barca are through.  Tottenham and Inter battling for 2nd.  Tott has Barca, Inter vs PSV

C Napoli, PSG and Liverpool all still in.  Liverpool has to beat Napoli by +3 to guarantee, but a win with a PSG loss to Crvena gets them in too.  Is that correct?

D Porto and Schalke through.  Europa still up for grabs

E Bayern and Ajax through.  Benfica to Europa

F City through.  Lyon and Shahktar still in.  

G Madrid and Roma through, Europa still up for grabs

H Juventus and United through.  Valencia to Europa
"Atletico" 

otherwise good

you are correct, damn math (must need to pay more attn to my kid's common core). 

Napoli is +3, Liverpool +1.

1-0 makes them both at +2.  2-0 puts liverpool at +3/Napoli +1
I think Liverpool can go through at 1-0.  Napoli won 1-0 at home.

Tiebreakers:

1. Points in head to head matches:  3-3
  2. Goal Differential in H2H:  both teams at 0
  3. Goals scored in H2H: 1-1
  4. Away goals scored H2H: 0-0
  5. Goal Difference in all Group Matches:  2-2
  6. Goals Scored in all Group Matches:  9-7 in favor of Liverpool

If Napoli score, then Liverpool need to win by 2

A 1-0 win for Liverpool

Should the Reds triumph by a goal at Anfield, they progress ahead of Napoli. They’d be level on points and head-to-head results, but would have more goals scored than the Italians, the next criteria to consult.

Any two-goal win for Liverpool

Think Olympiacos, 2004. Anything such as 2-0, 3-1, 4-2 and so on, or better, will see the Reds progress. They’d be level on points but have a better head-to-head than Napoli.

Any win for the Reds AND a PSG draw

Even a 2-1 win is good enough if PSG only take a point at Red Star. Liverpool, Napoli and PSG would all be on nine points and Klopp’s team would be top of that three-way head-to-head, having taken six points against those sides.

Of course, if Liverpool lose, and PSG lose - then Liverpool are out of Europa also...

But, right now, they are 2nd favorite to win Europa League (behind Chelsea), per 538.

Spurs are 5th favorite   :bag:

Per Oddschecker, PSG are about 90% to go through, Napoli are 58% and Liverpool are 52%.
538 have similar percentages:

PSG - 78

Napoli - 69

Liverpool - 52

I think this will be a season-defining match for Liverpool, and either allow them to kick on and really challenge City, or fall back to the Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal level and battle for top-4.  Liverpool seem to be struggling for confidence - at least relative to last season - so I think winning a must-win match will help in that regard, and let them regain their swagger.  But if they fail to advance, after also going out early in the Carabao Cup - I think it will be tough to convince themselves they are on the same level as City.

Chelsea are playing at home against PAOK Salonika today, with 10 different field players starting from last Saturday at Wembley.  Of course, my only thought is, why can't Sarri give Kepa a rest?

an embarrassing amount of empty seats.

eta: except in the away section... good on ya, ATL fans.

an embarrassing amount of empty seats.
They will announce a number that won't sound too bad but I think they were expecting a pretty empty house and the actual butts in seats will be probably the lowest of the entire playoffs I would guess. 

RedBull season ticket holders said the team's front office called them this week to make sure they knew when the game was so I think they know they were in trouble with this game.

They will announce a number that won't sound too bad but I think they were expecting a pretty empty house and the actual butts in seats will be probably the lowest of the entire playoffs I would guess. 

RedBull season ticket holders said the team's front office called them this week to make sure they knew when the game was so I think they know they were in trouble with this game.
getting there by car at the tail end of rush-hour is brutal. I've met friends a couple time there who drove- they got there by end of 1st half. the harrison PATH stop is woefully small to handle game-day traffic, but it gets the job done way better than travel by car.

Users who are viewing this thread