What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (9 Viewers)

:jawdrop:  Pereira with the volley upper V!  Keep driving that price up and get yourself a transfer!!!!!

really was a nice goal vs brentford in United's preseason game, 2-1 united in the 53'

I know all soccer players are whiny little ######, but Salt Lake seems to take it to a whole new level. Their guy almost literally threw a ball out of his own box and they went ballistic after VAR ruled correctly for the PK. And they've just been ##### the whole time. 

Fine. Some hyperbole for sure. But does the amount of whining that goes on not bother you?
Depends on which league you're watching. I have a hard time with Central/South American antics. Most European matches? Not at all except for the occasional player.

Well, come on. No player that I've ever seen has ever committed a foul, nor has any teammate. Yet they, themselves, are fouled by an opponent in any interaction, as are their teammates. Am I wrong about that? I'm just reporting what I see.
You’ve just described every sport.

You’ve just described every sport.
But the long drawn-out complaining right in the face of the official doesn't happen in any other sport I know of - not without repercussions. Last night there were at least four or five times where there were multiple players screaming at the referee right in his face and delaying the game for quite a while. They were following him around and simply wouldn't follow his directive to get on with the game. They would've been ejected in any other sport that I've watched. Maybe that's the ref's fault. I don't know. Salt Lake had four yellow cards I believe, but none of them were for arguing or delay of game or whatever you'd call that sort of stuff. 

Admittedly, I don't watch a lot of NBA.  But I do know technical fouls are common enough. So at least there's a penalty for that.
Some people are overly sensitive to any criticisms about soccer.

I think for those that watch the games on a regular basis, typical "arguing" is just taken for granted, and only really noticed if it get egregious.  But, it is similar to what you might see in basketball in particular where I think the players have a word, or two, with the officials all game long.  Players are just looking to influence future calls, more than get the official to change that call - particularly with VAR reviewing many situation now anyway.  And, sometimes, the players congregate to keep the other team from a quick kick.

And, if the arguing gets egregious, or overly demonstrative, the ref has, and will, give a yellow card for dissent.  Thats a pretty regular occurrence - relative to other yellow card offenses.

I believe technical fouls are far less common than yellow cards, FWIW.

Over the course of a season, you will see more Technicals than Yellow Cards:

NBA Technical fouls in 20/21: 1734

EPL Yellow Cards 20/21: 1097

But, there are fewer per game, 2.9 YCs to 1.4 technicals.  But that does not really answer the question about how frequently each sport punishes dissent.  I am not sure I can easily find that level of granularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw, I don't like the charging and grouping around the ref at all.

Seems like they cracked down on it a few years back and it's crept back to super lame levels, where every call around the box becomes a giant tea party rave. 

Like the GK 6 seconds thing, such an easy thing to fix. Just call it, ref. If anybody but the captain approaches it's a warning and then a card. 

El Floppo said:
Fwiw, I don't like the charging and grouping around the ref at all.

Seems like they cracked down on it a few years back and it's crept back to super lame levels, where every call around the box becomes a giant tea party rave. 

Like the GK 6 seconds thing, such an easy thing to fix. Just call it, ref. If anybody but the captain approaches it's a warning and then a card. 
:goodposting:

A few years ago I saw a video where several players surrounded the ref to argue a call. He calmly pulled the red out of his pocket and held it at his side.  Everyone backed off.  That ended that.  

Chels vs Villarreal in the Eufa Super Cup (cup winners cup?) at 3:00. 

Is CP even going to play? If he does, will it be as a wingback?

NYC vs Pumas League Cup at 8:00

Chels vs Villarreal in the Eufa Super Cup (cup winners cup?) at 3:00. 

Is CP even going to play? If he does, will it be as a wingback?

He's available but not starting today.

Ziyech, Havertz, Werner up front. It will be interesting if/when they add the Kraken to the mix. Lots of minutes to go around, but the competition is fierce for our boy.

I don't remember what this thing is.

it is just another made up tournament trying to pit MLS and Liga MX teams together.  The premise is kind of a Europa League, where it is teams who did not make the CCL.   

I would much rather the leagues get over with the extended foreplay and just merge.  Fans will buy into that at some point.   This in between stuff is silly and neither the fans nor the teams even care.

The all star game extends this idea with MLS All Stars playing Liga MX All Stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's available but not starting today.

Ziyech, Havertz, Werner up front. It will be interesting if/when they add the Kraken to the mix. Lots of minutes to go around, but the competition is fierce for our boy.
Werner... haven't seen him do a thing so far.

I still think he's primed to knock in a lot of goals, but not sure how all the moving parts will work with Lukaku coming.

64th minute... Kante off for Jorg, Werner off for Mount, Zouma off for Christensen

Users who are viewing this thread