What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (7 Viewers)

Mendy with the incredible acting job here
That was disgusting. How that wasn't sent to VAR for a check on a yellow card we'll never know.
If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called.

Between West Ham's equalizer and Newcastle's winner being called off, VAR had a terrible weekend.

How the replay missed the Palace player shoving the Newcastle player into the keeper before knocking the ball into his own net I'll never understand.

Here’s the problem with VAR (even if I like the system) - Mendy overreacts and essentially forces the 4th official to review. If he either gets up immediately or at least doesn’t make a meal of it and the goal probably stands. But I do think it’s a foul - even if a weak one. Somewhat similar to the foul that was called on Xhaka against Eriksen. The key difference is that I think West Ham still score without the foul but Arsenal don’t get possession of the ball without the foul.
All goals go to VAR so Mendy's reaction really shouldn't affect anything. But since he stays down, they probably took a harder look at it.

But on this I disagree, As I said "If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called." Mendy won the ball and took out the player (yes I see the backfoot dragged but to me that doesn't make a foul on the forward). The foul is called because someone touched a keeper. Goal should have stood.

Refs have been protecting keepers forever - and as long as they are consistent I think I’m ok with it. I do agree since it wasn’t called in real time he shouldn’t have reversed it. He saw it and deemed it inconsequential. I’m just saying on face value it’s a foul and if he called it immediately I’d have no issue.
IMO they are overprotecting keepers and need to scale it back. Half the time if it was a field player doing what the keeper did (minus the hands, obviously) its a foul on the field player. But since its a keeper, its a foul on the opponent.

And that’s what I’m saying about VAR - no way to know but if Mendy gets right up I think it never goes to the ref to review.
The result of the play is a goal, so it goes to review. Or did that change too?

Yeah, they review them all. I’m just saying I think it’s a quick look and goal is good if he doesn’t react the way he did. And when I say never goes to the ref to review I’m talking about VAR sending it to ref to review on the field - not that it wouldn’t go to VAR.

Mendy with the incredible acting job here
That was disgusting. How that wasn't sent to VAR for a check on a yellow card we'll never know.
If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called.

Between West Ham's equalizer and Newcastle's winner being called off, VAR had a terrible weekend.

How the replay missed the Palace player shoving the Newcastle player into the keeper before knocking the ball into his own net I'll never understand.

Here’s the problem with VAR (even if I like the system) - Mendy overreacts and essentially forces the 4th official to review. If he either gets up immediately or at least doesn’t make a meal of it and the goal probably stands. But I do think it’s a foul - even if a weak one. Somewhat similar to the foul that was called on Xhaka against Eriksen. The key difference is that I think West Ham still score without the foul but Arsenal don’t get possession of the ball without the foul.
All goals go to VAR so Mendy's reaction really shouldn't affect anything. But since he stays down, they probably took a harder look at it.

But on this I disagree, As I said "If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called." Mendy won the ball and took out the player (yes I see the backfoot dragged but to me that doesn't make a foul on the forward). The foul is called because someone touched a keeper. Goal should have stood.

Refs have been protecting keepers forever - and as long as they are consistent I think I’m ok with it. I do agree since it wasn’t called in real time he shouldn’t have reversed it. He saw it and deemed it inconsequential. I’m just saying on face value it’s a foul and if he called it immediately I’d have no issue.
IMO they are overprotecting keepers and need to scale it back. Half the time if it was a field player doing what the keeper did (minus the hands, obviously) its a foul on the field player. But since its a keeper, its a foul on the opponent.

I get that but it’s a fine line. Most every side tries to play now but we both still remember 15-20 years ago when the relegation teams would pray for a ball pumped in to the box to abuse the keepers. As long as we don’t get more of that then I’m fine with letting a little more go.

I wonder what the record is for one player assisting another in a single season?

It feels like De Bruyne and Haaland are going to have amazing numbers when this season is over.

I wonder what the record is for one player assisting another in a single season?

It feels like De Bruyne and Haaland are going to have amazing numbers when this season is over.
:goodposting:You put a pure scorer on a team like City with silver platter service coming from all sides and it just becomes silly. Unless a son of a Keane comes out to stop him, the City players may just vie for best assist instead of the Puskas. The guy is getting like 10 touches a game and scoring on 2-3 of them.
In the EPL alone he is at a 1.86 g/90 rate and scoring every 49 mins. 10 goals on 24 shots? DAMN

Elliott and Milner getting overrun. Napoli might as well be playing 11-9 right now -- they're carving through the midfield like it's empty every time they get the ball. Also, Joe Gomez. Oof.

If Thiago gets healthy maybe they right the ship a little bit, but right now it looks like a lost year for LFC. They don't have the workhorse midfielders to make the whole machine go.

Last edited:
well this ****ing rules

======================
https://twitter.com/ESPNFC
ESPN FC
@ESPNFC

When Giovanni Simeone was 13 he got the UCL logo tattooed on his arm, much to the anger and dismay of his parents. His excuse? Promising that he would kiss it when he scores in the competition. Tonight, on his UCL debut, he scored against Liverpool and kissed the tattoo

well this ****ing rules

======================
ESPN FC
@ESPNFC

When Giovanni Simeone was 13 he got the UCL logo tattooed on his arm, much to the anger and dismay of his parents. His excuse? Promising that he would kiss it when he scores in the competition. Tonight, on his UCL debut, he scored against Liverpool and kissed the tattoo

I just realized this is Diego Simeone's son.

Fred consistently with the wrong pass/play - I mean like every time he’s had to make a decision he makes the wrong one - it’s uncanny.

I couldn't tell if his arm was in or not and it bounced off his thigh. Probably the right call but I never know with how the refs call handball these days.

I couldn't tell if his arm was in or not and it bounced off his thigh. Probably the right call but I never know with how the refs call handball these days.

I honestly don’t know if they are supposed to take this in to account but it would never hit his hand/arm if it didn’t come off his leg. It was going to slide under him - I honestly don’t get it and the announcer agrees.

I honestly don’t know if they are supposed to take this in to account but it would never hit his hand/arm if it didn’t come off his leg. It was going to slide under him - I honestly don’t get it and the announcer agrees.
Ball to hand aspect I guess. The way they call it these days I would think no PK.

That's a first for me - moment of silence for the Queen coming out of half-time.
I'd imagine it won't be the last.

Yep, I'm sure there will be tons of them but this is the first time I remember it happening coming out of halftime.

Likely no games this weekend I'd think. EFL canceled all Friday games.

There was only the one game on Friday but I'm anticipating all games off this weekend

That's a first for me - moment of silence for the Queen coming out of half-time.
I'd imagine it won't be the last.

Yep, I'm sure there will be tons of them but this is the first time I remember it happening coming out of halftime.

Likely no games this weekend I'd think. EFL canceled all Friday games.

There was only the one game on Friday but I'm anticipating all games off this weekend
Sounds like there is a government set "period of mourning" so all games are expected to be postponned.

Fred apologies to his teammates so much for his mistakes he should just get “I’m sorry” tattooed across his forehead to save the time.

Man I wish United had sold CR if they really had a chance. There’s no point in having him in this side.
He has been bad. at least 3 chances that he would have put away a year ago. He was probably looking for the PK but not sure how that doesnt get looked at.

Never a penalty for me - he was looking for it. Even if he was playing well I’m not sure the point unless you are selling shirts. I doubt he’s the difference in a top 4 finish and the is a rebuild in my mind. I don’t see why ETH would want him.

Man I wish United had sold CR if they really had a chance. There’s no point in having him in this side.
He has been bad. at least 3 chances that he would have put away a year ago. He was probably looking for the PK but not sure how that doesnt get looked at.

Never a penalty for me - he was looking for it. Even if he was playing well I’m not sure the point unless you are selling shirts. I doubt he’s the difference in a top 4 finish and the is a rebuild in my mind. I don’t see why ETH would want him.
He needs to accept he is a 30 min player now. the Cavani late game savior. Even then, he looks cooked today.

Now I'm seeing there will be an announcement early tomorrow about weekend games. Many expect this weekend's games to be cancelled but not the full 10-day window.

He needs to accept he is a 30 min player now. the Cavani late game savior. Even then, he looks cooked today.

He’ll start probably every cup match but not league - would rather see the minutes go to young players.

He’ll start probably every cup match but not league - would rather see the minutes go to young players.
Probably right and I agree.

Now I'm seeing there will be an announcement early tomorrow about weekend games. Many expect this weekend's games to be cancelled but not the full 10-day window.

Puts them in a rough spot with the long WC layoff.
They were hoping to get the CL/Europa group stages done before then. This won't help if it postpones home games mid week too.

These Ajax kits are 🔥

Also, never decide to drink after every time TAA decides not to track a runner. He’s gone from a little sus defensively (which was more than made up for with his offensive game) to a complete defensive dumpster fire this season.

For those wondering why the away section at the San Siro today was empty Italian Police arrested 14 Dinamo Zagreb Ultras on weapons charges. This led to many Ultras not attending the match which many believe is because they knew they would have issues getting in. The Champions League match at Milan was then put on a High Security alert. Thankfully no other incidents were reported. Tighten security was in place to keep fans safe. Prior to the Match early hours Milan put out a safety post warning about coming across the Zagreb Ultras.

Users who are viewing this thread