What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (5 Viewers)

First half "natural" hat trick for the new guy -- Erling Haaland (12', 23', 38')

it is almost comical to realize that people were seriously thinking he would not score in the EPL.

He has scored 2 hat tricks in his first 5 games. The previous record was 2 hat tricks in their first 21 games!

Isak not offside, Infinite stoppage time. 🙄

That was absolute horse **** and then on top of that Klopp acting like a total jackass at the end of the match with that rye smirk 'The what did I do one" you want to just slap the taste out. Use to have so much respect for Jurgen Klopp Liverpool changed him. At HT he was complaining to officials and then 2nd half glad handing the line judge the entire time. Was going to comment yesterday but was leaving for the Rammstein concert. The top 6 and EPL are so corrupt. So glad I don't root for one of the top 6 Clubs.

Honestly shocked the ref didn't try awarding Liverpool a PK at any point with a phantom call.

Liverpool have looked pretty bad overall, but still had a 1.8 - 0.7 lead in xG yesterday.

And Newcastle flopped around timewasting in the first half. Pope was down for awhile in extra time too. The one thing they can't complain about is how much extra time there was IMO.

That was absolute horse **** and then on top of that Klopp acting like a total jackass at the end of the match with that rye smirk 'The what did I do one" you want to just slap the taste out. Use to have so much respect for Jurgen Klopp Liverpool changed him. At HT he was complaining to officials and then 2nd half glad handing the line judge the entire time. Was going to comment yesterday but was leaving for the Rammstein concert. The top 6 and EPL are so corrupt. So glad I don't root for one of the top 6 Clubs.

Honestly shocked the ref didn't try awarding Liverpool a PK at any point with a phantom call.

Liverpool didn't change the Kloppster. He had the same character arc at Mainz and Dortmund. He's a great manager, great smile and plays the funny lovable guy perfectly, but can't hide the fact long that he is an arrogant **** with serious anger issues.

Unbelievably sloppy by United - amazing they have a lead (pending free kick)

God this is ugly football at the moment. Maybe early season and legs aren’t there for a second game in a week??

First half was good, second not so much. But its a win and a clean sheet.

Now there is competition for spots and depth. The games will start coming fast so will be a need for rotation. Arsenal up on the weekend. BIG GAME.

God this is ugly football at the moment. Maybe early season and legs aren’t there for a second game in a week??

Now there is competition for spots and depth. The games will start coming fast so will be a need for rotation. Arsenal up on the weekend. BIG GAME.

They had ample chances to finish the game off but were just so sloppy. 1H was pretty good - Casemiro was class - needs to be starting for McT Sunday. Ronaldo looks like he wants out.

Liverpool didn't change the Kloppster. He had the same character arc at Mainz and Dortmund. He's a great manager, great smile and plays the funny lovable guy perfectly, but can't hide the fact long that he is an arrogant **** with serious anger issues.

See I never saw him as that guy at Dortmund. Maybe because he's on a bigger stage its noticeable now more so.

They had ample chances to finish the game off but were just so sloppy. 1H was pretty good - Casemiro was class - needs to be starting for McT Sunday. Ronaldo looks like he wants out.
Agreed. Whether its Ronaldo's attitude or age finally hitting him (or both), he looks off the pace. He isn't outrunning anyone and his feet don't move as fast. Even compared to last season.
Rashford too, his 1v1 has fallen off a cliff. He's not beating anyone off the dribble.

Going to be interesting to see how everyone responds with the competition. I expect a lot of Sancho Martial Antony front 3 lineups.

Agreed. Whether its Ronaldo's attitude or age finally hitting him (or both), he looks off the pace. He isn't outrunning anyone and his feet don't move as fast. Even compared to last season.
Rashford too, his 1v1 has fallen off a cliff. He's not beating anyone off the dribble.

Going to be interesting to see how everyone responds with the competition. I expect a lot of Sancho Martial Antony front 3 lineups.

I’m a big Rashford the human being fan but he’s not progressed. Poor first touch and decision making still plague him most every game. He made a nice pass to Sancho for the goal but he had 3-4 more chances he couldn’t capitalize on.

I’m a big Rashford the human being fan but he’s not progressed. Poor first touch and decision making still plague him most every game. He made a nice pass to Sancho for the goal but he had 3-4 more chances he couldn’t capitalize on.
During the restart, when he Martial and Greenwood were flying it was so much fun to watch. All three put the defense on their heals and would run at them. Their footwork and touch 1v1 was amazing. His decision making was lacking. Ever since the Euros, Rashford's touch and dribbling has let him down and his decision making has gotten worse.

I disagree with the group of fans yelling about getting Rashford, Bruno and Martial out of the club. But if Rash and Martial continue in their current paths, I can't argue for them anymore.

Leeds are being opened up far too easily by Brentford on the counterattack. 3-1 to Brentford right now and a few more good chances have gone by the wayside for the home side. Leeds have had the majority of possession and have missed a few chances of their own but their ability to recover after losing the ball has been poor today.

ETA: Now Marsch is shown a red card after a possible penalty for Leeds isn't reviewed.

The fans at Estadio Sanchez Pizjuan are definitely letting the home side know how they feel about their efforts so far this season. Sevilla drops another match at home, 0-3 to Barcelona. 1 point so far this season. Strange match - Sevilla were the clearly better side for the first 20 minutes but they didn't take their chances and once Barcelona scored, their confidence just slowly drained away over the rest of the match.

Also, it is a joy to get to root for Lewandowski. So smart, so lethal.

End to end action to start the Man U - Arsenal match with Arsenal turning a midfield turnover into a goal by Martinelli...which gets taken off the board by VAR due to a foul by Arsenal leading to the turnover.

Big test of Arsenal's resiliency in the weeks that followed. They played pretty well for much of the match, but got opened up too easily on the counter by a team that knew what they were doing. But it's not the end of the world, and no reason to pull an Arsenal and fold for the next month. Learn your lesson and come out and spank Everton.

Mendy with the incredible acting job here
That was disgusting. How that wasn't sent to VAR for a check on a yellow card we'll never know.
If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called.

Between West Ham's equalizer and Newcastle's winner being called off, VAR had a terrible weekend.

How the replay missed the Palace player shoving the Newcastle player into the keeper before knocking the ball into his own net I'll never understand.

That was disgusting. How that wasn't sent to VAR for a check on a yellow card we'll never know.

Between West Ham's equalizer and Newcastle's winner being called off, VAR had a terrible weekend.

How the replay missed the Palace player shoving the Newcastle player into the keeper before knocking the ball into his own net I'll never understand.

Here’s the problem with VAR (even if I like the system) - Mendy overreacts and essentially forces the 4th official to review. If he either gets up immediately or at least doesn’t make a meal of it and the goal probably stands. But I do think it’s a foul - even if a weak one. Somewhat similar to the foul that was called on Xhaka against Eriksen. The key difference is that I think West Ham still score without the foul but Arsenal don’t get possession of the ball without the foul.

Big test of Arsenal's resiliency in the weeks that followed. They played pretty well for much of the match, but got opened up too easily on the counter by a team that knew what they were doing. But it's not the end of the world, and no reason to pull an Arsenal and fold for the next month. Learn your lesson and come out and spank Everton.
They weren't clinical in front of goal. They had a few clear chances that they didn't finish. And they allowed themselves to get bullied at times. But for long stretches Arsenal were the better team.

Arteta's 3 man sub at 2-1 really caused themselves some issues. When Bruno makes the pass through to Erickson, there are 6 Arsenal players near Bruno leaving one player to mark Erickson and Rashford.

Here’s the problem with VAR (even if I like the system) - Mendy overreacts and essentially forces the 4th official to review. If he either gets up immediately or at least doesn’t make a meal of it and the goal probably stands. But I do think it’s a foul - even if a weak one. Somewhat similar to the foul that was called on Xhaka against Eriksen. The key difference is that I think West Ham still score without the foul but Arsenal don’t get possession of the ball without the foul.
All goals go to VAR so Mendy's reaction really shouldn't affect anything. But since he stays down, they probably took a harder look at it.

But on this I disagree, As I said "If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called." Mendy won the ball and took out the player (yes I see the backfoot dragged but to me that doesn't make a foul on the forward). The foul is called because someone touched a keeper. Goal should have stood.

All goals go to VAR so Mendy's reaction really shouldn't affect anything. But since he stays down, they probably took a harder look at it.

But on this I disagree, As I said "If that was a defender sliding in on a tackle, no foul is called." Mendy won the ball and took out the player (yes I see the backfoot dragged but to me that doesn't make a foul on the forward). The foul is called because someone touched a keeper. Goal should have stood.

Refs have been protecting keepers forever - and as long as they are consistent I think I’m ok with it. I do agree since it wasn’t called in real time he shouldn’t have reversed it. He saw it and deemed it inconsequential. I’m just saying on face value it’s a foul and if he called it immediately I’d have no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread