What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✍ Knowshon Moreno to season ending IR. (1 Viewer)

Can we get back to current news on Moreno's injury and how to deal with it? Some of us who drafted him aren't giving up yet.
I'd like to hold but the situation is precarious.

PFT says 4 weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/14/knowshon-moreno-has-dislocated-elbow/

Has Dr. Bramel spoken on this yet?
You would have to be pretty dumb to flat out drop him. Even if it is an 8 week injury, you hold on until you literally cannot anymore. Remember last year with Vereen? Those who held on were rewarded.
I drafted Vereen and held on all year and was rewarded. I also had Andre Brown and he was very useful too. It's just that there is a big difference between Moreno coming back week 6, after the bye, and week 10. That was really my original question, what's most likely?
or those of us who have a really short bench (i.e. 3 spots) and can't afford to stash him during critical bye weeks.
Who plays in 3 bench leagues? I guess if its a 16 team league that could make sense but would still make juggling for bye weeks awful. Even standard yahoo/ESPN leagues have 6 player benches.
bingo

it's a 16-team league, highly competitive. the short bench is a royal pain but makes for a very active WW and trades.

Unless you are in a league with extremely short benches or where Rb depth is deemphasized I would hold into Moreno for dear life.

I lost moreno, Mathews, and Ingram in week 2. I'm holding ALL 3. In my league, if I were to drop one of them they be scooped up immediately.

RBS are in high demand. Just wait it out.

Yes, just wait it out. Then you can have the second string RB on a bottom third NFL team.

Lamar Miller rushed 15 times for 108 yards and caught 4-of-5 targets for 24 yards in the Dolphins' Week 3 loss to Kansas City.
Sunday's playcalling performance by Fins OC Bill Lazor was very disappointing. While Miller ripped off over seven yards per carry, Ryan Tannehill was head-scratchingly allowed to attempt 43 passes despite almost complete ineffectiveness. Tannehill averaged 4.8 yards per pass attempt. Lazor has a run-devoted background, so look for him to get this ratio corrected when the Dolphins take on the Raiders in London next week. As long as Knowshon Moreno is out -- and he's expected to miss at least three more games -- Miller will offer upside as a weekly RB2. Miller is now averaging 5.76 yards per carry on the season. Sep 21 - 8:21 PM

Yes, just wait it out. Then you can have the second string RB on a bottom third NFL team.

Lamar Miller rushed 15 times for 108 yards and caught 4-of-5 targets for 24 yards in the Dolphins' Week 3 loss to Kansas City.

Sunday's playcalling performance by Fins OC Bill Lazor was very disappointing. While Miller ripped off over seven yards per carry, Ryan Tannehill was head-scratchingly allowed to attempt 43 passes despite almost complete ineffectiveness. Tannehill averaged 4.8 yards per pass attempt. Lazor has a run-devoted background, so look for him to get this ratio corrected when the Dolphins take on the Raiders in London next week. As long as Knowshon Moreno is out -- and he's expected to miss at least three more games -- Miller will offer upside as a weekly RB2. Miller is now averaging 5.76 yards per carry on the season. Sep 21 - 8:21 PM
For me the Lazor scheme is very enticing and he is going to want to keep both guys fresh as possible. It'll probably be a 50/50 split when he comes back, but I like his chances and how he looked in the first game. Perhaps he'll have "fresh legs" and have a nice stretch from week 6 on.

Perhaps he'll have "fresh legs" and have a nice stretch from week 6 on.
He will have fresh legs, but I am betting he is out longer than week 6, more likely week 8-10 for his return. Lamar Miller will be established by that point in time.
I realize athletes tend to be more optimistic about their return. But if it is week 6, thats only 3 more weeks, well worth the wait to see(bench space available of course). Miller is only getting more reps because Moreno's out. It'll be back to a split.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still thinking this will be a split, or will Moreno be the primary back when he gets back? Anybody seen any trades for him recently?

If Miller establishes himself, he will be able to earn more time. But it still is worth holding onto Moreno as an insurance policy if you have the slot. If it looks like he will out past week 8, then maybe I think of another add if Miller is still playing really well.

RB's get hurt a lot so I wouldn't drop Moreno even if I thought Miller was going to have a stranglehold on the starting job.

Then again, the Dolphins schedule is extremely rough after the Jags game and I'm not sure I'd want to start any Dolphins RB.

RB's get hurt a lot so I wouldn't drop Moreno even if I thought Miller was going to have a stranglehold on the starting job.

Then again, the Dolphins schedule is extremely rough after the Jags game and I'm not sure I'd want to start any Dolphins RB.
Yes, the ideal time to use him would be in weeks 6-8 (vs. GB/CHI/JAX). Is there any more clarity on whether or not he'll be back by week 6?

SigmundBloom)

10/1/14, 10:30 AM

so not next week then? RT @AbramsonPBP Knowshon Moreno just told me he's still about four weeks away from returning.

Not good for those stashing him.

SigmundBloom)

10/1/14, 10:30 AM

so not next week then? RT @AbramsonPBP Knowshon Moreno just told me he's still about four weeks away from returning.

Not good for those stashing him.
there was another story that suggested he was trolling the media guy because he specifically told them not to ask about a timetable. No link right now

Either way. Lamar miller has been fairly productive since Knowshown left.

I'd still want to hold, but it's not guaranteed he just comes back and steps into the starter role because of his game 1 performance.

I'd still want to hold, but it's not guaranteed he just comes back and steps into the starter role because of his game 1 performance.
People continually ignore this. Miller is the 5 best RB in the league based on DVOA rankings. He's very productive.

People may be thinking of Vereen and Andre Brown last year, but it's different. Vereen was coming back to a passing game riddled with injuries and a starter RB whose HC had lost faith in him, Andre Brown was coming back to a depleted RB corps.

Lamar is continuing to look great, and now LaMichael James will start to get some play. Also that opener vs NE is starting to look like an anomaly, NE can be run on and MIA has not had another game where they managed to be so run heavy. Tannehill has also slipped.

People may be thinking of Vereen and Andre Brown last year, but it's different. Vereen was coming back to a passing game riddled with injuries and a starter RB whose HC had lost faith in him, Andre Brown was coming back to a depleted RB corps.

Lamar is continuing to look great, and now LaMichael James will start to get some play. Also that opener vs NE is starting to look like an anomaly, NE can be run on and MIA has not had another game where they managed to be so run heavy. Tannehill has also slipped.
lmj is on the practice squad as of right now

I still think he comes back after the bye. Getting the cast off is great news and more telling
So much kool-aid drinking by the Moreno cult. Lacy dislocated an elbow on Sept 14th. The Packers game is Oct 12th. That is less than a month recovery time. Moreno will be lucky to get back by Oct 26th, week 8 vs the Jags.

He will also be in a large brace and that will make ball security a major issue. Expect limited carries for at least 2 weeks when he is back in the lineup. By that time Lamar Miller will be established, so unless he goes down with injury, Moreno will not be fantasy worthy.

another 4 weeks..then what, two games back and another 2-3 weeks?no thanks. he's not LaDanian Tomlinson or Emmitt Smith..

he's a decent player , mired in a RBBC situation alongside a guy who has been playing well of late ( Miller)..

I still think he comes back after the bye. Getting the cast off is great news and more telling
So much kool-aid drinking by the Moreno cult. Lacy dislocated an elbow on Sept 14th. The Packers game is Oct 12th. That is less than a month recovery time. Moreno will be lucky to get back by Oct 26th, week 8 vs the Jags.

He will also be in a large brace and that will make ball security a major issue. Expect limited carries for at least 2 weeks when he is back in the lineup. By that time Lamar Miller will be established, so unless he goes down with injury, Moreno will not be fantasy worthy.
Can you tell me this weeks lottery numbers? Know any stocks under $5 a share that might go boom over the next year or so?

Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald has potentially provided some much needed context to Moreno's comments about being a month away from making his return. To quote Jackson:

When Moreno told me that yesterday, I concluded his tongue was planted firmly in cheek for several reasons: 1) A Dolphins public relations official who heard the exchange believed he was messing around and not being serious at all. 2) He insisted he was in horrible pain, which clearly isn't the case. 3) He had firmly told reporters previously that he didn't want to discuss a timetable.

No dog in this fight, but Lamar Miller has a history of being pretty average. A few good games won't change my mind.

There must be a reason a fat, out of shape Moreno was able to beat him out.

I'm guessing they are both used quite a bit moving forward, pushing both to RB2/flex territory, but Knowshon will likely take more snaps bc he's superior in the passing game.

No dog in this fight, but Lamar Miller has a history of being pretty average. A few good games won't change my mind.

I'm guessing they are both used quite a bit moving forward, pushing both to RB2/flex territory, but Knowshon will likely take more snaps bc he's superior in the passing game.
Actually Miller doesn't have a history of being average and he wasn't beat out by Moreno. So... I guess we start over?

Actually Miller doesn't have a history of being average and he wasn't beat out by Moreno. So... I guess we start over?
Miller should've been the sole feature back last year and he couldn't even stand out amongst his plodder competition.

Moreno came out and stole his thunder entirely his first debut in the pre-season. All talk was about Moreno after week 1. Not only did he play better, he brought an energy to the team that did not go unnoticed by his teammates or fans.

Moreno will come back with fresh legs and roll. Not saying Miller is removed from the gameplan, but Moreno will be the #1. Book it.

lamar miller avgd 4 ypc last year. Thats pretty avg. He didnt beat out moreno either. Moreno had 24.carries 1st game and miller had 11. When moreno comes back he will also likely be the goal line back.

lamar miller avgd 4 ypc last year. Thats pretty avg. He didnt beat out moreno either. Moreno had 24.carries 1st game and miller had 11. When moreno comes back he will also likely be the goal line back.
Yeah, 4 yds per carry behind an injury/drama riddled oline that was one of the worst in the NFL. The other RBs on that team managed 3.7, 3.5 and 2.1. Miller was the starter even when Moreno was healthy. Moreno got more carries but never moved above him on the depth chart. Mia stated they would ride the hot hand. Moreno was the hot hand. Miller was still the starter.

That week one 24/134/1 while splitting carries with Miller really stands out. It seems like more than a hot hand, imo. Miller hasn't had 24 carries in any game, with or without Moreno.

But it's hard to imagine Moreno playing right after the bye. Eiffert's dislocated elbow (a week before Moreno's) put him on short term IR (out until week 10). Granted, Moreno's may have been less severe, but returning to the field after only 4 weeks sounds overly optimistic. He just got the cast off.

Can you tell me this weeks lottery numbers? Know any stocks under $5 a share that might go boom over the next year or so?
Weak response. The lottery is a moron tax. Don't buy any stocks right now. You will want to pick yourself up some gold, silver and bitcoin.

What a difference a year makes... last year Moreno was the waiver wire gem and now he's guaranteed to be the Dolphins stud workhorse based on one game played against a not-quite-stout Patriots run defense?

Not buying it. Lamar Miller has looked pretty good.

Yeah, 4 yds per carry behind an injury/drama riddled oline that was one of the worst in the NFL. The other RBs on that team managed 3.7, 3.5 and 2.1. Miller was the starter even when Moreno was healthy. Moreno got more carries but never moved above him on the depth chart. Mia stated they would ride the hot hand. Moreno was the hot hand. Miller was still the starter.
Eh, Miller played pretty well last year so I'll give you that.

But, out carried in week one 24-12 -- call it hot hand, call it what you will, but he was definitely not the lead dog to start the year. That was after a Moreno injury and coming into camp out of shape.

Just not buying Miller as more than a low end RB2/Flex with Moreno back. Not really buying Moreno any higher either, but those thinking Miller continues at this pace will likely be sorely disappointed.

Long term, I do like Miller. He's bulked up and he's only 23.

What a difference a year makes... last year Moreno was the waiver wire gem and now he's guaranteed to be the Dolphins stud workhorse based on one game played against a not-quite-stout Patriots run defense?

Miller looked good against the vaunted Oakland defense. You sound very hypocritical.

I mean if we want to cherry pick I can very easily right now state that Miller has two seasons over a 5.0 ypc.

ldizzle said:
Bojang0301 said:
I mean if we want to cherry pick I can very easily right now state that Miller has two seasons over a 5.0 ypc.
has he been a top 10 rb in fantasy?
The oline was in shambles and Philbin is a moron. Miller's ypc looks even better when you realize that.

Miller looks better than last year, as he should with the improved o-line. The questions for fantasy purposes are:

1.) When is Moreno really returning, and

2.) Which back will be more successful when Moreno is back.

I'll have to go back through the thread to catch up, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has analyzed all the Dolphins carries. Why was Moreno more successful in week 1, and why didn't Miller have that level of success in the three weeks Moreno has been out.

My thought is: if miller can look this good with this offense, how much better will moreno be? I think week 1 gave us only a small taste of that answer. Moreno will be a beast when he returns. Not saying he becomes a feature back. But I can see a 60/40 split in his favor regardless of whether or not he is the starter.

Millers success only makes me more bullish about morenos potential when he returns.

Moreno is a better all around back and has more power. He'll get lots of GL love as well.

Miller will be the loser in the equation when Moreno returns.

Miller looked good against the vaunted Oakland defense. You sound very hypocritical.
Just asking to pump the brakes a little on Moreno's newly acquired "sure thing" status. Look at his career to date, look at his game-to-game from last season. He put up a few eggs in 2013, and a lot of guys can look great running out the clock with a 4-TD lead.

Miller's played 3 games, played well, and Moreno is no lock. That's all.

You really need both to have the Dolphins RB2 locked up. If you only have one, I'd be worried. Miller owners who don't have Moreno should trade for him and vice versa.

If they can both get up around that 12 touch per game mark, I think they could both be valuable. Might come down to who gets goal line touches and passing downs.

Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I'm guessing it's Miller 75% the first week Moreno is back, then close to 50/50, or maybe even the dreaded hot hand approach.

Miller should've been the sole feature back last year and he couldn't even stand out amongst his plodder competition.

Moreno came out and stole his thunder entirely his first debut in the pre-season. All talk was about Moreno after week 1. Not only did he play better, he brought an energy to the team that did not go unnoticed by his teammates or fans.

Moreno will come back with fresh legs and roll. Not saying Miller is removed from the gameplan, but Moreno will be the #1. Book it.
Im not booking it.

I did some reading on the fins forum after weeks 1 and 2 and those folks seemed pumped with Moreno's energy and performance. It extended beyond his good stats, The general consensus was Miller is JAG.

Moreno is better, plain and simple. He's going to be rested and in good health, ready to roll. I don't care if Miller touches the ball a dozen times. Moreno will get just as many touches and the goal-line carries, and he'll make the most of them.

Not terrible to be a Miller owner, and those guys did get a few weeks with their guy being the feature back, but Moreno owners should be excited to get their guy back.

:2cents:

May come back sooner than expected. Can't say we weren't warned...

Anybody trade for him after seeing that story?
I'm going to try and trade Josh Gordon for him. Im loaded at WR, screwed at RB and the Moreno owner is the reverse i.e. loaded at RB and screwed at WR. Not holding out much hope though.
It's worth a shot, but you'd probably have better luck trading Gordon to another team that is in pretty good WR shape. Nobody that needs a WR really badly is going to want a guy that he can't use until Week 12 at the earliest.

Users who are viewing this thread