What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

Health and fitness wearables to track data for insurers and employers has been in the works for a long time.
Sure. And smart phones were in the works long before the iPhone.
I have no idea what they are planning, but a GPS, ANT+ enabled watch that could place calls, etc would replaced Garmins at a 300-400 dollar price point.

For fitness nuts that would be a game changer.
For biking, I'd think a phone would be a better device for that than a watch. You won't be able to conveniently view the watch to see wattage or maps while riding. I'm not sure the purpose of being ANT+ enabled if you're not viewing it while riding. I don't know how strong the antenna is in a iphone for instance as compared to a garmin. If you're mountain biking where there's a lot of coverage, the iphone might be pretty unreliable if you're following a route. I know that the garmin works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not fitness data for fitness people (miles, lap times, personal best etc) but biometric outcome data is where the future is heading.

Not fitness data for fitness people (miles, lap times, personal best etc) but biometric outcome data is where the future is heading.
form factor issues abound. If someone had a wristwatch size spec out for single purpose it would exist. Hell, there's a hard enough time finding one that isn't the size of a brick that can take your HR.

form factor issues abound. If someone had a wristwatch size spec out for single purpose it would exist. Hell, there's a hard enough time finding one that isn't the size of a brick that can take your HR.
Agreed but it will happen. We've been talking to some people the last year about some crazy prototypes.

NutterButter said:
Sammy3469 said:
Abraham said:
mr roboto said:
Health and fitness wearables to track data for insurers and employers has been in the works for a long time.
Sure. And smart phones were in the works long before the iPhone.
I have no idea what they are planning, but a GPS, ANT+ enabled watch that could place calls, etc would replaced Garmins at a 300-400 dollar price point.For fitness nuts that would be a game changer.
For biking, I'd think a phone would be a better device for that than a watch. You won't be able to conveniently view the watch to see wattage or maps while riding. I'm not sure the purpose of being ANT+ enabled if you're not viewing it while riding. I don't know how strong the antenna is in a iphone for instance as compared to a garmin. If you're mountain biking where there's a lot of coverage, the iphone might be pretty unreliable if you're following a route. I know that the garmin works great.
A phone in general is horrible for serious bikers...too big, too clunky, too easy to break. There are Garmin watches that tri guys use on their handlebars so it is possible to do it.

I doubt they go this route, but there is a market for that type of device. I also wouldn't pu pu the health premiums argument...plenty of policies give you money back if you can prove you've gone to a gym so many times in 6 months. If there was a "standard" for non gym activity that would have a market as well.

They'll need to merge two sets of activities to make it a success since as some in this thread have said, I doubt the market for a standalone watch phone is huge outside of the initial adapters.

Going to be difficult getting the size to where it's not too big to be a watch but useful enough to perform functions efficiently. Personally, I'm not a watch guy and many people aren't either. I do some fitness training in the military and had a nike fuel band myself. Turned out to be just a fad for a lot of people. They are really going to have to be innovative or this will end up being a small niche item used by die hard apple fans, although with their profit margins it will still likely produce a profit but be a disappoint with as long as these have been rumored.

As only Apple could do...

Apple reportedly wrangles lower credit card transaction fees for mobile payments rollout
Citing sources familiar with the matter, Bank Innovation says Apple has managed to strike deals with American Express, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Capital One, and Bank of America that classifies payments made through a rumored iOS-based system as "card present" transactions, which come at a lower processing fee.

Unlike "card not present" transactions, "card present" payments command a lower fee reflecting a comparatively low risk of fraud. To obtain "card present" status, Apple supposedly assumed some of the risk by requiring Touch ID for each purchase, while leveraging NFC technology for additional security.

Going further, Apple reportedly reduced "card present" rates by 15 to 25 basis points, equating to a roughly 10 percent discount on processing fees, sources said. The publication offers iTunes as an example, noting Apple stands to save some $27 million if revenues from the digital storefront meet last quarter's $4.5 billion mark.

The company rumored to roll out an iOS-based mobile payments solution that could be tied to customers' iTunes accounts — automatically adding millions of on-file credit cards — meaning gross revenues could balloon dramatically. Importantly, Apple's as-yet-unannounced system will work with all credit card from issuing partner banks.

In addition to issuers, recent reports claim Apple has signed deals with American Express, Visa and MasterCard for the payments , bringing the world's top credit card companies onboard for an apparently imminent launch.

Earlier today, The Wall Street Journal reported that the next-generation iPhone and rumored "iWatch" will both feature NFC-based e-wallet solutions, a technology long-rumored for inclusion in the company's portable lineup.

IMO we see a tease / prototype, but we don't see product hitting market till the holidays or early 2015... will see!

I really enjoyed the presentation of the Apple Watch. I'd love to have one.

But at $350, I predict this will be a mild bust. Have you gone to Best Buy lately? You can get a lot of really cool stuff for $350. PS4 or watch. New TV or watch. Cmon.

If there was any way Apple could sell this watch for 149-199, they would have sold millions. Watches starting at $349? No chance.

Must have:

Bright display visible in direct sunlight.

Min 24 hour battery life... preferably able to last a week on a charge (kinetic/solar charge support?)

Comfortable to wear

Effortless syncing with iPhone
I think you just described the vivofit. From 2013(?).

I really enjoyed the presentation of the Apple Watch. I'd love to have one.

But at $350, I predict this will be a mild bust. Have you gone to Best Buy lately? You can get a lot of really cool stuff for $350. PS4 or watch. New TV or watch. Cmon.

If there was any way Apple could sell this watch for 149-199, they would have sold millions. Watches starting at $349? No chance.
Some price guesses from Daringfireball. I was hoping to buy I steel , $350-400 , sure I'm in. But a $400 premium over the sport , no thanks

The three collections of Apple Watch — Sport, steel, and Edition — will not, I think, be represented by three basic prices. Instead, the three collections will comprise a continuum of price points, ranging from $349 to $10,000 (or $20,000, if my hunch is correct that there are gold Link Bracelets waiting to be revealed).

Here are my final guesses (38mm/42mm):

• Apple Watch Sport (all colors, with Sport Band): $349/399
  • Apple Watch, steel, Sport Band: $749/799
  • Apple Watch, steel, Classic Buckle: $849/899
  • Apple Watch, steel, Milanese Loop: $949/999
  • Apple Watch, steel, Modern Buckle (38mm only): $1199
  • Apple Watch, steel, Leather Loop (42mm only): $1299
  • Apple Watch, steel, Link Bracelet: $1499/1599
  • Apple Watch, space black steel, Link Bracelet: $1899/1999
  • Apple Watch Edition, Sport Band: $7499/7999
  • Apple Watch Edition, Modern Buckle (38mm only): $9999
  • Apple Watch Edition, Classic Buckle (42mm only): $10,999
And purely based on my own speculation — the following configurations have not been announced, have not even been rumored, and have not been suggested to me by any sort of sources:

• Apple Watch Edition, Gold Milanese Loop: $14,999/$16,999
  • Apple Watch Edition, Gold Link Bracelet: $17,999/$19,999
In my first draft of this piece, I had the regular steel Link Bracelet models at $1899/1999, and the space black ones at $2299/2499, and there’s a notion in my gut that I should have stuck with them. I’m out on a limb here, and it’s quite possible I’ll be serving up some home-cooked claim chowder Monday. Every single number above other than $349 is truly just a guess on my part. My predictions are way higher than almost everyone else’s:

I'm hoping the pricing rumors are like the pre iPad event and are wildly exaggerated
:goodposting:

Also... if the thing gets 5 hours of solid use, it SHOULD be sufficient for a day. Unlike a phone (which will have you watching videos, browsing the web), this will likely be a device featuring more "burst" interactions than sustained interaction. If you're using it for a minute, half a dozen times an hour. That should put you with plenty of battery life for a day.

That said, it's likely an issue for me. I don't want to have to plug my watch in every night too. I'll pass for the time being (pun intended).

I have to say after lugging the 6+ around the gym and now on the bike, I'm more interested now in something smaller that could make a phone call in an emergency. Of course from everything I've read, you still need the iphone close by so that sort of defeats the purpose, but I guess we'll see.

next biggest innovation in tech will hopefully be battery life
It has to be. With all the new capabilities phones/watches/tablets/etc. have now, the batteries in these things should have no problem giving people a full days use. Seems like we've seen innovation in all parts of the new gadgets, except for the battery.

MattFancy said:
HellToupee said:
It has to be. With all the new capabilities phones/watches/tablets/etc. have now, the batteries in these things should have no problem giving people a full days use. Seems like we've seen innovation in all parts of the new gadgets, except for the battery.
The 5 hour thing is 5 hours of continuous use. These things are made for intermittent use. No one is going to continuously use the watch for more than 10 minutes, much less 5 hours.

Limp Ditka said:
Did I really read that there's no GPS Capability on these things? What is this, 2006?
I laughed earlier about killing Garmin.

Garmin Vivoactive about to come out...compatible with Android or IOS...GPS (8-10 hours in GPS mode)...about 3 days of battery with GPS off.

Uses for swimming, biking, horseriding I think even, running, and golf. Also other apps and ability to read and respond to emails and texts and get other notifications.

$250

I like all the new stuff coming out...both apple and android on the watch side of things. But so far...none of them are getting it all right just yet.

I think the only android watch with GPS is the Sony.

MattFancy said:
HellToupee said:
The 5 hour thing is 5 hours of continuous use. These things are made for intermittent use. No one is going to continuously use the watch for more than 10 minutes, much less 5 hours.
I was just commenting on things in general. If anyone is continously using a watch for 5 straight hours, they have problems.

My comment was more about tech in general. We've seen all kinds of increases to processing powers, screen resolution, etc. But it just seems battery power seems to be lagging behind. Not a knock on the Apple Watch or any specific thing.

Must have:

Bright display visible in direct sunlight.
The galaxy note 4 has a new feature that makes the phone ultra-bright when in sunlight. It's actually much brighter than the brightest setting you can put it on in settings. This is a great feature. I wonder if the apple watch will have something like this.

Limp Ditka said:
Did I really read that there's no GPS Capability on these things? What is this, 2006?
But does gps matter if the watch is completely useless without a phone on you anyway? All the phones have gps already. The bigger criticism is that this "smartwatch" is little more than a remote control for the phone you have to carry around in your pocket.

Limp Ditka said:
But does gps matter if the watch is completely useless without a phone on you anyway? All the phones have gps already. The bigger criticism is that this "smartwatch" is little more than a remote control for the phone you have to carry around in your pocket.
GPS is used for a lot of things that wouldn't necessarily need the phone. For example, running outside, checking your location to display an accurate weather forecast, etc.

Limp Ditka said:
GPS is used for a lot of things that wouldn't necessarily need the phone. For example, running outside, checking your location to display an accurate weather forecast, etc.
Yep. My needs are to get something with a gps, about 5gb of space and a media player.

I want to go out, run 5 miles and track it (route, pace, heart rate), while listening to the music of my choice (Bluetooth earbuds)

Everything else to me is fluff.

Really shouldn't be all that much to ask for in this day and age

There isn't a watch with gps capability out there right now that also has 5GB of music storage that I'm aware of. For now it seems to be an either/or.

Mario Kart said:
I was hoping to buy the Apple watch edition sport band but no way I'm paying $8,000+ tax for it. I was figuring $6,000+ tax or maybe $6,500+ tax would be my limit but not for $8,000.
I sure hope this is a joke.

There isn't a watch with gps capability out there right now that also has 5GB of music storage that I'm aware of. For now it seems to be an either/or.
Motorola Motoactv did (4GB, anyway). Sadly defunct after Google bought them - if they would have waterproofed the thing it would have been awesome.

Coming out now(ish), the Timex GPS One. GPS, 4GB for music, bluetooth, and 3G (independent of a phone).

I have heard rumors of the Apple watch not being waterproofed. This would essentially rule it out for anyone who wants an active watch. We'll see how that plays out.

Was all over the iPhone, iPad and AppleTV

...I just don't get the watch. No interest

Users who are viewing this thread