What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

I'm sure the watch will sell great. But if I'm going to spend $5-10k on a watch it is going to be for a classic time piece- Rolex or Omega. The kind of watch you pass down to your son and he his...The kind of watch that is a birthright. The kind of watch that you give to your son if we went off to war for good luck and the kind of watch he would stick up his ### for 5 years if held as a prisoner of war just so it could be passed along to the next generation.

$10k on a watch and I'm saving an extra few dollars for a Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, nice Rolex, Audemars Piguet, etc...

Honestly, if I saw someone wearing a $10k Apple Watch, my thought would be the exact opposite of what they are going for. Instead of thinking "hey, look at this successful person with that nice watch." I would instead be thinking "Look at this trust fund baby. Clearly can't be successful without an inheritance bc they are so ####### stupid!"

Some of the stuff seems pretty cool but this is one of the first major apple products i'm not going to buy immediately.

Interesting, but i don't really see pulling out my phone as a big inconvenience so at this stage the watch isn't that appealing. Plus i hate wearing any kind of accessories/jewelry.

$10k on a watch and I'm saving an extra few dollars for a Patek Phillipe, Vacheron Constantin, nice Rolex, Audemars Piguet, etc...

Honestly, if I saw someone wearing a $10k Apple Watch, my thought would be the exact opposite of what they are going for. Instead of thinking "hey, look at this successful person with that nice watch." I would instead be thinking "Look at this trust fund baby. Clearly can't be successful without an inheritance bc they are so ####### stupid!"
This post comes off as very hateful :/

Hmm....What type of person that is in the market for a $10k watch is going to look at the Apple watch over a Rolex type of watch?

I can't imagine established lawyer/banker types going that way. Obviously the uber rich tech guys will buy it, but who else?
Trust fund baby

Not trying to troll: How do you get to $350 worth of value when you have a smart phone in your pocket?
Agreed. I have a Pebble, which definitely isn't as feature rich as the Apple Watch, but I paid $150 for it and I thought that was a bit much at the time. Feel like only the die hard Apple fans will have these. I don't even see that many people wearing watches anymore anyway and if they do, they're dressier watches that go with business attire.

Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed more details about the Apple Watch on Monday, touting the company’s first new gadget since the iPad in 2010. “We think Apple Watch is going to become integral to your day,” he said. There are three styles: Apple Watch Sport (starts at $349), Apple Watch (starts at $549) and the more classic Apple Watch Edition made of solid gold (starting at $10,000). Users can customize what kind of watch face they want, and the device itself will connect with your iPhone and calendar, store your digital boarding pass for flights, and keep you up-to-date on the weather, stock prices and location.
Starting at $10k :lmao:

I like the closing sentence even more, sounds similar to something I already own.

Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed more details about the Apple Watch on Monday, touting the companys first new gadget since the iPad in 2010. We think Apple Watch is going to become integral to your day, he said. There are three styles: Apple Watch Sport (starts at $349), Apple Watch (starts at $549) and the more classic Apple Watch Edition made of solid gold (starting at $10,000). Users can customize what kind of watch face they want, and the device itself will connect with your iPhone and calendar, store your digital boarding pass for flights, and keep you up-to-date on the weather, stock prices and location.

I like the closing sentence even more, sounds similar to something I already own.
If I invest in a 10k+ watch I want it to hold value . A Patrk Philippe or Hublot is a safe bet. Apple watch edition might be work 2k a few years after buying

Not trying to troll: How do you get to $350 worth of value when you have a smart phone in your pocket?
You don't... This is far from a necessity.

With that being said, I heard the same comments about iPhones and iPads when they came out.
A friend of mine who is a big apple fanboy (I love apple too, but apparently some people can't take a single negative word about the company) said the same thing.

But I totally disagree. Everyone I know thought the iphones were amazing when they came out. For years I didn't buy the newest Nokia or phone because I didn't want to waste my money on a phone that could do bits and pieces of the internet.

From the very start, the iphone was a gamechanger and I knew it immediately.

The ipad comparison is sort of valid..I never thought the ipads would replace laptops, and still don't. But they are great devices for kids, for netflix, internet surfing, etc. But even then, the Ipads are far more successful than a "dumb" iphone slave wrist device that you have to charge daily.

With that being said, I heard the same comments about iPhones and iPads when they came out.
Of course. But a smartphone lets you do things you previously could not do without one. Check email, a GPS map, etc. etc. An ipad replaced laptops to some extent, but I don't think people are going to start dumping their phones for watches, right?

Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed more details about the Apple Watch on Monday, touting the companys first new gadget since the iPad in 2010. We think Apple Watch is going to become integral to your day, he said. There are three styles: Apple Watch Sport (starts at $349), Apple Watch (starts at $549) and the more classic Apple Watch Edition made of solid gold (starting at $10,000). Users can customize what kind of watch face they want, and the device itself will connect with your iPhone and calendar, store your digital boarding pass for flights, and keep you up-to-date on the weather, stock prices and location.

If I invest in a 10k+ watch I want it to hold value . A Patrk Philippe or Hublot is a safe bet. Apple watch edition might be work 2k a few years after buying
It'll be worth its weight in gold 2 years after buying...

Of course. But a smartphone lets you do things you previously could not do without one. Check email, a GPS map, etc. etc. An ipad replaced laptops to some extent, but I don't think people are going to start dumping their phones for watches, right?
As of now, if I understand right, it has to be paired to your phone to even have these features... Is this correct?

If that is correct, and I use bluetooth headphones, can I not use them while wearing the watch?

Name dropping exotic "classic time piece" brands in the iWatch thread is solid schtick.

Name dropping exotic "classic time piece" brands in the iWatch thread is solid schtick.
well Apple's got them in similar price points of 10-17k seems rather accurate to include brand like Breitling, TAG, Rolex, etc.

It's like someone with a google glass but even worse.

I don't understand spending 5 figures on something that will be 2 generations obsolete in 2 years.

A Rolex will still be a Rolex. The apple watch will be version 1 and not do half of whatever version 3 does.

This thread sounds a lot like the iPad thread at first. "This thing is stupid why would I ever need it?"

All those people own iPads now.

This thread sounds a lot like the iPad thread at first. "This thing is stupid why would I ever need it?"

Yeah I don't think this is a concern here.

:goodposting:

I'm buying at least two.
Of the 17k version right GB??

Last edited by a moderator:
i really was looking forward to getting an Apple Watch. I never buy first Gen apple stuff but this really had my interest. But now, i am disappointed by what i see. I may get a pebble instead and wait for the second gen version.

The guy from Apple says he wears his in the shower. I guess if you need to know exactly what time it is and what your heart rate is while you're in the shower then this is a must own.

I don't understand spending 5 figures on something that will be 2 generations obsolete in 2 years.

A Rolex will still be a Rolex. The apple watch will be version 1 and not do half of whatever version 3 does.
Hey nothing says you made it big like being able to afford the luxury of being an early adopter

Battery life kills this thing for me. Well, that and the fact you still need to be tethered to a phone (and in close proximity) for it to actually do anything.

But it is really that battery.

I get ticked when I have to charge my fitbit once a week. I can't imagine having to charge a watch 2 or more times a day.

Battery life kills this thing for me. Well, that and the fact you still need to be tethered to a phone (and in close proximity) for it to actually do anything.

I get ticked when I have to charge my fitbit once a week. I can't imagine having to charge a watch 2 or more times a day.
agreed. this is where im at as well. especially with the pebble getting a week on a charge.

Except in that case they were carving out a new category and caught their competition flat footed. It took a couple of years before there were compelling options elsewhere. In the case of the iwatch they are last to market and don't seem to offer much the competition isn't already doing. This release reminds me much less of the ipad launch than the canon m launch in photography. People waited for years for canon to release a mirrorless camera and everyone kind of shrugged and wondered why this hadn't been released a year or two ago because it wasn't innovative in any way... It was simply the canon brand.

In my opinion the latest LG watches are more compelling and will be more stylish to many...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/1/8128483/lg-watch-urbane-lte-hands-on

But why will I ever need it? My wife bought an iPad and the kids use it, but it can't replace a laptop for me. Similarly, I don't see how a watch replaces a phone or justifies its purchase.

But why will I ever need it? My wife bought an iPad and the kids use it, but it can't replace a laptop for me. Similarly, I don't see how a watch replaces a phone or justifies its purchase.
For the same reason someone in your house needed an iPad, someone may eventually need an iwatch.

For the same reason someone in your house needed an iPad, someone may eventually need an iwatch.
:confused:

So they're going to watch Netflix on it?

Still no interest.

The new MacBook looks nice but that is quite the price for that. Have to see them together but the 11" Air looks better to me for that price than does the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eventually, I guess. But right now I don't really see the point.

I don't recall many people that thought the ipad or the iphone was stupid. Sure, there were a few...but not many.

The majority of people saw the iphone or the ipad and immediately wanted it. Why? Because it increased functionality.

The iwatch or whatever its called doesn't give you anything tangible. Everything the iwatch does, my iphone does.

Granted, the ipad is just a big iphone, but at the time screen sizes on the iphones were so small it was smart. If they tried releasing the ipad now, it would fail, because the iphone 6plus is plenty big enough.

The iwatch might do ok. But the price point is too high. If they sold it for 149, they'd sell a zillion of them. 349 is a joke. Sure, rich people and gadget dorks will buy them. But they won't hit mainstream for a number of reasons...not the least of which is that a lot of people don't like wearing watches.

Siri on your wrist, cmon man!

Another problem is there are just way too many choices, it will confuse people. Bunch of versions with tons of different bands.

I was 100% on board with the iPad and bought it first day available.

Hopefully it's one of those things you have to have before appreciating, but I'm just not seeing this one until it can work independently from the iPhone. I've never really felt grabbing my phone to check something was an inconvenience.

Most of us have phones big enough now that owning a tablet is unnecessary. They still have a place, but I don't think phablet owners are using them much.

Only once a day like the Moto 360. Charging it overnight isn't a deal killer for me. I actually like the 360 , wouldn't mind one but its not enough to make me switch

Siri on your wrist, cmon man!
"Siri, give me three things I don't need"

"Ball cancer, popsecret posts, and an Apple iWatch"

Users who are viewing this thread