What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#1 Draft Pick in Dynasty League - Who to pick or trade it? (1 Viewer)

Zeidwinder

Footballguy
Trying to decide what to do with the 1st overall pick in the draft for a dynasty league. Not certain who to go with or do I trade it? My most glaring hole for years has been QB.

16 team dynasty league, non-PPR with pretty standard Yahoo scoring more or less. (Only 4 points for pass TD, -2 INT, -0.2 sacks, -0.5 fumble, -2 FL)

Injuries and lackluster play saw me without a QB most of the last season (even though I went in with 2 starters in Winston & Trubisky...but we know how that panned out!), and RB and TE. Finished 16th for the second time in the last three years a result, which was fine as I've been in a bit of a rebuild, but I've never been able to nail down a QB.

A manager is now trying to do a trade with me, again this season involving Lamar Jackson from his side. Last year he offered Jackson/Michael Carter for Najee Harris/Trubisky. In hindsight now it seems like I perhaps should have taken the offer, but injury issues with Jackson is a deterrent. The new offer for this year is below...

Give: Tee Higgins + 1st pick
Get: Lamar Jackson + 4th pick

Current roster:

QB: Jordan Love (BN: Jameis Winston, Mitch Trubisky, Brock Purdy)
WR: Tee Higgins, Chris Godwin, Kadarius Toney (BN: Isaiah McKenzie, Jahan Dotson, Mecole Hardman Jr., Marquise Brown, Terrace Marshall Jr., KaVontae Turpin, Tyquan Thornton)
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Najee Harris (BN: Isiah Pacheco, Sony Michel, Darrel Williams)
TE: David Njoku (that's it, now that Gronk can finally be dropped from my team)
K: Brett Maher
DEF: Philadelphia (BN: New York Giants)
LB: Foyesade Oluokan
DT: Sebastian Joseph-Day
DE: DeMarcus Lawrence
CB: Rasul Douglas
S: Talanoa Hufanga

If I keep the pick it either gets used on Bijan Robinson or one of Anthony Richardson, Bryce Young, or C.J. Stroud. If I pick a QB my concern is now wanting team bias to play into my decision as I am a Colts/Broncos fan (I know, how can someone have TWO teams, haha. I'm Canadian so NFL wasn't big up here when I was a kid. Got into the Broncos as I liked Elway, but then he retired and I heard about Peyton Manning, but it all came fully circle). Though I know Richardson is likely going to be similar to Jackson with the rushing, and that seems to be the new trend in the NFL that fantasy players may have to get used too.

Anyway, thoughts, suggestions, advice? Tried to give as much information as I could, as well as sprinkled in a bit of my own thinking. Right now I'm not leaning one way or another. I don't see a QB dropping to me in the 2nd round, and Robinson seems like the smarter pick unless I'm mistaken?

Trying to decide what to do with the 1st overall pick in the draft for a dynasty league. Not certain who to go with or do I trade it? My most glaring hole for years has been QB.

16 team dynasty league, non-PPR with pretty standard Yahoo scoring more or less. (Only 4 points for pass TD, -2 INT, -0.2 sacks, -0.5 fumble, -2 FL)

Injuries and lackluster play saw me without a QB most of the last season (even though I went in with 2 starters in Winston & Trubisky...but we know how that panned out!), and RB and TE. Finished 16th for the second time in the last three years a result, which was fine as I've been in a bit of a rebuild, but I've never been able to nail down a QB.

A manager is now trying to do a trade with me, again this season involving Lamar Jackson from his side. Last year he offered Jackson/Michael Carter for Najee Harris/Trubisky. In hindsight now it seems like I perhaps should have taken the offer, but injury issues with Jackson is a deterrent. The new offer for this year is below...

Current roster:

WR: Tee Higgins, Chris Godwin, Kadarius Toney (BN: Isaiah McKenzie, Jahan Dotson, Mecole Hardman Jr., Marquise Brown, Terrace Marshall Jr., KaVontae Turpin, Tyquan Thornton)
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Najee Harris (BN: Isiah Pacheco, Sony Michel, Darrel Williams)

If I keep the pick it either gets used on Bijan Robinson or one of Anthony Richardson, Bryce Young, or C.J. Stroud. If I pick a QB my concern is now wanting team bias to play into my decision as I am a Colts/Broncos fan (I know, how can someone have TWO teams, haha. I'm Canadian so NFL wasn't big up here when I was a kid. Got into the Broncos as I liked Elway, but then he retired and I heard about Peyton Manning, but it all came fully circle). Though I know Richardson is likely going to be similar to Jackson with the rushing, and that seems to be the new trend in the NFL that fantasy players may have to get used too.

Anyway, thoughts, suggestions, advice? Tried to give as much information as I could, as well as sprinkled in a bit of my own thinking. Right now I'm not leaning one way or another. I don't see a QB dropping to me in the 2nd round, and Robinson seems like the smarter pick unless I'm mistaken?
Is this superflex? If not (possibly even if so), there are no questions to be asked as far as the pick. It's Robinson. But a trade could be good for you, too. But I'd want a lot better than the offer on the table.

Current roster:

Is this superflex? If not (possibly even if so), there are no questions to be asked as far as the pick. It's Robinson. But a trade could be good for you, too. But I'd want a lot better than the offer on the table.
No flex spots at all.

Trade will have to be after the fact now as I see they started the draft early so I'm now OTC. Hopefully a QB prospect drops for round two. Though I've patiently been holding onto Jordan Love for years so fingers crossed.

I ended up taking Bijan as that seemed to be what everyone I questioned on the matter was saying. It doesn't address my biggest need in a QB mind you, and the top QB prospects have all gone (Richardson, Young, Stroud and Levis in that order).

Guy who has previously offered me Lemar Jackson reached out as he is a Packers fan and has interest in Jordan Love. I wasn't a fan of his offer of Love for Howell and a 2nd round pick. His newest offer is Love/Najee for Aiyuk/Lance, which I also am not digging. I have Brock Purdy, who seems to be atop the depth chart in SF for now.

The manager who drafted Richardson has a plethora of QB options. Herbert, Carr, Cousins, Wilson, Mac Jones and now Richardson. I wouldn't mind trying to see if I couldn't get Richardson from him. I think RB is likely his thinnest position (Penny, Edwards, Mostert, Hines, Brian Robinson, Justice Hill, Moss).

Still a few picks until the start of the 2nd round. No clue who to target in 3 picks time.

1. Bijan
2. Gibbs
3. Johnston
4. Charbonnet
5. Richardson
6. Smith-Njigba
7. Young
8. Stroud
9. Levis
10. Mayer
11. Spears
12. Ross
13. Achane
14. Flowers

If this isn't superflex then I hate the original offer and be wary of QB offers. If it's 4 pt. TD scoring by pass like you say, then it's just not worth it to draft a QB or trade a really good player for one. You can almost punt the position. For my next pick, I'd look at Jordan Addison, Dalton Kincaid, Kendre Miller, Marvin Mims, and Sam LaPorta in that order, IMO, really. That's who I'd be looking for.

Purdy+Love is probably enough for you to be okay at quarterback this year, and maybe long-term. I think you shouldn't feel desperate for a QB.

You'll know more in a month or two, so you could wait and see how they look and try to trade for a QB then if you need to.

The guy who keeps offering you trades is not offering you good deals. If you want to trade for a QB, you're be better off seeking a deal with someone else.

If you try to trade for a QB, 2 main options are to go big or go cheap. Going big means going after a top 12 or so QB - maybe Kyler Murray (who has had a dip in market value and could cost less than other high-upside QBs). You could try for Richardson if you really like him, but the guy who just took him at pick 5 presumably values him a lot - you might get a better deal from that manager on Herbert (even though he'll cost more). Or send out feelers to all the managers who have any top QBs that you like, to get a sense of what they'd cost you.

Going cheap would mean trying to get someone who costs say Pacheco or less. Maybe someone like Cousins, who is a solid starter & unlikely to crack the lineup of the team he's on now.

Addison is the obvious BPA after those 14 picks, followed by either Kendre Miller or Kincaid. At least among offensive players; I don't know about IDP.

Current roster:

I would keep the pick and take Bijan giving you a solid one two punch at RB or look to trade CMC for a top QB. Your #1 RB is aging out and you have nothing behind him. Keeping one locks in your RB1 for the next 5 years while you work the wire and upcoming rookie drafts to build out the rest of your roster.

Users who are viewing this thread