What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1986 vs 1996: #1 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths / A Long December - Counting Crows (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I wasn't much into PiL at the time either, and today, much prefer the first two albums vs any of their MTV-era stuff. But Rise is above average
Music on this album is awesome, the generic labeling was clever.

Really, the worst thing about Johnny's band was his vocals. And I love Johnny

Stuck With You - Huey Lewis & the News

Were Huey Lewis & The News the Hootie and the Blowfish of the mid-80s? Such a strange phenomenon. Their 1986 album Fore! went to #1, sold 3 million copies, and spawned five top-10 singles. Stuck with You was first, followed by the awful Hip To Be Square. Jacob’s Ladder was my favorite of the bunch but wasn’t released until the following January.
Was there a bigger band in the world in the latter half of 1983 than Huey Lewis & The News? They owned the sweet spot between "Adult Contemporary" and "Arena Rock" and arguably served as a gateway drug for an untold number of kids whose parents wouldn't let them listen to Ozzy or Motley Crue (or Duran Duran) but gave their full approval to the slick, accessible, nonthreatening music of Sports.

They could have stuck to the same script for their 4th album, but they decided to go Full MOR instead -- gaining millions of housewife fans in the process, but losing their fickle grasp on the younger demographic. Oh well, it was probably the smart play anyway.
Are you now going to kill someone with an ax?

Black Celebration - Depeche Mode

After the surprise success of the People Are People single stateside (#13 in 1985), Depeche Mode was poised to make it big in America. Follow-up album Black Celebration was released in March 1986 to great reviews, big sales in the UK, and crickets over here - not a one of the album’s singles charted in the U.S. The song Black Celebration wasn’t released as one of those single - it's here b/c it kicks off a great album with a perfect dark vibe.

Setting Sun - Chemical Brothers

Breakbeat… Big Beat… Electronica… In 1996, MTV hadn’t settled yet on a name for the next new genre it would promote. Setting Sun was released as a single several months in advance of the Chemical Brothers 1997 break out Dig Your Own Hole. I don’t think MTV or radio played it but follow-up Block Rockin’ Beats blew up early the next year. I only bought the CD single of Setting Sun because “Our Kid” Noel Gallagher co-wrote it and had the lead vocal.

If @urbanhack is back from Stockholm, maybe he can add more.

Going in REVERSE
Yes VERY slow in general and N.S. heavy, Ted lasted for approximately 20 and a half minutes
Perry looked as if he might blow away like a dandelion pappus at any moment
But was very generous and entertaining as an MC
Billy was generally just doing his rock star bit, but an awkward forced banter with James Iha got worse when Billy choked and needed water (to be fair he had to cancel a show just before this) and James had to try to carry the conversation alone :lol:
And they did a nice little acoustic Tonight Tonight together
But they played a lot of newer stuff I don't know, and I don't know that I buy em as an arena headliner but :shrug: there were a bunch of people there
I thought I saw Franz Nicolay in a cast

Yeah, I had tickets to the cancelled show in Portland. Looks like a nice miss. I was listening to the Pumpkins quite a bit leading up to the show l, trying to get pumped up but to be honest, I don't like them nearly as much as I thought I did. And Janes, well....I've never once asked my Alexa to play them and my Spotify has none of their songs in my library, despite the fact that at one time, I was a fan.

Setting Sun - Chemical Brothers

Breakbeat… Big Beat… Electronica… In 1996, MTV hadn’t settled yet on a name for the next new genre it would promote. Setting Sun was released as a single several months in advance of the Chemical Brothers 1997 break out Dig Your Own Hole. I don’t think MTV or radio played it but follow-up Block Rockin’ Beats blew up early the next year. I only bought the CD single of Setting Sun because “Our Kid” Noel Gallagher co-wrote it and had the lead vocal.

I love this album. I did not know that about Noel Gallagher. I know he did a song on Surrender, too, but was uncredited (I think by design). Anyway, Dig Your Own Hole, which came out in '97, was a bombshell of an album to me. Totally changed my thinking about dance music, really, as did Fatboy Slim.

Depeche Mode? I like some of their songs, but could never quite get into them too fully. It's just not my music.

i loved DLR in that DAVE TV era. The music hasn’t aged super well but Eat Em And Smile is a solid album as is the Spanish version SONRISA SALVAJE

It wouldn’t be hyperbolic to say this song and video changed me a bit. Steve Vai and his shtick, Greg Bissonette and HIS shtick. And Billy Sheehan for good measure. I liked pop a little less and hard rock a lot more after the mid eighties DLR material

DLR era MTV defined a portion of my childhood. Also, he was the first concert I attended ~1988.

Shellshock - New Order

The first of two from New Order and the first of a bunch from the Pretty in Pink soundtrack. Like most New Order songs, it was big in the UK but got no airplay here. I can’t thank John Hughes enough for introducing me to one of my favorite bands.

The Bends - Radiohead

I liked Radiohead a lot better when they were a somewhat artsy rock band rather than a somewhat rocking art band. Quite aware that puts me in the minority. The Bends is easily my favorite Radiohead album - the song of the same name was released as the sixth (!) and final single in July 1996.

Shellshock - New Order

The first of two from New Order and the first of a bunch from the Pretty in Pink soundtrack. Like most New Order songs, it was big in the UK but got no airplay here. I can’t thank John Hughes enough for introducing me to one of my favorite bands.

The Bends - Radiohead

I liked Radiohead a lot better when they were a somewhat artsy rock band rather than a somewhat rocking art band. Quite aware that puts me in the minority. The Bends is easily my favorite Radiohead album - the song of the same name was released as the sixth (!) and final single in July 1996.
The Bends may be my favorite Radiohead album. It's certainly the one I listen to most often. Though I do very much like the art-band stuff in the late '90s and early '00s. In Rainbows was where it started getting too non-rock for me.

Shellshock - New Order

The Bends - Radiohead

New Order is my 2nd favorite band (the first is 3 members of the 2nd) so yeah, no airplay in the states and John Hughes had great taste in music. Seeing Pretty in Pink in middle school was my first "date".

Stuck With You - Huey Lewis & the News

Were Huey Lewis & The News the Hootie and the Blowfish of the mid-80s? Such a strange phenomenon. Their 1986 album Fore! went to #1, sold 3 million copies, and spawned five top-10 singles. Stuck with You was first, followed by the awful Hip To Be Square. Jacob’s Ladder was my favorite of the bunch but wasn’t released until the following January.
Was there a bigger band in the world in the latter half of 1983 than Huey Lewis & The News? They owned the sweet spot between "Adult Contemporary" and "Arena Rock" and arguably served as a gateway drug for an untold number of kids whose parents wouldn't let them listen to Ozzy or Motley Crue (or Duran Duran) but gave their full approval to the slick, accessible, nonthreatening music of Sports.

They could have stuck to the same script for their 4th album, but they decided to go Full MOR instead -- gaining millions of housewife fans in the process, but losing their fickle grasp on the younger demographic. Oh well, it was probably the smart play anyway.
Are you now going to kill someone with an ax?

reference

i loved DLR in that DAVE TV era. The music hasn’t aged super well but Eat Em And Smile is a solid album as is the Spanish version SONRISA SALVAJE

It wouldn’t be hyperbolic to say this song and video changed me a bit. Steve Vai and his shtick, Greg Bissonette and HIS shtick. And Billy Sheehan for good measure. I liked pop a little less and hard rock a lot more after the mid eighties DLR material
DLR knew what he was doing and laughing all the way to the bank between parties. Vai and Sheehan were top rock musicians so Dave enlisted their help to have more fun after VH. I wanted to be Dave. Oh yeah, the Eat Em album was fun as hell.

You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

Whenever we played wiffle-ball in the backyard, my boom-box would be blaring the latest hits I taped off the radio. I had dubbed You Give Love a Bad Name from AT40, and Casey Kasem talked up the latest hit from “the New Jersey Heavy Metal Band.” Two of my friends were metalheads, and they were incensed that Casey would dare refer to Bon Jovi as “metal.” I stayed out of it because I kind of liked Bon Jovi.

You Give Love a Bad Name was Bon Jovi’s first of four #1s, and the overall 12th chart-topper released in 1986 in this countdown. Seven to go, with seven more not deemed worthy.

Where It’s At - Beck

Odelay sold 2 million copies in 1996 and its songs were unavoidable on the radio (and still are if you listen to Lithium).. Maybe Where It’s At should be higher, but I think I just heard it too much.

It was Iggy’s first song to get any major airplay Stateside or in the UK.
I was at first thinking this can’t be true, but then I remembered “Lust for Life” didn’t really catch on until it was used in Trainspotting.

Didn't Jim Rome use this before Trainspotting?

I think you're thinking of Art Bell's Coast to Coast show.

lol....that thing was.....something.

You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

Whenever we played wiffle-ball in the backyard, my boom-box would be blaring the latest hits I taped off the radio. I had dubbed You Give Love a Bad Name from AT40, and Casey Kasem talked up the latest hit from “the New Jersey Heavy Metal Band.” Two of my friends were metalheads, and they were incensed that Casey would dare refer to Bon Jovi as “metal.” I stayed out of it because I kind of liked Bon Jovi.

You Give Love a Bad Name was Bon Jovi’s first of four #1s, and the overall 12th chart-topper released in 1986 in this countdown. Seven to go, with seven more not deemed worthy.

Where It’s At - Beck

Odelay sold 2 million copies in 1996 and its songs were unavoidable on the radio (and still are if you listen to Lithium).. Maybe Where It’s At should be higher, but I think I just heard it too much.

Agreed on Where It's At. Maybe my least favorite track on that outstanding album. Still like it, but it got murdered by radio/MTV et al.

King of New Orleans - Better Than Ezra

Friction, Baby, Better Than Ezra’s follow-up to 1993’s platinum selling Deluxe, didn’t move as many copies. To my ears though, it was a much better record - good enough to place two songs in the countdown. First comes lead single King of New Orleans, which spent 17 weeks on the Modern Rock charts peaking at #5.

I make a point to see BTE and/or Kevin Griffin a few times a year. One of those bands from that Frat Rock genre that still sound great and put on a great show. King of New Orleans is almost always the first or second song in the setlist and is a favorite live. Looking forward to see where the second song ends up on the countdown. I'll just sit here in the wet grass and wait.

You Give Love a Bad Name was a first of many for me. It sparked the very first time I purchased an album fully knowing I'd have to hide it from my conservative father, or risk it's immediate destruction. I was 10. This song was the reason I bought the album. There were several more hidden albums over the next few years, though by the time I reached about 14, I guess he knew that the battle was lost. I could listen to what I wanted.

King of New Orleans - Better Than Ezra

Friction, Baby, Better Than Ezra’s follow-up to 1993’s platinum selling Deluxe, didn’t move as many copies. To my ears though, it was a much better record - good enough to place two songs in the countdown. First comes lead single King of New Orleans, which spent 17 weeks on the Modern Rock charts peaking at #5.

I make a point to see BTE and/or Kevin Griffin a few times a year. One of those bands from that Frat Rock genre that still sound great and put on a great show. King of New Orleans is almost always the first or second song in the setlist and is a favorite live. Looking forward to see where the second song ends up on the countdown. I'll just sit here in the wet grass and wait.
I see what you did there.

I have a good friend that feels the same way about BTE. He was supposed to fly down and see them in New Orleans earlier this year but something happened (not sure if it was on his end or their's) so he ended up switching it up to Shreveport instead. You know you must really love a band if you fly from Baltimore to see them in freaking Shreveport.

I Know It’s Over - The Smiths

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head
And as I climb into an empty bed
Oh well, enough said
I know it's over - still I cling
I don't know where else I can go

It takes a lot to be called the most depressing Smiths song, but here it is (Meat is Murder notwithstanding). My 16 year-old self felt this one deeply.

How Soon is Now? - Love Spit Love

The most famous Smiths’ song, covered by another 80s icon via The Craft soundtrack, then popularized further as the theme from Charmed. [Spoler alert] That show was never the same after they killed off Shannen Doherty and replaced her with Rose McGowan.

I originally claimed that only two artists appear in both lists (REM and Metallica) but Richard Butler also makes dual appearances albeit with different bands.

Rock Me Amadeus - Falco

This was a tough one. Released in Europe in late ‘85 but not in the US until January of the next year, I’m gonna count it. Falco became the first German-speaking artist to reach #1 on the Hot 100 after Rock Me Amadeus made it to the top in March of 1986.

Falco explains:

If Mozart were alive today, he wouldn’t be making classical music; he’d be an international pop star. And I felt it was time to write a song about him

Brain Stew/Jaded - Green Day

It’s crazy that a record that went double platinum in the U.S. was perceived as a commercial disappointment, but that’s the story of Insomniac. Green Day’s 1995 album just didn’t have the charm or fun of its predecessor, and the singles - while getting decent airplay - couldn’t match the catchiness of Longview or Welcome to Paradise. Brain Stew/Jaded was the third single, reaching #3 on the Modern Rock charts in July of 1996.

Dead Man’s Party - Oingo Boingo

I was just shocked to learn that Oingo Boingo never had a Top 40 hit. The first two singles from their Dead Man’s Party, Weird Science and Just Another Day, peaked at #45 and #85 respectively. Despite not charting when it was released in the spring of 1986,, the song Dead Man’s Party is one of Boingo’s most famous, probably thanks to Rodney Dangerfield and Back to School.

Bound for the Floor - Local H

Love the song, but whenever I hear it, I wonder if it’s the only semi-hit to feature the word “copacetic.” Taken from Local H’s second album As Good As Dead, Bound for the Floor was the band’s biggest hit, reaching # 5 on the Modern Rock chart.

I thought the Local H song was called Copacetic until literally this year, when I was in a car that displayed the title when the song came on.

Dead Man's Party is one of those songs you always heard at ... parties.

Local H is one of my very favorite musical acts ever. Is it a band or a guy and his friend? More like the latter but to this day, Scott Lucas can do little wrong by me.

Anyway, I just tore my leg up (again) and spent two nights in a Mexican hospital .... AMA

They won't admit it now but even the real metal heads liked Bon Jovi for a hot minute

Dead Man's Party always a good Halloween add

Rock Me Amadeus rocked me like Dave at that age (the other Dave)

I'll take this How Soon Is Now? cover from a few years later, thanks

Dead Man’s Party - Oingo Boingo

I was just shocked to learn that Oingo Boingo never had a Top 40 hit. The first two singles from their Dead Man’s Party, Weird Science and Just Another Day, peaked at #45 and #85 respectively. Despite not charting when it was released in the spring of 1986,, the song Dead Man’s Party is one of Boingo’s most famous, probably thanks to Rodney Dangerfield and Back to School.

Bound for the Floor - Local H

Love the song, but whenever I hear it, I wonder if it’s the only semi-hit to feature the word “copacetic.” Taken from Local H’s second album As Good As Dead, Bound for the Floor was the band’s biggest hit, reaching # 5 on the Modern Rock chart.
Love Local H, I think they still play around the hometown south Chicago suburbs.

Higher Love - Steve Winwood

This is the kind of song that would have been an instant channel changer for me in 1986 if there had been other stations to flip to (or if I had a radio with presets or a TV with a remote control). I had no idea about Spencer Davis or Traffic or Blind Faith of course… Steve Winwood just seemed like old people music. He was only 38 when Higher Love hit #1 and now that I’m a good decade-plus older than that, I can finally see that most of his mid/late 80s output is really catchy, even if it’s dated by all the 80s production.

Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots

In STP’s previous entry, seems like a bunch of folks agreed that the band had fallen off a good bit by 1986’s Tiny Music… even if the album did produce three #1s on the mainstream rock chart. Tripping on a Hole In a Paper Heart was my favorite of the bunch.

Higher Love is A+ singing and songwriting. The 80s production and overplay made me tired of it at the time, but now I appreciate it for the gem it is.

A few years ago I saw Winwood open for Steely Dan. His set was all Traffic and Spencer Davis Group material except for Higher Love.

This is another example of how weird Weiland’s voice had gotten by 1996.

Higher Love - Steve Winwood

This is the kind of song that would have been an instant channel changer for me in 1986 if there had been other stations to flip to (or if I had a radio with presets or a TV with a remote control). I had no idea about Spencer Davis or Traffic or Blind Faith of course… Steve Winwood just seemed like old people music. He was only 38 when Higher Love hit #1 and now that I’m a good decade-plus older than that, I can finally see that most of his mid/late 80s output is really catchy, even if it’s dated by all the 80s production.

Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart - Stone Temple Pilots

In STP’s previous entry, seems like a bunch of folks agreed that the band had fallen off a good bit by 1986’s Tiny Music… even if the album did produce three #1s on the mainstream rock chart. Tripping on a Hole In a Paper Heart was my favorite of the bunch.
Ahhhhh, two of my favorites.

Sometime right around then, I shared some time with Weiland at an afterparty in Boston. He had just gotten out of rehab. I don't know how many rehabs Weiland went to, but this was one of the ones that didn't work.

Sometime right around then, I shared some time with Weiland at an afterparty in Boston. He had just gotten out of rehab. I don't know how many rehabs Weiland went to, but this was one of the ones that didn't work.
Not sure whether to (y) or :crying: on that one. Poor f'er (Weiland, not you, I mean.)

Mad About You - Belinda Carlisle

Teenage me had a massive crush on Belinda Carlisle (join the club, right) and I was majorly bummed when the Go-Gos broke up (Beauty and the Beat was the first tape I ever bought). At the time, her solo stuff didn’t really do it for me because I missed the pop-punk edge. Now, I happily sing along to Mad About You whenever I run across it.

If Your Girl Only Knew - Aaliyah

The FFA likely ain't the right crowd for this one except for maybe my fellow 80s/90s R&B fan @massraider. Aaliyah put out a lot of great songs in her tragically short 22 years. If You’re Girl Only Knew was released when she was still only 17 and became her second R&B #1, almost cracking the pop Top 10. The track was written by Missy Elliott and produced by Timbaland, so you know it’s gotta be good.

The FFA likely ain't the right crowd for this one except for maybe my fellow 80s/90s R&B fan @massraider. Aaliyah put out a lot of great songs in her tragically short 22 years. If You’re Girl Only Knew was released when she was still only 17 and became her second R&B #1, almost cracking the pop Top 10. The track was written by Missy Elliott and produced by Timbaland, so you know it’s gotta be good
I wonder how the Aaliyah story would have turned out if she had lived. I thought she could have been Janet Jackson big.

Teenage me had a massive crush on Belinda Carlisle (join the club, right) and I was majorly bummed when the Go-Gos broke up (Beauty and the Beat was the first tape I ever bought). At the time, her solo stuff didn’t really do it for me because I missed the pop-punk edge. Now, I happily sing along to Mad About You whenever I run across it.

The FFA likely ain't the right crowd for this one except for maybe my fellow 80s/90s R&B fan @massraider. Aaliyah put out a lot of great songs in her tragically short 22 years. If You’re Girl Only Knew was released when she was still only 17 and became her second R&B #1, almost cracking the pop Top 10. The track was written by Missy Elliott and produced by Timbaland, so you know it’s gotta be good.

Great pop songs...peak "I wanna Bang" Belinda for me personally.

Saw the GoGos live about 6 years ago at the Fillmore, I **** you not made eye contact with Belinda several times and she was checking me out/****ing with me...regardless, will never forget.

Excellent song, bubbly and catchy. In the first couple of seconds of the video she is holding a cigarette up to her mouth, which upset her, and she got on the director about it. Despite her "off-the-field" tribulations, Belinda was aware of the influence she had on teenage girls and did not want them to see such a thing.

Belinda had a nice run in the late 80's--four Top Ten singles, a #1 song. Not bad, at all.

Don’t Get Me Wrong - Pretenders

By 1986, Chrissie Hynde was the only original Pretender still in the band. Regardless, Don’t Get Me Wrong became their second-biggest U.S. hit, reaching #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the summer of 1986. Until today, I had no idea it was inspired by Chrissie’s good friend John McEnroe.

Capri Pants - Bikini Kill

For a brief period in grad school, I dated someone obsessed with Riot Grrrl. No matter how much she pushed, I just couldn’t get into it, not because of the politics, but because a lot of the music was unlistenable (to be fair, that’s the case with a lot of punk bands) . But for the one or two songs on an album that were good - like Capri Pants off Bikini Kill’s second album Reject All American - I was all in. 25 years later, I’m still fascinated by Kathleen Hanna - in small doses. To quote her arch-nemesis Courtney Love:

Hanna is a good hype man . But her persona is such a diy nonsense dilettante.

A little harsh, but also maybe a nugget of truth in there too.

Being honest, and all due respect, I always felt like the one thing about Kathleen Hanna vs anybody else is that she was legit smoking hot

Oh no, plinko!

Thanksgiving in Mexcio? A torn apart leg? How and what happened? Inquiring minds...
I will recount the tale soon.. I’m on the flight home as we speak. Web access hasn’t been great today, to say the least. Happy thanksgiving friends!!

So, yeah, we took a little Thanksgiving week trip to Cabo, just to get away and use a low key work week as a chance to recharge... I am sure we got a good deal through our travel channels. Having grown up a Low Country SC yokel, I was a little out of my element from the social perspective, but I do enjoy bouncing around in the surf and consider myself well adapted at that sort of thing, anyway..
But a salvo got me and landed me awkwardly, tearing the back of my right thigh. Hamstring + more is my guess, but I still don't have a clear picture yet, having just gotten back in country yesterday!
Definitely JACKED... but hopefully no cutting is needed, just healing, we'll see.

The way it swelled and bruised, by that night I couldn't move myself around at all anymore. Ended up in an ambulance, and two nights in el hospital. It was nice and quiet, the nurses were angels and I cannot complain a bit. Had to pay out of pocket, but fingers crossed that Aetna won't give me much guff about reimbursement

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer

I know now that Robert Palmer had been around for quite a while by 1986, but my first exposure was via The Power Station during the previous year. I wasn't even a huge Duran Duran fan but for some reason bought both that record and the lone release from the the LeBon/Rhodes side-project Arcadia. His subsequent solo release, 1986's Riptide, went double platinum and produced two top-5 hits, including Addicted to Love which topped the Hot 100. When I was 13, I loved this video so much.

In the Meantime - Spacehog

Most 90s one-hit wonders weren't nearly as memorable (or good) as those from the prior decade. In the Meantime is an exception (at least in terms of "good," maybe not memorable) and Spacehog themselves had an excellent glam-ish sound that deserved a bigger audience. Instead, Spacehog was probably more famous over here for the lead singer marrying Liv Tyler.

The FFA likely ain't the right crowd for this one except for maybe my fellow 80s/90s R&B fan @massraider. Aaliyah put out a lot of great songs in her tragically short 22 years. If You’re Girl Only Knew was released when she was still only 17 and became her second R&B #1, almost cracking the pop Top 10. The track was written by Missy Elliott and produced by Timbaland, so you know it’s gotta be good
I wonder how the Aaliyah story would have turned out if she had lived. I thought she could have been Janet Jackson big.
She was so good in Queen of the Damned too. Really liked that movie and soundtrack

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer

I know now that Robert Palmer had been around for quite a while by 1986, but my first exposure was via The Power Station during the previous year. I wasn't even a huge Duran Duran fan but for some reason bought both that record and the lone release from the the LeBon/Rhodes side-project Arcadia. His subsequent solo release, 1986's Riptide, went double platinum and produced two top-5 hits, including Addicted to Love which topped the Hot 100. When I was 13, I loved this video so much.
Out of all of the singers who tried to sound like Stevie Wonder, Palmer was the best.

Users who are viewing this thread