What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1986 vs 1996: #1 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths / A Long December - Counting Crows (2 Viewers)

Bars and restaurants are the craziest people with the worst drinking problems one can imagine. The wreckage that flows from closing time and dead hours at those places is something else. I remember how Jessie, my favorite female bartender in the place I hung out in Springfield, MA, would get more and more belligerent as the night wore on. Such memories I have of that place at that time.

"Your Love" is the Patriots song. There's enough said by that to commit various nefarious acts to it. But it's still got a catchy vocal to it that everybody mistakenly tries to emulate.

The Soundgarden song? I don't know it. Had quit listening to them by '96. They were dinosaurs compared to my beloved punk and pop-punk back then.

Last edited:
Bars and restaurants are the craziest people with the worst drinking problems one can imagine. The wreckage that flows from closing time and dead hours at those places is something else.
I was lucky to get out of the scene unscathed. My best friend and I still lived inland with out parents while almost everyone else working in the restaurant came to the beach and lived eight people deep in 2-3 bedroom ****holes. We would always pick up their hours because none of them ever wanted to work till close (which was 1 am in the summers). The owners would let people take "draws" on their paychecks during the week when they wanted to buy weed or coke - can't count how many times each summer some dipshit would end up owing the restaurant money on payday.

The place was owned by three brothers who were given the place by their dad. One was responsible but kind-of loathsome. The one who brought us shift beers had a drinking problem. The smartest and my favorite unfortunately had major coke issues. One Saturday afternoon, he asked me to watch the bar for a while so he could go make the dough. It beat the hell out of making pizza (tips!) so I didn't even notice how long he was in the back. The responsible one came in around 4 and asked where TJ was because his car wasn't there. Turned out the dude took all the money in the safe and disappeared for 2 weeks on a binge.

A few months later, his wife had kicked him out and he was living with his parents. He asked me and my buddy to give him a ride home as it was on the way back to our town. We come up on a sobriety checkpoint and TJ starts freaking out in the backseat telling me I need to do a U-turn. I knew that wouldn't work out well and I was dead sober so advised him to chill. The cops let us through, only giving sketchy-*** TJ a bit of side eye. Once we were clear, TJ pulls out a half-dozen 8-balls of coke from under my seat and puts them back in his pockets. I could have killed him.

So yeah, the restaurant business...

Last edited:

Opportunities - Pet Shop Boys

The early Pet Shop Boys thing gets confusing when you’re trying to nail down dates. West End Girls and Opportunities were both included on Pet Shop Boys debut album Please, released in March 1986. West End Girls was originally put out as a single in 1984, then re-released in the U.S. in 1985, becoming a #1 hit in 1986. The Opportunities single was released in 1985 in the UK, but wasn’t issued in America until 1986. By my rules, that makes Opportunities fair game, but West End Girls is SOL.

Devil’s Haircut - Beck

I like this one a bit more than Where It’s At. Way more funky, even if it didn’t chart as high.

Manic Monday - Bangles

I don’t know how long it took me to realize that Susannah Hoffs is late for work because she had been up all night having sex. My dumb teen brain just sang along to the words I could make out and hummed through most of the bridge. If I had known at the time Manic Monday was written by Prince, I hopefully would have picked up on it sooner. OTOH, thanks to the video, I really thought Olivia Newton-John’s Physical was about exercising, so maybe not.

Manic Monday was The Bangles first U.S. hit, peaking at #2. It was blocked from the top spot by a “related” song that’s still to come.

Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine

Zack de la Rocha is the anti-Susannah Hoffs. Still love the music, even if I’m more likely to roll my eyes a bit now.

Don’t Dream It’s Over - Crowded House

Crowded House deserved better over here. At least in their first iteration, they never made a bad record - 1991’s Woodface in particular is a freaking gem. Alas, their self-titled debut is all that really got much play in the U.S., and Don’t Dream It’s Over was the biggest hit, reaching #2. Follow-up single Something So Strong also made the Top 10 in 1987, and that was really it.

What’s strange is that it was the complete opposite in the UK. The first two Crowded House records did nothing but albums three and four had 10 consecutive singles reach the Top 40.

El Scorcho - Weezer

I guess I can understand why so many folks that loved the first Weezer record were turned off by the follow up. I went the other way, finding the Blue album too sunny but loving all the dysfunction and self-loathing on Pinkerton. Just bummed that Pink Triangle was from 1997. For the record, I was scorchy well before El Scorcho happened.

El Scorcho - Weezer

I guess I can understand why so many folks that loved the first Weezer record were turned off by the follow up. I went the other way, finding the Blue album too sunny but loving all the dysfunction and self-loathing on Pinkerton. Just bummed that Pink Triangle was from 1997. For the record, I was scorchy well before El Scorcho happened.

In the strangest of weirdly successful fraternities, in the strangest of ways, this was our theme song from my graduating year.

******* you half-Japanese girls
Do it to my every time
Aw the redhead said you shred the cello
And I'm jello
Baby

But you won't even look won't think of me
I'm the epitome of public enemy
Why you wanna go and do me like that
Come down on the street and dance with me

I'm a lot like you so come on come here I'm waiting
I think I'd be good for you and you'd be good for me

Interlude *record scratches*

Monday night I'm making Gwen
Tuesday night I'm making Lynn
Wednesday night I'm making Catherine

Oh why can't I be making. Love. Come. True.
What should I do?

Last edited:

Crowded House deserved better over here. At least in their first iteration, they never made a bad record - 1991’s Woodface in particular is a freaking gem. Alas, their self-titled debut is all that really got much play in the U.S., and Don’t Dream It’s Over was the biggest hit, reaching #2. Follow-up single Something So Strong also made the Top 10 in 1987, and that was really it.

What’s strange is that it was the complete opposite in the UK. The first two Crowded House records did nothing but albums three and four had 10 consecutive singles reach the Top 40.
If I were doing a "Top Zillion Records Of The 1980s" countdown, this would be firmly in the Top 5.

That scratch guitar on the intro is like the static on an old transistor radio when you'd be trying to lock in a station. Then everything blooms and Finn's vocals start pouring out. I still don't know all of the words to this song because they come pouring out in such a torrent and all that matters is how they sound. It comes dangerously close to over-verbiage several times, but never seems to collapse into chaos (the way Dylan or Springsteen can). Just a gorgeous record.

If I were doing a "Top Zillion Records Of The 1980s" countdown, this would be firmly in the Top 5.

That scratch guitar on the intro is like the static on an old transistor radio when you'd be trying to lock in a station. Then everything blooms and Finn's vocals start pouring out. I still don't know all of the words to this song because they come pouring out in such a torrent and all that matters is how they sound. It comes dangerously close to over-verbiage several times, but never seems to collapse into chaos (the way Dylan or Springsteen can). Just a gorgeous record.
Great post. So you're saying if we did a Top 31 Oceania Songs by Middle-Aged Dummies, we can expect this to be way up there?

It's definitely a song I love a lot more now than when I first heard it. At a time when I was ruled by the Beastie Boys and Run-DMC, Crowded House was nice but not really in my wheelhouse. It was their early 90s stuff that spoke to me (guess I had grown up a bit) and sent me back to revisit their first two albums.

The Outfield - Your Love

The Outfield's 1985 debut album didn't really sell in their native England, but was a surprise US hit, going double platinum and reaching #9 on the Billboard album chart. The band claims they didn't even know what an outfield was when they took the name - only that it had something to do with baseball. The first single, Say It Isn't So was released in December '85 and made the top 20. Your Love followed up that success in the spring of '86 by going Top 10. The critics hated it, calling it limp and derivative, but screw 'em. Your Love has a killer power pop hook and is still beloved 4 decades later.
"Your Love" is great power pop. But as I get older, I get more and more uncomfortable about singing those lyrics. :oldunsure:

The Outfield - Your Love

The Outfield's 1985 debut album didn't really sell in their native England, but was a surprise US hit, going double platinum and reaching #9 on the Billboard album chart. The band claims they didn't even know what an outfield was when they took the name - only that it had something to do with baseball. The first single, Say It Isn't So was released in December '85 and made the top 20. Your Love followed up that success in the spring of '86 by going Top 10. The critics hated it, calling it limp and derivative, but screw 'em. Your Love has a killer power pop hook and is still beloved 4 decades later.
"Your Love" is great power pop. But as I get older, I get more and more uncomfortable about singing those lyrics. :oldunsure:
Hmmm. Had never really paid attention as I sang along, but after reading the lyrics, I can see it.

Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs

Of all the bands in this thread that I claim should have been bigger (at least in the States), I think the Psychedelic Furs take the prize. Their only song of to crack the Top 40 was 1987’s Heartbreak Beat (#27). When I bought their greatest hits tape in 1988, that and Pretty in Pink were the only two songs I recognized. Listening the first time, I was blown away by The Ghost in You, Love My Way, Dumb Waiters, etc. A lot of the bands that fit their profile (Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order) ended up breaking through but the Furs didn’t stick around long enough. At least they get to claim the title song for an iconic 80s movie and soundtrack. A rawer version of Pretty in Pink was released as a single in 1981. The band re-recorded a polished up version for the 1986 release.

Stupid Girl - Garbage

I still try to see Garbage every time they roll through. Last time that was on a split bill with Alanis. Loved them both in 1996 but the music of the former has aged way better. Shirley still owns the stage too. Stupid Girl was the fourth single off the band’s 1995 debut and Garbage's only song to make the U.S. Top 40.

I like the "Pretty In Pink" song. I suppose I should give the Psychedelic Furs a listen, though I think I've actually done that before. Amazing what you don't remember.

I’ve seen Garbage twice in 2 years after never seeing them back in the day. They don’t disappoint.

ETA: Butch Vig is the man

I prefer the original Pretty in Pink version much more than the version on the soundtrack. They are also pretty good live.

I like the "Pretty In Pink" song. I suppose I should give the Psychedelic Furs a listen, though I think I've actually done that before. Amazing what you don't remember.
I think you would especially like their first two albums. More of a post-punk vibe.

Manic Monday - Bangles

I don’t know how long it took me to realize that Susannah Hoffs is late for work because she had been up all night having sex. My dumb teen brain just sang along to the words I could make out and hummed through most of the bridge. If I had known at the time Manic Monday was written by Prince, I hopefully would have picked up on it sooner. OTOH, thanks to the video, I really thought Olivia Newton-John’s Physical was about exercising, so maybe not.

I never realized that until you pointed it out. My brain completely has blocked out and skipped over the lyric explaining. I always thought the "He tells me in his bedroom voice, C'mon honey, let's go make some noise" lyric was later that night to make up for the crappy day. The more you learn....

One of the last things I do when putting these lists together is check Rolling Stone’s Top 500 of All Time list. Shocking to me that every song on there from 86/96 was among my Top 11.* Which could either mean I have great taste, or more likely given the disdain for Rolling Stone’s effort, that I’ve simply had my opinions co-opted by The Man.

Aside from both calling NJ home and being able to write a hook, Bon Jovi and Fountains of Wayne don’t seem to have much in common. From a cultural impact standpoint, Livin’ on a Prayer obviously carries a ton more weight than Radiation Vibe. From a personal perspective, no doubt I’m listening to the latter over the former every single time. Rolling Stone ranked Radiation Vibe # 380 and Livin’ on a Prayer #457.

*Not including 3 songs where Rolling Stone was off on the year.

Livin’ on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Radiation Vibe - Fountains of Wayne

Back when I was ten years old, I didn't really listen to entire albums. Just the singles that I knew. Slippery When Wet was the gift that kept on giving. I bought it for You Give Love a Bad Name. Then more just kept coming. Living on a Prayer pretty much doubled the return on my investment.

Back when I was ten years old, I didn't really listen to entire albums. Just the singles that I knew. Slippery When Wet was the gift that kept on giving. I bought it for You Give Love a Bad Name. Then more just kept coming. Living on a Prayer pretty much doubled the return on my investment.
I guess that was little young for you to have memories of slow-dancing to Never Say Goodbye:

Remember when we lost the keys and
You lost more than that in my backseat, baby

Some timeless poetry right there.

I guess that was little young for you to have memories of slow-dancing to Never Say Goodbye:

Remember when we lost the keys and
You lost more than that in my backseat, baby

Some timeless poetry right there.

Yeah, a little too young. My slow dancing didn't kick into gear until Groovy Kind of Love, and Every Rose Has it's Thorn a couple years later.

Aside from both calling NJ home and being able to write a hook, Bon Jovi and Fountains of Wayne don’t seem to have much in common. From a cultural impact standpoint, Livin’ on a Prayer obviously carries a ton more weight than Radiation Vibe. From a personal perspective, no doubt I’m listening to the latter over the former every single time.
Radiation Vibe - Fountains of Wayne
FoW's debut album is a personal favorite. And this is the best song on it.

RIP Adam Schlesinger.

A little recap about the state of popular music at the time before we get to my Top 10.

It's amazing how much more musical diversity there was among the acts that Hit #1 in 1986: Pop (Madonna, Janet Jackson); R&B (Gregory Abbott, Billy Ocean); Girl Groups (Bangles, Bananarama); Ugly Old Dudes (Boston, Genesis); Suave Old Dudes (Robert Palmer, Steve Winwood); Warbly Old Dudes (Michael McDonald); Europop (Falco, Cutting Crew); Faux Metal (Bon Jovi). The less said about Starship the better.

Meanwhile, in 1996, Rock as we knew it was apparently dead: The #1s were all R&B (Mariah Carey, Bone-Thugs-N-Harmony, Tony Braxton); novelty acts (Spice Girls, Los Del Rios), or Celine Dion. And as has been repeatedly pointed out, modern rock radio was kind of played out too. And then came Limp Bizkit.

27 songs released in 1986 hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100.
18 of them have already appeared in the countdown*
7 didn't make the cut, a few which are downright awful **
2 Still to come

* Kyrie; Invisible Touch; Papa Don’t Preach; Venus; Stuck with You; When I Think of You; True Colors; Amanda; You Give Love a Bad Name; Walk Like an Egyptian; (I Just Died) In Your Arms; Keep Me Hangin’ On; Rock Me Amadeus; Addicted to Love; Sledgehammer; Higher Love; The Way It Is; Livin’ on a Prayer,

** Sara; These Dreams; On My Own; Take My Breath Away; Shake You Down; Open Your Heart; There'll Be Sad Songs (To Make You Cry)

8 songs released in 1986 hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100
3 of them have already appeared in the countdown*
4 didn't make the cut
1 still to come

*Always Be My Baby; Tha Crossroads; Wannabe

** Because You Loved Me, You’re Makin’ Me High, Macarena, Unbreak My Heart

Wasted Years - Iron Maiden

For the longest time, I was terrified of Iron Maiden. In middle school, Iron Maiden imagery adorned the paper-bag book covers of a lot of the terrifying big mean kids on the bus. By high school, the burnouts in my industrial arts class were trying to incorporate work Eddie into any project. It wasn’t until I got to college that a fellow Rush fan finally convinced me to give Maiden a chance. Damn. I missed out.

Stinkfist - Tool

There are way bigger Tool fans on this board than me so I don’t have much to say. All I know is that this song started out somewhere in the 30-40 range, and every time I listened to the 1996 Spotify playlist, Stinkfist moved up another 5-10 spots. Another week and it could have been #1.

Stinkfist - Tool

There are way bigger Tool fans on this board than me so I don’t have much to say. All I know is that this song started out somewhere in the 30-40 range, and every time I listened to the 1996 Spotify playlist, Stinkfist moved up another 5-10 spots. Another week and it could have been #1.
Aenima was a bit ... much for me. I always thought this was by far the best track from it.

Stinkfist - Tool

Aenima was a bit ... much for me. I always thought this was by far the best track from it.
The order changes month-to-month, but my tiers have been pretty consistent:

46&2
Eulogy
Push It
---
Stinkfist
H
Aenima
Hooker With A Penis
---
Third Eye
---
Jimmy

That's much more an endorsement of the first 3 than it is an indictment of the middle 4 though.

Paul Revere - Beastie Boys

If you lined up 100 random guys aged 48-54 and asked them to rap/sing along to Paul Revere, I bet at least a third would get every line spot-on. Hell, a lot of them (myself included) could probably do it from memory without the track even playing. I’m not sure another song released in ‘86 could pull those kind of numbers.

Of course, I’m just making up numbers and maybe it’s just me and my friends. From a singles perspective, Licensed to Ill was the gift that kept giving. Paul Revere was the fourth one released in 1986 (we’ve already seen The New Style and Rhymin’ and Stealin’ (which was an album track); Slow and Low and Hold it Now, Hit It didn’t make the cut). In 1987, the Beasties released three more tracks, including the top 10 smash You Gotta Fight For Your Right (To Party). In my experience though, Paul Revere is the only one of those to make middle-aged dads act all goofy.

What I Got - Sublime

I know the rock snobs say we should hate Sublime, but I just can’t. I didn’t even realize that I had a deep abiding love for them until my son pointed it out one day in the car. At first I denied it, but he asked if that’s true, why did I always turn up the volume whenever What I Got or Santeria came on the radio. Point taken.

Sublime had been around for years and released two albums before they finally managed to get some radio play. Unfortunately, Brad Nowell wasn’t around to celebrate as he died from an overdose two months before their third record’s release in July 1996. What I Got reached #1 on the Modern Rock charts and #29 on the Hot 100. The song just feels like summer to me, and even if I didn’t want to admit it, always makes me happy when I hear it.

Regarding Paul Revere, I think one third might be a little conservative. Probably closer to a half. And just to see if I would fit in with the cool kids, I just rapped the whole thing to myself, in my car, without the track playing. Pretty sure I nailed it. I'm a little out of your demographic (47), but it still hit well with us youngsters too.

I remember waiting for the song to pop up so that I could record it off the radio. I bet I did that ten times before I got one where the DJ didn't talk over it. The struggle was real.

Edit: I loved that Sublime album and still gets an occasional play today.

Last edited:
Regarding Paul Revere, I think one third might be a little conservative. Probably closer to a half. And just to see if I would fit in with the cool kids, I just rapped the whole thing to myself, in my car, without the track playing. Pretty sure I nailed it. I'm a little out of your demographic (47), but it still hit well with us youngsters too.
Provide some video or it didn't happen

Users who are viewing this thread