What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1994 - #1 - Notorious BIG - Juicy (1 Viewer)

Bowie had to tell many a young "fan" after his shows that he was not, in fact, covering a Nirvana song.  
Yeah, I liked that they led a new generation of listeners back to Bowie, but I didn't like that some others didn't really make the connection. 

Buddies and I met him first week, he had this little harem, the whole crew all black and purple velvet, 80 degrees out. The hot goth girls definitely did not hang out with Russell. 
I was always shocked at how dedicated goth girls tended to be to scene.  It could be noon in August in central Florida and they would still have on all the heavy makeup and black clothes.  

#7 - Weezer - Buddy Holly

I have to admit that I didn't love Buddy Holly the first 500 times I heard it.  I liked it fine, it certainly has a great hook, but the song just wasn't my jam.  When I started putting together this list, Buddy Holly hovered in the low 20s, but with each successive listen, kept pushing a little higher.  In the end, it almost ended up in the top 5 - just sounds like 1994.

Both Weezer and Green Day should get a lot of credit for opening up alternative radio to sounds beyond grunge and the Chili Peppers - pop that you didn't have to feel cheesy for listening to.  It's hard to fathom that Rivers Cuomo didn't want to include Buddy Holly on the album or release it as a single for fear of it being a novelty song.  Producer Ric Ocasek convinced him to just go with it.  As with the Beastie Boys' Sabotage, the Spike Jonze video is indelibly linked with Buddy Holly and helped drive its popularity.  Rolling Stone ranks it as #484 on its list of the 500 greatest songs of all time.

Buddy Holly

#12 - Nine Inch Nails - Hurt - Meh, never liked as much as the critics, but would make my top 100

#11 - Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah - Meh, good, but not great for me.

#10 - Warren G and Nate Dogg - Regulate - Epic, about where I'd rank it

#9 - Hole - Doll Parts - a little high for me, would never have it over some of the AIC and STP songs already listed, but would have it top 50.

#8 - Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World, Arguably the best cover in the history of rock n roll as far as I'm concerned.  The unplugged album solidified Nirvana as an all time great band for me.   This would probably make my top 5.
Run Like Hell by Kittie might be my favorite 

I'd have "undone" ranked higher than Buddy Holly, might be on an island here though.

Not on an island, as I would too on my personal preferences, but I get the Buddy Holly ranking.

It's funny that @scorchydescribed this as pop you didn't have to feel cheesy about at the time, because I totally felt cheesy about it and counted Weezer as a guilty pleasure.  Maybe it was just the nature of the particular music snobbery I was subjected to then.  I've grown to make my pleasure less guilty over time.  That sounded dirty, also.

Not on an island, as I would too on my personal preferences, but I get the Buddy Holly ranking.

It's funny that @scorchydescribed this as pop you didn't have to feel cheesy about at the time, because I totally felt cheesy about it and counted Weezer as a guilty pleasure.  Maybe it was just the nature of the particular music snobbery I was subjected to then.  I've grown to make my pleasure less guilty over time.  That sounded dirty, also.

Agreed.  Buddy Holly was and still is cheese to me.

Undone, much more nerd rock and what I think of as their contribution to the era in terms of their sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd vote for "Only In Dreams," but that's only because I can a) stand Rivers Cuomo and b) enjoy them without a musical conscience that disallows me taking their first two albums as those befitting a serious act. 

I just loved it back then. Their intro and closing songs bookended a great, great power pop album. 

I'd have "undone" ranked higher than Buddy Holly, might be on an island here though.
Yes.

I'd vote for "Only In Dreams," but that's only because I can a) stand Rivers Cuomo and b) enjoy them without a musical conscience that disallows me taking their first two albums as those befitting a serious act. 

I just loved it back then. Their intro and closing songs bookended a great, great power pop album. 
And yes.

I'd add My Name Is Jonas too. Those are my 3 Weezer go-to's. Kids love Say It Ain't So though.

It really is a fantastic album from start to finish.   The only song I don’t like much is Surf Wax America.  Buddy Holly is worn out at this point and is one of the weaker songs at this point.  In any case, I still listen to the Blue album from start to finish.   There are not many of this albums.   

#6 - Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Seems a little early in the morning for this... The Downward Spiral was easily the most anticipated album of '94 among the industrial/goth set but it wasn't remotely the kind of thing that record stores would stay open past midnight to sell on the day it dropped.  Totally shocking to all of us how huge it got, which created a little bit of a crisis in conscience in the community.

In the early 90s, I would roll around in my POS car with the black NIN sticker adhered to the bumper.  It was a kind of a little club - see someone else with the sticker and give a wave, like the same kind of thing that happens with Jeep Wrangler drivers except with misfits instead of d-bags (apologies to any jeep owners here).  In the first few weeks, everyone in the scene loved The Downward Spiral, recognizing it as a giant leap forward that expanded on the best attributes of Pretty Hate Machine and Broken.  Until MTV put the Closer video in heavy rotation...

Looking back, the idea that TDS and Closer marked some sort of sellout by Reznor is nuts.  Start to finish, the album is as dark and dense as anything in my collection, particularly compared to the generally dance-oriented PHS that all of us adored.  But for a while it didn't matter.  I can vividly remember walking to class one day and hearing Closer blaring out of the open top of said Jeep Wrangler - one with a Pi Kappa Alpha sticker on the back - driven by the same kind of meathead who yelled "freaks" as we walked by his frat house on University Ave on the way to Netherworld.

Do I sound bitter?  I sound bitter, don't I?

For a while. the true scenesters would vacate the floor when the DJ played Closer, rec.music.industrial became over-run with arguments as to whether Trent sold out, and NIN stickers starting showing up on a much nicer set of automobiles.  All good now, though.  Ridiculous to think that a song with the lyric "I wanna #### you like an animal" was some sort of craven attempt for commercial viability, and even if it was, so what?

Closer

Agree Blue album is great.  My Name is Jonas, Say it Ain't So, and Only in Dreams are the best tracks in my opinion.  Hard to argue with rating Buddy Holly high though due to its ubiquitousness and the classic video.  It's not a bad song, either, just overplayed.  Pinkerton as an album is really good from Across the Sea onward (El Scorcho is my favorite Weezer tune).  After that, they definitely fall a bit in the guilty pleasure category, although I think Make Believe is actually a decent album.

This seems about right.  Great song.

Taking a moment to opine on the earlier NIN talk - while I think I slightly prefer Cash's cover of Hurt to the original, it really irritates me when I hear people heap scorn on the original and talk about how Cash saved it.  Obviously the Man in Black is legendary for a reason, but it seems like a real sick joke to Trent Reznor to claim that what certainly seems to be a really personal song is somehow insincere and garbage just because you don't like the musicality.  [rant off]

Ridiculous to think that a song with the lyric "I wanna #### you like an animal" was some sort of craven attempt for commercial viability, and even if it was, so what?
I was way into anti-social punk at the time, but knew its problems and implications sociopolitically, and when I heard a girl named Meredith K (Merry-Mer!) singing this song ("Closer")with gusto, I knew we were in trouble as a society, or could at least see its decline. And I'll leave it there. 

It wasn't commercial. People were just sort of ready for what it entailed. 

scorchy, I think you were able to like or think about that even before it posted. Heh. Or maybe I'm just scatterbrained this morning. 

I'm just saying I was stunned when the yearbook staff started singing it with gusto and it started to be played at restaurants and the like, causing the servers to step it up with alacrity somehow.

I was familiar with industrial from an ex-girlfriend and never, ever expected it to blow like that with lyrics like that. 

A much simpler explanation, GB - I sometimes fatfinger on my chromebook laptop. 
LOL. Don't ever go to motive when a simpler explanation will do. First lawyerly thing I think I really took to heart about practical application of what we were learning at the time. 

Chances are, rock, they're not thinking about you. Unless they're yelling from their Jeep Wrangler, that is. 

Freak. 

LOL. Don't ever go to motive when a simpler explanation will do.
When I'm bored on a conference call, I'll often scroll the nextdoor app on my phone (if you don't know what next door is, consider yourself lucky).  The little emoji buttons tend to be right in the middle of the screen so about once I week, I feel the need to check my activity log so I can go back and remove reactions to completely inane, idiotic, or hateful posts.

I feel the need to check my activity log so I can go back and remove reactions to completely inane, idiotic, or hateful posts
That sounds like a correction in the Bloom Picayune. 

(That's the paper in Bloom County where Milo would always misquote people or quote them out of context deliberately and then offer awful retractions that quoted them out of context again.)

Enjoying all the talk about Weezer.  I think I posted upthread that they were pretty well outside my zone in 1994 so I only knew the hits from the blue album.  I really like Pinkerton so maybe I need to go back to the debut and give it a listen.  

This seems about right.  Great song.

Taking a moment to opine on the earlier NIN talk - while I think I slightly prefer Cash's cover of Hurt to the original, it really irritates me when I hear people heap scorn on the original and talk about how Cash saved it.  Obviously the Man in Black is legendary for a reason, but it seems like a real sick joke to Trent Reznor to claim that what certainly seems to be a really personal song is somehow insincere and garbage just because you don't like the musicality.  [rant off]

this is why i remain so glad nobody ever dared touch Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" in such a way. 

:thumbup:

Appreciate the list.  I graduated high school in '94.

That said, I'd put Jar of Flies songs way higher, and move Hole way down.....never could get into Courtney Love.  I mean Doll Parts is an OK song but meh.

Ive got some more thoughts to share but I'll wait till the list is finished 

Seems a little early in the morning for this... The Downward Spiral was easily the most anticipated album of '94 among the industrial/goth set but it wasn't remotely the kind of thing that record stores would stay open past midnight to sell on the day it dropped.  Totally shocking to all of us how huge it got, which created a little bit of a crisis in conscience in the community.

In the early 90s, I would roll around in my POS car with the black NIN sticker adhered to the bumper.  It was a kind of a little club - see someone else with the sticker and give a wave, like the same kind of thing that happens with Jeep Wrangler drivers except with misfits instead of d-bags (apologies to any jeep owners here).  In the first few weeks, everyone in the scene loved The Downward Spiral, recognizing it as a giant leap forward that expanded on the best attributes of Pretty Hate Machine and Broken.  Until MTV put the Closer video in heavy rotation...

Looking back, the idea that TDS and Closer marked some sort of sellout by Reznor is nuts.  Start to finish, the album is as dark and dense as anything in my collection, particularly compared to the generally dance-oriented PHS that all of us adored.  But for a while it didn't matter.  I can vividly remember walking to class one day and hearing Closer blaring out of the open top of said Jeep Wrangler - one with a Pi Kappa Alpha sticker on the back - driven by the same kind of meathead who yelled "freaks" as we walked by his frat house on University Ave on the way to Netherworld.

Do I sound bitter?  I sound bitter, don't I?

For a while. the true scenesters would vacate the floor when the DJ played Closer, rec.music.industrial became over-run with arguments as to whether Trent sold out, and NIN stickers starting showing up on a much nicer set of automobiles.  All good now, though.  Ridiculous to think that a song with the lyric "I wanna #### you like an animal" was some sort of craven attempt for commercial viability, and even if it was, so what?

Closer
The "Tom Sawyer" of the NIN collection. No NIN fan I know considers it their favorite song, but almost all appreciate its greatness. And when a non-NIN fan brings up Closer, the response is "yes, Closer is great but have you ever heard ####, ****, %%%%... and you really need to listen to "Me, I'm not" to really appreciate the artist."

Maybe cheesy isn't the right word.  Compared to most things being played on alternative radio in 1994, Weezer was perhaps a little cheesy because they embraced hooks and humor.  But being 21 and living in Florida at the time, cheesy had a whole different meaning - Color Me Badd, those Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart duets, or the Miami-bass crap  I posted earlier.  The music snobbery I encountered was from dudes who liked Rush and Joe Satriani, not actual cool music nerds. OTOH, I find the last decade of Weezer to be totally cheesy b/c of it's blatant attempts to get on the radio, so I'm really just talking out of my ### here.

As for guilty pleasures, I think we all draw fine lines at different times and they're at much different places for everyone.  I'll never apologize for loving Genie in a Bottle or Since U Been Gone - perfect pop songs so what is there to feel guilty about?  My secret love for Higher by Creed though (and only that one particular song, I think the rest is awful) does make me feel the need to apologize for loving something so objectively awful, but then I feel even worse because maybe I don't really believe it's awful so I why do I need to hide behind liking it ironically?  

This all was a lot more convincing when I was thinking about it before falling asleep last night... Thank god I didn't dream about a shirtless Scott Stapp.

The "Tom Sawyer" of the NIN collection. No NIN fan I know considers it their favorite song, but almost all appreciate its greatness. And when a non-NIN fan brings up Closer, the response is "yes, Closer is great but have you ever heard ####, ****, %%%%... and you really need to listen to "Me, I'm not" to really appreciate the artist."
Agree with everything you say here, but in fairness, Tom Sawyer still rules.  Even if I like Xanadu better.

When I'm bored on a conference call, I'll often scroll the nextdoor app on our phone (if you don't know what next door is, consider yourself lucky).  The little emoji buttons tend to be right in the middle of the screen so about once I week, I feel the need to check my activity log so I can go back and remove reactions to completely inane, idiotic, or hateful posts.
This happens to me all the time. I will get an email about some nextdoor subject, and I scroll through it, and my fingers accidentally hit those emojis, and then I panic trying to fix it. It will be a serious subject, and my finger hits the laughter emoji. It doesn't happen if I read it on a computer.

Enjoying all the talk about Weezer.  I think I posted upthread that they were pretty well outside my zone in 1994 so I only knew the hits from the blue album.  I really like Pinkerton so maybe I need to go back to the debut and give it a listen.  
I saw them a few years for roughly 2+ songs. I went to see The Pixies (hi Tanner)

This happens to me all the time. I will get an email about some nextdoor subject, and I scroll through it, and my fingers accidentally hit those emojis, and then I panic trying to fix it. It will be a serious subject, and my finger hits the laughter emoji. It doesn't happen if I read it on a computer.
I no longer feel alone in the universe, right down to clicking through to the site via an email.  The laughter can be bad, but not nearly as problematic as hitting the love emoji for dog-whistle posts like "Baltimore city problems are spilling into our nice suburban neighborhood." 😢

Weezer is one of those bands that didn't age well for me.  I liked em ok when the blue album came out but I can't say I really listen to em anymore.

Maybe cheesy isn't the right word.  Compared to most things being played on alternative radio in 1994, Weezer was perhaps a little cheesy because they embraced hooks and humor.  But being 21 and living in Florida at the time, cheesy had a whole different meaning - Color Me Badd, those Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart duets, or the Miami-bass crap  I posted earlier.  The music snobbery I encountered was from dudes who liked Rush and Joe Satriani, not actual cool music nerds. OTOH, I find the last decade of Weezer to be totally cheesy b/c of it's blatant attempts to get on the radio, so I'm really just talking out of my ### here.

As for guilty pleasures, I think we all draw fine lines at different times and they're at much different places for everyone.  I'll never apologize for loving Genie in a Bottle or Since U Been Gone - perfect pop songs so what is there to feel guilty about?  My secret love for Higher by Creed though (and only that one particular song, I think the rest is awful) does make me feel the need to apologize for loving something so objectively awful, but then I feel even worse because maybe I don't really believe it's awful so I why do I need to hide behind liking it ironically?  

This all was a lot more convincing when I was thinking about it before falling asleep last night... Thank god I didn't dream about a shirtless Scott Stapp.
Do you sing Nickelback to ur steering wheel too?😀

they pretty much nuked their own credibility with everything beyond Maladroit. 
As a whole, yes, absolutely. There may be more gems that I'm unaware of because I haven't given them much effort but Perfect Situation, We Are All On Drugs, Troublemaker, and If You're Wondering If I Want To are on my shuffle. Those covers that made the rounds a few years ago are an abomination though.

Appreciate the list.  I graduated high school in '94.

That said, I'd put Jar of Flies songs way higher, and move Hole way down.....never could get into Courtney Love.  I mean Doll Parts is an OK song but meh.

Ive got some more thoughts to share but I'll wait till the list is finished 
Jar of Flies is an all timer. 

It was used particularly egregiously for a sex scene in the Watchmen movie. 
This slipped under the radar but is a perfect example of Hallelujah gone awry. I hear it all the time on bad network television, it seems. Every time I tune in to network TV that song is on to pull at heartstrings. 

#5 - Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

Dolla dolla bill, y'all.

I don't feel particularly qualified to go deep on the Wu, even after watching all four parts of the Showtime documentary Wu-Tang Clan: Of Mics and Men last year (highly recommended).  Just way too many ins, outs, and what-have-yous regarding the personas, output, and legacy.

What I do know is that Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) dropped in November 1993 but word of its greatness didn't make it's way down to Florida till early the following year, coinciding with the release of C.R.E.A.M. as the third single and the associated video getting tons of play on MTV.  All of a sudden, kids I knew from Boca Raton and North Miami Beach started repping Staten Island like it was a thing ("yeah, man, don't #### with me, my grandparents grew up there.").

In a true life example of Wu-Tang truly being for the children, C.R.E.A.M. and Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin' Ta F#### With were  among the most requested songs on "it's scorchy's turn to drive the neighborhood kids to soccer practice" days.  A few years ago when we were in Philly for an Eagles game, my son even asked to visit the Gray's Ferry McDonald's where one Dirt McGirt was arrested : True Philadelphian Hero Boldly Seeks Historical Marker for the ODB McDonald's.

Here's what Rolling Stone had to say in ranking C.R.E.A.M. the #107th best song of all time:

Originally titled “Lifestyles of the Mega-Rich,” the third single from Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) offers a gritty East Coast rejoinder to slick West Coast gangsta rap. Inspectah Deck later recalled writing his verses years earlier, “standing in front of the building with crack in my sock.” Producer RZA pared down what was at first a sprawling crime narrative, and Method Man provided one of the greatest hooks in hip-hop history, an acronym for “Cash rules everything around me,” which he got from his buddy Rader Rukus, and “dolla dolla bill,” a reference to Jimmy Spicer’s early rap single “Money (Dolla Bill Y’all).

C.R.E.A.M.

Ridiculous. That song and its creation beggars belief. 

It's interesting how if you hang out long enough in economically impoverished areas, you'll get poetry out of language. This isn't a "let's walk with my poor brethren" intellectual wankfest, it's just true. You'll meet all sorts of would-be lyricists that write one great thing. 

My friend S.K. wrote this great hook once: 

What you think about this about this, huh?
20 carats on my wrist, bruh
And the 4.6 what

Anyway, I can picture Method's friend. Still a little hungry, loving that he created that, but a little less than happy with his career. 

The Downward Spiral was easily the most anticipated album of '94 among the industrial/goth set but it wasn't remotely the kind of thing that record stores would stay open past midnight to sell on the day it dropped. 

Funny, this actually was the one and only time I was ever in line at a record store at midnight to buy an album.

Funny, this actually was the one and only time I was ever in line at a record store at midnight to buy an album.
Interesting.  I was lined up for Use Your Illusions I and II and Achtung Baby.  Can't remember even knowing of another midnight sale after that - maybe Metallica for the Black album?

Users who are viewing this thread