What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1985 Bears... 2000 Ravens... 2013 Seahawks? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
I honestly believe that at the end of this season, you'll hear this year's Seattle defense mentioned in the same breath as those other two legendary defenses. This isn't just a reaction to the first two games -- I picked them to win it all in the Super Bowl prediction thread last month.

This unit is insane. A defense that you cannot throw on in this day and age is an absolutely remarkable thing.

Love watching them play at home, too.

And they get multiple d-linemen/pass rushers back from suspension/injury in the next few weeks?

None will ever compare to the 1976 Steelers, with 4 Hall of Famers and 8 Pro-Bowlers.

But yeah, that's one helluva defense.

Wait until they play Houston and Indi on the road. Then let's revisit it. Until then.... it's the Panthers and a team with zero wide receivers. A good and perhaps even great D. But before we go with the "legendary" status, let's get a larger sample size. And no, week 3 against Jacksonville doesn't qualify as a viable sample. We -all- know what's gonna happen there.

Slow your roll there big guy. Just because the Panthers and their ONE legit passing threat and the Niners with their ONE legit passing threat couldn't throw on this team doesn't mean that others can't and won't.

THe Hawks are good. very good. Probably the best as a cohesive unit for right now. But to compare them to either the Ravens or da Bears is kind of silly. Looking past the numbers and without giving "rankings", etc, there have been few, if any, comparable defenses not named Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and San Francisco in various eras that can run with the Bears and Ravens. If nothing else, you legitmately had to wonder if your players would survive until the next weeks against some of those teams. Teams played the Ravens and had down weeks for a month after they got beat up so bad. Teams played the Bears and went out shopping for backup QBs the next day.

THe hawks are nice and tough and all that but they are not the Bears or Ravens from those teams.

I'm a believer! Amazing. I don't think they have the offense to win it all, but that defense is terrific!

Slow your roll there big guy. Just because the Panthers and their ONE legit passing threat and the Niners with their ONE legit passing threat couldn't throw on this team doesn't mean that others can't and won't.

THe Hawks are good. very good. Probably the best as a cohesive unit for right now. But to compare them to either the Ravens or da Bears is kind of silly. Looking past the numbers and without giving "rankings", etc, there have been few, if any, comparable defenses not named Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and San Francisco in various eras that can run with the Bears and Ravens. If nothing else, you legitmately had to wonder if your players would survive until the next weeks against some of those teams. Teams played the Ravens and had down weeks for a month after they got beat up so bad. Teams played the Bears and went out shopping for backup QBs the next day.

THe hawks are nice and tough and all that but they are not the Bears or Ravens from those teams.
They've got a ways to go before its even considered, but its a good start. The Ravens got to play Cleveland and Cincy twice that year, not sure those were tough outings for them. And a slight correction, the Niners had Davis (before he hirt his vajajay) and the Panthers had Olsen. Plus they #### down two of the most dynamic rushing QBs in recent history. Like I said, long road to go before deserving comparisons, but their accomplishments are a little better than you're saying. As far as hitting goes though, no teams will ever be as punishing as those Ds because the rules on hitting, especially QBs, have changed so much.

Did Sherman ever got punished for being on the "JUICE" ?

The league seemed to sweep that #### under the rug...while El Gordo gets heat for smoking herb

Didn't you start the "Rah! Rah! Seahawks... Go back to college Pete Carroll" thread?

Seems as though you have some anti-Seattle agenda.

Did Sherman ever got punished for being on the "JUICE" ?

The league seemed to sweep that #### under the rug...while El Gordo gets heat for smoking herb
No, the testing process was flawed so its impossible to know if he was. I haven't seen any decline in his play so I give him the benefit of the doubt, knowing full well that as a Hawk fan it's biased. Whether you believe him or not though, you have to be in favor of a flawless testing process necessary to suspend someone. So the league did the right thing. I wish it clearly exonerated him, but it didn't.

Wait until they play Houston and Indi on the road. Then let's revisit it. Until then.... it's the Panthers and a team with zero wide receivers.
Hmmm. Could have sworn I saw a Niners receiver go for 208 yards in week 1.
And is that high praise for Boldin, or an indictment of the Packers' D?
Neither. I was simply correcting you.
And I contest that one guy getting 200 yards agaisnt Green Bay does not necessarily make him a world-beater. I am sure that as the weeks go on, my opinion on Boldin will be validated.

I totally agree with the OP. Even with injuries and suspensions, they just plug in the next guys and don't seem to miss a beat. That unit is scary good and will only continue to get better when some of those players come back and the current guys are rotating in. Never have I even considered trading for a defense in all my years of dynasty except for now. Have an offer of a 2014 2nd on the table right now to acquire them.

It's still very early in the season, but the Seahawks are putting up amazing figures. Consider that three of their best defenders are not out on the field (Brandon Browner, Chris Clemons, Bruce Irvin) and that two of those contribute to their pass rush (arguably the weakest part of their defense last season).

After their first two games the '85 Bears allowed 35 points and 513 total yards

After week two the '00 Ravens allowed 36 points and 643 yards

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]After the Seahawks first two games, they've allowed 10 points and 460 total yards[/SIZE]

After week three the '85 Bears had allowed 59 points and 958 total yards

After week three the '00 Ravens had allowed 55 points and 901 total yards

[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]We'll see what the Hawks can do in week three, but it sure looks like it'll be better than that. Weeks four and five will certainly be a better test, and I'd like to revisit at that time, but as of right now they look pretty damn good.[/SIZE]

85 Bears: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/1985.htm

00 Ravens: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2000.htm

2013 Seahawks: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/2013.htm

I am a huge Seahawks, but please stop. Only 2 weeks of football and comparing them to the best defenses in NFL history is beyond asinine.

I am a huge Seahawks, but please stop. Only 2 weeks of football and comparing them to the best defenses in NFL history is beyond asinine.
If you consider that they gave up the least amount of points and were fourth in total defense in 2012, I don't think this debate is beyond asinine. They look much better this year.

If you consider that they gave up the least amount of points and were fourth in total defense in 2012, I don't think this debate is beyond asinine. They look much better this year.
Not to mention the shutout they're about to hang on JAX this week.

I miss defenses in the NFL, I would love for the Seahawks to be the third coming of this insane defense, but it is WAY too early to even consider it. Check back in week 7 or so and if they are still on this kind of pace.

This could be like Chris Shelton in baseball, he hit 9 homeruns in the first 13 games in 2006 and was thought to be the next big thing and was going to shatter Barry Bonds home record. He finished the year with 16 homeruns

This could be like Chris Shelton in baseball, he hit 9 homeruns in the first 13 games in 2006 and was thought to be the next big thing and was going to shatter Barry Bonds home record. He finished the year with 16 homeruns
It's probably nothing like that at all.

I guess the point went over your head, here is some help. IT IS TOO EARLY TO TELL IF THEY WILL BE THAT GOOD!!!
Yes, that amazing analogy was way too much for me to comprehend. Keep up the great work.

I guess the point went over your head, here is some help. IT IS TOO EARLY TO TELL IF THEY WILL BE THAT GOOD!!!
Yes, that amazing analogy was way too much for me to comprehend. Keep up the great work.
You too, I will try to keep it simple so you can follow along.

That would be awesome. Do you know any high school basketball players who got off to a great start and then tailed off? That would make for another great comparison.

That would be awesome. Do you know any high school basketball players who got off to a great start and then tailed off? That would make for another great comparison.
Let me look, I will even see if I can get a black and white picture printed off and give you some crayons so you can color in the pictures yourself.

Hey everyone, get this... Rob Scuderi of the L.A. Kings scored a goal on opening night last year.

He didn't score another goal all year!!!

Which of course means that the Seahawks defense will be terrible the rest of this season. :thumbup:

Seattle will at least be able to hang their hat on "how great our DEF was" when they're watching the Super Bowl in February on their TV.

They've played Carolina, SF and are now going up against the helpless Jags (this week) and suddenly they're one of the best DEF ever? Please. Way to early to crown anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, get this... Rob Scuderi of the L.A. Kings scored a goal on opening night last year.

Which of course means that the Seahawks defense will be terrible the rest of this season. :thumbup:
Good job little fella, you looked up some information on your own.

Good job little fella, you looked up some information on your own.
Stay in the shallow end of the pool. Nobody has any clue who you are. Probably best to keep it that way.

I think you're smarter than this. I think you KNOW what he means but don't want to admit that he's right (that it's WAAAAAAAY to early in the season to proclaim anything).

Seattle will at least be able to hang their hat on "how great our DEF was" when they're watching the Super Bowl in February on their TV.

They've played Carolina, SF and are now going up against the helpless Jags (this week) and suddenly they're one of the best DEF ever? Please. Way to early to crown anything.
And they should have lost to Car....lucky fumble won them the game. But go qhead- crown their ###

They've played Carolina, SF and are now going up against the helpless Jags (this week) and suddenly they're the best DEF ever? Please. Way to early to crown anything.
Did the Niners become a terrible offense when we weren't looking?
Even if you're right on that, they still played one bad offense with an even worse one coming up this weekend. So 2 out of 3 terrible offenses and suddenly they're the best DEF ever?

I'm not saying they're terrible, but making statements like you have with only 2 weeks on the books is ridiculous.

And they should have lost to Car....lucky fumble won them the game. But go qhead- crown their ###
You can lose a game and still be an elite defense. The Bears lost 1 and the Ravens lost 4.

I'm not saying they're terrible, but making statements like you have with only 2 weeks on the books is ridiculous.
You see the question mark in the title, yes?
Did you read your first post? You're not questioning anything - you're all in on this proclamation.

Even bringing it up as a question is foolish.
This isn't based on two games. We saw this unit start to play great football late last season.

All I'm saying is that all the pieces are there to be an All-Time-Great defense. And the fact that they could do it in an era in which all of the rules are geared towards offensive football would make it that much more impressive.

You can lose a game and still be an elite defense. The Bears lost 1 and the Ravens lost 4.
You see the question mark in the title, yes?
Did you read your first post? You're not questioning anything - you're all in on this proclamation.

Even bringing it up as a question is foolish.
This isn't based on two games. We saw this unit start to play great football late last season.

All I'm saying is that all the pieces are there to be an All-Time-Great defense. And the fact that they could do it in an era in which all of the rules are geared towards offensive football would make it that much more impressive.
Sure, but let's talk about this toward the end of the season instead of after more than just 2 sub-par offenses. A lot of teams we're playing "great football" towards the end of last season - you remember the Baltimore Ravens, right?

The fact that I took them in 4 of my 5 leagues perhaps makes me a bit biased as well. :)

But I mean everything I wrote. I made it a priority to get them because I see greatness.

Users who are viewing this thread