What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2-year-old fatally shoots his mother at a Walmart in Idaho (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
HAYDEN, Idaho — Employees evacuated the Hayden Walmart on Tuesday following a shooting inside the store.Authorities on the scene around 11:15 a.m. described the shooting as "accidental."

A woman was shopping with four kids, when one of the kids reached into her purse and accidentally discharged the weapon, according to Kootenai County Sheriff's Deputies at the scene.

The gunshot killed the 29-year-old woman. Deputies on scene said the child who accidentally fired the handgun was about 2-years-old.

Deputies said the woman and children were in the back of the store near the electronics area when it happened. Deputies said the woman was in town for holidays and is not from the area.

Video surveillance in the store, along with eye witness testimony helped deputies determine that this was an accident.

Authorities said the woman did have a concealed weapons permit.

The store is currently closed.
Thanks, posty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't have happened if the victim had a gun.

Oh, wait...

sounds like a pretty amazing shot, the US should be recruiting him for the Biathlon

Ultimately sounds like a bad beat story for the woman who was shot.. wrong place wrong time by inches.

Terrible story. It's the damnedest thing how many tote guns in this state however.
I moved to the state almost five years ago. Almost everyone has a gun here. And yet you rarely hear about this type of thing happening. There's a huge respect to be trained properly. Hunting is beyond huge all over Idaho.

I have never owned a gun... and look forward to hunting for the first time this coming year.

I think its funny. If you have a loaded gun in your purse and you let your baby in it...well you deserve to die.

I wonder what kind of gun it was. Safety on? A round in the chamber when the thing is rolling around and in your purse?

I think its funny. If you have a loaded gun in your purse and you let your baby in it...well you deserve to die.
Not funny for the other three kids or the two year who has to live with that the rest of their life.

Officials said the mother had a concealed weapons permit.

The woman's identity has not yet been released.

Deputies said the woman was in town for holidays and is not from the area.
I assume Florida.

Terrible story. It's the damnedest thing how many tote guns in this state however.
I moved to the state almost five years ago. Almost everyone has a gun here. And yet you rarely hear about this type of thing happening. There's a huge respect to be trained properly. Hunting is beyond huge all over Idaho.

I have never owned a gun... and look forward to hunting for the first time this coming year.
Well the good people of Boise (you and I included) are better educated and wealthier than a lot of the State. Much of the population gain here in Boise is people moving from California, and other West Coast urban populations. They are older by and large people who want to retire and just hunt and fish. So in that respect there is a desire to be trained properly in gun safety.

But for a lot of the State it isn't as true. I've seen idiots walking around on the beach at Redfish Lake in the summer with a holstered Glock. I've had poachers come into my camp site and gut a deer- while my family was there - and no ####### way was I going to confront these people. I do love it here but there is an aspect where the worst of Republican fears meld with Western Hillbilly nature. I can't see any reason why someone in Hayden is carrying concealed weapons. If you've never been to Hayden...let me tell you...wonder bread isn't as white as Hayden is. There is very little crime. It's a stunningly beautiful place. And like I said, there is ZERO reason for anyone to be toting a concealed weapon in Hayden Idaho.

Personally 'd rather not have some grandma whose moved here from Orange County shopping at Trader Joes packing heat because she's she's watched too much Fox news and is afraid of something (Boise btw is mostly white and very little violent crime too). And I don't see why any mom in Hayden needs to pack either.

This sort of thing is terrible - on so many levels. This 2 year old doesn't even know how her life will be forever changed.

Oh and I'm a multi-gun owner, and am all for whatever law they want to pass to logically restrict my ownership so this kind of tragedy doesn't happen.

That's just some horrible, horrible parenting. What the hell is your kid doing anywhere near a purse with a loaded gun? I doubt this was some freak occurrence that the kid got in the purse. This just happened to be the time that it went off. Leave the stupid gun at home. You're not going to get mugged in Idaho at 11:15 in the morning idiot.

That's just some horrible, horrible parenting. What the hell is your kid doing anywhere near a purse with a loaded gun? I doubt this was some freak occurrence that the kid got in the purse. This just happened to be the time that it went off. Leave the stupid gun at home. You're not going to get mugged in Idaho at 11:15 in the morning idiot.
You never know when you'll get mugged, but some basic gun safety would have prevented this.

You never know when you'll get mugged, but some basic gun safety would have prevented this.
Seriously, that lady was with 4 kids. If I wanted to mug her, no way she has the wherewithal to stop me b/c she has that gun.

If you have a loaded gun in your purse and you let your baby in it...well you deserve to die.
I agree with this part. There's a certain part of the population that maybe probably should be weeded out. The "unpermitted loaded handgun in purse taking four kids shopping" person is on that list. Sad for the kids though.

Well the good people of Boise (you and I included) are better educated and wealthier than a lot of the State. Much of the population gain here in Boise is people moving from California, and other West Coast urban populations. They are older by and large people who want to retire and just hunt and fish. So in that respect there is a desire to be trained properly in gun safety.

But for a lot of the State it isn't as true. I've seen idiots walking around on the beach at Redfish Lake in the summer with a holstered Glock. I've had poachers come into my camp site and gut a deer- while my family was there - and no ####### way was I going to confront these people. I do love it here but there is an aspect where the worst of Republican fears meld with Western Hillbilly nature. I can't see any reason why someone in Hayden is carrying concealed weapons. If you've never been to Hayden...let me tell you...wonder bread isn't as white as Hayden is. There is very little crime. It's a stunningly beautiful place. And like I said, there is ZERO reason for anyone to be toting a concealed weapon in Hayden Idaho.

Personally 'd rather not have some grandma whose moved here from Orange County shopping at Trader Joes packing heat because she's she's watched too much Fox news and is afraid of something (Boise btw is mostly white and very little violent crime too). And I don't see why any mom in Hayden needs to pack either.

This sort of thing is terrible - on so many levels. This 2 year old doesn't even know how her life will be forever changed.

Oh and I'm a multi-gun owner, and am all for whatever law they want to pass to logically restrict my ownership so this kind of tragedy doesn't happen.
How can they pass a law to restrict something like this from happening?

My point was more to the fact that gun ownership is respected more here than most places in the country. There's always going to be a few idiots no matter what.

Also nice to hear from you. You answered my Boise post almost five years ago and it was quite helpful and we love it here.

(I would have never met WOZ otherwise :D )

Beers on me if you ever want to go toss a few. We rented in the East End for three years and then bought a house near 5Mile and Overland 15 months ago.

HAYDEN, Idaho—A woman was shot and killed by her toddler son inside a Hayden Walmart Tuesday morning.

According to the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office, 29-year-old Veronica Rutledge from Blackfoot, Idaho (509 miles away) was shopping with the 2-year-old boy and other family members when the shooting happened at about 10:20 a.m.

The boy, who was sitting in the shopping cart, reached into his mother's purse and grabbed her gun, according to sheriff's officials. The gun went off, striking the woman.

The sheriff's office says the shooting appears to be an accident.

Deputies said Rutledge and her family were in the back of the store near the electronics area when the gun went off. Employees and shoppers were evacuated from the store, and detectives are inside gathering information from the scene. They are viewing surveillance video and talking to witnesses as part of the investigation.

Officials said the mother had a concealed weapons permit.

Deputies said Rutledge was in town for holidays.

The store will remain closed until 6 a.m. Wednesday.

This may be the single stupidest, most insensitive thing I've read at FBG ever. Beyond stupid really.

Sad story. Having a loaded gun in your purse that is accessible enough for a 2 year old to get to is pretty irresponsible. For it to go off like that, it had to have one in the chamber, not have a safety, not have it properly holstered to prevent the trigger from being accessible, and have a trigger light enough for a 2 year old to pull.

siffoin said:
I can't see any reason why someone in Hayden is carrying concealed weapons. If you've never been to Hayden...let me tell you...wonder bread isn't as white as Hayden is. There is very little crime. It's a stunningly beautiful place. And like I said, there is ZERO reason for anyone to be toting a concealed weapon in Hayden Idaho.
When there aren't any black/brown people around, you don't have to carry a gun... thanks for the tip!

More details:

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Concealed weapons are part of everyday life in Idaho, and that's unlikely to change in the Mountain West state despite a shocking accident in which a 2-year-old boy reached into his mother's purse, got ahold of her gun and shot her in the head inside a Wal-Mart.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, was shopping Tuesday morning with her son and three nieces in Hayden, Idaho, when the small-caliber handgun discharged one time, killing her.

Terry Rutledge, Veronica's father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman's purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Terry Rutledge said his daughter-in-law did not put the weapon "loosely into her purse."

Victoria Rutledge had a concealed weapons permit, and guns were a big part of Rutledge's life, her father-in-law said.

"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press. He complained about people using the incident to attack his daughter-in-law.

Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother's purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff's office said.

The manager of the store, who was nearby when the shot was fired, stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff's office said. The manager and other employees secured the scene and evacuated customers.

The woman's purse was new and was designed to carry a concealed firearm, the sheriff's office said. Detectives continue to analyze video from the store, examine the weapon and interview witnesses, the sheriff's office added.

Terry Rutledge told The Washington Post that Veronica Rutledge and her husband practiced at shooting ranges and each had a concealed weapons permit. He said for Christmas this year, her husband gave her the purse with a special zippered pocket for a concealed weapon.

About 7 percent of adults in Idaho had concealed weapons permits at the end of 2012, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. That ranked Idaho among the top third of states.

Kootenai County, which has about 140,000 residents, has issued close to 16,000 concealed weapons permits, Kootenai County sheriff's spokesman Stu Miller said Wednesday.

"It's very commonplace in northern Idaho for folks to have a concealed weapons permit," Miller said, and most businesses do not prohibit firearms.

Veronica Rutledge lived in Blackfoot, in southeastern Idaho, and her family had come to the Hayden area to visit relatives for Christmas.

She was an employee of the Idaho National Laboratory near Idaho Falls, Idaho, where she was a nuclear scientist. The laboratory supports the U.S. Department of Energy in nuclear and energy research and national defense.

"We're deeply saddened by this tragedy," said Nicole Stricker, a spokeswoman for the lab.

Rutledge graduated from high school in Harrison, a lakeside town in the Idaho Panhandle. She was the valedictorian of her class. She graduated from the University of Idaho with a degree in chemistry.

She had taken the children to Wal-Mart on Tuesday morning to spend their Christmas gift cards, family members said. Her young son, her only child, was in a shopping cart.

Responding deputies found Rutledge dead in the electronics section of the Wal-Mart in Hayden, a rural town of about 12,000 people 40 miles northeast of Spokane.

Colt Rutledge, 32, arrived at the store in Idaho's northern panhandle shortly after the shooting around 10:20 a.m. Tuesday, Miller said. All the children were taken to a relative's house.

Officers viewed surveillance video provided by the store to determine what happened, Miller said.

Like other Western states, gun rights are a big issue in Idaho. State lawmakers passed legislation earlier this year allowing concealed weapons on the state's public college and university campuses. Despite facing opposition from all eight of the state's university college presidents, lawmakers sided with gun-rights advocates who said the law would better uphold the Second Amendment.

Terry Rutledge told the AP that his daughter-in-law "was a beautiful, young, loving mother."

"She was taken much too soon," he said.
:no:

That poor kid is going to be in counseling his entire life.

Sad story. Feel very bad for the two year old when he finds out how his mother died one day. Jesus.

Serious question - had the two year old reached into the purse and the gun went off and killed one of the nieces, is this woman charged with anything?

And like I said, there is ZERO reason for anyone to be toting a concealed weapon in Hayden Idaho. Personally 'd rather not have some grandma whose moved here from Orange County shopping at Trader Joes packing heat because she's she's watched too much Fox news and is afraid of something (Boise btw is mostly white and very little violent crime too). And I don't see why any mom in Hayden needs to pack either.
Other than rape.

Sad story. Feel very bad for the two year old when he finds out how his mother died one day. Jesus.

Serious question - had the two year old reached into the purse and the gun went off and killed one of the nieces, is this woman charged with anything?
Unlikely her own family would bring charges. I was wondering what would have happened had the toddler killed a stranger.

Unlikely her own family would bring charges. I was wondering what would have happened had the toddler killed a stranger.
Well let's say it was a stranger. Probably a little less morbid anyway than contemplating the death of another child, I probably should've said that in the first place.

"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press. He complained about people using the incident to attack his daughter-in-law.
It's absolutely irresponsible to leave a toddler alone with access to a loaded gun.

Users who are viewing this thread