What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2005 FBG/ NFL Mock Draft (2 Viewers)

Do you think it would be a good idea to PM the rest of the first round, or maybe the next 6 picks, just to let them know they are getting close and to check in?I don't have time since I'm leaving working in 2 minutes, but if somebody will be around I think it makes sense. We can try to get round 1 done before the weekend.See you tomorrow.

I am in the process of setting up a shecdule for the picks right now. They will be able to be viewed on the first post of the thread. i will be alloting 6 picks per day with a two hour window for each. At the end of their two hour period, if they have not picked than a consensus pick will be made from any combination of Bobcat, Bloom, Dolfan, JAA, and Bicycle Seat Sniffer that are present at the time. Tax season is really busy for me so I want be omni-present. THe consensus pick should be made promptly after their time has elapsed. I picked You five guys becasue you appear to be the most actively involved in the thread and I hope you are fine with the responsibility.Thanks Logan

I am in the process of setting up a shecdule for the picks right now. They will be able to be viewed on the first post of the thread. i will be alloting 6 picks per day with a two hour window for each. At the end of their two hour period, if they have not picked than a consensus pick will be made from any combination of Bobcat, Bloom, Dolfan, JAA, and Bicycle Seat Sniffer that are present at the time. Tax season is really busy for me so I want be omni-present. THe consensus pick should be made promptly after their time has elapsed. I picked You five guys becasue you appear to be the most actively involved in the thread and I hope you are fine with the responsibility.
Seems like an overreaction. What happened to the sentiment that all we have is time? It's not like the NFL is wringing their hands anxiously awaiting the results.

Taylor,I didn't mean to make you think I wanted this thing to move forward in a flash. I was only thinking that it might be better if we had some loose guidelines.Bobcat,The reason I put the "scrap it" option in there was because it is a legitimate choice. It isn't one we will pick obviously. But it is always a choice, just as "do nothing" is always a choice in any business school case study project. I am certainly in favor of having a minimal framework for this. I just didn't want this to get any further off track in terms of time. But as someone correctly pointed out, we do have lots of time.Anyway, I'll just sit tight and enjoy the picks and try not to get mad when another team picks my player. :mellow:

ltaylortwo hour windows might not work for most. Lets try to get as many picks in, not to exceed a 4 hr window. If you cannot make it in, the consensus will pick.Tom

ltaylortwo hour windows might not work for most. Lets try to get as many picks in, not to exceed a 4 hr window. If you cannot make it in, the consensus will pick.Tom
Point well taken, FFChamp. so here's the deal:Between the hours of About 8 AM to 8pm if a person has not made their pick within a 4 hour timeframe of the last selection, then I empower the afformentioned 5 people (Bobcat, Bloom, Dolfan, JAA, and Bicycle Seat Sniffer) to come to a consensus on who that pick should be. Then we will go on to the next pick. I feel confident that this will keep things rolling at a fast enough pace. And that's right we do have a lot of time.ThanksLogan

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

I was set to take Rodgers if he fell here. Dallas primary offseason need is D and depth at CB is a major problem. No strong safties as such exist at this point so getting a cover corner opposite Newman will help immensely. I'm pretty pleased with this pick considering I think alot of teams behind Dallas have CB needs as well. In addition adding depth at CB can help Newmann shift to a PR/KR role with less injury downside risk freeing up more spots in the front 7 to rotate with (A major problem last year in 4Q).

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

off the boards for the night..... (picking 22 for the Ravens) will check back in the am 8:30 about.
ok..... since that was made ,,,, I can wait a little longer..

Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

I was set to take Rodgers if he fell here. Dallas primary offseason need is D and depth at CB is a major problem. No strong safties as such exist at this point so getting a cover corner opposite Newman will help immensely. I'm pretty pleased with this pick considering I think alot of teams behind Dallas have CB needs as well. In addition adding depth at CB can help Newmann shift to a PR/KR role with less injury downside risk freeing up more spots in the front 7 to rotate with (A major problem last year in 4Q).
As a Cowboys fan I would have been much happier with PacMan and David Pollack.

i actually agree that the vikes would take cody, however i think that in this situation they should take pollack. pollack is going to be a steal...
To make this Mock Draft more realistic, we should have skipped the ViQueens as they went over their alotted time. ;)

Sorry for the delayI want Shaun Cody, DT USCMove Kevin Williams back to DEHe and Udeze will wreck havoc in the pass D next year.Cody and Johnson will clog the middle to stuff the run.
Moving the best DT in the league out to DE where he won't be as affective? Everyone is talking about the Vikes going to a 3-4 but we already have one of the worst LB corps in the league. 3 decent ones need to be found before going to 4. Also if that was the paln I would guess that the Vikes would have picked Wilfork last year as the NT and had Hovan and Williams as DE's.

Most mocks have the Jaguars going DE here. Studio and Showcase: Tuck. Wright: Pollack. GBN: Roth. last free Huddle mock: Cody (Kiper differs, going with Barron presumably to replace Pearson at LT.) The theory is that the Jaguars have trouble rushing the passer and that they need a good DE to complement Stroud-Henderson. A DE is definitely a position to target on draft day or through FA, but it should be noted that the Jaguars still rated #8 against the pass according to FootballOutsiders' numbers, which are adjusted for context and strength-of-schedule. Meanwhile...the Jaguars can't ####### score. 2004: 261 points, 29th in the league. 2003: 276 points, 25th in the league. Sure, they've been breaking in young players like Leftwich the last 2 years and Williams last year. But they also are probably lacking in talent on offense. The OL is merely OK and the offense is almost completely reliant on Taylor. Even assuming Williams develops next year and proves to merit his draft slot, it may only compensate for Smith's inevitable decline (Smith's closest comps according to Drinen's similarity scores not only decline but crash and disappear by the time they are as old as Smith will be in 05). And if something should happen to Taylor...Over the last 2 years, his backups have averaged 3.4 ypc to his 4.6. Frank Coyle's recent mock had Benson going to the Jags, a pick sharks (probably correctly) derided, but it's mostly notable because Coyle ranked Jones higher than just about every other draft expert last year. Is this oversight, or is there is more to Jones' lackluster numbers than lack of opportunity?Cadillac would be a great value pick here but since I can't see him actually being around at 21 in the real draft, I hesitate to pull the trigger and skew the Jags portion of the mock. Instead, since the Jaguars have suggested they fired Musgrave in part because they want to go vertical, and since they have pretty much zero WR talent after Smith and Williams to go with their longballing franchise QB, my pick is:Troy Williamson WR

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal

2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas

3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami

4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan

5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC

6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.

7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas

8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn

9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma

10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia

11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland

12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin

13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia

14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia

15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State

16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah

17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin

18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC

19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB

20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

With the Jaguars surprise pick of Williamson, it makes my desicion easier. I think Clayton can be the do-everything playmaker the Ravens lack in the WR corps. He has a varying skill set that can help Boller develop.

Cadillac would be a great value pick here but since I can't see him actually being around at 21 in the real draft, I hesitate to pull the trigger and skew the Jags portion of the mock.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cadillac were there at 21 -- I'd say it's even money.If the Jags are looking for offensive help -- I would agree with Kiper and go OL... WRs tend to take a while to develop and although Cadillac should be able to step in and be effective right away, I doubt he would get much playing time with Fred Taylor and Greg Jones in the mix.A top OL, like Jammal Brown of Oklahoma could help a lot. Maybe open up bigger holes for Taylor or give more time for Byron Leftwich.Just my :2cents:Edit to add that I can't complain that Brown is slipping... Just means a better tackle will be there for me in the 3rd :D

A top OL, like Jammal Brown of Oklahoma could help a lot. Maybe open up bigger holes for Taylor or give more time for Byron Leftwich.
I could see the Panthers trading down to get Jammal Brown, or maybe even selecting him 14th if he grades out better after the Senior Bowl. The have a pretty good need at RT.

Cadillac would be a great value pick here but since I can't see him actually being around at 21 in the real draft, I hesitate to pull the trigger and skew the Jags portion of the mock. Instead, since the Jaguars have suggested they fired Musgrave in part because they want to go vertical, and since they have pretty much zero WR talent after Smith and Williams to go with their longballing franchise QB, my pick is:Troy Williamson WR
What made Williamson stand out in your opinion over Clayton and potential WRs you could get in the 2nd? His ypc at 19+ and near/better 4.4 (Speed)? His 6'2, 200lb frame (Size)? He does have past injury issues and he is a little raw.I'm not totally against your pick, just looking for a little discussion on Williamson here.

Carnell Williams in a seahawk uniform next season would certainly turn heads in the fantasy community, but the hawks clear need here is to upgrade their very weak LB corps. Kevin Burnett seems like the best LB on the board... the 'hawks had to be disappointed when crowder went to the rams, because if he gets past the rams, he probably makes it to the seahawks pick, where he would be a perfect fit for the need. Jamaal Brown and David Pollack are absolute steals at this point.

Cadillac would be a great value pick here but since I can't see him actually being around at 21 in the real draft, I hesitate to pull the trigger and skew the Jags portion of the mock.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cadillac were there at 21 -- I'd say it's even money.If the Jags are looking for offensive help -- I would agree with Kiper and go OL... WRs tend to take a while to develop and although Cadillac should be able to step in and be effective right away, I doubt he would get much playing time with Fred Taylor and Greg Jones in the mix.A top OL, like Jammal Brown of Oklahoma could help a lot. Maybe open up bigger holes for Taylor or give more time for Byron Leftwich.Just my :2cents:Edit to add that I can't complain that Brown is slipping... Just means a better tackle will be there for me in the 3rd :D
If the draft shakes out the way we have it, its hard to see the jags passing on pollack/tuck/roth or their favorite CB left. the cupboard is bare at DE and CB2. they already have a #1 WR in the making in reggie williams, so i just dont see taking another project like williamson.

Bloom, looking over my wish list at #32, the way things have gone, it's all but certain that a very good DE, OT, or CB is going to be there at #32. I think this is as good a year as any I can remember to be drafting at the bottom of round 1.

Bloom, looking over my wish list at #32, the way things have gone, it's all but certain that a very good DE, OT, or CB is going to be there at #32. I think this is as good a year as any I can remember to be drafting at the bottom of round 1.
yeah, at this point i think the steelers would be licking their chops at the likelihood of getting:marcus spears - perfect fit in the 3/4ORelton brown/adam terry - even though brown is a guard, he can be converted to OT over time, would be a FORCE in the steeler power run game and he softens the blow of probably getting nothing out of simmons. adam terry could be a complete monster at OT, and is great value late in the first - if he was a little more polished, he would be a lock for the top 10.ORjustin miller/marlon jackson/corey webster/brandon browner - with ike taylor and colclough developing, the steelers can afford to take a raw CB and let him learn for a season.the steelers/pats/eagles/falcons will be probably be getting players that grade just as well as the players going in the teens and early 20s, and maybe even in the top 10. GREAT season to picking late in the first, horrible season to be picking early. I have to think just about every top 10 team will be shopping their pick.

If the Jags are looking for offensive help -- I would agree with Kiper and go OL... WRs tend to take a while to develop and although Cadillac should be able to step in and be effective right away, I doubt he would get much playing time with Fred Taylor and Greg Jones in the mix.A top OL, like Jammal Brown of Oklahoma could help a lot. Maybe open up bigger holes for Taylor or give more time for Byron Leftwich.
here's why i went away from brown, a guy i considered and actually at first thought slam-dunk would be my pick. he's played RT throughout college, he seems to project at RT, and the jaguars already have Williams at RT, and he's been exclusively a RT for years now. Maybe one could switch, but I'm not expert enough on this topic to project a position switch and whether or not it would be an upgrade over Pearson (assuming he is ready to play during training camp). And anyway, Pearson and Williams are young guys. I sorta hated the idea of using my 1st round pick to replace one of them.
If the draft shakes out the way we have it, its hard to see the jags passing on pollack/tuck/roth or their favorite CB left. the cupboard is bare at DE and CB2. they already have a #1 WR in the making in reggie williams, so i just dont see taking another project like williamson.
i think i covered most of this in my writeup, but i can add here that williamson has a different skill-set from williams, which makes them an attractive combo. and anyway, there's no difference between saying the cupboard is bare at CB2 and saying the cupboard is bare at WR2. also, WRs take longer to develop, so if you can project a need in a year or 2 that you'd like to fill through the draft, it makes sense to make that pick now.
What made Williamson stand out in your opinion over Clayton and potential WRs you could get in the 2nd? His ypc at 19+ and near/better 4.4 (Speed)? His 6'2, 200lb frame (Size)? He does have past injury issues and he is a little raw.
i liked the contrast in skills between williamson and williams for one. i also thought the speed will give them some much needed ability to stretch the field, even this year. last, williamson seems to be charging up draft boards and clayton falling. at the beginning of the year, you would see clayton ranked about even with edwards, now williamson seems to be the wr3 on more boards.

Not to mention Jamaal Brown, Cadillac, and David Pollack are all still out there (though likely to be gone by #32) Every player you named is on my short list. Will confer with you before making the pick at #32...PM to be sent... :D

If the Jags are looking for offensive help -- I would agree with Kiper and go OL... WRs tend to take a while to develop and although Cadillac should be able to step in and be effective right away, I doubt he would get much playing time with Fred Taylor and Greg Jones in the mix.A top OL, like Jammal Brown of Oklahoma could help a lot. Maybe open up bigger holes for Taylor or give more time for Byron Leftwich.
here's why i went away from brown, a guy i considered and actually at first thought slam-dunk would be my pick. he's played RT throughout college, he seems to project at RT, and the jaguars already have Williams at RT, and he's been exclusively a RT for years now. Maybe one could switch, but I'm not expert enough on this topic to project a position switch and whether or not it would be an upgrade over Pearson (assuming he is ready to play during training camp). And anyway, Pearson and Williams are young guys. I sorta hated the idea of using my 1st round pick to replace one of them.
i think i covered most of this in my writeup, but i can add here that williamson has a different skill-set from williams, which makes them an attractive combo. and anyway, there's no difference between saying the cupboard is bare at CB2 and saying the cupboard is bare at WR2. also, WRs take longer to develop, so if you can project a need in a year or 2 that you'd like to fill through the draft, it makes sense to make that pick now.
What made Williamson stand out in your opinion over Clayton and potential WRs you could get in the 2nd? His ypc at 19+ and near/better 4.4 (Speed)? His 6'2, 200lb frame (Size)? He does have past injury issues and he is a little raw.
i liked the contrast in skills between williamson and williams for one. i also thought the speed will give them some much needed ability to stretch the field, even this year. last, williamson seems to be charging up draft boards and clayton falling. at the beginning of the year, you would see clayton ranked about even with edwards, now williamson seems to be the wr3 on more boards.
great responses. i like the idea of projecting your WR to be complimentary...that being said, you didnt address the fact that the jags have NO ONE at DE. bobby mccray? greg favors? JASON GILDON? stroud and henderson can be absolute beasts and control the line of scrimmage, but without someone getting pressure on the QB, it wont matter, because the QB can just pick on the weaker CB all day. I guess i am just turning into the david pollack fan club, because again, i think he would be the ideal pick for the jags here. he would have the DTs to free him up, an aggressive defensive scheme that suits his style, and he just seems like a jack del rio guy.I have a feeling that Pollack will not make it past 15 after teams get to evaluate him against the other DEs in the draft - all you have to look at is his performance on new years day vs erasmus james's performance in the same game, and its hard to justify grading james higher (unless you run a 3-4, although pollack could be sickeningly good as a 3-4 OLB).big :thumbup: to whichever team lands pollack on draft day.and again, no disrespect to your analysis at all, i think its right on, and i hope the jags OC is saying just that into the GMs ear... think about what kind of WR combo we will have in 2 years, with leftwich throwing, we will be unstoppable!

agreed about terry, bloom. another guy i almost pulled the trigger on. it just depends what you think will happen with pearson i guess. kiper's mock comes right about the same time as reports that pearson has lost a bunch of weight since the injury.if you look at line ratings at footballoutsiders, the jaguars rate right around the average in OL passblocking rating and DL passrushing rating. meanwhile the jaguars play troy edwards. i'd say it's at the least fair to project WR as an equal need to DE or OT. FA will probably decide. I read in I think PFW that they have 20m to spend on FAs and Abraham at DE and Porter at WR were names mentioned.

hey bloom, i was writing my last response while you were writing yours, so to add a little more...i like pollack and he would have been my DE choice. essentially i considered cadillac, williamson, brown/terry, and pollack. i'd like to see more consensus on pollack. that guy's getting projected all over the place.don't forget the jaguars should get spicer and cordova back from injury next year. those names probably don't inspire confidence though...

agreed about terry, bloom. another guy i almost pulled the trigger on. it just depends what you think will happen with pearson i guess. kiper's mock comes right about the same time as reports that pearson has lost a bunch of weight since the injury.if you look at line ratings at footballoutsiders, the jaguars rate right around the average in OL passblocking rating and DL passrushing rating. meanwhile the jaguars play troy edwards. i'd say it's at the least fair to project WR as an equal need to DE or OT. FA will probably decide. I read in I think PFW that they have 20m to spend on FAs and Abraham at DE and Porter at WR were names mentioned.
Free agency will definitely bring some clarity to the jags first round draft priorities - as it stands now i can just see the OC in one ear of the GM and del rio in the other... the case you made for williamson is compelling...so here's a few more subplots...the ravens and jags both have WR as a need, and both should be angling for a marquee WR in free agency. theres NO WAY that edwards or williams drops to either of them, which sets up the possibility of one of them trading up to a top 11 team that is desperate to trade down(lions?). i say top 11 because it seems that the chargers will snap up edwards or williams if either are there at 12.the saints, rams, and seahawks all need help at LB. no way derrick johnson makes it out of the top 10, the clear next best LB (unless someone emerges in the next few months) is crowder. however, those teams have other needs to fill, so crowder could go anywhere from 16-23. the seahawks would be elated to land him.thomas davis is the only marquee safety, and again, a team that identifies him as "their guy" could easily trade up as high as the top 5 to grab him. with the success of defenses led by safeties (ed reed-BAL, polamalu-PIT, dawkins-PHI), safety could become the new MLB - the QB of the defense. i have a feeling that a few teams are going to get a hard on for davis and try to outmanuever each other out of paranoia and pay too much for a high pick to grab him (chiefs?)the teams at the end of the first are smiling like cheshire cats knowing that they will get players that could justifiably gone as high as 10 or 12 with their late first picks. the rich get richer.

One thing I'm noticing is that it's a good bet that a very good DL will end up being available very late in the 1st round this year...GridAss brought it up earlier, but it's not a big need on as many teams as it has been in years past and there are just so many good ones available this year. You've got Cody, Cody, T Johnson, S Merriman, E James, A Hawthorne off the board and still D Pollack and M Spears left...

One thing I'm noticing is that it's a good bet that a very good DL will end up being available very late in the 1st round this year...GridAss brought it up earlier, but it's not a big need on as many teams as it has been in years past and there are just so many good ones available this year. You've got Cody, Cody, T Johnson, S Merriman, E James, A Hawthorne off the board and still D Pollack and M Spears left...
and justin tuck/matt roth the straight pass rushers...another thing i could see going on right now if this were the real draft is eagles fans freaking out at the possibility that cadillac falls to them, and tatum bell owners freaking out that the broncs could draft cadillac. if the colts let james walk you have to think they will take a long look at cadillac too.

with the seahawks 2 hours into their pick, ill be the first to suggest who the "committee" picks for them.with alexander as good as gone, morris not really developing, and no LB really jumping out at me, i think they should take the CADILLAC - carnell williams. i have a feeling that the seattle run game will not miss a beat with the insertion of cadillac. a very exciting pick for the FF world, the debate of who to draft first, making cadillac a legitimate #1 rookie pick over benson and brown because of his excellent situation.

Wow, I wonder what the asking price would be on draft day for teams to slide up from late first, early second to grab one of the falling players! Any trades of recent memory where a team went from pick 30-40 to 24-25 range?

Bloom I was just thinking the same thing, If SAlex is gone Cadillac is the perfect pick. I second it, and if Iron doesn't make the pick in the next two hours, thats the pick.

I think Cadillac would be a good pick too for Seattle.....definitely best player available

Wow, I wonder what the asking price would be on draft day for teams to slide up from late first, early second to grab one of the falling players! Any trades of recent memory where a team went from pick 30-40 to 24-25 range?
last year dallas got a 2nd day pick and a future 1st for dropping from 22 to 43. and houston coughed up a couple of picks to go from 40 to 27.

I would think the Seahawks would take a long look at WR and LB here. Unfortunately for Holmgreen and company there isn't very good value here at either of those positions.Jammal Brown is very enticing here to add depth th the o-line.In the end, I have to agree with you guys and take the Cadillac as insurance in case Morris turns out to not be the answer. I see Seattle's needs as 1) LB; 2) WR; 3) OL -- in that order. Hopefully there will be value at those positions later in the draft...

I think Cadillac would be a good pick too for Seattle.....definitely best player available
I would roll with this also. It makes sense, although not their greatest need.
i would liken it to the mcgahee pick by buffalo - sure we need other positions more, but this guy is a possible franchise back available late in the first, how can we pass on him?

I would roll with this also. It makes sense, although not their greatest need.
i would liken it to the mcgahee pick by buffalo - sure we need other positions more, but this guy is a possible franchise back available late in the first, how can we pass on him?
I've been hearing that Alexander is as good as gone. I think if a guy like Cadillac, who is projected by some as a top-10 talent, were available here, that the Seahawks would jump on him. Further support for that pick here...

22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn

With Seattle showing no signs of resigning shaun alexander and maurice morris not emerging as the heir to the feature back position, cadillac is just too good to pass up here. he projects as a better than average feature RB with the possibility of being a true stud with his vision, cutting ability, speed, and toughness, and is a no brainer and HUGE value at pick #23. LB, WR, and OL present more pressing needs, but the value here is clearly cadillac, who should be able to step in and keep seattle's running game at the same level with no problems.

edit to add: UFFL commish has been PMed

green bay is set up perfectly here, with what i think are their two biggest needs, CB, and DE, presenting the best value at this point in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread