What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints vs Vikes. (1 Viewer)

Who outplayed who?

• The Vikings outplayed the Saints.

Votes: 50 51.0%
  • The Sainsts outplayed the Vikes.

Votes: 48 49.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The "cheating" because of the "bounties" is such Bulls@#$. It is one of the ugly realities of professional sports that fans don't like to face because professional sports and athletes are romanticized and athletes are to whom people, (mistakingly IMO), look to find their heroes. A team was caught and Goodell had to make a statement to ally public outrage. Anyone who does not believe this was/is common throughout the league needs to have a reality check. Most athletes are 20 somethings. I don't know why everyone is so suprised when an athlete does something or is involved in something like this. I don't know about anyone else, but I damn sure wasn't always making the best choices in my 20s.

As to the 2009 championship game, I would say outgaining the opponent 475 yards to 257 yards does not hold a candle to having 5 turnovers against 1 turnover from the opponent. To suggest bounties played into the outcome of the game is a copout, (being polite here).

1. You are assuming that the Vikings didn't have their own little bounty thing going on.....even if on a smaller scale.

Bottom line, it was another game in the Vikings storied history, in which they didn't get it done.

The "cheating" because of the "bounties" is such Bulls@#$. It is one of the ugly realities of professional sports that fans don't like to face because professional sports and athletes are romanticized and athletes are to whom people, (mistakingly IMO), look to find their heroes. A team was caught and Goodell had to make a statement to ally public outrage. Anyone who does not believe this was/is common throughout the league needs to have a reality check. Most athletes are 20 somethings. I don't know why everyone is so suprised when an athlete does something or is involved in something like this. I don't know about anyone else, but I damn sure wasn't always making the best choices in my 20s. As to the 2009 championship game, I would say outgaining the opponent 475 yards to 257 yards does not hold a candle to having 5 turnovers against 1 turnover from the opponent. To suggest bounties played into the outcome of the game is a copout, (being polite here). 1. You are assuming that the Vikings didn't have their own little bounty thing going on.....even if on a smaller scale. Bottom line, it was another game in the Vikings storied history, in which they didn't get it done.
Or they lost the coin toss..

'ArcticEdge said:
'HitNRun said:
The "cheating" because of the "bounties" is such Bulls@#$. It is one of the ugly realities of professional sports that fans don't like to face because professional sports and athletes are romanticized and athletes are to whom people, (mistakingly IMO), look to find their heroes. A team was caught and Goodell had to make a statement to ally public outrage. Anyone who does not believe this was/is common throughout the league needs to have a reality check. Most athletes are 20 somethings. I don't know why everyone is so suprised when an athlete does something or is involved in something like this. I don't know about anyone else, but I damn sure wasn't always making the best choices in my 20s. As to the 2009 championship game, I would say outgaining the opponent 475 yards to 257 yards does not hold a candle to having 5 turnovers against 1 turnover from the opponent. To suggest bounties played into the outcome of the game is a copout, (being polite here). 1. You are assuming that the Vikings didn't have their own little bounty thing going on.....even if on a smaller scale. Bottom line, it was another game in the Vikings storied history, in which they didn't get it done.
Or they lost the coin toss..
........or that....

But you can't tell me the saints were the better team. And if you say 'yes they are, cause they won' then you hate logic. Worse teams beat better teams all the time.
The best team doesn't always win.
This may or may not be true, but the loser pointing it out to the team that beat them just turns into whining & comedy. Go look at the game numbers from the Steelers/Pats AFCG in 2001. Everything AE is saying about the Vikings probably applies there. The Steelers outplayed the Pats, the Pats may or may not have had Spygate working in their favor at that time. The Steelers had more first down, more total yard and lead in TOP. The Pats scored 2 TDs off of special teams. Kordell Stewart :X after the game said something to the effect of "The better team didn't win today". :thumbdown: Get over it. Maybe once the Vikes go to 3 more SBs and win a couple of them the pain will subside. T&P AE, stay strong.

'ArcticEdge said:
'HitNRun said:
The "cheating" because of the "bounties" is such Bulls@#$. It is one of the ugly realities of professional sports that fans don't like to face because professional sports and athletes are romanticized and athletes are to whom people, (mistakingly IMO), look to find their heroes. A team was caught and Goodell had to make a statement to ally public outrage. Anyone who does not believe this was/is common throughout the league needs to have a reality check. Most athletes are 20 somethings. I don't know why everyone is so suprised when an athlete does something or is involved in something like this. I don't know about anyone else, but I damn sure wasn't always making the best choices in my 20s.

As to the 2009 championship game, I would say outgaining the opponent 475 yards to 257 yards does not hold a candle to having 5 turnovers against 1 turnover from the opponent. To suggest bounties played into the outcome of the game is a copout, (being polite here).

1. You are assuming that the Vikings didn't have their own little bounty thing going on.....even if on a smaller scale.

Bottom line, it was another game in the Vikings storied history, in which they didn't get it done.
Or they lost the coin toss..game

'AhrnCityPahnder said:
But you can't tell me the saints were the better team. And if you say 'yes they are, cause they won' then you hate logic. Worse teams beat better teams all the time.
This may or may not be true, but the loser pointing it out to the team that beat them just turns into whining & comedy. Go look at the game numbers from the Steelers/Pats AFCG in 2001. Everything AE is saying about the Vikings probably applies there. The Steelers outplayed the Pats, the Pats may or may not have had Spygate working in their favor at that time. The Steelers had more first down, more total yard and lead in TOP. The Pats scored 2 TDs off of special teams. Kordell Stewart :X after the game said something to the effect of "The better team didn't win today". :thumbdown: Get over it.
Yep. Pretty sure the same thing happened in the Super Bowl as well..the Rams outgaining the Patriots by a lot, but losing the turnover battle and the game.

This may or may not be true, but the loser pointing it out to the team that beat them just turns into whining & comedy. Go look at the game numbers from the Steelers/Pats AFCG in 2001. Everything AE is saying about the Vikings probably applies there. The Steelers outplayed the Pats, the Pats may or may not have had Spygate working in their favor at that time. The Steelers had more first down, more total yard and lead in TOP. The Pats scored 2 TDs off of special teams. Kordell Stewart :X after the game said something to the effect of "The better team didn't win today". :thumbdown: Get over it. Maybe once the Vikes go to 3 more SBs and win a couple of them the pain will subside. T&P AE, stay strong.
I will not get over it. The Saints are a bunch of lucky ### cheating tools. And its awesome that their coaches are kicked out of the NFL. #### them.

Sorry, but this is sad.

The score determines the winner not the stats - that's why they keep score. Those that are Pro-Vike keep pointing to the stats. Turnovers are also a stat. Protect the ball, win the game - it's one of the most reliable indicators of which team wins. Always has been. The team that wins the TO battle by 2+ wins something like 87%+ of the time. The Vikes were on the wrong side of that stat. Whether or not the Saints played "dirty" - the Vikes still lost. Let it go. Move on.

I like AE - but honestly, this is just sad.

I will not get over it. The Saints are a bunch of lucky ### cheating tools. And its awesome that their coaches are kicked out of the NFL. #### them.
Ok, I can't take it anymore.Gregg Williams comes from the Buddy Ryan Skuul of defense, right?http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/08/02/layden.excerpt/1.htmlHe coached two seasons with Minnesota under the very guy you have as your avatar/icon - and they made the Super Bowl, their last:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanBu0.htmAnd Grant is a guy we all respect. I certainly do.So Ryan was good enough for Grant and Grant is good enough for you but Payton who hired (though maybe could not fire) one of Ryan's progeny (perhaps his main mentee) isn't good enough for anyone.Got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vikings outplayed the Saints. (33 votes [55.93%]) Percentage of vote: 55.93% The Sainsts outplayed the Vikes. (26 votes [44.07%])
Might want to check your poll numbers. Looks like some of the folks who actually know something about football have started to check in.

Ok, I can't take it anymore.Gregg Williams comes from the Buddy Ryan Skuul of defense, right?http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/the_bonus/08/02/layden.excerpt/1.htmlHe coached two seasons with Minnesota under the very guy you have as your avatar/icon - and they made the Super Bowl, their last:http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanBu0.htmAnd Grant is a guy we all respect. I certainly do.So Ryan was good enough for Grant and Grant is good enough for you but Payton who hired (though maybe could not fire) one of Ryan's progeny (perhaps his main mentee) isn't good enough for anyone.Got it.
:lmao: Way to connect the dots.. Clown.

:lmao: Way to connect the dots.. Clown.
Much respect to the Vikes fans, you and your FF posts.But as to this, nada.

:lmao: Holy crap ArcticEdge, you must be loving ol Chris Carter these days. Turns out the Vikings are the original bounty team. What a bunch of dirt bags. They should vacate every win they ever had that Carter participated in. Right??? They clearly tried to end people's careers... Take food out of their baby's mouths... HOW COULD THEY??? :cry: To bad the Vikes never won anything that we could demand they return. Cheaters!!!

:lmao: Holy crap ArcticEdge, you must be loving ol Chris Carter these days. Turns out the Vikings are the original bounty team. What a bunch of dirt bags. They should vacate every win they ever had that Carter participated in. Right??? They clearly tried to end people's careers... Take food out of their baby's mouths... HOW COULD THEY??? :cry: To bad the Vikes never won anything that we could demand they return. Cheaters!!!
:lmao:

Bottom line: you cant turn the ball over 5 times and then claim you outplayed somebody.

I'm not trying to pretend that the Saints (5 turnovers) "outplayed" the Niners (1 turnover) in January.

Also, scoreboard.

Bottom line: you cant turn the ball over 5 times and then claim you outplayed somebody.I'm not trying to pretend that the Saints (5 turnovers) "outplayed" the Niners (1 turnover) in January.Also, scoreboard.
Even after 5 turnovers, the score was tied and it went into overtime. Saints won the coin toss, hence got lucky. End of story.

Bottom line: you cant turn the ball over 5 times and then claim you outplayed somebody.

I'm not trying to pretend that the Saints (5 turnovers) "outplayed" the Niners (1 turnover) in January.

Also, scoreboard.
Even after 5 turnovers, the score was tied and it went into overtime. Saints won the coin toss, hence got lucky. End of story.
How can there be any doubt that the Vikings would have turned it over if they had won the toss? I mean, just look at the statistics.

Also, scoreboard.
FYP
Yeah, he still can't get over this. It's sad. I guess every other team that won the coin toss for overtime was just lucky even though this is professional football where defense means nothing. Just goes to show the Vikings had no business being there and why they've been the suck since.

Also, scoreboard.
This stat is the one and only stat that people should focus on:End of story

or this one:

Another important stat

I voted that I felt Minnesota outplayed the Saints but it pretty much ends there. As has been said by some, it doesn't really matter who outplayed who, it matters how many points are on the scoreboard when the final whistle blows.

So even if 100 more people vote the Vikings outplayed New Orleans AND the Saints don't get another vote I'm not sure what's proven.

If AE has to categorize this game as being lost on a coin flip, go ahead (I starkly disagree with that logic) but it's still a loss. I don't see how theoretically losing a game on a coin flip makes it any easier to stomach or more/less valid. I'm not sure what the end in mind here is unless it's to pretty much embarrass yourself.

Hey, Sabretooth, Scoreboard and Superbowl. Wait, how many Lombardis do the Vikes have?

No one cares what you think. And Saints fans don't care what anyone else thinks.

So the only thing you whining like a litle ##### about the NFCCG accomplishes, is that it provides entertainment to us.

And you won't see me whining about lost draft picks, suspended coaches or players, or losing on the last drive to the Niners.

Go whine somewhere else, Sabretooth.

Hey, Sabretooth, Scoreboard and Superbowl. Wait, how many Lombardis do the Vikes have?No one cares what you think. And Saints fans don't care what anyone else thinks. So the only thing you whining like a litle ##### about the NFCCG accomplishes, is that it provides entertainment to us.And you won't see me whining about lost draft picks, suspended coaches or players, or losing on the last drive to the Niners. Go whine somewhere else, Sabretooth.
:confused: Sabe's not the one whining - I don't know exactly what thread your reading. Sabre is a a Packer backer, so your "Lombardi's" comment is about as ridiculous as it gets. Just remember, it's better to let people assume your an idiot than to post and remove all doubt. Your monicker is appropriate though. :thumbup: And why the heck am I defending a Packer fan?????

Hey, Sabretooth, Scoreboard and Superbowl. Wait, how many Lombardis do the Vikes have?No one cares what you think. And Saints fans don't care what anyone else thinks. So the only thing you whining like a litle ##### about the NFCCG accomplishes, is that it provides entertainment to us.And you won't see me whining about lost draft picks, suspended coaches or players, or losing on the last drive to the Niners. Go whine somewhere else, Sabretooth.
:confused: Sabe's not the one whining - I don't know exactly what thread your reading. Sabre is a a Packer backer, so your "Lombardi's" comment is about as ridiculous as it gets. Just remember, it's better to let people assume your an idiot than to post and remove all doubt. Your monicker is appropriate though. :thumbup: And why the heck am I defending a Packer fan?????
And Payton wears mascara too.

And Payton wears mascara too.
You better be talking about Sean, because if you're talking about Walter... :boxing: It's on like Voltron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread