What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Rookie IDP Review (1 Viewer)

Tenacious D

Footballguy
My first impressions after last night of how these guys should be viewed in dynasty rookie drafts. More to come when the draft is complete.

Blue Chips

Sean Weatherspoon, ATL – OLB

I had a first-round grade on Weatherspoon coming out of the season and listed him as such going back to my first mock, pre-Combine. He is the most talented all-around linebacker in this class and will be a stud WLB for years.

Eric Berry, KC – S

Universally recognized as one of top talents in the entire draft, Berry lands in an ideal situation. A struggling offense will give him plenty of time on the field and a weak front seven should give him plenty of tackle opportunities. Berry could play either safety, but should start at strong safety and be an impact player from Week One. His nose for the ball in the air and ability for big returns after the pick are the reasons for comparisons to Ed Reed (BAL). DC Romeo Crennel knows how to utilize a multi-talented safety. Rodney Harrison had two of the best statistical seasons ever by a safety the two years he played all 16 games under Crennel (2003 and 2004).

Ndamukong Suh, DET – DT

A rare talent, Suh can be the rare player to make a fantasy impact on the interior line like Albert Haynesworth. You don’t want to draft him like a top defensive end, but especially in a league that segregates tackles and ends, you don’t want to ignore him like you might most rookie DTs.

Overvalued

Rolando McClain, OAK – LB

Until the linebacker situation in Oakland is sorted, McClain has to be considered overrated. As the first interior linebacker selected in the actual draft, he jumps to the top of IDP draft boards in most tackle-based leagues, which means he’ll be going too early for me until we know what is happening with the Raiders. What I think this means, and it’s not great for McClain, is that the Raiders are definitely heading towards a 3-4 defense. While the team continues to talk about their players in a 3-4 and pundits continue to ignore the clues, the evidence seem to be overwhelming. The move of DE Trevor Scott to SLB last year was the harbinger. The addition of tweeners Kamerion Wimbley and Quentin Groves, as well as the apparent willingness to part with two of their starting linebackers (Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard, both given just mid-level tenders) in the offseason makes it seem more evident. Now with the addition of McClain, who many evaluate as his best fit a 3-4, I really think this is what is being set up. You have an experienced, and successful, 3-4 end in Richard Seymour and with Tommy Kelly a player who is probably better suited as a five-technique DE. Wimbley, Scott, Groves and Sam Williams (another player who has probably been miscast in a 4-3) are all ideal fits for the outside in a 3-4. That leaves the inside, and where I see bad news for McClain. He is probably best suited as the SILB, since he doesn’t project strongly as a pass rusher or in coverage, making him the odd man out in the nickel and dime. Morrison or Howard remain as the WILB, and probably the best fantasy producer. McClain can still be a tackle-machine, but predominantly just a run-stuffer with Earl Holmes as his ceiling. Even in the best case scenario, the Raiders remain a 4-3 and Morrison is moved, to the outside or off the team, McClain doesn’t have the elite athleticism to project his value coming from more than tackles. That still makes him valuable, but not if you are taking him expecting the next Patrick Willis, like some will expect because of his high position in the NFL draft.

Brandon Graham, PHI – DE

With all due credit to HC Andy Reid and talent evaluation capabilities of his staff, I don’t like this pick. Even though it would appear to mean less fantasy appeal, I would have preferred to see Graham as a 3-4 OLB. Graham confirmed the Eagles told him he would be playing DE. I like him even less in the extensive rotation Philly uses in the front four, i.e. it will limit his snaps. His speed and quickness is solid, for a bigger end, but not at the freakish level of a Dwight Freeney to overcome being undersized. Also, his arms are shorter than Freeney’s, which means offensive linemen can get to his body quicker and/or easier, the other reason I would have preferred to see him get an opportunity in a 3-4.

Earl Thomas, SEA – S

There is a lot to like about a guy who should be a ball-hawking immediate starter at FS with the potential to be a top corner, as well. However, a few things concern me enough to not suggest reaching for him. He’s a bit undersized for safety and while he generates some big hits with his speed and timing, he needs to bulk up to be a sure tackler at this level and I worry about his durability if he doesn’t. While he is lauded equally for his potential as a corner due to his coverage skills, this usually ends up as an albatross for a player of his profile because if he isn’t an impact player from day one, a coach is tempted to bounce him around and inhibit his development, see Michael Huff and Reggie Nelson. I see more boom or bust than lock to be a success.

Gerald McCoy, TB – DT

I think he can be a great player, but the comparisons to Warren Sapp are inaccurate and unfair. He doesn’t have the bulk or strength yet to handle NFL offensive linemen. He isn’t as good as Tommie Harris was coming out in 2004, a more realistic expectation for the type of player he could become.

Devin McCourty, NE – CB

Corner has been a fantasy wasteland in New England lately. Now mostly that’s been due to quality of players at the position recently, but the rotation HC Bill Belichick uses and the schemes he employs doesn’t help their stats. McCourty will need to be the next Ty Law or Asante Samuel to standout, which is asking a lot. I like him significantly more in leagues that count return stats. He should earn their primary kick and punt return duties, as well as be a gunner on punt coverage.

Dan Williams, AZ – NT

Most people aren’t in leagues deep enough to need to draft nose tackles, but if you are, I wouldn’t bother with Williams. Nothing to dislike about his potential, but considering he went from late round grade to first rounder based on one season, why bother assuming even this small amount of risk?

Undervalued

Jerry Hughes, DE – IND

If the Ravens, Pats or Dolphins took him, I’d classify him as a blue chipper. I like his potential enough in a 3-4 to be the next Terrell Suggs. Despite being drafted by a team with a 4-3 base, he fell in to the ideal situation. No team is less concerned with size at end than the Colts and GM Bill Polian. He’ll learn the position from two of the best undersized ends in the league.

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE – NYG

Not sure how to classify him because it is hard to predict where people will draft him. I assume he’s going to be overlooked because he doesn’t appear to have an easy path to a starting job (unless Osi Umenyiora is moved before the season). Pierre-Paul gained notoriety as a physical freak, because he didn’t have much of a resume after being a JUCO transfer and playing just one year in Division I. However, he didn’t perform off the charts at the Combine. So Pierre-Paul is all about the dreaded p-word, potential. While I think he is a boom or bust prospect, the main reason I liked him more on April 23rd was because the Giants had drafted him. They rarely make mistakes in their DLine evaluations. While opportunity is not there now, Umenyiora has not shown a return to form from injury and is likely not long for this team regardless, while Mathias Kiwanuka’s contract is up next year. I wouldn’t reach for him as if he were a lock to be an elite DE, but I think most leagues will see him slip beyond the territory where the potential reward exceeds the risk.

Joe Haden, CLE – CB

This guy took a beating for an unimpressive 40-time at the Combine and now ends up out of the limelight in Cleveland. He is flying under the radar despite being an excellent technician at corner and a guy who is not afraid to stick his helmet in there to make tackles. Look for him to be a gunner on punt coverage too, offering an extra tackle or two here and there. There are sexier picks out there at corner, so Haden can make an excellent value pick in leagues that segregate corners and safeties. Expect Sheldon Brown to move to free safety, clearing the way for Haden to start opposite Eric Wright and opposing offenses to pick on him as a rookie.

Kareem Jackson, HOU – CB

Lacks the name recognition outside draftniks and ‘Bama fans that should allow him to fall down drafts despite being a lock to start as a rookie and great upside in run support.

Patrick Robinson, NO – CB

I’m higher than most on Robinson, giving him a borderline first-round grade as I moved him in and out of the round as my mocks progressed. After flashing skills of an ball hawk in the secondary his sophomore year, he digressed the next few years, but I think that has more to say about the quality of those Seminole defenses in having offenses choose to avoid Robinson, rather than a decline in Robinson’s skills. Look for last year’s first-round pick, CB Malcolm Jenkins to shift to FS to make room for Robinson in the top three rotation at corner.

Tyson Alualu, JAX – DT

A shocker with the 10th overall pick in the draft, this reeks of a panic pick by GM Gene Smith when Rolando McClain or C.J. Spiller failed to fall to them and they weren’t able to trade down. That said, Alualu is a solid player with decent potential to have the rare ability to post sacks as an interior player and should have the opportunity with predominantly one-on-one match-ups as the future under tackle who eventually replaces John Henderson. He also offers the flexibility to work at end in certain packages, bolstering his value.

Market Performers

Value should be commensurate with where they are drafted in fantasy leagues.

Derrick Morgan, TEN – DE

I think most share my opinion that Morgan is a tremendously solid player who should put up decent numbers, but doesn’t have the ceiling of a special player at the position like Simeon Rice or Julius Peppers. And I expect he’ll be drafted as such. I can’t get that Orange Bowl film where he matched up against Bryan Buluga out of my head.

Kyle Wilson, NYJ – CB

While drafted in the first round, I don’t expect many to reach for him in fantasy drafts because he is initially slated for a slot corner role with starters Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie in place. I like him to have a very productive rookie year as he’s targeted quite frequently with teams looking to avoid throwing at their starters. He could be a starter sooner than later, as Cromartie could implode off the field at any time.

Jared Odrick, MIA – DE

Going to Miami means he’s going to be a five-technique DE and hence of limited fantasy value. I do think he has the potential to be more of a playmaker than your typical converted DT who is asked to occupy blockers in a 3-4, but that just means his upside is the next Aaron Smith (PIT). More value in real NFL terms than fantasy, but not the wasted fantasy pick most 3-4 ends turn out to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome review, Tony. Thanks very much for posting. :rolleyes:

Eric Berry, KC – S

Universally recognized as one of top talents in the entire draft, Berry lands in an ideal situation. A struggling offense will give him plenty of time on the field and a weak front seven should give him plenty of tackle opportunities. Berry could play either safety, but should start at strong safety and be an impact player from Week One. His nose for the ball in the air and ability for big returns after the pick are the reasons for comparisons to Ed Reed (BAL). DC Romeo Crennel knows how to utilize a multi-talented safety. Rodney Harrison had two of the best statistical seasons ever by a safety the two years he played all 16 games under Crennel (2003 and 2004).
I've been mulling the Rodney Harrison comparison (and Sean Jones) in my head today, too. I've been a little hesitant to make that comparison because Berry is likely to be so much stronger in coverage, but I'm in agreement that the Chiefs will want Berry in that playmaking role. I think there's going to be more interchangeable stuff in this scheme unless/until the Chiefs find someone to help out on the other side in coverage, but I think Berry has plenty of opportunity to produce here.
Overvalued

Until the linebacker situation in Oakland is sorted, McClain has to be considered overrated. As the first interior linebacker selected in the actual draft, he jumps to the top of IDP draft boards in most tackle-based leagues, which means he’ll be going too early for me until we know what is happening with the Raiders. What I think this means, and it’s not great for McClain, is that the Raiders are definitely heading towards a 3-4 defense. While the team continues to talk about their players in a 3-4 and pundits continue to ignore the clues, the evidence seem to be overwhelming. The move of DE Trevor Scott to SLB last year was the harbinger. The addition of tweeners Kamerion Wimbley and Quentin Groves, as well as the apparent willingness to part with two of their starting linebackers (Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard, both given just mid-level tenders) in the offseason makes it seem more evident. Now with the addition of McClain, who many evaluate as his best fit a 3-4, I really think this is what is being set up. You have an experienced, and successful, 3-4 end in Richard Seymour and with Tommy Kelly a player who is probably better suited as a five-technique DE. Wimbley, Scott, Groves and Sam Williams (another player who has probably been miscast in a 4-3) are all ideal fits for the outside in a 3-4. That leaves the inside, and where I see bad news for McClain. He is probably best suited as the SILB, since he doesn’t project strongly as a pass rusher or in coverage, making him the odd man out in the nickel and dime. Morrison or Howard remain as the WILB, and probably the best fantasy producer. McClain can still be a tackle-machine, but predominantly just a run-stuffer with Earl Holmes as his ceiling. Even in the best case scenario, the Raiders remain a 4-3 and Morrison is moved, to the outside or off the team, McClain doesn’t have the elite athleticism to project his value coming from more than tackles. That still makes him valuable, but not if you are taking him expecting the next Patrick Willis, like some will expect because of his high position in the NFL draft.
I'm in agreement with the 3-4 thoughts. I think the Raiders are playing coy here and they're going to be more multiple than they're letting on and I agree that Thomas Howard could be the beneficiary. However, I think McClain is getting a bad rap for his measurables and, while he may never be the sideline-to-sideline threat that guys like Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis have become, I think his instincts make up for a lot of his straight line speed issues. More importantly, setting aside the fact that the Raiders' front office has been a schizophrenic mess in recent years, I can't see them drafting a backer in the top ten to sit him on 40% or more of their defensive downs. The SILB spot is a concern, but I think McClain is a lock to play every down, even if it's Thomas Howard starting next to him. While it may be a reach to predict mid-LB1 numbers immediately, I think that tier will be within his reach, even if the scheme trends predominantly 3-4.
Earl Thomas, SEA – S

There is a lot to like about a guy who should be a ball-hawking immediate starter at FS with the potential to be a top corner, as well. However, a few things concern me enough to not suggest reaching for him. He’s a bit undersized for safety and while he generates some big hits with his speed and timing, he needs to bulk up to be a sure tackler at this level and I worry about his durability if he doesn’t. While he is lauded equally for his potential as a corner due to his coverage skills, this usually ends up as an albatross for a player of his profile because if he isn’t an impact player from day one, a coach is tempted to bounce him around and inhibit his development, see Michael Huff and Reggie Nelson. I see more boom or bust than lock to be a success.
I share the interchangeable safety concerns, but I think Thomas will prove much more effective and valuable in run support than Huff or Nelson. I think this situation plays out more Darren Sharper/Madieu Williams than Michael Huff. I don't think Thomas has Berry's upside, though, so I'll buy the overrated tag if they end up tiered as 1A and 1B after the weekend without a clear indication that Thomas will play a fairly traditional SS role from Carroll/Bradley.Love your work, man. Thanks again for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read TD. :own3d:

Patrick Robinson, NO – CB

I'm higher than most on Robinson, giving him a borderline first-round grade as I moved him in and out of the round as my mocks progressed. After flashing skills of an ball hawk in the secondary his sophomore year, he digressed the next few years, but I think that has more to say about the quality of those Seminole defenses in having offenses choose to avoid Robinson, rather than a decline in Robinson's skills. Look for last year's first-round pick, CB Malcolm Jenkins to shift to FS to make room for Robinson in the top three rotation at corner.
I think it's interesting that the Saints decided to go this route. I think Jenkins can be a stud at Cornerback, but it appears that New Orleans have other ideas and see him as a good safety.

Overvalued

new "evaluation" with Morrison gone ??

Overvalued

new "evaluation" with Morrison gone ??
Cable stated that he expects Lamar Houston to start at LE. With Houston being 6'2"+, 300lbs+, I think this points toward the 3-4 in OAK. However, they are missing one very important piece of the 3-4 puzzle...a space-filling NT.

Overvalued

Thanks for a great read Tenacious. Terrific insight.If I have one quibble, it would be putting McClain in the overvalued category. I appreciate your reasoning, but feel it applies more to McClain's true NFL value as a player than it does his value as a fantasy asset.

From the standpoint of his actual NFL value, I'm not sold McClain will be a true impact defender. And I absolutely agree that his name shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath with Patrick Willis in either regard.

That said, though it is definitely expecting too much for him to put up Willis type numbers for fantasy purposes, I believe McClain is a head and shoulders better fantasy prospect than anyone you'd consider #2. McClain should be the first IDP taken in rookie drafts by a long shot.

Derrick Morgan, TEN – DE

I think most share my opinion that Morgan is a tremendously solid player who should put up decent numbers, but doesn’t have the ceiling of a special player at the position like Simeon Rice or Julius Peppers. And I expect he’ll be drafted as such. I can’t get that Orange Bowl film where he matched up against Bryan Buluga out of my head.

totally have to watch the amount of snaps he gets in preseason with the first team. FF-wise there could be a huge opportunity here

Just to clarify some things:

The team moved Trevor Scott to WLB, not SLB. They have talked about Wimbley at SLB, and Cable referred to Groves as a DE. When looking for a clue as 3-4 or 4-3, those two are in opposite directions.

I think their willingness to part with Morrison and Howard has less to do with their fit in a 3-4, and more to do with their lack of run defense. Now, I think they are both getting scapegoated a bit, and getting some blame for the D-line's deficiencies, but by any measure, these two are not strong against the run. They bring speed, 3-down ability, and athleticism, but there's a give and take with that.

They have put Kelly at 3-tech, and even when Seymour came in, they move Sey around, and kept Kelly there. If you think Kelly's best spot is 5 tech in 3-4, cool, but there's no evidence of that.

Cable said after the draft, they are a 4-3 team, and will do some 'other things'. If someone reads into that "We are gonna run some 3-4" then I think they are reading too much into it. The team has run the 4-3 Cover 1 since the 80's, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Their DC, John Marshall, is a 4-3 guy, period. They haven't drafted or signed a NT, and passed on a lot of guys that could have played that spot.

In the 2nd, they traded back instead of taking Troup, passed on Linval Joseph (A better fit at 5-tech maybe, but better for the 3-4 than Houston), and passed on Terence Cody. If you are going to the 3-4, trade down twice, and Cody is still there, YOU TAKE HIM. Later, passed on Cam Thomas, passed on Kade Weston, on and on.

The coach is saying they are in a 4-3, the DC not having coached it (AFAIK), and no NT anywhere near the roster.

I think what these moves mean is they are tired of getting sand kicked in their face, stopping the run is priority #1, and they are looking to get bigger across the front 7.

For McClain, it remains to be seen if he is a 3-down guy, but Howard looks like one of the nickel backers, even if he isn't starting, and I don't see another coverage guy on the team. Morrison getting traded might mean that McClain is a 3-down guy. And I think he winds up being one of those guys that the coaches hate to take off the field.

MLB and SS for the Raiders has been fantasy gold for a long time. Don't overthink this, McClain should be a tackle machine.

Agree with what mass is saying above. Looking at the Raiders' D roster now and the comments along the way made by Cable, there are just too many questions to get an accurate gauge on what the front seven are going to look like. Along with the absence of a legit NT, the other ILB spot is what leaves me doubtful that we'll see a full transition to the 3-4. Unless they have Ricky Brown slotted in there somewhere, there just isn't a guy on the roster right now that jumps out at me as a fit. Perhaps there is some kind of hybrid thing in the works with all of the versatility on board, but I expect the base to remain 4-3. Can't wait until camp to see what they'll show us.

Just to clarify some things:

The team moved Trevor Scott to WLB, not SLB. They have talked about Wimbley at SLB, and Cable referred to Groves as a DE. When looking for a clue as 3-4 or 4-3, those two are in opposite directions.

I think their willingness to part with Morrison and Howard has less to do with their fit in a 3-4, and more to do with their lack of run defense. Now, I think they are both getting scapegoated a bit, and getting some blame for the D-line's deficiencies, but by any measure, these two are not strong against the run. They bring speed, 3-down ability, and athleticism, but there's a give and take with that.

They have put Kelly at 3-tech, and even when Seymour came in, they move Sey around, and kept Kelly there. If you think Kelly's best spot is 5 tech in 3-4, cool, but there's no evidence of that.

Cable said after the draft, they are a 4-3 team, and will do some 'other things'. If someone reads into that "We are gonna run some 3-4" then I think they are reading too much into it. The team has run the 4-3 Cover 1 since the 80's, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Their DC, John Marshall, is a 4-3 guy, period. They haven't drafted or signed a NT, and passed on a lot of guys that could have played that spot.

In the 2nd, they traded back instead of taking Troup, passed on Linval Joseph (A better fit at 5-tech maybe, but better for the 3-4 than Houston), and passed on Terence Cody. If you are going to the 3-4, trade down twice, and Cody is still there, YOU TAKE HIM. Later, passed on Cam Thomas, passed on Kade Weston, on and on.

The coach is saying they are in a 4-3, the DC not having coached it (AFAIK), and no NT anywhere near the roster.

I think what these moves mean is they are tired of getting sand kicked in their face, stopping the run is priority #1, and they are looking to get bigger across the front 7.

For McClain, it remains to be seen if he is a 3-down guy, but Howard looks like one of the nickel backers, even if he isn't starting, and I don't see another coverage guy on the team. Morrison getting traded might mean that McClain is a 3-down guy. And I think he winds up being one of those guys that the coaches hate to take off the field.

MLB and SS for the Raiders has been fantasy gold for a long time. Don't overthink this, McClain should be a tackle machine.
:kicksrock:

Just one question...do you have a link of Cable announcing Groves as a DE? I'm only asking b/c the Raiders PR announced Groves as a LB after the trade and he's currently listed as a LB on their website.

Groves trade:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports-hea...?nclick_check=1

OAK's roster --- Groves as LB:

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster.html

:thumbup:

Just one question...do you have a link of Cable announcing Groves as a DE? I'm only asking b/c the Raiders PR announced Groves as a LB after the trade and he's currently listed as a LB on their website.
http://www.raiders.com/index2.htmlIf you go to the video of "Coach Cable wrapping up the 2010 draft"

He mentions bringing in "LB Kamerion and Groves, the DE". I would say it is by no means definitive, and the way Cable kinda had to think about his name I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter anytime soon.

Also, in the interview post-Day 1, he is asked that question directly, and says, "We are a 4-3 team".

I think that they are staying in the 4-3, and I am not ecstatic about that, because I think they may be putting pieces into places that I don't feel they might fit best. It's early, tho, so we shall see. There are a ton of guys there that can wind up in more than one spot.

:towelwave:

http://www.raiders.com/index2.htmlIf you go to the video of "Coach Cable wrapping up the 2010 draft"

He mentions bringing in "LB Kamerion and Groves, the DE". I would say it is by no means definitive, and the way Cable kinda had to think about his name I wouldn't pencil him in as a starter anytime soon.

Also, in the interview post-Day 1, he is asked that question directly, and says, "We are a 4-3 team".

I think that they are staying in the 4-3, and I am not ecstatic about that, because I think they may be putting pieces into places that I don't feel they might fit best. It's early, tho, so we shall see. There are a ton of guys there that can wind up in more than one spot.
Thx.

Cable stated that he expects Lamar Houston to start at LE. With Houston being 6'2"+, 300lbs+, I think this points toward the 3-4 in OAK. However, they are missing one very important piece of the 3-4 puzzle...a space-filling NT.
Here's the interview. It sounds like (1) they don't know what they are going to do, so they'll pretend it's a secret or (2) they will go through a disasterous attempt at a hybrid which will alienate all players regardless of scheme they prefer and impeded teaching either to the young players.''http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2010...tom-cable-qa-3/

Q: If Houston is an end, won’t you be a little light at tackle still?

Cable: No. You’ll see the plan when we get there. It’s good. You’ll like it . . . It’s good. But we have some things we’re putting together to get it all sorted out, but you’ll see it in mini-camp.

Q: Why do you like Houston more as an end than a tackle?

Cable: I think because what we’re trying to do is become a little more physical in our defensive front. I think that’s obvious with what we’ve drafted there with our first two picks. You might see some people moved around a little bit, and it gives us a chance to line him up at left end and let him go wrestle with the tight end all day, and that’s a good thing. I think he’s gonna win a lot of those battles.

Here's the interview. It sounds like (1) they don't know what they are going to do, so they'll pretend it's a secret or (2) they will go through a disasterous attempt at a hybrid which will alienate all players regardless of scheme they prefer and impeded teaching either to the young players.''
Those are the two possibilities you came up with?

Overvalued

I am in a tackle heavy league. Put me down in that list who is going to drive McClain's price up. Even if he is not that blue chip MLB or ILB, I feel strongly that he will get those fantasy numbers.

He is the kind of player in that kind of a situation that it is highly probable that someone like me will reach up. I think it is a win win. People like me will provide others who think he is overvalued, other people on the radar to fall a spot more.

My first impressions after last night of how these guys should be viewed in dynasty rookie drafts. More to come when the draft is complete.

Blue Chips

... Ndamukong Suh, DET – DT

A rare talent, Suh can be the rare player to make a fantasy impact on the interior line like Albert Haynesworth. You don’t want to draft him like a top defensive end, but especially in a league that segregates tackles and ends, you don’t want to ignore him like you might most rookie DTs. ...
I was looking for threads on Suh.Long before the draft his talent just lept off the field and his draft status wsn't a suprise to me.

The early book on him was that he would be more of a block gobbler but the Lions run a 4-3 and its a pretty good line and the kid looks as powerful and explosive and as much of a handful as he was in college.

I took him with my final pick in a rookie draft and have inserted him as a starter in week one. I see a generational talent even if his pass rush is limited right now.

Haven't heard much IDP buzz on this guy and my view has changed on him. I went from being sky-high on him as a talent to downplaying him at the time of the draft due to the talking heads who seemed higher on McCoy to changing my tune over the last two weeks when I got to see some of his work in the preseason.

He's a full time starter from day-one.

He's a beast against the run and can collapse the pocket even in the face of double teams.

- I'm seeing a guy with tackle potential at the low-end of 50 tackles with an upside potential of up to 70 or even 80 total tackles

- A guy who will bat down 3-5 passes and he was dropped in coverage in college so maybe a PD or two to boot

- A guy with ability to rush the passer and I see a high end of at least 4-5 sacks with an upside potential of up to 8-10

This is a guy who I think legitimately has the tools to be listed with Reggie White or Warren Sapp, in that talent elite group and people love his NFL talent but he's not getting much luv in the IDP community.

My league doesn't designate between DTs and DEs and I normally wouldn't take a stab at any DT let alone a rookie DT but I think Suh is special and that he'll turn into a solid IDP D-Lineman.

What are some of the takes on Suh? I've gone back forth but my original gut feeling was that the kid was special and I think he will provide at the very least, respectable IDP DL points but he has a decent upside.

Can any Giants homers chime in on Pierre-Paul? How is he doing? Is he progressing? Does he have a chance to start in 2011?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread