What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Denver Broncos - Road to the Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

What week will Manning break the single season passing TD record?

• Week 12 - @ New England

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Week 13 - @ Kansas City

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • Week 14 - vs Tennessee

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Week 15 - vs San Diego

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Week 16 - @ Houston

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • Week 17 - @ Oakland

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Before Week 12

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • He won't

Votes: 10 8.4%

• Total voters
All of those defenses are a joke with the exception of KC and NE which are decent. It's certainly possible.

As a Bronco fan, I'd like to see it happen... but I doubt it will. Somewhere along the way, the human condition will come in to play, and they'll take a week "off" against someone. I'd say it's against the Texans (maybe earlier against the Titans), since it won't impact their spot in the playoffs much.

@ponchsox

NE being decent might be a stretch at this point.. time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember every year when they would do the undefeated watch for manning when he was running off regular season wins in indy.

it's not so easy

With Clady out, this watch will be dead in the next few weeks. Not against Oakland, though.
Clady was shaky vs. the Ravens, and that worked out just fine. Chris Clark is a capable fill-in for a couple of weeks, and Peyton Manning covers for all manner of ills on the line. The losses of Ihatenachos and Ayers would be far more damaging, with Miller and Bailey already out, but both players have tweeted that they're fine, and Bailey should be back any week now.

With that said, I'd bet pretty strongly against this team going 16-0, just because I'd bet against any team going 16-0. I'd expect 13-3 and a 50/50 shot at a superbowl berth.

With Clady out, this watch will be dead in the next few weeks. Not against Oakland, though.
Clady was shaky vs. the Ravens, and that worked out just fine. Chris Clark is a capable fill-in for a couple of weeks, and Peyton Manning covers for all manner of ills on the line. The losses of Ihatenachos and Ayers would be far more damaging, with Miller and Bailey already out, but both players have tweeted that they're fine, and Bailey should be back any week now.

With that said, I'd bet pretty strongly against this team going 16-0, just because I'd bet against any team going 16-0. I'd expect 13-3 and a 50/50 shot at a superbowl berth.
No, he isn't and especially not since they are saying he is potentially out for the year. Have you seen him play? He is horrible against any kind of a speed rush. Ware is going to eat him alive.

Sorry OP, but the Seahawks made Peyton and company look foolish in the pre-season. Maybe the Broncos will go to the Super Bowl as most of the AFC teams are not that good, but if they meet Seattle there.....they will be toast.

Sorry OP, but the Seahawks made Peyton and company look foolish in the pre-season. Maybe the Broncos will go to the Super Bowl as most of the AFC teams are not that good, but if they meet Seattle there.....they will be toast.
This is your argument? Really?

No, he isn't and especially not since they are saying he is potentially out for the year. Have you seen him play? He is horrible against any kind of a speed rush. Ware is going to eat him alive.
I haven't missed a snap of Broncos football in years. I recap the Denver games for FBGs.

Clark is a dramatic drop in terms of pass protection, but Peyton Manning handles his own pass protection. Manning has played with terrible LTs before (Tony Ugoh, come on down!), but he's always among the least-sacked QBs in the league because he's so good at recognizing pressure and adjusting his protection or his play call to ensure he has time to get the ball away. Obviously I'd prefer Clady there as insurance, but if anyone can make do with sub-par tackle play, it's Manning. Meanwhile, Clark is likely an upgrade in the run game, which honestly probably needs the blocking help more than the passing game at this point.

PFF grades Clark out as slightly negative for his career. Honestly, in terms of backup tackles, it could be a lot worse. I can live with Chris Clark at LT.

Anyone saying losing Clady isn't a big blow is really undervaluing pass protection. Manning if I remember correctly had the best pass protection last season. For an immobile QB, if his protection breaks down consistently, the entire offense will falter.

I think they are a good bet to make it to their bye undefeated. Only real tests are Indy & Dallas, two teams they should beat.

But the six weeks after the bye look tough without a single easy game through that stretch. SD & KC are good and they play them each twice through those 6 games with Tennessee & New England. Sure they will be favored in each game, but no room for a letdown game.

Anyone saying losing Clady isn't a big blow is really undervaluing pass protection. Manning if I remember correctly had the best pass protection last season. For an immobile QB, if his protection breaks down consistently, the entire offense will falter.
If I recall correctly, the suspension of Von Miller affected Denver's betting lines by just a point or a point and a half per game. Is the loss of Clady bigger than the loss of Miller?

Clady's a phenomenal tackle, and there's no question he can make Manning's life easier. I'm just saying, if there's any QB who can live with below-average pass protection, it's Peyton Manning.

Edit: Manning's protection broke down consistently against Baltimore. How much faltering did Denver's offense do?

If I recall correctly, the suspension of Von Miller affected Denver's betting lines by just a point or a point and a half per game. Is the loss of Clady bigger than the loss of Miller?

Clady's a phenomenal tackle, and there's no question he can make Manning's life easier. I'm just saying, if there's any QB who can live with below-average pass protection, it's Peyton Manning.

Edit: Manning's protection broke down consistently against Baltimore. How much faltering did Denver's offense do?
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-pressure-plays-offense

Yea, so that's not true AT ALL.

Let's go over some facts from last season. Manning was the least pressured QB from all that qualified having to endure pressure on only 13.3% of his pass plays. He averaged 8.4 yards without pass pressure.

When he was pressured, his yards per attempt dropped to 2.8 yards, a 151.1% drop.

Manning has been successful because he's had time to execute. He may be able to deal with the added pressure, but to assume that it won't have an affect on him is just silly.

@NE could be a real test. Otherwise, I could see them sweeping the regular season and being a coin-flip to win in the Superbowl. I'd say Den has a better chance than most top teams have the majority of the time. Really too bad for them that the Dumervil debacle happened.

the Broncos and Peyton will do what they are very good at,lose in the playoffs to a team they should beat

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-pressure-plays-offense

Yea, so that's not true AT ALL.

Let's go over some facts from last season. Manning was the least pressured QB from all that qualified having to endure pressure on only 13.3% of his pass plays. He averaged 8.4 yards without pass pressure.

When he was pressured, his yards per attempt dropped to 2.8 yards, a 151.1% drop.

Manning has been successful because he's had time to execute. He may be able to deal with the added pressure, but to assume that it won't have an affect on him is just silly.
To quote from that link you provided:

"Finally, no matter what defenses seem to do, the following quartet finishes among the least-pressured quarterbacks when healthy: Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Eli Manning. (Only the first two actually appear immune to pressure.)"

So you provide stats from an article to prove that Peyton Manning is going to cave under the pressure, and ignore the fact that the article called Peyton Manning immune to pressure.

Peyton Manning doesn't face so little pressure because his offensive line is elite. He faces so little pressure because he recognizes defenses before the snap, anticipates blitzes, and changes to a play designed to beat the blitz. He faces so little pressure because he recognizes where the heat is coming from and moves his backs and tight ends around to deal with it (if you watch Peyton for a while, you'll sometimes see him just point to his RB, then point to a spot on the field, and sure enough when the RB goes and stands there he winds up being in the perfect place to stop the oncoming rusher). He faces so little pressure because he has complete autonomy to change to whatever play he wants, whenever he wants, and he's just as elite taking 3-step drops or out of the shotgun as he is taking 7-step drops from under center. He faces so little pressure because he's never caught by surprise. Losing Ryan Clady doesn't mean Manning isn't going to be able to recognize and react to defenses anymore.

From 2007 to 2010, Peyton Manning was the least sacked QB in the league with Tony Ugoh and Charlie Johnson (who currently plays Guard) as his left tackles. He led the league in sack% in three of those four seasons and won two league MVP awards. In 2010, Indy gave up a sack on 2.8% of its plays. In 2011, that rose to 6.9%. In 2011, Denver gave up sacks on 9.2% of its plays. In 2012, that fell to 4.2%. I know sacks aren't the same as pressures, but it illustrates the impact Manning has on his protection schemes.

Peyton Manning doesn't face so few pressures because his offensive line is elite, his offensive line allows so few pressures because Peyton is elite. That's true whether his left tackle is Ryan Clady or Chris Clark. Peyton is a wizard at recognizing the defense and scheming away the pressure, and even without Clady, Denver's offensive line is still better than anything Peyton worked with from 2007-2010 in Indianapolis. And, again, Manning won two league MVPs during that span.

Most people who have taken a look at the interplay between offensive line and quarterback have concluded that QBs are responsible for 50% or more of all pressure they face. People think Peyton's offensive line is so amazing because Peyton keeps putting them in position to succeed. That'll continue even without Clady. Matt Bitonti broke down, analyzed, and ranked the offensive lines for FBGs coming into the season, and he had Denver's line ranked 18th, grading out as just a C in pass protection. The fact that Peyton the least-pressured QB in the league behind that line last season speaks to the impact of Peyton Manning.

I'm not saying that losing Clady is a positive, or that it's a non-issue. I'm just saying that Peyton Manning goes a long way towards patching holes on offense, and that he's won league MVP awards behind much worse lines than this.

This is going to happen. Might as well start this now.

Sep 5 Baltimore W 49-27Sep 15 @N.Y. Giants W 41-23Sep 23 Oakland Sep 29 Philadelphia Oct 6 @Dallas Oct 13 Jacksonville Oct 20 @Indianapolis Oct 27 Washington Week 9 BYE Nov 10 @San Diego Nov 17 Kansas City Nov 24 @New England Dec 1 @Kansas City Dec 8 Tennessee Dec 12 San Diego Dec 22 @Houston Dec 29 @Oakland They might win them all by double digits. Enjoy the run Broncos fans.
Dude don't go to Vegas

Week 3 wasn't close. Should be more of the same next week. I don't see the Eagles stopping this offense. Line is currently at -11. Free money.

Users who are viewing this thread