What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Oakland Raiders thread *** (1 Viewer)

Despite his inexperience, I like the idea of trying Watson out at LT. If he shows any ability at all it would be a good sign for the future.

I know it is a long shot, but I can dream...

I've been anti-Pryor since day one. But clearly he gives the Raiders the best chance to win behind that OL without Veldheer. Flynn will get killed.

Something that not many people are talking about...

With all the cap space being freed up, are there any big time free agent QBs the team can sign in '14 or '15? Instead of having to choose between Bridgewater and Clowney. What about throwing $100 mil at Rodgers and drafting Clowney? I personally don't think we will see anyQBs the caliber of Luck, RG3 for awhile. I guess they could get "lucky" like the 9ers and Seattle did...

With all the cap space being freed up, are there any big time free agent QBs the team can sign in '14 or '15? Instead of having to choose between Bridgewater and Clowney. What about throwing $100 mil at Rodgers and drafting Clowney? I personally don't think we will see anyQBs the caliber of Luck, RG3 for awhile. I guess they could get "lucky" like the 9ers and Seattle did...
That would be the Raiders style to throw 100MM at Jordan Rodgers. Aaron already signed his 100MM contract a few months ago. I think the most likely QB Free agents are Josh Freeman and or Jay Cutler.

Despite his inexperience, I like the idea of trying Watson out at LT. If he shows any ability at all it would be a good sign for the future.

Yeah, anyone can dream. The idea of Watson starting at LT against the Seahawks, despite never having played there in his life does not bode well. He's about as polished as Terrelle Pryor year one. I'm hoping he gets eased into a starting role somewhere 1/3 of the season along, just so we don't go ruining his confidence. He's going to be a player one day, (I hope). Or dream. People are going to rush to judgment on Melenik Watson and it's not fair to him to be thrown in the deep end with no safety net.

Didn't see any good OT's on yesterday's cut list, but you have to think the starting LT for the early season is out there waiting to be plucked off waivers.

I've been anti-Pryor since day one. But clearly he gives the Raiders the best chance to win behind that OL without Veldheer. Flynn will get killed.

Big time QBs do not come on the open market. They are either signed long term by their team or the franchise tag would be used on that player.

Raiderfan32904 said:
32 Counter Pass said:

Yeah, anyone can dream. The idea of Watson starting at LT against the Seahawks, despite never having played there in his life does not bode well. He's about as polished as Terrelle Pryor year one. I'm hoping he gets eased into a starting role somewhere 1/3 of the season along, just so we don't go ruining his confidence. He's going to be a player one day, (I hope). Or dream. People are going to rush to judgment on Melenik Watson and it's not fair to him to be thrown in the deep end with no safety net.

Didn't see any good OT's on yesterday's cut list, but you have to think the starting LT for the early season is out there waiting to be plucked off waivers.
I agree with your point about Watson, but I do not think the Raiders have a solution on their roster at the moment. Watching Barron this past week was brutal. I even saw him holding a defender in the open field on a couple of run blocking plays (unbelievably missed by refs).

Watson may not be an upgrade, but he is more athletic, and, hopefully, more hungry than Barron. He will suffer bumps and bruises through this process. Maybe through coaching and effort he can at least be a stop gap.

There are NOT going to any decent options on the waivers. There may be an upgrade over Barron, but that isn't very hard to achieve.

ICON211 said:
Bruno2 said:

Big time QBs do not come on the open market. They are either signed long term by their team or the franchise tag would be used on that player.
Agreed. By and large elite QBs are acquired through the draft. Bress and Warner are the only two examples that come to mind outside this trend, and Warner tenure was very short term. I have my doubts that Pryor can make us a playoff contender, but there is no question he gives us the best chance to be competitive this year.

Letting him play will answer the questions as to his potential and make the decision about Clowney vs Bridgewater a much easier choice.

ICON211 said:
Bruno2 said:

Agreed. By and large elite QBs are acquired through the draft. Bress and Warner are the only two examples that come to mind outside this trend, and Warner tenure was very short term. I have my doubts that Pryor can make us a playoff contender, but there is no question he gives us the best chance to be competitive this year.

Letting him play will answer the questions as to his potential and make the decision about Clowney vs Bridgewater a much easier choice.
You don't just need a QB, you need a QB with an OC/HC that knows how to use him. So Warner with Vermeil/Martz, Brees with Payton.

I will add Tony Romo was a free agent, from E. Illinois, but again he was discovered and coached up by Payton.

There's a way to do this but you will probably need a new offensive guru one day at OC at least to make it happen.

Forgot about Romo, but I would classify him as part of the "homegrown" group of QBs. He was not a big splash FA signing that made the offense instantly better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahem. Not that this has anything to do with our boys or anything, but ya know.....just in case anyone was wondering, the following players are all on national TV this week:

Jadevon Clowney: Thursday vs UNC 8 p.m. ESPN

Taj Boyd: Saturdayvs. Georgia 8 p.m. ABC

Teddy Bridgewater: Sunday vs. Ohio 3:30 p.m. ESPN

DVR set.

Sigh. Sign of the times when the ***OFFICIAL*** Raiders thread slides all the way to Page 4. Most of us knew this was going to be one of the toughest years to swallow, but not used to seeing our SiIver & Black Pride dip so low.

Anyway, tonight will be bringing my sons to their first NFL "game" in their lives. While it's just a preseason game, and likely one of the worst of the preseason games to watch given that starters will likely not play, excited to indoctrinate my kids to the experience of a live game.

We've live in Seattle for years, one of my kids was born here, and this will likely undo years of careful brainwashing to make them Raider fans and tip them over to rooting for the Hawks (I've let them know they will be excommunicated if this happens). But worth the risk to take them to their first Raider game.

Aside from the starting QB position battle that will likely be decided tonight, anything else you are looking for in terms of positional battles, players who are on the bubble you want updates on, what guys you really want to make the team or want trimmed as dead wood?

For me, will be interested in seeing the following:

• How the team fares against a quality opponent. I've seen a bunch of games across the States in my life, and by far the Link is the loudest field I've been to. It's an environment that is a test for any team, so will be good to see how the non-starters do in this kind of pressure -- calling plays, substituting cleanly, communicating coverage shifts, etc.
  • Ball control -- Seattle has a swarming, aggressive defense, so will be good to see the team keep the rock safe and limit turnovers.
  • Looking forward to seeing Hayden get more snaps under his belt before the regular season.
  • See how Watson does in place of Barron at left tackle.
  • See what Medlock has in his leg-- Seabass is no spring chicken, so interested to see contingencies
Any other opinions on what to be on the lookout for?

Really like all the bullet points you mentioned. I don't imagine the stadium will be very loud for a meaningless preseason game, but I could be wrong. Enjoy the game with your son. Hopefully you can baptize him into the Raider nation. I know how hard it is to do, living in Tampa and trying to convince my kids to be Raider fans. "Dad, why do you like the Raiders? Don't they always lose?"

All the young guys that may be part of the 2014 team.

Pryor.

Menelik Watson.

Hayden.

Sio Moore.

The guards, Nix and Bergstrom.

You don't just need a QB, you need a QB with an OC/HC that knows how to use him. So Warner with Vermeil/Martz, Brees with Payton.
:o you don't like DA/Ollie/Flip to coach up TP2? :o
Just interested in/talking football here, certainly not a certified Raiders follower.

But: Dennis Allen as QB guru? That's what I was thinking - doubtful.

Now, between Saunders and DeFilippo, I guess I know more about Saunders. And there's also Sparano and the wildcat history.

Take Pryor. McCoy and Fox were able to turn Tebow into a 7-2 playoff winner by retooling everything, right? So it could be done. Denver had better personnel I'd say but it would be fun to watch. But it would take commitment, guts, creativity, discipline, leadership and overall really great coaching.

Did something I never thought I'd do. Drafted McFadden. Personally think I lost some of my soul just putting the label on the draft board. But it was round 4 after some huge runs. So................For those of you have been watching, and shuddering about this O-line, does he have ANY chance to be productive in the new blocking scheme? I know they will be terrible, playing from behind, etc. And I know he can't stay healthy. But can he break off runs when he's in there, or should I package and dump now before they show how really bad they are in the real season? I drafted a ton of lottery picks afterwards as RB insurance. What say you Raider insiders?

Just interested in/talking football here, certainly not a certified Raiders follower.

Now, between Saunders and DeFilippo, I guess I know more about Saunders. And there's also Sparano and the wildcat history.

Take Pryor. McCoy and Fox were able to turn Tebow into a 7-2 playoff winner by retooling everything, right? So it could be done. Denver had better personnel I'd say but it would be fun to watch. But it would take commitment, guts, creativity, discipline, leadership and overall really great coaching.
Dennis Allen is a former defensive coordinator. Why would he be seen as a QB guru, or even held to that label?

McCoy and Fox were able to turn Tebow into a 7-2 playoff winner by retooling everything, right? So it could be done. Denver had better personnel I'd say but it would be fun to watch. But it would take commitment, guts, creativity, discipline, leadership and overall really great coaching.
That's a pretty tall order, you have to admit. This is a transitional year, and the most any Raider fan can hope for is to find and galvanize the young core heading into 2014. I wouldn't go far as to say its a lost year only because I think there's a lot of value that can be had in the in-season develpment of the 2013 team.

Did something I never thought I'd do. Drafted McFadden. Personally think I lost some of my soul just putting the label on the draft board. But it was round 4 after some huge runs. So................For those of you have been watching, and shuddering about this O-line, does he have ANY chance to be productive in the new blocking scheme? I know they will be terrible, playing from behind, etc. And I know he can't stay healthy. But can he break off runs when he's in there, or should I package and dump now before they show how really bad they are in the real season? I drafted a ton of lottery picks afterwards as RB insurance. What say you Raider insiders?
After a disastrous experiment going to the zone system, they are back to the system McFadden excelled in.

If Pryor starts, and can create some space and excitement, and extend some drives with his feet, there might be a silver lining, sure.

Dennis Allen is a former defensive coordinator. Why would he be seen as a QB guru, or even held to that label?
Ok, that was my point. My larger post was cut out.

Was saying earlier if a QB is the 1st round draft choice (as was discussed) next year, or whether it's a free agent or a Pryor project or whatever, teams need more than just a talented QB, they need a HC or OC who can formulate a gameplan around them and coach them up to be something special. My point was Dennis Allen was probably not that guy (Olson's probably not either).

Really like all the bullet points you mentioned. I don't imagine the stadium will be very loud for a meaningless preseason game, but I could be wrong. Enjoy the game with your son. Hopefully you can baptize him into the Raider nation. I know how hard it is to do, living in Tampa and trying to convince my kids to be Raider fans. "Dad, why do you like the Raiders? Don't they always lose?"
Oh, both my sons are fully baptized into the Nation, but to your point it's hard to hold that line when we haven't been relevant since Barrett Robbins flaked out.

Stadiums aren't generally as loud during preseason as regular season, but Seattle has really changed my perspective (or at least Century Link Field), and the Hawks fans here are really pumped for this season. Tickets are generally easier to get for preseason than regular season, and don't know if that adds to the "drunk, loud, moronic fan" quotient or not, but the Seattle Police certainly seem to be gearing up for potentially unruly behavior.

Seriously debating having my kids leave their Marcus Allen and Howie Long jerseys at home. Even if the chances of something truly moronic ever happening are slight, even something relatively harmless such as getting razzed may make it less enjoyable for my young guys. Maybe I'm just being a wuss.

All the young guys that may be part of the 2014 team.

Pryor.

Menelik Watson.

Hayden.

Sio Moore.

The guards, Nix and Bergstrom.
Good call outs. Honestly, if Pryor looks good, this could be the brightest spot the team has had since, well, Robbins schizzing out. Pryor has worked his ### off this off season, and the brass has never really given him a chance. If he can put some of that talent to use in any consistent way and be a solid starter, we're on to something, and somewhere up above, Big Al will be smiling (Pryor being his last draft pick and all...).

I would wait and see how he starts the season before thinking of trading him. His first two games look pretty soft, so he might produce. Try to watch the games and see if he gets his points solidly or ugly. If it looks solid, congrats on a good pick. If it looks ugly, try to move him.

Good grief, the defense is getting chewed up by the Seahawks. We can't stop their second string offense, and the QB bootlegs are money vs our defense.

On the bright side Watson looks like a serious upgrade over Barron.

Recap from being at the game: Raiders looked meh yesterday against Seattle. The team didn't seem to have drive or confidence, even for the 4th preseason game.

On Seattle's first drive, the Raiders looked dazed and confused facing Seattle's offensive efficiency. The Raiders looked terrific on run D, penetrating gaps and stuffing runners -- a trend that continued through the first 3 Qs. That's pretty much the lone bright spot. They were absolutely shredded through the air all night, the tone set by a big 50 yard reception in Seattle's opening drive off a nice playfake to a wide-open receiver down the right line. The receiver simply out-hustled Usama Young who was out of position in support.

It is at times like these that the Raiders looked like the same team they have been for a decade+ -- punched in the mouth early, visibly losing pep and the ferocity to fight right back. Yes, it was the 4th preseason game, but from the lack of urgency and energy on the sidelines, the mindset seemed to be that an inevitable loss was sealed right off the first drive.

In his bid to seal the job, Pryor did not look like a dependable starting QB out there. He is gifted with his feet, for sure, but still looked pedestrian and indecisive in the pocket. It is true that the O-line did him no favors last night, giving up a few sacks and not keeping the pocket stable. When Pryor chooses to run, he is quick and fast -- his 25 yard scramble in their second drive was terrific. But he simply does not look like an NFL starting QB. When Tavares Jackson looks way more sharp, precise and control of tempo and rhythm, well, there you go.

Pryor looked feeble throwing anything but short darts to open players. The one INT he threw -- a dying, underthrown duck under pressure -- proved to me yet again that while he may have worked to improve mechanics, his decision-making ability and his ability to check down to through his reads rather than simply flush and run leaves a lot to be desired. He had another terrible back-footed throw to Mastrud that would have been picked off had it not been for a circus grab by the TE (he and Kasa made some good plays last night).

Bottom line, this looks like a QB merry-go-round this year, folks.

Some bright spots included our run D looking a lot more disruptive -- certainly early in the game, we were getting constant penetration and stuffing runners behind the line of scrimmage. Jennings also looked fast and powerful, and his 32 yard scamper in the 2nd was beautiful to watch. Menelik Watson looked decent for a guy playing LT for the first time, incurring no penalties but looking like he still needs to adjust to the position's subtleties.

But these were few and far between. Our secondary coverage downfield was as loose and easy as a $2 hoo-er, and we could not either shut down Seattle on 3rd down defense, nor could we sustain drives by getting 1st downs. We made dumb, momentum killing penalties (guys lining up in the neutral zone on D, false starts, etc.) and some guys went out of their way to step up to the roster-cut chopping block with poor play (looking at you, Phillip Adams).

Were plenty of Raider fans at the game last night, which was nice to see. We need to stick together, this Nation of ours -- it will be a long season, with little hope.

Some other notes -- Kluwe looked useless out on the field on D. Yes, you don't expect to the punter to really shine in anything else but kicking the damned ball, but in addition to whiffing on an easy tackle in the middle of the field, his awkward flailing may have actually contributed to the returner getting some more yardage as Kluwe got in the way of other players.

Gonna be a long tough season,fellow Raider Nation members. Been a fan for over 40 years, and that won't change.

Very clear to me that Terrell has to start over Matt Flynn (has anyone ever made more money off one game than Flynn has?), because of the porous offensive line. I am concerned about his decision-making, but he does energize the offense.

i hope we look at some of these oline cuts. if webb from the bears isn't hurt, we need to bring him in. should look at starks from SD too

Word is Baas got cut, hopefully headed to the PS.

If I had to bet on one position I think the Raiders poach from the scrap heap, I am gonna go with DT. Marvin Austin, Sione Fua, Ron Brace all cut. I know next to nothing about these guys, but they are names I recognize. :2cents: :lol:

Keeping 4 QBs and 2 punters, even if for ony a few days, is another indication of just how low the talent level is on this squad. I bet the under on 5 1/2 wins for the Raiders this year, so at least something positive can come from this soon-to-be-disasterous season.

So, uh, what's up with the 2 punters?

Can't get over Lechler?

What I remember about Kluwe was his repeatedly punting to Reggie Bush in a game in NO where Bush scored 2 punt return TD's and almost scored on another, basically just tripping at the last moment on the way to a third. Vikes HC said he had told Kluwe to punt away from Bush, but he just wouldn't listen.

I think they are trying to get a draft pick from a team that is hungry for a punter. Good luck with that.

Only two healthy tackles on after the final cuts so I would think that is another position of focus as they scour the WW. Waiting for unknown coach's final roster breakdown...

Fantasy tip: start all players facing the Raiders money. Colt players should be money in week 1.

Going to watch Teddy later, DVR'd the game.

Raider cut Kluwe and Wilson to claim the following two players:

McClain, Antoine (via Bal.) G 6-5 336 1 Clemson

Sanford, Brian (via Cle.) DT 6-2 280 3 Temple

Bass was claimed by Bears.

Supposedly ILB Marshall MCFadden from Pitt will be added to PS, along with TE Leonardt, WR Jenkins, and OG Mady.

Bridgewater looked the part. Wish they did not have such a bad schedule so we could get a look at him vs a real good defense. They could play someone real good in a bowl game down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread