What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 WK2 SF @ SEA : Let the bloodbath commence (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this goes one of two ways:

1) This game is totally ugly and uninspiring... a game that not even the most ardent fan can talk up as an instant classic, win or lose. Some sort of 9-7 debacle that makes people turn the TVs off.

or

2) Seattle wins, San Fran goes into a tailspin and finishes below .500. Then Squawk fan, in their eternal quest for validation, upon seeing their lifelong rivals the Niners being no longer relevant will chase after the St Louis Rams and start with their "Hey, we're good at the same time you are good, will you please have a rivalry-with-a-capital-R with us... if yes, check this box" routine, cementing them as the most bizarre, un-sports-fan-ish sports fans on the face of the planet. That would satisfy both my hatred of the Squawk fans and the Ninnies team.
The Hawks collectively have only been in the NFCW for around 12 seasons. The first inaugural season, then the season after they went into the AFCW. It wan't until 2002 that they went back into the NFCW.

Lifelong 49er division rivals are the Lambs to this day. Gotta give the Seachickens another decade to maybe get past their old rivalries first.

I'm amazed SEA is favored in this. Niners strike me as an easy choice here at +3.
I'm amazed that anyone with 45k posts on a football board would be amazed by that. "Home team" -3 in this matchup was probably the easiest spread in NFL history to guess.

Part of me feels bad that 1 of these teams will be starting the playoffs on the road with a 12-4 record but oh well, it was such a garbage division for about 40years that it's probably justice (I know Seattle is relatively new).

1) This game is totally ugly and uninspiring... a game that not even the most ardent fan can talk up as an instant classic, win or lose. Some sort of 9-7 debacle that makes people turn the TVs off.

or

2) Seattle wins, San Fran goes into a tailspin and finishes below .500. Then Squawk fan, in their eternal quest for validation, upon seeing their lifelong rivals the Niners being no longer relevant will chase after the St Louis Rams and start with their "Hey, we're good at the same time you are good, will you please have a rivalry-with-a-capital-R with us... if yes, check this box" routine, cementing them as the most bizarre, un-sports-fan-ish sports fans on the face of the planet. That would satisfy both my hatred of the Squawk fans and the Ninnies team.
The Hawks collectively have only been in the NFCW for around 12 seasons. The first inaugural season, then the season after they went into the AFCW. It wan't until 2002 that they went back into the NFCW.

Lifelong 49er division rivals are the Lambs to this day. Gotta give the Seachickens another decade to maybe get past their old rivalries first.
That's kinda was my point. It was a commentary on the validation-seeking nature of Squawk fans.

When I think Seahawk rivals, I still think more of Denver or Oakland. It'll take more than one season for that to change, and no amount of "You guys are talking about us, so that must mean you're scared" will change that.

or

That's kinda was my point. It was a commentary on the validation-seeking nature of Squawk fans.

When I think Seahawk rivals, I still think more of Denver or Oakland. It'll take more than one season for that to change, and no amount of "You guys are talking about us, so that must mean you're scared" will change that.
Gotcha. The 49ers already have an AFCW rival too across the Bay. Seachickens gotta ways to go before calling us out.

On a neutral field, I take the 49ers winning the game handily. But in Seattle, the noise is going to hurt SF badly with the playcalling. Kaep is still too green in that regard, imo.

I expect a few false starts and delay of game penalties, which incite the fans like a bunch of sharks in blood-soaked waters.

Seattle wins this one 28-17. Seattle fans go nuts for the next few weeks but the universe is returned to normal at the second meeting.

If the 49ers manage to win this game, I will start thinking about Superbowl travel plans.

I'm amazed SEA is favored in this. Niners strike me as an easy choice here at +3.
I'm amazed that anyone with 45k posts on a football board would be amazed by that. "Home team" -3 in this matchup was probably the easiest spread in NFL history to guess.

Part of me feels bad that both of these teams will be starting the playoffs on the road with a 12-4 record but oh well, it was such a garbage division for about 40years that it's probably justice (I know Seattle is relatively new).
Fixed that for ya

Part of me feels bad that both of these teams will be starting the playoffs on the road with a 12-4 record but oh well, it was such a garbage division for about 40years that it's probably justice (I know Seattle is relatively new).
Fixed that for ya
How are both of them going to go 12 - 4 and then start on the road in the playoffs?

Fixed that for ya
How are both of them going to go 12 - 4 and then start on the road in the playoffs?
Rams go 13-3.

I hope it's real. For all the vitriol between coaches and most of the players, its fun to see some guys taking the competition more light hearted As for it not being a rivalry yet, Carroll and Harbaugh make it an instant rivalry. If you can't accept that, it's because you're as dim witted and/or nearsighted as you think the Seahawks/fans are.

I hope it's real. For all the vitriol between coaches and most of the players, its fun to see some guys taking the competition more light heartedAs for it not being a rivalry yet, Carroll and Harbaugh make it an instant rivalry. If you can't accept that, it's because you're as dim witted and/or nearsighted as you think the Seahawks/fans are.
:lol:

I hope it's real. For all the vitriol between coaches and most of the players, its fun to see some guys taking the competition more light heartedAs for it not being a rivalry yet, Carroll and Harbaugh make it an instant rivalry. If you can't accept that, it's because you're as dim witted and/or nearsighted as you think the Seahawks/fans are.
Yeah, Seachicken fan still hasn't gotten over beat downs from Raiderfan to the point where they are now trying to forget them.

Yeah, Seachicken fan still hasn't gotten over beat downs from Raiderfan to the point where they are now trying to forget them.
Thank you for proving my point.

Hey don't blame me. Ram fans and we go back a lot further. Seachickens and the Cards are still The New Kids On The Block. The thing is you still haven't won any Championships historically like all the other three teams currently in the division has. So that means you are still looking up to the rest of us.

ETA: 49ers vs. Dallas was a bigger rivalry than Harbaugh vs. Carroll too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey don't blame me. Ram fans and we go back a lot further. Seachickens and the Cards are still The New Kids On The Block. The thing is you still haven't won any Championships historically like all the other three teams currently in the division has. So that means you are still looking up to the rest of us.

The only "instant rivalry" I can think of is the Avalanche/Red Wings of the early-to-late 90s. But that one was the players legitimately hating each other. This is just a couple of coaches who are bringing their college baggage into the pros. The players don't care. But the fans...

Look, Seattle, there's a reason the NFL moved you from the AFC to the NFC during realignment. They knew if they moved just about any other team, there would be a riot. Seattle....? They're just a team. Moving them would cause the fewest waves. Nobody noticed Seattle, even when they had a Super Bowl team. So now that there is finally a team in the division that is good at the same time they are.... Squawk fan is begging for this to be a rivalry.

Rivalries are made when two teams spend a long time taking each other's lunch. This is just the NFC West finally having more than one good team. There is a difference.... to everyone but Squawk fan.

The only "instant rivalry" I can think of is the Avalanche/Red Wings of the early-to-late 90s. But that one was the players legitimately hating each other. This is just a couple of coaches who are bringing their college baggage into the pros. The players don't care. But the fans...

Look, Seattle, there's a reason the NFL moved you from the AFC to the NFC during realignment. They knew if they moved just about any other team, there would be a riot. Seattle....? They're just a team. Moving them would cause the fewest waves. Nobody noticed Seattle, even when they had a Super Bowl team. So now that there is finally a team in the division that is good at the same time they are.... Squawk fan is begging for this to be a rivalry.

Rivalries are made when two teams spend a long time taking each other's lunch. This is just the NFC West finally having more than one good team. There is a difference.... to everyone but Squawk fan.
Exactly. The one team when they realigned to move out of the AFCW was the Seahawks. Why? Because would they dare move any other team out of those old rivalries?

Exactly. The one team when they realigned to move out of the AFCW was the Seahawks. Why? Because would they dare move any other team out of those old rivalries?
If they told Denver they were moving from the AFC West to the NFC West, what do you think the fallout would have been?

Or the Raiders?

I think the league office held a coinflip between Seattle and San Diego. I'm not sure if you'd say Seattle won the toss or lost it, but they were the ones that moved.

Does anyone else remember back in the 80s? Didn't it seem like Denver and Seattle played each other five times a year? Or was that just because I lived in the Rockies and the TV kept trying to tell me I was supposed to like the Broncos or the Seahawks (or the Niners)?

Fans don't make up the rivalries, teams do. Coaches hate each other, players hate each other. There will be fights and raining yellow flags all game. This is a rivalry game, if you can't see that your blind.

Seattle wins by +4.

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

So who's talking that its the biggest rivalry? It's a pretty serious one between the coaches. The league thinks its a pretty big rivalry this year, as does the media. Oh, and the players and fans. It doesn't have to be decades old before its a rivalry. Manning/Brady wasn't a decade old, Cutler/Rivers had a nice rivalry going early on early in their careers. Just a bunch of football hipsters trying to convince others that their rivalry was cooler because its older. New ones start every year and when matchups like coach v coach, QB vs QB, division rivals both being SB favorites etc then it absolutely defines a rivalry. Congrats, yours is older, you get an ironic quinoa cookie.

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

So who's talking that its the biggest rivalry? It's a pretty serious one between the coaches. The league thinks its a pretty big rivalry this year, as does the media. Oh, and the players and fans. It doesn't have to be decades old before its a rivalry. Manning/Brady wasn't a decade old, Cutler/Rivers had a nice rivalry going early on early in their careers. Just a bunch of football hipsters trying to convince others that their rivalry was cooler because its older. New ones start every year and when matchups like coach v coach, QB vs QB, division rivals both being SB favorites etc then it absolutely defines a rivalry. Congrats, yours is older, you get an ironic quinoa cookie.
WELL I GUESS WE CAN THROW OUT THE BEARS VS. PACKERS

drummer said:
Junior McSpiffy said:
drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Thank you for proving my point, football hipsters. Guess no one on the SF side considers this a rivalry and all the media are wrong.

Fans don't make up the rivalries, teams do. Coaches hate each other, players hate each other. There will be fights and raining yellow flags all game. This is a rivalry game, if you can't see that your blind.

Seattle wins by +4.
Coaches come and go, and so do fans. Even some teams move from their old cities. The Seahawks moved from one division to another, and then back.

But you're still under a few rungs when it comes to a 49er rivalry. You're not there yet. Deal with it.

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Throw it out where, or why? The only ones trying to say that it's the biggest rivalry are the guys trying so hard to assert that their team has older rivalries. Like I said, congrats. Doesn't change that this is a rivalry now.

drummer said:
Junior McSpiffy said:
drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Thank you for proving my point, football hipsters. Guess no one on the SF side considers this a rivalry and all the media are wrong.
Jeebus, no wonder Packer fan get's on you.

Seattle wins by +4.
Coaches come and go, and so do fans. Even some teams move from their old cities. The Seahawks moved from one division to another, and then back.

But you're still under a few rungs when it comes to a 49er rivalry. You're not there yet. Deal with it.
MY FOOTBALL TEAM WAS COOLER BEFORE YOURS WAS!!!!! You're a complete dimwit if you don't think this is a new rivalry. The only ones trying to say its bigger/better/older than any other rivalry are you guys.

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Throw it out where, or why? The only ones trying to say that it's the biggest rivalry are the guys trying so hard to assert that their team has older rivalries. Like I said, congrats. Doesn't change that this is a rivalry now.
Bears, Packers, Rams and the 49ers were in the same division for a number of seasons too.

Seattle wins by +4.

MY FOOTBALL TEAM WAS COOLER BEFORE YOURS WAS!!!!!You're a complete dimwit if you don't think this is a new rivalry. The only ones trying to say its bigger/better/older than any other rivalry are you guys.
Charles Haley to Dallas makes me more bitter than the Chickens winning the Division at 7-9.

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Bears, Packers, Rams and the 49ers were in the same division for a number of seasons too.
So?

Seattle wins by +4.

MY FOOTBALL TEAM WAS COOLER BEFORE YOURS WAS!!!!!You're a complete dimwit if you don't think this is a new rivalry. The only ones trying to say its bigger/better/older than any other rivalry are you guys.
Charles Haley to Dallas makes me more bitter than the Chickens winning the Division at 7-9.
I'M SO IRONIC THAT ONLY THINGS IN THE PAST AFFECT ME! I'M NOT EVEN WATCHING THIS GAME SO I CAN GO TO A FOOD TRUCK FOLK JAMBOREE.

Seattle wins by +4.

I will add that on my list of things to do today.

Seattle wins by +4.

I'M SO IRONIC THAT ONLY THINGS IN THE PAST AFFECT ME! I'M NOT EVEN WATCHING THIS GAME SO I CAN GO TO A FOOD TRUCK FOLK JAMBOREE.
Troy Aikman isn't that much older than I am.

Packer fan makes me more bitter than Chicken fan.
Once again, the only people trying to add longevity or gravitas to the rivalry seem to be the ones trying to prove how much cooler their team is.
You're not doing a good job creating bad blood in a bloodbath. Just pointing that out for ya.
I'm not trying to create bad blood, so, uh, thanks, I guess. I always appreciate when people tell me im not doing something that i'm not trying to do. The blood bath is on the field. We're just anonymous twits on a message board. You are doing a good job of proving my earlier point though.

Packer fan makes me more bitter than Chicken fan.
Once again, the only people trying to add longevity or gravitas to the rivalry seem to be the ones trying to prove how much cooler their team is.
You're not doing a good job creating bad blood in a bloodbath. Just pointing that out for ya.
I'm not trying to create bad blood, so, uh, thanks, I guess. I always appreciate when people tell me im not doing something that i'm not trying to do. The blood bath is on the field. We're just anonymous twits on a message board. You are doing a good job of proving my earlier point though.
I think what's evident here is Chicken fan doesn't understand rivalries, so you really should not try to use the word "point" anymore.

Even Raiderfan forgot you.

I wish there was a way for both these overrated teams to lose.
:lmao:

So, Packers fans (all of them here) are the sorest losers around here, and Seahawks fans (a select few) are the most over-confident that have never won anything.

I like Niners fans. Had the pleasure of hanging with a group 3 years ago in San Fran at the Saints/Niners MNF game. Cheers to you guys!

drummer said:
mad sweeney said:
drummer said:
5Rings said:
mad sweeney said:
goldenchild said:

Guys, it's just an eyebrow... can't we all just get along?

Rivalries seem to pop up every year now thanks to sports media's gross abuse of the term. IMHO a "true" rivalry needs at least one of these to qualify:

1) Both teams with fan bases within immediate vicinities of one another (Giants/Jets)

2) One team having knocked the other team out of the playoffs at least once in recent history (Packers/49ers)

3) A long sustained history of being in the same division (Cowboys/Redskins)

Seeing as how none of the above apply here, I'm gonna have to say no. A tiff between 2 coaches when they were in college is pretty meh. That's like us calling the Lions/49ers a rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread