What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (1 Viewer)

With Kipnis, his BABIP was in the normal range and so were all his pitch f/x ratios. You can blame the injury for his power numbers but he simply swung at more pitches last year and the pitches he swung at ended up as ground balls to second. If he's not selective at the plate he's not really a premium asset at all IMO, especially in average leagues. People thinking a 20+ HR season might be waiting for a really long time, maybe eternity.
His initial oblique injury was on April 30, before the he had more walks than K's. I have a tough time believing that a 27 yo who's coming off 2 very solid seasons just fell apart, completely unrelated to the injury that landed him on the DL for a month.

Think I'm with you on Polanco, though.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I agree with most of it, and that's why I'm having such a difficult time.

I know the OF sucks and that keeping Polanco likely won't work out, but one thing I'm not concerned about is nabbing solid OF bats. Especially old guys that aren't prospects anymore. All those possible keepers came off the wire last year. I know there's a good chance Polanco doesn't pan out or outperform those guys, but I think it's worth the upside gamble.

I'm sort of leaning towards Carter since he should get 1B eligibility soon. I've always had an irrational love for Trumbo, though, and Carter might just be Trumbo without the OF option.

If anyone is still interested in helping an indecisive little pansy pick keepers, since I don't get the warm and fuzzies about any of these hitters, I think I'm just going to do something I've never done before and keep 3 SP.

In that scenario, it'd be Max, Gio, and Wood. Maybe Arrieta is going to pull a Cliff Lee, but I'm not using a keeper spot to find out. Gio is Arrieta with a track record of success and Wood is young.

That means in addition to ditching Kipnis because I hear he's terrible, Polanco or Kinsler's got to go.

I assume 90%+ of you would cut bait with Polanco before Kinsler?

I've been riding the Kinsler train since '06. Age 33 seems like a great time to hop off. Since he's getting older, I might be able to get him back pretty cheap too.

Eephus said:
Dickie Dunn said:
Rotation looks like: Buchholz, Porcello, Masterson, Miley, ?? (Kelly hurt).
It seems crazy that most everyone (including me) considers the Sox as a contender with this set of starters.
Plus Uehera injury turns the bullpen into blah at least for now.

Denard Span took full BP today. Vibe I'm getting from Nats beat guys is that he's gonna be back a lot sooner than the early to mid May return most were predicting. If he's on the waiver wire he might be worth grabbing. Probably should also hold off on Michael Taylor, he might be on the bench in a couple weeks.

Getting the exact opposite vibe about Rendon. If you've got him you better have a backup plan in place for the first month or so at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expecting close to 100k for the two games in Montreal this weekend.

Getting a new stadium will be the biggest issue, but I hope Manfred and MLB have more of an open mind on this and realize what were the reasons that caused it all to go sour on the Expos the first time around.

@BillShaikin: #Angels pres John Carpino: "It defies logic that Josh's reported behavior is not a violation of his drug program."

:lmao:

@BillShaikin: #Angels pres John Carpino: "It defies logic that Josh's reported behavior is not a violation of his drug program."

:lmao:
That's pretty horrendous. Especially since the language of the JDA clearly requires a failed test and Hamilton did not fail a test - he self-reported his drug use.

Angels statement was totally scummy. If he had hit 45 homers last season, I'm sure they would have been "standing by and with josh in this trying time".

Obviously were hoping to recoup some cash on that awful deal. Who would give him such a deal?

Reminds me of the Yankees working to torpedo Arod to get bailed out of their bad deal

I also had my season ticket draft thing that other night. I can boo with you on 8/14 if that is the CLE game you have. #### Kipnis

Yeah I don't know what the Angels had to gain by not being totally supportive after the decision on Hamilton. It is a business and they sure didn't act like it. Emotional response.

Everyone knew Hamilton was a handful. Not even the addiction. Just the day to day babying. Probably one in the same I guess.

Cleveland and Toronto get it. Pitch these guys while you have control of them. Don't baby them until you stare down FA with S. Boras.

They go TJ like they all do then let them do it early in the year's you control. Can even get a discount for future contract at that point.

Why not throw these guys a ton while you have them on the cheap? You also benefit when you find the guys who can throw a lot without diminishing results.

cacksman said:
Anyone signed up for MLB.TV Premium? I'm interested in perhaps tossing over some cash to access an account on my Roku and see my M's play. I'm here in Cincinnati for school, so I don't have much time to watch baseball every day, thus paying full price couldn't be justified, but I would like to be able to catch some games here and there.

I would just wait for the Father's Day deal like I did last season, but I really want to be able to watch opening day, and a few others when I don't have a bunch of tests to cram for. If that's something you're interested in, please PM me and we can figure something out and do Paypal/Venmo. It would just be for one connected device, my Roku, and I've read various threads on Reddit that say they've had success sharing their accounts with even 4 or 5 friends sharing at the same time. Thanks!
So would the local blackout applied to a "shared" account be based on the location of the actual account holder, or would it be based on the IP address you access it with? I'd like to use it to watch the Twins, but they're local for me and would be blacked out if I don't use some VPN, and I wasn't really wanting to deal with all that, especially setting it up on my Roku, which I wouldn't really know how to do. If someone was willing to share (sell?) an account with me on my one device, send me a PM too.

cacksman said:
Anyone signed up for MLB.TV Premium? I'm interested in perhaps tossing over some cash to access an account on my Roku and see my M's play. I'm here in Cincinnati for school, so I don't have much time to watch baseball every day, thus paying full price couldn't be justified, but I would like to be able to catch some games here and there.

I would just wait for the Father's Day deal like I did last season, but I really want to be able to watch opening day, and a few others when I don't have a bunch of tests to cram for. If that's something you're interested in, please PM me and we can figure something out and do Paypal/Venmo. It would just be for one connected device, my Roku, and I've read various threads on Reddit that say they've had success sharing their accounts with even 4 or 5 friends sharing at the same time. Thanks!
So would the local blackout applied to a "shared" account be based on the location of the actual account holder, or would it be based on the IP address you access it with? I'd like to use it to watch the Twins, but they're local for me and would be blacked out if I don't use some VPN, and I wasn't really wanting to deal with all that, especially setting it up on my Roku, which I wouldn't really know how to do. If someone was willing to share (sell?) an account with me on my one device, send me a PM too.
I believe blackouts are based on your IP address, no matter what account you are on. VPN's would be the way to go if you could figure it out. Thankfully that's not an issue for me at the moment.

ETA: this is something that seems like you could use: https://www.unblock-us.com/

Apparently they have video tutorials showing you how to make it work for streaming boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lineups due before start of Sunday game.

I need Wieters to go on D.L. so I can pick up a starting catcher.

I need H. Pence to go on D.L. to pick up a starting outfielder.

I need H. Bailey to go on D.L. so I can pick up a starting UTL.

Sunday going to be dicey. Points league where we play everyone each week. 11-team league. So top score goes 10-0. Worst case scenario is I take three zeroes and lose a few games in the standings likely. Hopefully go 5-5 or so.

Or I have to drop D. Norris, Z. McCallister and K. Graveman to fill spots. Having a large staff getting lots of 2-start sp's huge in my league. D.L. bound players are killing me.

Don't remember it being this bad in previous years.

Users who are viewing this thread