What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (1 Viewer)

Daywalker said:
Any thoughts on Aaron Sanchez, Z. McCallister or K. Gausman?

Currently have Gausman due to the pedigree.

Sanchez has a rotation spot and a solid pedigree. McCallister apparently flashing increased velocity 95+ in ST and has earned a rotation spot.

Thinking of dropping Gausman for one of the two. In a pts league where any 2-start pitcher normally is started.
Not McAllister. Gamble on talent now, especially in a weekly pts league, and if it doesn't work and you need to look for potential over achievers later they will be there.
McAllister is talented.
You think he's better than a potential back ender? I don't, but if you do I'm curious why.

I see middling stuff, makes due by nibbling, doesn't get batters to chase much...really everything about his profile is average/mediocre. He's never been good with runners on base and he was really bad last year.
Going to have to agree with MAC on this one. I don't see the upside here.

Daywalker said:
Any thoughts on Aaron Sanchez, Z. McCallister or K. Gausman?

Currently have Gausman due to the pedigree.

Sanchez has a rotation spot and a solid pedigree. McCallister apparently flashing increased velocity 95+ in ST and has earned a rotation spot.

Thinking of dropping Gausman for one of the two. In a pts league where any 2-start pitcher normally is started.
Not McAllister. Gamble on talent now, especially in a weekly pts league, and if it doesn't work and you need to look for potential over achievers later they will be there.
McAllister is talented.
You think he's better than a potential back ender? I don't, but if you do I'm curious why.I see middling stuff, makes due by nibbling, doesn't get batters to chase much...really everything about his profile is average/mediocre. He's never been good with runners on base and he was really bad last year.
Going to have to agree with MAC on this one. I don't see the upside here.
He's gained 5 MPH on his fastball right? I'll be watching with curiosity.

He's looked great this Spring. I'm not saying he's going to do a Carrasco impression, but I think he's pretty clearly ahead of Sanchez and Gausman, redraft-wise. Worth multiple FAAB dollars, IMO, not auction ones.

I hate to to do it, but I need last minute keeper advice.

5x5 (OBP) Roto League. C/1B/2B/3B/SS/CI/MI/IF/5OF/UT/8SP/3RP

Trying to decide on the 11th and last keeper spot. Down to...

Some old OF/DH '14 breakout guys that I don't really believe in (Blackmon, J.D. Martinez, Carter)

My beloved Trumbo hoping for a bounceback (1B/OF eligible)

Kipnis (don't want to keep him)

A 2nd SP. Likely Gio. Can't get myself to keep Arrieta. Don't trust Alex Wood.

I've talked myself into every guy bolded (don't even get me started on Steve Pearce, who I really believe in).

Kinda sorta have it narrowed down to Gio, Carter or Trumbo for the moment.

Other keepers: Stanton, Miggy, Rizzo, Scherzer, Arenado, Frazier, Marte, Kinsler, Polanco, Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
Your OFers are ####, I'd keep Blackmon or JD. Blackmon bats 2nd and kills in Coors, JD is a guy who will not fade because the power in undeniable. Carter isn't bad either, but with Stanton and Miggy already you might be Ok with power anyway. Plus as Frosty said, Kipnis is the suck.

Your OFers are ####, I'd keep Blackmon or JD. Blackmon bats 2nd and kills in Coors, JD is a guy who will not fade because the power in undeniable. Carter isn't bad either, but with Stanton and Miggy already you might be Ok with power anyway. Plus as Frosty said, Kipnis is the suck.
I agree on the OF, but his IF is lights-out, which makes drafting every year pretty easy: best pitcher avail, best OF avail, best pitcher avail, etc. There's no real need to balance, because he'll naturally be able to balance through the supp. draft every year.

That said, soon you are going to have Rizzo, Cabrera, Arenado, Bryant, and Frazier for your 3 corner spots and your UT, it may be worth exploring a trade. If you could package, say, Frazier and Marte for a really good OF, you might kill two birds with one stone.

Kipnis, I think it's safe to say, was butt last year because he was hurt. He's still young and apparently healthy. Blackmon could lose AB's to Stubbs and is pretty worthless outside of Coors. Martinez can nuke the ball obviously, but his plate discipline was still pretty rough last year and his BABIP was near .400.

All three guys are pretty much the same age. Carter would be a nice luxury, but he's going to clog your UT spot and you have a ton of elite options to stick there.

I agree on the OF, but his IF is lights-out, which makes drafting every year pretty easy: best pitcher avail, best OF avail, best pitcher avail, etc. There's no real need to balance, because he'll naturally be able to balance through the supp. draft every year.

That said, soon you are going to have Rizzo, Cabrera, Arenado, Bryant, and Frazier for your 3 corner spots and your UT, it may be worth exploring a trade. If you could package, say, Frazier and Marte for a really good OF, you might kill two birds with one stone.

Kipnis, I think it's safe to say, was butt last year because he was hurt. He's still young and apparently healthy. Blackmon could lose AB's to Stubbs and is pretty worthless outside of Coors. Martinez can nuke the ball obviously, but his plate discipline was still pretty rough last year and his BABIP was near .400.

All three guys are pretty much the same age. Carter would be a nice luxury, but he's going to clog your UT spot and you have a ton of elite options to stick there.
Kipnis is terrible.

Not sure that is safe to say at all, he might just be butt. I'm buying Blackmon and JD, both have skill sets that lend to fantasy value and I think the skepticism with both is unwarranted. JD is going to crush the ball, I think he will be a streaky play but I see weeks where he's an MVP type and weeks where he is Russell Branyon. Blackmon has the five tool set and he does everything Stubbs does, only better. I start him every game in Coors and then am picky about his road starts, definitely not a start on the road vs Kershaw or Madbum. But I think he ends up with more PAs than Dickerson, and Stubbs is valuable as a bench player who can PH/PR and Blackmon has a little more flexibility with his ability to play all three OF positions well.

Agree that a trade is in order here, a lot of strength at CI and some very attractive parts to move. Frazier is generally undervalued so no use trading him, but Arenado will be a premium trade trip if you aren't extremely high on him (I personally am, just sayin though).

Now that I look at it, I'm not sure I'd keep Polanco over any of the trio of JD, Blackmon, and Carter. Park factor in particular plays a role here, and Polanco may be a little overrated in general.

With Kipnis, his BABIP was in the normal range and so were all his pitch f/x ratios. You can blame the injury for his power numbers but he simply swung at more pitches last year and the pitches he swung at ended up as ground balls to second. If he's not selective at the plate he's not really a premium asset at all IMO, especially in average leagues. People thinking a 20+ HR season might be waiting for a really long time, maybe eternity.

With Kipnis, his BABIP was in the normal range and so were all his pitch f/x ratios. You can blame the injury for his power numbers but he simply swung at more pitches last year and the pitches he swung at ended up as ground balls to second. If he's not selective at the plate he's not really a premium asset at all IMO, especially in average leagues. People thinking a 20+ HR season might be waiting for a really long time, maybe eternity.
I have spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about the 2B position this year. Altuve and Dozier seem primed for regression, and Dee Gordon's second-half stats are much more reflective of his ability than his first four months. Kipnis is intriguing, both for negative and positive reasons. I keep checking every day on his health.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about the 2B position this year. Altuve and Dozier seem primed for regression, and Dee Gordon's second-half stats are much more reflective of his ability than his first four months. Kipnis is intriguing, both for negative and positive reasons. I keep checking every day on his health.
If Altuve maintains his 50% ground ball rate, he's going to be a beast in average and steals. Anything else is a bonus, so if his hammies are healthy he's a stud IMO. Not sure about Dozier, Gordon I could be pulled either way on but he needs to walk more to be truly valuable.

Know who I like? Howie Kendrick.

Know who I like? Howie Kendrick.
Very steady. The old cliche of "won't hurt you".

What do you think of Kolten Wong?
Altuve lite, needs to improve his GB rate but 30 adp places lower than Kipnis with about the same upside.

Josh Harrison is a personal favorite if he has 2B eligibility in your league also. Lawrie and Semien as possible sleepers and MIFer filler while you see how the season unfolds.

You've got a fair amount of talent that should be attractive to a team, are there just no trade options out there? Hell, with a team set to win now I'd also shop Bryant. His value is sky high atm and he could net you a massive return.

And I don't get the hate for Kipnis with no mention of Kinsler. They're in about the same range to me. I'd rather have Kipnis myself, he's 5 years younger and his walk rate didn't get cut in half last season. Plus, Kinsler needed to amass 726 PAs last season to compile his stats. Even if he's healthy all season that's a tough number to reach.

How college group discovered the best Hamels trade

it took five Arizona State grad students using two computer models and countless statistical metrics more than 60 hours over five days to devise what a panel of baseball experts judged the best possible deal for the Phillies ace. Their winning proposal, selected from among all those formulated by 21 teams of collegians, had Boston sending Philadelphia pitchers Henry Owens and Eduardo Rodriquez, plus outfielder Manuel Margot.
Sounds good to me.

We showed up early for a game there and walked up one of the rooftop buildings. They were prepping for the game and gladly let us check out the view. So cool to see from there.

How many of them are blocked now?

We showed up early for a game there and walked up one of the rooftop buildings. They were prepping for the game and gladly let us check out the view. So cool to see from there.

I am rather disappointed I never got to see a game there before these renovations.
I got chills the first time I ever walked in there.
Still do. Love that place.
No matter how much I bash it, and how much I hate the team, there's nowhere on earth that makes me feel like I'm 8 years old again like walking up the stairs, into the box seats, of Wrigley Field

I am rather disappointed I never got to see a game there before these renovations.
I got chills the first time I ever walked in there.
Still do. Love that place.
Sadly, I've only been once. I imagine I'd get them again. I'll try the jacket thing next time though.

From the looks of it, all the ones on Sheffield and most of the ones on Addison. I watched a game from a Sheffield rooftop a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it. Tickets were cheap, beer and bathroom runs were quick and easy. Food was decent. Atmosphere was great.

They had a good run.

From the looks of it, all the ones on Sheffield and most of the ones on Addison. I watched a game from a Sheffield rooftop a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it. Tickets were cheap, beer and bathroom runs were quick and easy. Food was decent. Atmosphere was great.

They had a good run.
This. I'm glad I was able to take in several games from the rooftops.

All inclusive baseball.

His initial oblique injury was on April 30, before the he had more walks than K's. I have a tough time believing that a 27 yo who's coming off 2 very solid seasons just fell apart, completely unrelated to the injury that landed him on the DL for a month.

Think I'm with you on Polanco, though.

His initial oblique injury was on April 30, before the he had more walks than K's. I have a tough time believing that a 27 yo who's coming off 2 very solid seasons just fell apart, completely unrelated to the injury that landed him on the DL for a month.
He was hurt in Spring Training last year too.

However, he had offseason surgery and he's been slowed this Spring with more nagging injuries.

I was buying (read, reaching) a month ago, but I'm getting more and more hesitant as the season nears.

Castillo sent down, so Victorino officially the starting RF for the Sox, for now.

Rotation looks like: Buchholz, Porcello, Masterson, Miley, ?? (Kelly hurt).

Users who are viewing this thread