What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 IDP Injury Overview Starters/key Backups update 6/8/14 (1 Viewer)

Mark Wimer

Hey All y'all,

As you may know, I have long been in charge of the injury overview for offensive skill position players during preseason. This year, Joe Bryant asked me to extend my work in this area to IDPs.

Below is my second cut of the IDP injury overview for 2014. This is a living document, in need of review/comment by the IDP community here at Footballguys.com.

I am sure there are additions that the Footballguys.com community can help me to fold into in this document.

Please do NOT hesitate to post corrections/new items/new persons in injury rehab - I will edit the document and reflect any and all supported updates. Please clip in a link to your source for information.

My focus here is for starters and key backups at IDP positions - not all the undrafted rookies were examined as I had to limit the scope of the project to A). make the document as user-friendly as possible and B) team rosters expand far beyond the likely 53-man limit at this time of the year.

Thanks in advance for any and all help here!

Mark Wimer.

Every year in the NFL, there are a wide array of injuries that have spilled over from last season into the current offseason/preseason. From superstars like Geno Atkins (torn right ACL October 31, 2013) to key backups like Atlanta's Akeem Dent (ankle injury during 2013) it is imperative for fantasy owners to be well-informed about the injuries/rehabilitations that players are working through here in 2014 so that injury risk can be assessed before creating a drafting strategy/rankings/projections for the upcoming season. I've scoured the current, post-draft NFL depth charts to create an overview of the injury issues currently known to affect fantasy-relevant IDP position players (DT, DE, LB, CB, S) as we surge into the spring mini-camps/OTAs portion on the NFL schedule. This edition of the report is current to May 26, 2014. Please note that this report focuses on starters or players who are reportedly competing to start - injured, undrafted free agents currently with one of the 32 NFL teams will probably not be on this report unless they are competing to start this season.

DT:

ARZ: Alameda Ta'amu tore his ACL in Week 17 of the 2013 season, and had corrective surgery on January 11, 2014. Although he was re-signed to a one-year contract on March 6, Ta'amu will likely miss training camp and may start the season on the PUP list.

CIN: Geno Atkins tore his right ACL on October 31, 2013 and was placed on IR November 4. He is rehabbing aggressively and the team hopes he'll be ready to participate in at least part of training camp, with an eye towards having Atkins back in the lineup for Week One of the regular season. It remains to be seen if Atkins can come back from the ACL surgery sufficiently to play in September. Reports on June 1 indicated the Bengals remain hopeful Atkins will be ready for the start of the regular season, but there is plenty of uncertainty.

DAL: DT Henry Melton underwent surgery for a torn ACL in October, 2013 and is expected to be ready for the start of Dallas' training camp - coach Jason Garrett said on March 26, 2014 that it is 'reasonable' to expect Melton to be healed up by August.

DET: DT Nick Fairley is recovering from an undisclosed operation (it was later revealed to be a sleep apnea surgery - MW), and not participating in OTAs as of May 20. Coach Jim Caldwell would only disclose that Fairley is dealing with a 'medical issue.' Fairley expects to return for mandatory minicamp, and may participate in the final voluntary OTA.

IND: Ricky Jean-Francois ended regular season inactive due to a foot sprain. He should be fine for training camp.

JAX: Roy Miller was placed on injured reserve Monday, December 23, 2013 due to a shoulder injury. Miller played much of the season with a torn labrum and corrective surgery is indicated in this case. His status for training camp is unknown as of late May, 2014.

NE: Vince Wilfork tore his Achilles' tendon during the last week of September, 2013. He had successful surgery to repair the injury in October, 2013. He was re-signed to (essentially) a one-year contract by New England in late March - it is uncertain when Wilfork will be ready to take the field again during 2014.

NE: Tommy Kelly tore the right ACL in his knee during Week Five of the 2013 season, and was finally placed on I.R. November 2, 2013 after (perhaps) suffering a setback in practice with the knee. He was re-signed to a minimal contract on March 13, but there is no indication about when Kelly might actually be ready to take the field during 2014.

DE:

ATL: Kroy Biermann suffered a torn Achilles tendon on September 15, 2013 and was placed on I.R. the next day. He started on-field work on March 26 and is considered ahead of his rehab schedule - Biermann is expected to be ready for this year's training camp.

CIN: Carlos Dunlap suffered two concussions last year, including one incurred in mid-December, 2013. While he isn't currently injured, players with multiple concussions are at higher risk to suffer further brain traumas. Given the league's sensitivity to concussions, Dunlap is at higher risk to miss time in upcoming seasons due to his history of brain trauma.

CLE: Desmond Bryant has struggled with irregular heartbeat issues for several years, and last season the Browns placed him on the Non-Football Injury list on December 4, cutting his 2013 season short. He had a medical procedure known as a cardiac ablation to address the issue, and has been cleared for football activities as of March 7, with Bryant fully participating in late-April OTAs.

DAL: After playing in all 16 games last season, George Selvie underwent offseason shoulder surgery in January, 2014. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp this summer.

DEN: DeMarcus Ware underwent successful right elbow surgery in mid-February (a nerve issue was impacting his arm functionality) - he has since been signed to a three-year, $30 million contract with Denver ($20 million guaranteed). It appears that the elbow issue is behind Ware as the Broncos will have thoroughly investigated his health before paying him $20 million guaranteed.

DEN: Derek Wolfe said on February 26, 2014, that in hindsight, he tried to return too quickly from his 2013 preseason spinal-cord injury, which caused his nervous system to shut down in November. He was placed on I.R. due to the seizures that sidelined Wolfe for the final five games of 2013. As of late April, Wolfe asserted that he feels fully recovered, but it remains to be seen how soon he'll rejoin football activities.

DET: Ziggy Ansah is recovering from shoulder surgery (first reported February 21, 2014), but is expected to be ready for Week One of the regular season. His status for the start of training camp is up in the air as of May.

DET: Jason Jones was a limited participant at late-May OTAs. Jones is coming off a ruptured patellar tendon sustained in Week Three of the 2013 season - he is expected to be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season.

DET: Devin Taylor sat out of the late-May OTAs due to a hamstring injury - he should be healed up in time for training camp.

NE: Chandler Jones battled through ankle injuries to both limbs during 2013, but avoided offseason surgery - he is expected to be ready for training camp after rehabbing both injuries.

NYG: Damontre Moore underwent shoulder surgery after the season, it was revealed on February 11, 2014. 'It sucked, I couldn't get to sleep. It was horrible' Moore said regarding why he underwent the minor offseason procedure.

NYG: Jason Pierre-Paul avoided surgery on his injured shoulder after the 2013 season - the team hopes he'll be fully rehabilitated by training camp.

SD: Corey Liuget underwent offseason shoulder surgery early in 2014. During the second preseason game last year, Liuget tore his labrum. He still started all 16 games during 2013 - Liuget is expected to be 100% healthy by the time training camp rolls around.

SF: Ray McDonald had offseason surgery to repair his torn biceps (which he played through during 2013). McDonald should be ready to go in training camp.

LB:

ATL: As of May 18, the word out of Atlanta is that Sean Weatherspoon (December 2013 knee injury) will be sidelined until training camp. Weatherspoon missed the final two games during 2013. He didn't require offseason surgery, but the Falcons are going to be cautious with bringing him back up to speed.

ATL: After last season, reports circulated the Akeem Dent would need offseason ankle surgery. However, it was determined that rest and rehabiliation would be sufficient - Dent avoided ankle surgery and should be ready for 2014 training camp.

CHI: On October 18, 2013 D.J. Williams was placed on injured reserve with a torn left pectoral muscle. He was re-signed by the Bears on March 11, so it appears the torn pectoral muscle is no longer an issue.

CHI: Lance Briggs is expected to wear a harness on his left shoulder this season. He was forced to sit out seven games during 2013 due to a fractured left shoulder.

DAL: Justin Durant struggled with a hamstring issue and was placed on injured reserve in Week 15 of the 2013 season. He'll be in the mix at LB for the Cowboys during training camp.

DAL: Sean Lee reportedly tore his left ACL in a practice session on May 27, 2014. The injury will mean that he misses the 2014 season.

DEN: Von Miller underwent surgery on his torn right ACL in early January, and has a six-to-nine-month rehabilitation facing him - he is unlikely to take part in training camp and his availability for the first part of the 2014 season is unknown as of May 26, 2014.

GB: Clay Matthews had the pins removed from his right thumb in late January. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp, but may be limited during spring OTAs. On May 29 Matthews indicated he will be limited during organized team activities, because he is recovering from a thumb injury but expects to be ready for the start of training camp.

GB: Nick Perry suffered a broken foot in mid-October 2013, and was banged up for most of the season with a variety of other injuries - he appeared in 11 games last year. Perry is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

HOU: Brian Cushing broke his fibula and tore his LCL during Week Seven of the 2013 season. He was medically cleared as of early April, and looks set to fully participate in regular season this year - he may be limited during training camp as he gets back into 'football shape'.

IND: Mario Harvey (undisclosed injury) was placed on injured reserve, December 3, 2013. He is expected to compete for a job at ILB during training camp this year.

JAX: Geno Hayes suffered a knee injury that cut short his 2013 campaign (ruled out for the season finale, and needed an offseason arthroscopic procedure) - he was cleared to resume football activities on May 4, 2014.

NO: Victor Butler tore his ACL in June of 2013, missing the entire 2013 season. He should be ready to go for the 2014 training camp after ~13 months of recuperation and rehabilitation.

PHI: Mychal Kendricks battled thumb issues last season and had it placed in a cast for about a month this offseason to let the loose tendons tighten up. He should be fine for the start of training camp.

SD: Manti Te'o underwent right foot surgery early in January, 2014. The procedure was related to the broken foot that cost Te'o most of the 2013 training camp and the first three games of that season, but it's unclear what kind of operation he had performed. He is expected to be ready for the Chargers 2014 training camp. On May 27, Te'o said he is in the best shape of his life heading into the team's offseason program. 'I'm in the best shape of my life,' Te'o said. 'The way I feel, the control I have over my body, I'm the same weight but physically I'm just different. Mentally, obviously, I have a year under my belt. I can build off of that.'

SD: Dwight Freeney tore his quadriceps muscle late in September, 2013 and was placed on I.R. October 1, 2013. He took a $1 million pay cut to stay with the Chargers this year - he should be in the mix to start during the 2014 training camp.

SEA: Seahawks LB Malcolm Smith (ankle injury/minor corrective ankle surgery) was walking around during organized team activities without a walking boot Monday, June 2. He appears to be on track to participate in training camp.

STL: James Laurinaitis underwent ankle surgery just after the 2013 season. It was a 'cleanup' procedure, and Laurinaitis was reported to be full speed as of late April - he should be ready for OTAs and training camp as usual.

SF: Navorro Bowman tore the ACL and MCL in his knee during the NFC Championship game - he isn't expected to be ready to play football before mid-October, and the team has stated repeatedly that he'll begin the regular season on the PUP list, which will cost him at least the first six games (assuming he is healthy enough to be activated after Week Six). His rehab is reportedly going well, but he was injured during the post-season which pushes his probable rehab into the 2014 regular season.

SF: Patrick Willis underwent surgery on his left thumb in late January and was spotted in a cast. He is expected to be ready to go for the 49ers' training camp.

TB: Jonathan Casillas went on I.R. December 4, 2013 due to a knee injury (unspecified). He was re-signed to a one-year deal on March 7 (which included a $200,000 signing bonus), so it appears the knee woes are a thing of the past as of late May.

TEN: Akeem Ayers underwent offseason knee surgery. He played through the knee injury for the entire 2013 regular season before addressing the knee injury.

CB:

CAR: Charles Godfrey tore his Achilles tendon in Week Two of the 2013 season. He is working on rehabilitating the injury and has reportedly been moved to the cornerbacks' depth chart (rather than playing as a safety).

CHI: Charles Tillman (torn right triceps) said on March 19 that he's still not medically cleared. Tillman ended up needing surgery to repair his triceps and missed eight games during the 2013 season due to the injury.

CIN: The Bengals placed Leon Hall on injured reserve October 29, 2013 with a torn Achilles' tendon, ending his season. As of May 5, 2014 Hall is said to be on track to complete his rehabilitation in time to take part in training camp.

DAL: Morris Claiborne underwent offseason shoulder surgery and also had a minor finger surgery after the season. Claiborne missed six games during 2013 due to a hamstring injury, but reportedly played through the shoulder issue all year. He should be ready for training camp this year.

DEN: Chris Harris (partially-torn left ACL) hopes to be ready for the start of training camp. Harris was injured during the Divisional Round of the 2013 playoffs (mid-January 2014), but is optimistic he'll be ready.

DET: On May 17, Lions coach Jim Caldwell confirmed LCB Chris Houston (toe) is questionable for the start of training camp. He had corrective surgery recently for a toe injury.

DET: Darius Slay had a torn meniscus in his knee surgically repaired in early December, 2013. He is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

HOU: Johnathan Joseph was placed on injured reserve December 24, 2013 due to a toe injury. Joseph had a torn ligament in his toe and reportedly needed corrective surgery. His status for training camp is unclear as of late May.

IND: Greg Toler (groin/sports-hernia surgery) sat out of voluntary workouts early in May. Toler had offseason sports-hernia surgery, and is expected to be 100% in time for the 2014 training camp.

MIA: Cortland Finnegan was placed on I.R. late in November, 2013, due to a fractured orbital bone (a broken eye-socket). He is expected to be fine for Miami's 2014 training camp.

MIN: Josh Robinson suffered a fractured sternum in Week 11 of the 2013 season, eventually being sent to I.R. on December 14, 2013. His status for the start of training camp is unclear as of late May - at the time of he injury he was expected to miss about a month, but then he was sent to I.R.

NO: Champ Bailey struggled with a nagging foot injury during 2013 and only appeared in five games for the Broncos. It remains to be seen if this injury will chronically limit Bailey, or if he has managed to heal up during the offseason.

SD: Steve Williams went on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle on Monday, August 26, 2013. He is curently penciled in as a starting corner-back - Williams should be ready to earn a starting slot during training camp.

SD: Jason Verrett (shoulder injury/surgery) has not beeen able to participate in any of the organized team activities and could miss the start of training camp, because he is recovering from shoulder surgery. Verrett has been standing close to secondary coach Ron Milus or defensive coordinator John Pagano during workouts so he can take mental reps.

SF: Chris Culliver tore his left ACL on Thursday, August 1, 2013 during training camp practice and was placed on I.R. shortly thereafter. Though he is said to be recovering nicely from the injury, Culliver is also in legal jeopardy due to a hit-and-run incident in San Jose, California during March, 2014 (coupled with a felony brass-knuckles-possession weapons charge).

S:

ARZ: On May 19, Cardinals' GM Steve Keim said 'there's a chance' that FS Tyrann Mathieu (knee) will be ready for Week One of regular season. Mathieu tore his left ACL and LCL in early December - he'll be about nine months past that injury as of the first week in September.

BUF: Aaron Williams struggled with back and ribs injuries during 2013, missing the final two games due to his injured ribs. He underwent surgery (for an undefined reason) in mid-January, and then was signed to a four-year, $26 million extension in early March, with over $14 million guaranteed - the team is not concerned by whatever led to Williams' surgery.

CHI: Chris Conte underwent offseason shoulder surgery after appearing in all 16 games last year - he is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

DEN: Rahim Moore underwent surgery November 18, 2013 to repair bleeding in the muscle sheath in his lower left leg. Moore was suffering from lateral compartment syndrome and during December suffered a setback in his return to the field - Moore didn't get back in action.

DET: Glover Quin (ankle) has been limited at the onset of OTAs (as of May 21, 2014). Quin reportedly underwent a 'small procedure' to relieve the pain in his ankle after the 2013 season ended.

NO: Jairus Byrd was limited to 11 games in Buffalo last season due to a nagging foot injury, but he got $28 Million guaranteed from the Saints over a six-year pact during free agency - he is apparently past the problem.

NO: Kenny Vaccaro ended the 2013 season on I.R. due to a broken ankle, which was surgically repaired in late December. The break was described as 'fairly clean' and should be well-healed by the time training camp rolls around.

NO: Saints head coach Sean Payton said FS Jairus Byrd underwent back surgery Thursday, May 29, and will return to the team in a week. Payton said the surgery did not need to be done, but the team wanted to get this cleared up now. Payton said Byrd will be ready to go for training camp.

NYG: Stevie Brown tore his left ACL on August 24, 2013 and missed the 2013 season. However, he is doing well in rehab and is reportedly expected to participate in training camp - he was re-signed by the Giants to a one-year deal on March 11, 2014.

OAK: Tyvon Branch (fibula/ankle) is 100 percent healthy according to local reports on May 1, 2014. Branch went down in Week Two of the 2013 season, but wasn't placed on injured reserve until Week 15. He is expected to be fine for OTAs and training camp.

SD: Marcus Gilchrist suffered a concussion in San Diego's Divisional Round loss to the Broncos. The brain injury is the first known concussion of Gilchrist's career. Hopefully, he won't have a repeat concussion as the league is extending rehabilitation of concussions to very long time-frames.

SEA: Kam Chancellor is recovering from hip surgery (performed sometime late in March/early April), and 'hopes' to be ready for the preseason. His status for training camp is up in the air as of late May.

TB: Mark Barron ended 2013 on the sidelines due to hamstring woes - fantasy owners considering Barron for 2014 will want to monitor how his hamstrings hold up during OTAs/training camp.

TB: Dashon Goldson is reportedly targeting a return to the field for the Bucs' 2014 training camp.
Goldson underwent foot surgery in February and will sit out OTAs and minicamp. 'I think training camp will be a good timetable,' Goldson said on May 20. 'Right now I'm just relying on our training staff to get me back right.'

TEN: Michael Griffin underwent offseason foot and knee operations. Reporteldy (February 19, 2014), the foot procedure was related to plantar fasciitis, while the knee surgery was just a simple injection. We'll see if Griffin recovers quickly enough to take part in training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where to put this but....

[SIZE=12pt]IRVING — It turned quiet at the Cowboys first organized team activity Tuesday when linebacker Sean Lee suffered an injury.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After colliding with an offensive lineman and falling to the turf, Lee appeared to hurt his leg and was escorted off the field to the team’s Valley Ranch facility.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Lee screamed in frustration as he entered the building.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Lee, who has missed 18 games in his career because of injuries and has yet to play a full season, entered the off-season program healthy after recovering from a torn ligament in his neck that caused him to miss the final three weeks of the 2013 campaign.[/SIZE]

JaxBill said:
Not sure where to put this but....

[SIZE=12pt]IRVING — It turned quiet at the Cowboys first organized team activity Tuesday when linebacker Sean Lee suffered an injury.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]After colliding with an offensive lineman and falling to the turf, Lee appeared to hurt his leg and was escorted off the field to the team’s Valley Ranch facility.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Lee screamed in frustration as he entered the building.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Lee, who has missed 18 games in his career because of injuries and has yet to play a full season, entered the off-season program healthy after recovering from a torn ligament in his neck that caused him to miss the final three weeks of the 2013 campaign.[/SIZE]
Thanks, got it. The team has yet to officially confirm, but reports indicate a MRI confirmed torn left ACL. Done for the season.

updated with latest news June 8, 2014
Mark, I am a big fan of this informative thread. Going forward is there any way you could somehow highlight the just the changes whenever you do an update? Maybe bold and/or italics, whatever is convenient. That would be very helpful if not too much trouble since then we wouldn't have to re-read everything. Thanks!

Another one down. Weatherspoon ruptured his Achilles. https://twitter.com/sigmundbloom/status/476520664443002882
Who is the pickup here?
Seriously, inquiring minds want to know about this one. Is it one of the rookies? Prince Shembo or Yawin Smallwood? Someone else? It's tough reading the tea leaves...
is that rhetorical? Otherwise at this point we are all guessing. Bartu looks like first in-line but until camp starts and possibly a rookie stands out, no one really knows.

Users who are viewing this thread