What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Kick and Punt Returner thread (1 Viewer)

Which scoring system for *individual* player return yards have you used the most often?

• 1 point per 5 return yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 point per 10 return yards

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • 1 point per 15 return yards

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • 1 point per 20 return yards

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • 1 point per 25 return yards

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • 1 point per 30 return yards

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • 1 point per 35 return yards

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 1 point per 40 or more return yards

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters
Bears released Santonio Holmes.

Anyone finding any team quotes or even media speculation on who they will use on punts now? Chris Williams handled one during the game so he's my best bet for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal and sometimes Keenan Allen on punts. Haven't seen anything to suggest Chris Davis won't continue on kick returns. He's off to a better start than anyone else has done for them this year.

Normally though you want to start the opposing kick returner.

Is TJ Carrie still returning kicks for Oakland against San Diego this Sunday? His point projections on yahoo dropped dramatically yesterday for some odd reason, as if he lost the return job. Anyone know? Thanks!

Is TJ Carrie still returning kicks for Oakland against San Diego this Sunday? His point projections on yahoo dropped dramatically yesterday for some odd reason, as if he lost the return job. Anyone know? Thanks!
He's injured, missed last week's game and it's not clear yet if he's going to play this week.

There had been some speculation that Marqise Lee might get some time at punt returner for Jacksonville, though he is moving up the WR depth chart now due to injury, so that might keep him away from the job. Will have to see how it plays out.

Goodwin was inactive. Hard to say who they will go with if he's healthy (which he rarely seems to be). I haven't seen any coach quotes about it yet.

McKelvin fractured an ankle and so both returner jobs are kind of up in the air right now.

Royal and sometimes Keenan Allen on punts. Haven't seen anything to suggest Chris Davis won't continue on kick returns. He's off to a better start than anyone else has done for them this year.

Normally though you want to start the opposing kick returner.
Of any home/away split, looks like SD has had the most returned kicks at home - 23. Oakland returned 6 kicks for 140 yds last year, so whoever Oakland puts back there should be good for 12-14 pts at 1 pt / 10 yds.

So not the right forum, but not many places to get advice for return yard type leagues.

Davante Adams or devin Hester this week in a 1pt/10 return yard league. Thanks in advance for any input!

So not the right forum, but not many places to get advice for return yard type leagues.

Davante Adams or devin Hester this week in a 1pt/10 return yard league. Thanks in advance for any input!
Hester probably has the higher upside. Carolina doesn't get many kickoffs returned at home (average 1 per game) and average amount of punts but they are a bottom 5 team in giving up yards per return for both kickoffs and punts. Hester also benefits from the occasional offensive play. Adams didn't play much last week and is obviously an after thought with Cobb and Nelson there.

Has anyone seen any info on the Oakland kickoff return situation and is Whalen still returning kicks for Indianapolis? That game could have massive return opportunities.

Yes on Whalen, though TY has gotten some opportunities sprinkled in.

Haven't seen anything on Oakland, just practice reports for Carrie.

Was Leonard Johnson the primary kick returner for Tampa this week? Could be very newsworthy as a defensive player.

Heron returned kicks this week for IND. Hard to tell if that will continue since he may be needed more with the Bradshaw injury.

Bryce Brown was on returns in Buffalo.

Looks like Carlos Hyde was on returns in SF. Could be a nice mix of a handcuff and kick returner in the right format.

Adam Jones took KRs in Cincy. I would guess Cadet takes over punts in NO.

Danieal Manning continues to return kicks in Houston but could be a good sell high with a tough upcoming schedule for returners.

Chris Davis continued to return kicks in San Diego. Murray was the returner this week in Oakland with Carrie out. Murray is supposed to get a longer look on offense now so I wouldn't count on his continued presence in the return game.

Blount was released by Pittsburgh after he left the field early, upset over not getting any carries in the game.

On the Colts, they were using both Whalen and Herron as returners, both back deep, but the Patriots kept kicking it to the left which is the side Herron was on. Late in the game the Colts switched it up and moved Whalen to the left, but it was a touchback.

Though all that may end up being moot. The Colts have just signed Josh Cribbs.

Was Leonard Johnson the primary kick returner for Tampa this week? Could be very newsworthy as a defensive player.
Thigpen was still the primary returner. Just a series of squib and short kickoffs that kept the ball out of his hands.

I started Thigpen and Whalen in my return league. -2.0 combined, that was awesome.

Murray from OAK could be a great add if he continues to get more looks as RB and keeps his KR job.

Carrie is averaging over 3 and a half yards more per return on kickoffs. Last game Murray was below 19 yards a return. I would expect them to go back to Carrie if the ankle stops bothering him.

Would they really risk putting Carrie back on kick return duty after missing multiple weeks with an ankle injury? Not sure. The Raiders secondary is really depleted too which is more of a reason not to risk him on return duty. I'm debating whether or not to finally drop Carrie but its hard to pull the trigger.

So does this mean that Latavius Murray will continue kick return duties along with more snaps at running back? Anyone know?

So does this mean that Latavius Murray will continue kick return duties along with more snaps at running back? Anyone know?
Hard to say for sure but that would be my guess. I don't expect Oakland is going to let us know and tip off their player usage to the Chiefs. Murray has done poorly enough, plus some coaches want to keep a player fresh for offense, that it wouldn't be a complete surprise if they tried someone else. So not a situation I'd feel completely confident about.

Thanks for the response Greg. It's greatly appreciated. Would you hold on to Carrie if you have him and your league has return yard points, thinking that he might go back to the return gig once he gets back from his injury? Or is it just time to let him go and get someone else for the roster spot?

The top average kickoffs for opponents that are returned for this week look like:

San Diego home - 5.6

New England home - 4.0

Dallas away - 4.0

Kansas City away - 3.8

Totals on Thursday have been trending over at about 75% the last ~25 games, so it would seem whoever returns for Oakland should have a fair amount of opportunities (Oakland averages 3 returns per game at home which is tied for 3rd this week when looking at splits)

Thanks for the response Greg. It's greatly appreciated. Would you hold on to Carrie if you have him and your league has return yard points, thinking that he might go back to the return gig once he gets back from his injury? Or is it just time to let him go and get someone else for the roster spot?
It's possible they might limit him due to needs on defense, though if the coaches said that I missed it. I'd probably hold onto him unless you really need the roster spot or do see a better option available. As someone who handled both punts and kicks he gets some extra value there. And his replacements really haven't performed at his level.

Hamstring issues for Marlon Moore and Chris Williams. Taylor Gabriel probably replaces Moore though they have a few options. Chicago signed Marc Mariani to fill in for Williams.

Does anyone know if the change to Omar Bolden is permanent in Denver? If so he will be an elite DB with his remaining schedule. In weeks 13, 15, and 16 he gets teams that lead the league in return yards allowed away from home.

Also, any updates on T.J. Carrie?

Bishop Sankey could be an intriguing hold in return leagues. He had a stretch as the primary returner in the middle of the game against the Eagles last week. I think Washington may have exited early. However, Sankey did not end the game as the returner.

Sparano said Carrie might return this week, though I didn't hear that he actually addressed the return game.

Sankey suffered a stinger... I guess there some reports it might have been a concussion.

Not sure if the change to Bolden is permanent, but based on how he did, I'd think he'll get another shot this week.

Where is the best place to find info on whether or not a player like Omar Bolden will be returning kicks this weekend? Most depth charts are way outdated. Team websites? Blogs?

Where is the best place to find info on whether or not a player like Omar Bolden will be returning kicks this weekend? Most depth charts are way outdated. Team websites? Blogs?
There really isn't any great place because the news frequently isn't out there to be reported. Much of the time coaches don't tell anyone what they plan to do for obvious reasons. Or they say one thing and then do another. Or the reporter reports something but he's speculating. And a lot of times when a reporter does report something, it's one of those little one sentence blurbs at the end of an article, which the various news blogs don't always report so you may not be able to find it.

For a specific individual player, your best bet is probably google, and use the ability to restrict the date range to limit it to recent articles.

Thigpen was released by the Bucs, and picked up off waivers by the Bills. Media speculating the Bucs will go with Rainey and/or Mike James.

Josh Cribbs has 281 return yards in two games. He had a punt return for a TD vs JAX after bobbling the catch called back because one of his blockers didn't allow a JAX player back into play (I don't think it would have impacted the return)

He's returned 6/7 kicks and 8/12 possible punts (one other was a touchback) - he definitely looks like someone who is eager to return the ball. Definitely a must own in punt/kick return leagues if not owned already.

*ETA punt return for TD

Cribbs looks like he has a favorable week 15 vs Houston but a rough week 14 and 16 at Cleveland and at Dallas
I don't think matchups are going to matter with him - he really is not looking to kneel down kickoffs or fair catch punts. He is literally returning kicks nine yards deep.:

J.Scobee kicks 74 yards from JAX 35 to IND -9. J.Cribbs pushed ob at IND 37 for 46 yards (S.Martin).

He is going to get 8-10 returns per game and I believe a solid 12-18 pts per game with a high possibility of breaking one (which he basically did vs JAX)

Percy is still the returner but Miami kicked away from him with squib kicks the whole game. Didn't give him a single opportunity.

Cribbs isn't practicing yet, something with his knee.

Rainey had a walking boot yesterday but wasn't wearing it today.

Cribbs isn't practicing yet, something with his knee.

Rainey had a walking boot yesterday but wasn't wearing it today.
Ugh. Suggested Murray and he gets a concussion. Suggested Cribbs and he's hurt

I really want him to be returning in Cleveland:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/josh_cribbs_cleveland_browns.html

Cribbs said if there's anyway he can keep the first kickoff Sunday from going out of the end zone he plans to run it out. "Don't expect too many touchbacks," he added.

Is Omar Bolden still the KR in Denver? I saw Caldwell got a return today. Any snap counts there would be very appreciated.

Looks like Travis Carrie is back in the saddle in OAK. I think Atkinson III was active but not involved.

Not much else out of the ordinary this week.

Also, how is Denver at kick return prevention on the road? I'm trying to gauge his matchup and see if a DB with less risk like Cyprien is a better call for week 15.

I saw that Omar Bolden split kickoff duties with Caldwell against the Bills. Anyone know if this was a fluky thing or if Bolden will be back their full time again or what? It's a great matchup against San Diego.

Look like Carrie is back to doing kickoff and punt returns. At least that's what he did last weekend. He has another good matchup against the Chiefs.

Users who are viewing this thread