What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Shark Pool mock draft - The SECOND one (1 Viewer)

Love your argument about stronger lines making players behind them better...no doubt about it...true statement. but if good WR's are available every year in UDFA, explain how we have the putridest WR roster in the league?
Some teams have bad guards. We need a right guard. Doesn't mean they aren't easier to find than corners or left tackles.

Also, I am less than thrilled about the pass rushers I am guessing will be available at our 2nd round pick. Think I'll love WRs there.

1.03- Vic Beasley, LEO, Clemson

Most of the draft world has mocked Dante Fowler to the Jags with this pick. However, I think Vic Beasley is a perfect fit for Gus Bradley's defense. He isn't just a workout warrior, as his tape is excellent (52.5 tackles for loss, 33 sacks). I think he'll feast in this defense.
Any concerns about playing weight?

I seem to not be posting this right so hopefully not a duplicate ... WAS has agreed to a trade with ATL. WAS sends pick #5 to ATL for their 1st and 3rd round picks.

They would consider Fowler if the draft went this way, but I figure they can trade down as low as #12 and still get a player they need, and the extra 3rd rounder gives us another pick to grab a CB, S, or OL depth.

I'll be at Redskins Park this afternoon for a private tour of the facility that we won from my company. Maybe I can sneak into the draft room :)

And I think there is a 100% chance Mariota goes #2. Whether it is TEN or someone trading up for him. I also think WAS will trade out of #5 with someone after White or Cooper.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.03- Vic Beasley, LEO, Clemson

Most of the draft world has mocked Dante Fowler to the Jags with this pick. However, I think Vic Beasley is a perfect fit for Gus Bradley's defense. He isn't just a workout warrior, as his tape is excellent (52.5 tackles for loss, 33 sacks). I think he'll feast in this defense.
Any concerns about playing weight?
Not at his current weight, but can he keep it on is the question that I'd have. There was concern based on his pre-combine weight. But he carried it well. The Jags need a force of the edge and Beasley fills it perfectly. It's not like he's Randy Gregory sized.

Wash trades with Atl

Atl sends the 8th overall and their 3rd round pick to Washington for the #5

ATL selects DE Dante Fowler DE

ATL desperately needs a pass rusher and with this pick the get the best in the draft while only costing them an extra 3rd round pick.

ATL could have stood pat to get a good DE (Ray, Gregory or Dupree) but Fowler is pretty much everyone's top prospect at the position (assuming Williams is rated as a DT)

With a great combine Fowler secured this selection. He can rush the passer, drop in coverage and tackle on all 3 downs.

Fowler is an immediate starter and probably the best defensive player on ATL's team.

He will be a nice centerpiece to try to build the Seattle defense around.

Solid all-around. Good for WAS to not move down too far, and good for ATL to get Fowler.
Thanks.

#1 Need for ATL and #2 player on their board (behind Williams probably).

The 3rd rounder was well worth it and matched up pretty close on the trade chart.

1.06 (#6) -- Jets select Kevin White, WR, West Virginia

What to say? Big, fast, strong, athletic. Number 3 or 4 overall on most boards. Had a hard time with deciding between him and Cooper, but went with White simply because of size. Fascinating profiles of them both on Sports Science at ESPN. Cooper is actually slightly faster in an infared timed test instead of a hand stopwatch 40, has the top 20 yard shuttle and cone drill of all prospects. Runs every route imaginable. So why White? Hands, size, explosiveness.

Why this is good for the Jets: Well, Beasley and Fowler got sniped, but this was the pick all along. Gailey ran a spread in Buffalo with Fitzpatrick, Geno ran a spread in college at W.Va, and this gives the Jets four top-notch receivers in Marshall, Decker, White, and Kerley. Geno can slip back into the shotgun where he's most comfortable. If he stinks, Fitz has already run the system. Plus, and more simply: I think White is the best player available.

There were no sexy picks to be made after the Was/Atl trade. Scherff fits a need, but at this point in the draft, just don't think too hard about needs. Get the best player. That's the draft philosophy on my end.

Do people really see WR as the pick for the Jets? With Marshall, Decker and Kerley, I just see that as pretty good for them and, with Bowles now the coach, I would think they would try to get a defensive stud for the defensive stud coach.

Just the opinion on a Patriots homer.

I was thinking we would see a pass rusher here or a trade down. (Which was the reason I wanted to get ahead of you for ATL)

Not that I don't like White (even though I personally don't) but I don't see the WR being a huge need as would expect to see Dupree or Ray here.

The addition of Marshall in the offseason and Decker last year makes them pretty solid and Amaro looked a lot better than I thought he would and add in Kerley in the slot and I see that position looking pretty good already.

Maybe Couple still has a shot to make an impact (and that could change the way i see it) under a new regime but I would be surprised to see this pick happen.

1.02 - Marcus Mariotta - Team Unknown

If, by some miracle, the Titans don't trade this pick then I think the guy they'd take is Leonard Williams. They signed Orakpo so the don't need a pass rusher. They could possibly take a WR as Justin Hunter just doesn't seem to have "it" and beyond Wright, the cupboard is pretty bare.
Why don't you pick a trade and roll with that for the mock?

Do people really see WR as the pick for the Jets? With Marshall, Decker and Kerley, I just see that as pretty good for them and, with Bowles now the coach, I would think they would try to get a defensive stud for the defensive stud coach.

With Fowler and Beasley gone, I think it's a tougher choice. I think White and Coop are better prospects than Ray, and maybe you don't wanna wrestle the bong from Gregory's hand before every game.

I was thinking we would see a pass rusher here or a trade down. (Which was the reason I wanted to get ahead of you for ATL)

Not that I don't like White (even though I personally don't) but I don't see the WR being a huge need as would expect to see Dupree or Ray here.

The addition of Marshall in the offseason and Decker last year makes them pretty solid and Amaro looked a lot better than I thought he would and add in Kerley in the slot and I see that position looking pretty good already.

Maybe Couple still has a shot to make an impact (and that could change the way i see it) under a new regime but I would be surprised to see this pick happen.
In fairness, I considered both the Bowles defensive angle and trading down with Cleveland. But that never got off the ground because this happened a bit quickly. The Fowler pick made mine that much easier. Yeah, a hybrid guy for a hybrid defensive coach would have been awesome, but it wasn't to be.

I'll live with the White or Coop pick and reinventing the spread under Gailey. Kevin White and Amari Cooper are absolute studs. The Jets, at least, didn't draft another tight end.

Absolutely. Marshall is on the downside and the others are more #2/#3 guys.

I'm surprised that no Saint fans signed up for New Orleans.

I can pitch hit for them if no Saint fan claims them by the time they are on the clock to keep things moving along.

If, by some miracle, the Titans don't trade this pick then I think the guy they'd take is Leonard Williams. They signed Orakpo so the don't need a pass rusher. They could possibly take a WR as Justin Hunter just doesn't seem to have "it" and beyond Wright, the cupboard is pretty bare.
One would think trading in the mock would be easier than in reality. So if you can't make a deal here, what convinces you that Tennessee will be able to make a deal? Or want to? FWIW, I think you're right, that they want to trade out, but I'm less the 50% sure they will.

I'm all but certain that Mariotta is going to go #2 and by default that the Titans aren't going to pick there.
You're a lot more confident than I would be, but that's what makes this interesting. And it's why I didn't want to draft for them.

I'm not crazy about doing trades in this iteration, but I could definitely see the Atlanta/Washington trade. If Beasley goes early like this (and he could) then Fowler would be a hot commodity and wouldn't make it past Chicago. So that one fits.

Absolutely. Marshall is on the downside and the others are more #2/#3 guys.
agreed. Their D is pretty dang good already. Their O needs work.

Although Cooper might be the better pick, it's certainly debateable.

One would think trading in the mock would be easier than in reality. So if you can't make a deal here, what convinces you that Tennessee will be able to make a deal? Or want to? FWIW, I think you're right, that they want to trade out, but I'm less the 50% sure they will.

I'm all but certain that Mariotta is going to go #2 and by default that the Titans aren't going to pick there.
You're a lot more confident than I would be, but that's what makes this interesting. And it's why I didn't want to draft for them.
I thought it would be understood, since we've done this a couple times now, that this mock would be more reflective of what we expect to happen - not what we'd do if we were GM.

But I should have made that more clear, so that's my bad.

Anyway, it's not necessary to do an "official" trade in this mock because we can have our cake and eat it too, i.e. we can say that Mariota is off the board at #2 but then talk about what the possible teams involved would do if they DON'T trade up as well as what Tennessee would do if they did.

Edit: Twist my arm to pick which scenario is most likely then I'd say Cleveland trading both 1st and something else.

Still have teams that need representation

18 Kansas City
20 Philadelphia
21 Cincinnati
23 Detroit
24 Arizona
28 Denver
30 Green Bay

With your secondary you better hope not

With your secondary you better hope not
I just see the Jets as a team that could very well have a dominant defense already; put another big-time stud there (with Bowles in NY now) and they would be scary.

I would agree that trades should only happen if they seem very likely, don't want teams trading just to trade. They are so hard to predict, I try and avoid them personally in my mocks.

If needed, I can double whoever to fill it out, but people who just want one should get priority obviously. Let me know.

If needed, I can double whoever to fill it out, but people who just want one should get priority obviously. Let me know.
Still prefer people to have ownership (even if two teams) than some consensus chatting when they on the clock.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I can 'double' in that I would take two teams personally.
Still prefer people to have ownership (even if two teams) than some consensus chatting when they on the clock.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant I can 'double' in that I would take two teams personally.
oh, no I gotcha, and I agree, one owner per team is best.

I would agree that trades should only happen if they seem very likely, don't want teams trading just to trade. They are so hard to predict, I try and avoid them personally in my mocks.

I have a pretty strong belief Miami will be trading down, so I would like to here as well.

Because the NFL version of "I don't want it" "oh I'll take it" has occurred.

First it was Eagles, then Browns, then Bears, then Chargers. There's always going to be the notion that some teams are interested and haven't made it public or prefer to be quiet about it.

IMO the only way they don't trade it is if (quite possible) they ask for too much in return.

Also, fwiw I'd be shocked if they draft Mariota and not Williams at that spot. Same praise articles as other top guys, but then there's the articles of he and Casey chatting/getting phone numbers.

1.07 Chicago Bears select..

Amari Cooper, WR , Alabama

Alshon Jeffrey needs a running mate and who better than Cooper ? Will give Cutler (or the next QB) a target that can get open quickly allowing Jeffrey to continue stretching the field.

Perfect marriage of value/need

Washington takes: SHANE RAY, OLB (I guess it could be Gregory, but the ganja caused a problem there)

Danny Snyder – “Damn it Scot. I just heard our pick. Why the hell aren’t you protecting my boy RG3? He’s still going to get killed. Isn’t there some fat ### you can draft to replace those Compton and Chester schmucks?”

Scot – “Mr. Snyder, the fastest way to build a winning team is defense. We still need cornerbacks and a safety. And with Shane Ray rushing the passer it makes our coverage guys less vulnerable and makes Kerrigan a total stud.”

Danny – “Kerrigan. Who gives a crap about that guy? I brought you in here to make RG3 better. Why aren’t you giving him another target or filling that gaping hole on the right side of the line so he doesn’t get hurt?”

Scot – “Calm down Dan, sorry, I mean Mr. Snyder. I hope to add some offensive linemen later. I considered Brandon Scherff, but he’s really a guard. There will be some later, and with a better defense the offense will be on the field more. Gives us more chances to move the ball.”

Danny – “BS. More time on the field for our offense? That just gives RG3 more chances to slide and rip up a knee so Jay can put in that guy from Texas…what’s his name…he was on the team last year.”

Scot – “You mean Colt McCoy, sir?”

Danny - “I guess. McCoy. Cousins? Whatever. Nobody cares. And how the hell am I supposed to market some guy with two first names? Ray Shane? Shane Ray? Whoever he is. You’re killing my bottom line, Scot.”

Scot – “Shane Ray sir. He has a great motor. Trust me Mr.Snyder. I will find you some offensive linemen later in the draft. That’s why I made a trade out of #5. To get us more picks.”

Danny – “You traded down? When was somebody going to tell me this? Did you authorize this George? George … George … GEORGE

George – “Sorry. I was sorting the new uniforms sir.”

Danny – “You ever heard of this trade down stuff? Sounds bogus.”

Bruce – “Haven’t really heard of trading down. I think the Patriots do it, sir. Not sure if it’s worked for them. I saw they had trouble winning off the field. Haven’t really paid attention to how they were doing otherwise.”

Danny – “Those cheaters. Now listen Scot, and listen good. You got 1 year to get this right or it’s back to AA. Anyway, I guess this draft is over. I got to get back to my helicopter. George, setup a private plane for Ray Shane so we can bring him in for the press to crush. And get me a ####### scotch.”

Bruce – “Yes sir.”

Scot – “Thanks for bringing me on board, Mr. Snyder.”

I think they'll line up last year's 2nd rounder Murphy opposite Kerrigan.

I don't think Ray goes top 10.

Dallas and Minnesota complete a trade:

Minnesota gets:

Brandon Carr CB

Dallas'first round pick (27)

Dallas' third round pick (90)

Cowboys get:

Adrian Peterson

Minnesota's second pick (45)

Users who are viewing this thread