What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 DYNASTY ROOKIE DRAFT (Projections) (1 Viewer)

I can't comment on the 2017 class because I avoid any talk as much possible to I have a relatively clean slate going into each draft. 

If this years and last years classes were combined I think I would tier the top end a bit different than most. As prospects of course. 

1) Gurley

2a) White, Elliot

2b) Cooper, Doctson*

3) Treadwell, Yeldon

4) Henry, Gordon

5) Coleman, Dorsett

6) Parker, DGB, Lawler

After that I'm not really sure. My opinions are not solid on this years guys yet and I'm mostly going on the "feeling" I get thinking back to last year. 

Doctson has some legitimate flags that came up, which is why I might bump him down one spot. These might not be actual negatives but they all kind of point to a chance there's some fools gold with him. 

He measured in short and he didn't have giant mantis arms. He got a lot of production from scramble/extended plays. He faced lots of off coverage. He went up against a lot of smaller DBs. He only played on one side of the field. Supposedly, he runs ugly outside routes which would mean, for whatever reason, he struggles to run routes to his right. 

His stock is going to be very dependant out his combine performance. I think he will surprise in the 40. I heard someone say they wouldn't be surprised if he ran a 4.71 which to he sounds crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran under 4.5 but it's doubtful. 

His most important number will be the vert. He's to skinny to bully NFL DBs and if he can get up high over them, I don't know if I can keep him that high. 

What Doctson's size is does not really concern me. He plays big when the ball is in the air, I know that.

There isn't another rookie prospect I have read as much about as Doctson, as he has been a popular target for the Vikings in mock drafts and other stuff I have been reading.

I have heard concerns with how Doctson gets off the line against press. This is an area where Parker excels but Doctson hasn't been tested. The question marks for me are how does Doctson win if he is not going deep? A natural question to ask when thinking about matching him with Teddy Bridgewater. He is a gifted player when the ball is in the air, he can win with the slant route or the corner route. I am not sure about his out route. Interesting comments regarding that from Borden above. 

He has shown some ability to change gears and use that to gain separation from defenders, it is the short area quickness that concerns me somewhat.

In comparing Doctson to Parker from last year, I think Parker can win in similar ways to Doctson on the deep ball and the corner route, but Parkers release off the line is also excellent and he can get open quickly in the route, which is what Bridgewater (or any QB) really needs.

Some people do not consider Docston to be a 1st round talent, while Parker always was considered a top half talent WR. To me that suggests there is a significant gap in their respective talent levels, my own personal observations of the two players concurs with this as well. While I can see Doctson being a 1st round pick, I do not think it is a lock the way it was with Parker last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_blackdot.gif

What Doctson's size is does not really concern me. He plays big when the ball is in the air, I know that.

There isn't another rookie prospect I have read as much about as Doctson, as he has been a popular target for the Vikings in mock drafts and other stuff I have been reading.

I have heard concerns with how Doctson gets off the line against press. This is an area where Parker excels but Doctson hasn't been tested. The question marks for me are how does Doctson win if he is not going deep? A natural question to ask when thinking about matching him with Teddy Bridgewater. He is a gifted player when the ball is in the air, he can win with the slant route or the corner route. I am not sure about his out route. Interesting comments regarding that from Borden above. 

He has shown some ability to change gears and use that to gain separation from defenders, it is the short area quickness that concerns me somewhat.

In comparing Doctson to Parker from last year, I think Parker can win in similar ways to Doctson on the deep ball and the corner route, but Parkers release off the line is also excellent and he can get open quickly in the route, which is what Bridgewater (or any QB) really needs.

Some people do not consider Docston to be a 1st round talent, while Parker always was considered a top half talent WR. To me that suggests there is a significant gap in their respective talent levels, my own personal observations of the two players concurs with this as well. While I can see Doctson being a 1st round pick, I do not think it is a lock the way it was with Parker last season.
How much of this opinion do you think is due to a talent gap, and how much of it could be due to the over saturation of very good wr the last few years combined with how deep this draft is defensively?

From my perspective I thought Doctson was a 1st round talent. At the time of that post I had just listened to Luke Inman saying that many talking heads and whoever he listens to did not consider Doctson a 1st round talent, and he was agreeing with them at that time. Luke has since recanted that position after he spent more time watching him.

Luke as his twitter handle suggests needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He asks very good questions at times during the press conferences though and gets some unique information at times.

Anyhow I do think Doctson has WR 1 potential for fantasy football and I would rank him in the same tier with the other WR from the last two draft classes that I considered having that kind of upside. I would rank him below Beckham, Cooper, Watkins, Evans, Parker, but at that point it starts to get interesting because I have never been completely sold on Kevin White.

From 2014 I had Benjamin and Allen Robinson as tier 2 WR prospects. Post draft they moved to tier one. As rich as the depth of those draft classes was I think Doctson belongs with them and Cooks, Matthews, Adams, Landry, Lee, and ahead of the second tier guys from 2015 like Dorial Green-Beckham, Dorsett, Lockett, Coates, Strong ect.

The last couple drafts have been pretty good on the defensive side as well. There just doesn't appear to be the same depth at WR as the last couple years. Many of those WR from 2014 have washed out in my eyes already like Lee and Adams. There are always some misses too. I keep questioning if I have watched enough of the 2016 to compare them. Can't say I have so maybe I am just missing some players from 2016 because I didn't watch them. I know I was a lot more excited about watching players the past couple years than I have been this one.

Users who are viewing this thread